• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Minty Keen

...Calcium?

Hi there!

I've been eating fairly strict paleo since January this year. I have tons more energy, I'm less sore overall, I sleep better and overall I'm enjoying life much more.

However, I'm somewhat concerned about my calcium intake. I still eat goat cheese as this particular type of dairy doesn't seem to bother me much, however I don't think I eat enough of it for it to be an adequate source of calcium.

I'm not a huge fan of leafy greens, I'm more into broccoli and asparagus and Brussels sprouts. Collard greens are hard to find for some reason, where I live.

I know fermented things are supposed to be good but I'm not sure where to start.

I'm a girl so I want to make sure I'm getting enough calcium, so as to not ruin myself with osteoporosis in the future. Especially since I also have a fairly low body fat percentage, common in people following a primal lifestyle (low body fat % in women also linked to increased risk of osteoporosis in future).

Any recommendations for yummy, easy snacks packed full of calcium?

Bone broth. Liver. Fish with bones (sardines, canned salmon).

Also, lift heavy things.

Links: http://whole9life.com/2012/02/what-about-calcium/

http://robbwolf.com/2009/03/19/paleo-vs-osteoporosis/

Other key point in one of those articles - it's not just about Calcium intake; D3 and K2 help the body utilize calcium effectively to build bone mass.

And yes, strength training(or any kind of weight-bearing/force-generating activity, really) is great for building bone mass.

Okay, that's great. I still feel as though my calcium intake is a bit low... however it's nice to know that everything else in my diet is making my absorption process optimal.

I do body-weight strength training. Think that's enough? Mostly I do small HIIT sessions, only about a half hour long including stretching time, but I feel it the next day, so take it to recover.

Some days if I really worked it hard I take two days off in a row. I just sort of listen to my body. If it's still screaming 'no' then I skip a day. No regimented 'no pain no gain' mentality.

I sprint... for the bus. More often than I'd like, actually. Think Peter Parker.

I AM interested in starting to 'lift heavy' but I don't really know where to start, nor how I'd go about it. I barely have time to pump out my small HIIT sessions, and they're all I really have space for where I currently live. I don't have a gym membership either, nor is there a gym comfortably close to where I live...

Well this is turning into less a diet and more a fitness discussion. D:

I'm going to start working more sardines into my diet... assuming I like them. I haven't worked up the nerve to try them yet.

Escargot is supposed to be a good calcium source too!