• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Connordadoo

Pulling My Way Back Out of the Grave

I've been lurking here for about 3 weeks and I have to thank Steve and everyone else for all the info and the resources, just that alone has already helped with getting my head right and in the right place.  I am 38 years old and just shy of 300 lbs.  I have had a number of health scares, myself personally and a good friend die at the age of 50.  I have 2 little girls, age 2 and 7 and I am tired of being tired all the time.  I have needed to do something and I thank Steve for giving me this place and community to get to it.

My Stats

5' 8"

Neck 17 1/2 in

Chest 52 in

L Bicep 16 1/2 in

Waist 51 1/2 in

Hips 50 1/2 in

L Thigh 27 1/2 in

The Epic Quest - see my icon, at one point a long time ago I was close to looking like that.  I WILL LOOK LIKE THAT.  (Except my beard has some white in it now.)  So the route to that is being able to complete the 300 Challenge in less then 30 minutes.

This Challenge Main Quest - Mon, Wed, Fri I walk my daughter to school, then walk the perimeter of my development for a total of 2.2 miles.  I want to be able to run that by the end of the challenge.

Tue, Thurs, Sat or Sun  Complete the Beginners Bodyweight Workout at full spec.  As of now I can only do 5 squats, 3 pushups, 6 walking lunges, 10 dumbbells rows at 10lb (though that seemed easy, so I am going to 15lb), 15 second plank (which oddly enough I could do so I am upping that by a second per workout), and 10 jumping jacks.  But I am able to do them back to back and all 3 sets so I am planning by the end of the challenge to up to the full spec.

The Eating Quest - Be completely off of sodas and anything for HFCS by the end of the challenge.  To do convenience food (junk/fast/delivery food) only once a week.  Get more into the Paleo lifestyle. 

I am going to post daily whether I completed that days task and also post what I ate for the day just to keep track of my food.

Wish me luck.

Hi Connordadoo! Good for you for starting your quest! I too have a long way to go - would like to ultimately lose about 100lb. Right now it seems impossible, but I keep telling myself that to climb a mountain I just need to take one step at a time and eventually I will get to the top. Looking forward to having the support of the NF community though! I wish you the best of luck and I'll be cheering you on!

Overcame two minor obstacles today, 1) my 2nd grader was off of school today for Yom Kippor (sp?) and yet I still made it out and did the route.  2) For the first time I ran a portion of it.  Off and on, mostly off, yet it felt good to do that and see my rate go from 3 mph to 3.2 mph, that was something of an ego boost.  My only failure for the day is that I wished I had done it earlier in the day and not have to rush now.

Last week was kind of a disappointment for me.  My wife had to go to the hospital Friday night, was there until mid Saturday, so that ended up screwing over the weekend.  Only did the walk/running for the week, and the diet went from fubar on Friday night to back on it today. And yet with all that here are my stats.

Neck 17 in

Chest 51 1/2 in

L Bicep 16  in

Waist 50 1/2 in

Hips 49 1/2 in

L Thigh 28 in

I think even with falling off the diet and not doing the BBWR the walk/running and the part of the week with me living the paleo lifestyle helped me lose the 1/2-1 inch.  So I am psyched to get back to it and see what will happen if I keep to the lifestyle and the BBWR and the walk/running.

Question, while running today I got this shooting pain in my left ankle which went away when I went back to a walking pace.  Do I need to slow it down, is there something I can do to strengthen it up to keep it from happening again?

No idea what might cause pain like that, but you may want to check your form (make sure you are not heel striking) and make sure you are building up slowly. Running, especially when heavy, is very hard on a body, it takes time for the ligaments and tendons to build up and be able withstand the forces.

Great goals, personally, I really love that you are not focused on losing a certain number of pounds because I believe that scales suck. 

Sign in to follow this