trendywendy's battle log

I originally had a goal to do 200 workouts in 2013.  I hit 50 around the end of March so I was totally on track until....I got whooping cough in June and was out of commission of nearly 3 months.  I just hit workout 100 today so it seems like a great time to start my battle log.

Thursday: Chest and Triceps

Incline DB Bench 3x10 10,15,20

DB Bench 3x10 15,15,20

Skull Crushers 3x10 15,15,15

Tricep Rope Pulldowns 3x10 20, 20, 30

Inverted Row 2x10

I would really like to be able to do a pull-up by the end of the year so I add in the inverted row this morning after reading about it on this site and a path towards doing pull-ups.  I can see how this will help.  Will probably do this a couple of days a week.

Aiming to walk around 2 miles by EOD.

Tomorrow: legs.

Oy!  Has it been nearly a week since I was last in the gym?  Yes, unfortunately so.  Life got in the way but today I made it back.  Chest again since I forgot what I did last.  Did see some gains, though, so that's positive!

Wednesday: Chest and Triceps

Incline DB Bench 3x10 10,15,20

DB Bench 3x10 15,20,20

Incline DB Fly 3x10 10, 10, 15

Skull Crushers 3x10 15,20,25

Tricep Rope Pulldowns 3x10 20, 30, 30

Inverted Row 3x10

I'm not doing the current challenge, but I still want to be accountable so here I am. :)

Weekend work: 36.1 miles urban hiking/walking

Monday: Chest/triceps lifting

Tuesday; Yoga Zone Total Body Conditioning 2

Today also marks the beginning of a new round of the Whole30.  I didn't really venture that far from it after the first one, but too much sugar for my liking crept it's way back into my diet.  Time for another reset.  I felt amazing during the first one and I need all that energy to propel me for the next month or so.  Vroooom! :)

Yesterday's walk: 3.41

Today's workout: Legs + shoulders

I feel like I'm finally getting decent form on my squats.  Next week maybe I'll add weight to the bar :)

Yesterday was the first day of the Whole30:Take2.  Very good.  I think I eat a small salad with every meal, including breakfast.  I'm getting out of the mindset that certain foods are "breakfast foods".  I've also started adding some berries to my salads.  Turns out strawberries are delicious with some balsamic and freshly cracked black pepper.  Yum!!

Yesterday:  Sprints + jog - around 2 miles total - accidentally pulled the emergency stop cord when my iPhone went flying so the totals were fubared.

Walking: 6.56miles

Today's workout: Yoga Zone Total Body Conditioning 1

It's totally nuts around here this morning.  People coming through the loft, emergency water shut-off in the building, Grimm is filming in front of the entrance to my building.  Somewhere in there I need to get some work done :)

I can't believe the week is almost over.  Happy Friday eve!  Hoping to get some Gorge hiking in this weekend.

It's been over a week since I last did sprints but I'm going to aim for twice a week.  It will probably be a couple of days in between sets, e.g I'm planning to do them tomorrow.  I know that Mark Sisson advocates for 7-10 days between sprints but I feel like I need to do them a little more frequently to kick up some weight loss.  I'm trying to stay pretty close to his Primal Blueprint, though.

That was awesome, Jess.  This is why we all get along so well. :)

I'm not going to do an omnibus update, but I'll provide some highlights.  This past weekend we hiked Angels Rest.  It's only a bit over 2 miles to the top, but you gain almost 1500 feet in elevation in those short two miles.  When we started, it was raining.  About halfway up it started sleeting.  By the time we were headed down it was snowing and very windy.  A beautiful hike, though!  One of my favorites to gain fitness and see pretty things in the gorge.

Sunday morning we did an urban hike around the south waterfront (a new area of town for us to explore) at a bit over 7 miles and 800 ft elevation gain.  I'm mentioning this elevation gain stuff because I want to hike a mountain on my birthday (which just so happens to coincide with the end of the current challenge - I should start a mini-challenge to get everyone to "join" me for a birthday hike).

We saw that some friends were visiting Portland from CA this weekend so we took them around Saturday and Sunday, showing them all the pubs and eateries, which was kinda hard since I'm eating clean and haven't had any alcohol since NYE (staying this way until about the World Cup probably).  But hey, I can still share knowledge :)

Happy Monday, friends!

(which just so happens to coincide with the end of the current challenge - I should start a mini-challenge to get everyone to "join" me for a birthday hike).

On board. What day is your birthday? You must have a birthday around the same time as my Mom and sister (April 3rd and 5th, respectively).

**realizing I need to think of presents**

If there is one thing I slip on more often than not it is booze. You are way committed. Some days I just need the comfort of a stiff drink.

Even outside of the challenge you are maintaining your awesome :)

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

@Batwoman: It's the very last day of the challenge - the 6th.  I need to find a way to propose this challenge....  I'll have a think this evening.

Today was leg day.  Like, an epic leg day.  Recently there was a NF article by Staci on squats.  This article helped me lots.  I'd been struggling with perfecting my form.  The way things were described by Staci were exactly in a way I needed and could grok.  As was suggested, I started out with the BW squats (did 4 sets of those because I'm apparently a perfectionist :) ), did 2 sets of the empty bar, and one set of the bar + 22lbs (that's 67lbs total).  I have to say it's actually easier to lift with more weight on the bar.  It really forces your legs to engage and hold the proper form.  The hardest part of the last set was actually getting the bar to my shoulders (we don't have a rack so I have to lift it from the ground). 

Deadlifts also improved; 2 sets of 78lbs, 1 set of 89lbs.  I am super excited to be close to triple digits there.  I supersetted some calves with shoulders/traps to finish.  Shoulders were pretty good, too.  15lbs dbs for the presses and 10lbs for lateral raise (these things kick my butt.  I've never gone above 10 here).

I'm reading It Starts With Food now.  It's a great read and explains the science behind the Whole30.  Our bodies are a walking chemistry set.  It's fascinating.

Happy Hump Day, y'all!  99 days until the WORLD CUP starts!!!

@Batwoman: It's the very last day of the challenge - the 6th.  I need to find a way to propose this challenge....  I'll have a think this evening.

Today was leg day.  Like, an epic leg day.  Recently there was a NF article by Staci on squats.  This article helped me lots.  I'd been struggling with perfecting my form.  The way things were described by Staci were exactly in a way I needed and could grok.  As was suggested, I started out with the BW squats (did 4 sets of those because I'm apparently a perfectionist :) ), did 2 sets of the empty bar, and one set of the bar + 22lbs (that's 67lbs total).  I have to say it's actually easier to lift with more weight on the bar.  It really forces your legs to engage and hold the proper form.  The hardest part of the last set was actually getting the bar to my shoulders (we don't have a rack so I have to lift it from the ground). 

Deadlifts also improved; 2 sets of 78lbs, 1 set of 89lbs.  I am super excited to be close to triple digits there.  I supersetted some calves with shoulders/traps to finish.  Shoulders were pretty good, too.  15lbs dbs for the presses and 10lbs for lateral raise (these things kick my butt.  I've never gone above 10 here).

I'm reading It Starts With Food now.  It's a great read and explains the science behind the Whole30.  Our bodies are a walking chemistry set.  It's fascinating.

Happy Hump Day, y'all!  99 days until the WORLD CUP starts!!!

A hike you say?! I might be in!

I so need to work on my squat form. I have the opposite reaction, as the weight goes up my form sufferes.

Also, WORLD CUP!! It's the only time I watch football. In a bar of course.

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

w00t w00t!

Hot stuff coming through!

hot-stuff-o.gif

I'm totally up for a hike on your b-day! I got ideas! Not sure that Jenn would be able to join me in said hike... because tax season unpleasant time. I'll take Zelda though. She would love a good birthday hike.

I only glimpsed at that article yesterday. I definitely was more conscious of my squat form yesterday because of it. Got lower.

I'll have to look into that book. I love to know more about why this "diet" is working for me.

MLS starts soon too! Viva Football!

Ninja-New-Orleans-Sushi-Restaurant.jpg

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

I'm kind of in this mood that I don't really feel like updating my own journal and would rather spend time playing in other people's sandboxes journals.  I'm still doing weights/yoga on alternating days, racking up a lot of walking miles, and doing some great hikes to prep for the Big Birthday Mountain Climb.  I think it's probably starting to get boring and repetitive to read :)  Even though slow and steady wins the race, it isn't a page turner....

The most exciting things going on around here are the cooking and reading stuffs.  I paleofied some of my favorite Mardi Gras dishes, have started to really dial in the nutrition, and am being more thoughtful about food in general (thanks to It Starts With Food).  The Timbers play their opening match tomorrow against Philadelphia (*waves to Batwoman*) and Chipotle is having BOGO for anyone in Timbers gear.  There's a Chipotle across the street so it's paleo bowls for dinner! :)

I'm in a navel gazing mood today.  Don't mind me.

Happy Friday everyone!