Jimbo's Battle Log

Recovery day. 50-minute walk with wife and dog. As we were walking (at night), a guy came out of nowhere, hesitated when he saw the dog, balked as if he might turn around, then passed us with what appeared to be a knife hidden in his right hand, blade pointing up the back of his forearm toward the elbow. (I glanced at his nearest hand because I'm hyper-vigilant.) I think we'll have to find a route with better lighting, or walk only in the morning.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson

battle log  | current challenge

Glad to see that it was just a short cold, I hate getting sick and act like a puss whenever I get one. As for the incident that happened that night couldve been a bad spot. lucky for you you were aware and avoided the situation. When I walk at night I usually bring my walking stick with me just in case. its about 3 1/2 feet long and a nice knarly knot on one end, its a good whooping stick and gives some range against knives if need be. looking forward to your continued progress Jim. Keep it up.

I missed 3 workouts because of my cold. This is my first workout since getting over the bug. I reduced the weights 5 lb. to ease back into the routine. I will also reduce two of the lifts in Workout B on Friday (i.e. OHP and DL) for the same reason.

October 16, 2013

Workout A: 70 mins

squats:

10 @ BW warmup

5 @ 45 lb. warmup

5 @ 70 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 100 lb.

bench press:

10 @ 45 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 70 lb.

barbell row:

5 @ 70 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 90 lb.

It felt good to work out again.

55 minute walk yesterday with wife and dog.

Today, October 23, 2013

Workout B: 65 mins.

squats:

10 @ BW warmup

5 @ 50 lb. warmup

5 @ 75 lb. warmup

5 @ 100 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 115 lb.

overhead press:

5 @ 50 lb. warmup

5 @ 70 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 75

deadlift:

5 @ 90 lb. warmup

5 @ 120 lb. warmup

5 @ 150 lb. warmup

5 @ 160 lb.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was the first to stall for you either. I think the reason being is that the press lift has a pretty low ceiling as to how much you grow before becoming a heavy lift. for instance there are quite a few who can squat/ deadlift/ and maybe even bench over 500lbs. but how many people do you see OHPing 500 lbs... not many if any. at least not as many as the other lifts as far as I know. I think with the OHP if your doing 225 as a max rep thats pretty damn beast mode and a major accomplishment.

working on your balance and core strength will of course help in adding weight to any lift. I know for me when I squat I have a bad habit of putting weight on my toes going down and then back on heels up if I'm not paying attention, which is horrible on the knees probably due to balance and core strength. what can I say just be concious of it and patient as your overall fitness improves so will the balance and core strength. at least im hoping for both of our sakes. have a good day Jim.

October 25, 2013

Workout A: 75 mins

squats:

10 @ BW warmup

5 @ 50 lb. warmup

5 @ 75 lb. warmup

5 @ 100 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 120 lb.

bench press:

5 @ 50 lb. warmup

5 @ 70 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 80 lb.

barbell row:

5 @ 70 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 100 lb.

For the first time, I really "felt" the work set of squats (@ 120 lb.) in my thighs. I did not come close to stalling. Rather, I felt what seemed like all the muscles in my thighs working together to push me out of the hole. It was an interesting sensation. I liked it.   :)

October 28, 2013

I screwed up my workout today by inadvertently getting most of the way through bench press before I realized I was supposed to do OHP today. Not a big deal. My OHP will just be 5-10 lb. behind my bench press. OHP will stall first anyways.

Workout B: 75 mins.

squats:

10 @ BW warmup

5 @ 50 lb. warmup

5 @ 80 lb. warmup

5 @ 110 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 125 lb.

overhead bench press:

10 @ 50 lb. warmup

5 @ 70 lb. warmup

4x5 @ 80

10 @ 80

deadlift:

5 @ 90 lb. warmup

5 @ 120 lb. warmup

5 @ 150 lb. warmup

5 @ 170 lb.

October 30, 2013

Workout A: 80 mins

squats:

10 @ BW warmup

5 @ 50 lb. warmup

5 @ 80 lb. warmup

5 @ 110 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 130 lb.

bench press:

10 @ 70 lb. warmup

10 @ 80 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 85 lb.

barbell row:

5 @ 70 lb. warmup

5 @ 100 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 105 lb.

I discovered that some jean shorts which I thought were 38 waist were actually 36 waist. I tried and, to my surprise, was able to button them and close the zipper all the way. Too tight to wear, but still - a 42 waist was getting tight last February when I decided to get serious about losing weight. IOW, from 42 to 36 waist since February.

15-minute walk with my wife and the dog.

Tonight, we went out to celebrate our 20th Anniversary. I deviated from paleo by ordering steak fries as an appetizer. The rest of the meal - fish and veggies - was paleo. It was a special occasion, and I had a hankering for deep-fried potato. I could have resisted, but the 20th Anniversary normally happens only once in a lifetime. Jeez, what an excuse! Still, it's not the end of the world. I'm not doing a challenge at the moment. It's not a slippery slope, as Swiss milk chocolate could be.

Missing workouts because of colds sucks. Hope you feel better and get back in the gym soon.

One thing I noticed looking at your workouts is you're warming up on DLs and barbell rows. I think you'll be fine for now, but before those DLs hit 200, I'd recommend not doing the warmup sets. Even now I'd only stick to a set of 135# if you want extra form practice. I was doing the same, and my bench and row stalled soon after. Warriors always want moar. But, over train on SL5x5 and you wind up with less. Some light accessory work should be fine though, curls or shrugs, etc.

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--