Jimbo's Battle Log

I start my first challenge next Monday, but I re-started StrongLifts 5x5 with a barbell today.

September 11, 2013

Workout A

squats:

5x5 @ 45 lb.

bench press:

5x5 @ 45 lb.

barbell row:

5x5 @ 65 lb.

I weigh about 283 lb. No one is watching, so I do not look ridiculous lifting these small weights.

I have lost about 40 lb. since February and am trying to lose another 80-85 with paleo eating. I understand that my calorie deficit will limit my progress on SL5x5. So be it. SL5x5 will help me burn fat while preventing, or at least minimizing, muscle loss. I normally eat more than 200 grams of good protein per day.

My first challenge thread is here: http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/36589-jimbos-first-challenge/

Jim

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson

battle log  | current challenge

September 14, 2013

Workout A: 50 mins

squats:

5x5 @ 55 lb.

bench press:

5x5 @ 50 lb.

barbell row:

5x5 @ 70 lb.

I know I'm not supposed to do SL two days in a row, with no recovery day in-between, but I wanted to adjust my workout days to Mon, Wed, and Fri, and the weights are still very low. For the latter reason, no warmup sets yet.

I'm sure my form stinks. I plan to re-watch Mehdi's form videos again before Monday's workout.

September 20, 2013

Workout B: 60 mins.

squats:

2x5 @ 45 lb.

5x5 @ 70 lb.

overhead press:

2x5 @ 45 lb.

5x5 @ 55 lb.

deadlift:

2x5 @ 90 lb.

1x5 @ 110 lb.

Alas, my weight was up 1.9 lb. this morning. Not the right direction for a challenge to lose 10 lb. I guess this is part of the challenge when I work out with increasing weights and eat large amounts of protein. Oh, well.

September 25, 2013

Workout B: 65 mins.

squats:

2x5 @ 45 lb. warmup

1x5 @ 70 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 80 lb.

overhead press:

2x5 @ 45 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 60 lb.

deadlift:

1x5 @ 90 lb. warmup

1x5 @ 110 lb. warmup

1x5 @ 120 lb.

When I do the OP, it feels as if my left elbow is sticking out in odd direction or making an odd movement not felt on the right side. I need to start videotaping to identify form issues.

How did you manage to lose the first

40lbs and how long did it take?

I lost the first 40 eating paleo and not exercising. I've been pretty strict, with no grains at all and no dairy at all. It took about 6 months and went very quickly. I've plateaued somewhat since starting to exercise regularly. Since restarting StrongLifts 5x5 with a barbell (I first tried it with dumbbells), my weight has actually gone up a trifle, even though I am eating at a calorie deficit. I'm not too worried about the tiny weight gain because I know I'm building lean muscle mass and still losing fat. Increasing my lean muscle mass should improve my calorie-burning and fat-burning metabolism.

Hi, Jimbo!  I video taped every thing I did for about 8 months.  Went through 12 weeks of p90x and then about 5 months or so doing barbell work with Starting Strength and then 5/3/1.  It's what we have to do sometimes when we lift in the privacy of our own home, otherwise we don't know how to stomp out bad habits before they become a problem.  Not only that but its fun to go back and watch actual performance going UP.  Keep up the good work, man.

With great size comes great responsibility.

My 5/3/1 Year project. Lifting Log

Although I worked out this morning, I tried to start doing assistance exercises this evening, with the ultimate objective of being able to do pull-ups at some point. Hah! This is as far as I got:

September 30, 2013

Assistance Exercises: 35 mins.

DB Standing Side Raises

3x12 @ 15 lb. each hand

DB Standing Front Raises

3x12 @ 15 lb. each hand

DB Bent-Over Side Raises

3x12 @ 15 lb. each hand

Cable Lat Pull-Down Prone

1x12 @ 45 lb.

2x12 @ 70 lb.

This is where I stopped, thinking it was a bad idea after doing squats, overhead presses, and deadlifts in the morning. Maybe I will be able to add assistance work when I lose another 40 lb. For now, however, the StrongLifts workouts are leaving me without sufficient energy. Pull-ups can wait. Then again, maybe I should just try heavy-duty resistance bands for pull-up assistance.

I video taped every thing I did for about 8 months. ... It's what we have to do sometimes when we lift in the privacy of our own home, otherwise we don't know how to stomp out bad habits before they become a problem.

Yah, I've been lazy, or too embarrassed to let anyone see my bad form. I need to get off my butt and record some sets for form checks.

October 4, 2013

Workout B: 75 mins.

squats:

1x10 @ BW warmup

2x5 @ 45 lb. warmup

1x5 @ 70 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 100 lb.

overhead press:

1x5 @ 45 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 70 lb.

deadlift:

1x5 @ 90 lb. warmup

1x5 @ 120 lb. warmup

1x5 @ 140 lb.

I can tell that the OHP will be the first one to stall. Long before everything else, I suspect. Don't work those muscles much at a desk.