Jimbo's Battle Log

before those DLs hit 200, I'd recommend not doing the warmup sets.

I'm 53, so I'd better do some warmups. I agree, however, that since my workouts are taking 70-75 minutes at relatively low weights, I may be doing too many warmup sets. I've started to increase the weight of the first warmup sets and the size of the jump between warmups. I'll continue to do that as the weights go up.

Today is the first day that I feel half-human again, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to start lifting on the first day of the next challenge.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson

battle log  | current challenge

I'm using a standard bar, which weighs only 20 lb., so I have already started using 50-lb. standard plates. Since I'm doing StrongLifts 5x5 and none of the SL lifts spin the plates (i.e. no power clean), I don't need an oly bar with ball bearings.

Fourth and final missed workout due to cold. I can't remember the last time I had a simple cold hang on this long. Quite annoying.

Malcore, how goes it with you?

15-minute walk with my wife and the dog. It feels so strange to say "dog" in the singular. For the longest time we always had 3 dogs, but as the most recent ones died off, what with the economy, we could not replace them. Anyways, I did get a short walk in, and I'm looking forward to lifting again on Monday.

15-minute walk with my wife and the dog. It feels so strange to say "dog" in the singular. For the longest time we always had 3 dogs, but as the most recent ones died off, what with the economy, we could not replace them. Anyways, I did get a short walk in, and I'm looking forward to lifting again on Monday.

My mom used to volunteer for a pet rescue group. We adopted many that other people wouldn't. At one point she had 8 dogs living in the garage. They were all quirky mutts, but lots of fun. Now she's down to just two, and when I go home it seems a little emptier, and quieter of course. But, yeah its weird not having them all around.

When do you get back under the bar?

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

November 11, 2013

My first workout since my recent cold! Although I had missed 4 workouts, I picked up where I left off, without deloading any, and had no trouble to speak of.

Workout B: 80 mins.

squats:

10 @ BW warmup

5 @ 50 lb. warmup

5 @ 80 lb. warmup

5 @ 110 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 135 lb.

overhead press:

5 @ 50 lb. warmup

5 @ 70 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 80

deadlift:

5 @ 90 lb. warmup

5 @ 120 lb. warmup

5 @ 150 lb. warmup

5 @ 180 lb.

I ended up doing Workout B twice in a row because I recently missed an even number of workouts and would have too much trouble trying to flip all the workouts in my spreadsheet from now into the future. I don't know Excel well enough to do that without much grief.

Workout B: 85 mins.

squats:

10 @ BW warmup

5 @ 50 lb. warmup

5 @ 80 lb. warmup

5 @ 110 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 140 lb.

overhead press:

5 @ 50 lb. warmup

5 @ 70 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 85

deadlift:

5 @ 120 lb. warmup

5 @ 150 lb. warmup

5 @ 190 lb.

For the first time, my work deadlifts felt slow coming off the ground.

Yeah. I remember that's about when my DLs started getting difficult. At first the only difficult thing is getting the form. Once you have that everything from 135-185 is pretty easy. Not light, but I was never worried about missing reps. Then once you start closing in on 200 they seem to get harder almost exponentially, and by rep three, the fifth is uncertain. But, you'll quickly realize no. 5 will come if you try.

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

November 15, 2013

Workout A: 60 mins

squats:

10 @ BW warmup

5 @ 70 lb. warmup

5 @ 120 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 145 lb.

bench press:

10 @ 70 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 90 lb.

barbell row:

5 @ 90 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 110 lb.

I dropped some warmup sets to save time and energy for my work sets. I felt stronger doing my working squats, so this strategy apparently worked. I also carved 20 minutes off the total workout time.

• Like 1

Thanks. Maybe one day I'll be able to squat as much as you do. :) You and Staci are my heroes!

I'm infinitely sure you will surpass me at the rate you're going. Also I'm not worthy enough to be mentioned in the same sentence as Staci. She's my hero too. :)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Momoxstarx the N00bcake Extraordinaire

lvl 2 Mithra Warrior

[STR 3|DEX 2|STA 5|CON 2|WIS 2|CHA 1]

"Hold onto your knickers..."

Tumblr - Instagram - YouTube

Awesome job! Keep it going.

And yeah. Its the work sets that really matter for strength training. I used to try to warmup as much as possible, but as long as you've broken a sweat, and the muscles you're about to work are warm, lose, and have blood pumping to them you're good to go. Also, I think when you get into heavier weights, warmup doesn't take as long because you can warmup with heavier stuff and fewer reps. That gets the blood flowing faster.

But, of course, the caution is to always make sure you've reached a certain level of warmed up for your muscles regardless of how you do it.

--Stronkey Kong--

Monday, November 18, 2013

Workout B: 70 mins.

squats:

10 @ BW warmup

5 @ 70 lb. warmup

5 @ 120 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 150 lb.

overhead press:

5 @ 50 lb. warmup

5 @ 70 lb. warmup

5x5 @ 90

deadlift:

5 @ 120 lb. warmup

5 @ 150 lb. warmup

5 @ 200 lb.

Doing deadlifts, I allow myself 2 breathes between reps.

wow 200 DL already! you're making me sweat :)

Thanks. The bar is coming off the ground more slowly than it used to. I'm afraid that if I try to pull too fast, I may pull a muscle or something. So far, easy does it does it. However, I do need to get a video up for a form check. The weight should be high enough now to force any form problems out into the open.