Two Towers: Serenity and Flexibility (Jodi's Second Challenge)

Welcome to my battle log!  I didn't have one for my first challenge, but I have since decided that it is a most excellent idea.   :pride:  I'm still trying to formulate the missions for my second challenge, but I just wanted to stake my claim to a thread here so my peeps could find me and give me a Follow.  LOL

Level 2 Amazon Druid

STR 4|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 1

My 1st Challenge - Ring Toss, Anyone?     My 2nd Challenge - Jodi's Two Towers     My Battle Log     My Tribe - The Dai-Gurren Brigade

At times, you become almost certain that you slabbed this hillside three days ago, crossed this stream yesterday, clambered over this fallen tree at least twice today already. But most of the time you don’t think. No point. Instead, you exist in a kind of mobile Zen mode, your brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below. Walking for hours and miles becomes as automatic, as unremarkable, as breathing. At the end of the day you don’t think, 'Hey, I did sixteen miles today,' any more than you think, 'Hey, I took eight-thousand breaths today.' It’s just what you do.â€

Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

So this morning I had a little scheduling conflict with one of my daughter's school activities that prevented me from going to the gym at my usual time (the ass-crack of dawn).  No problem, I say to myself, I'll just run around the neighborhood!  It's a beautiful morning!

Got the daughter to school early, came home and got the son on the bus, and got ready to run.  I'm on Week 5, Day 2 of the Couch to 5k program, and I was ready to kick it!  I'm used to running on the treadmill at the gym, and I was looking forward to getting out in the fresh air and stretching my legs.

Immediately after I got out of my driveway, I started to experience technical difficulties -- my playlist wouldn't start.   :grumpy:  Apparently I can either play my playlist or start my Cto5k app, but I can't do both at once.  Stupid phone...  It made me grumpy, but I changed my outlook and decided it would be nice to just run and listen to the environment, and wait for the cues on the Cto5k app.

Unexpected problem: My neighborhood environment is totally chaotic in the morning.  

Kid were at bus stops, yelling and tossing backpacks at each other..

Cars were turning everywhere, taking folks to work.

Dogs were barking at me.

Every house I passed smelled like someone's breakfast.

It was complete sensory overload.  I didn't consider what an ADD weirdo I am with all those sounds and distractions everywhere, and I just couldn't get into a groove.  I tried, I really did.  Bleh.

From this experience, I'm thinking trail running might be better for me.  Still get to be out in the fresh air, but without traffic, kids and canines.  LOL  There is a good trail system not too far from my house, and I have a couple of friends who run there so they can give me the lowdown.  Going to go check it out in the morning.   :smile-new:   Hopefully the trails can give me the feeling of focus and semi-isolation I evidently need for my running workouts.  I'd hate to have to resign myself to running only on the "dreadmill" every day...

The rest of today is still ahead, and tomorrow is a new day!

Level 2 Amazon Druid

My 1st Challenge - Ring Toss, Anyone?     My 2nd Challenge - Jodi's Two Towers     My Battle Log     My Tribe - The Dai-Gurren Brigade

At times, you become almost certain that you slabbed this hillside three days ago, crossed this stream yesterday, clambered over this fallen tree at least twice today already. But most of the time you don’t think. No point. Instead, you exist in a kind of mobile Zen mode, your brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below. Walking for hours and miles becomes as automatic, as unremarkable, as breathing. At the end of the day you don’t think, 'Hey, I did sixteen miles today,' any more than you think, 'Hey, I took eight-thousand breaths today.' It’s just what you do.â€

Kid were at bus stops, yelling and tossing backpacks at each other..

Cars were turning everywhere, taking folks to work.

Dogs were barking at me.

Every house I passed smelled like someone's breakfast.

And THAT (lol) is why I generally don't walk around my neighborhood! :playful:

Sounds like that whole Friday the 13th thing is leaving it's mark today! :nightmare:

Peeeping!!!!! :love_heart: :love_heart: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Woohoo!  Here is the link to the 5k I'm running in October!   :onthego:

Level 2 Amazon Druid

I am sitting here beside myself!  (Bonus if you can name that movie line!)

So tomorrow is Day 1 of my second challenge, and if you've been following me around this joint you might have noticed that I am mildly stoked about getting this next six weeks underway.  I have set some challenging goals for myself, and I enter tomorrow with the intent to "bring it" and completely conquer my quest.

I feel an incredible energy tonight.  It has become crystal clear that the universe has my back, because just in the last 12 hours I have learned of 3 more trails in my area, and I also stumbled upon a trail running group on Facebook as I was looking at a running acquaintance's page.  I don't believe in coincidences; I have chosen well.  

Feeling the stars align...gonna be a great challenge   :joyous:  

Level 2 Amazon Druid

Uhmmmm.......Short Circuit?........but I think that was standing here beside myself, so maybe no.....lol

I am not a big believer in coincidence either and I FIRMLY believe that the universe has your back.....well.....cause you are really awesome my friend and were meant to do this. ;)

Hope day 1 starts off with a most excellent bang Jodi!!!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

Uhmmmm.......Short Circuit?........but I think that was standing here beside myself, so maybe no.....lol

I am not a big believer in coincidence either and I FIRMLY believe that the universe has your back.....well.....cause you are really awesome my friend and were meant to do this. ;)

Hope day 1 starts off with a most excellent bang Jodi!!!

Yesss!  And now that you mention it, I think it was standing and not sitting.  I jacked it up and you still read my mind -- extra points for Ash!

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Brigade Leader!!   :triumphant:  :triumphant:

Level 2 Amazon Druid

Day One -- PR Falls into Shadow

Sooo, after my arm workout this morning, I hop on the treadmill and opened my C25k app, only to discover that I had only been on a free trial which expired.  Boo.  Undaunted (and while the treadmill is already moving at 3mph) I tried to download another app to use on the fly.  No dice.  I finally said "F this" and tossed the phone altogether.

I used the energy of the frustration to motivate my jogging, and I just ran as long as I could comfortably, just for kicks and grins.

I was still well under control and not struggling at all, and I jogged for 15 minutes straight, smashing my previous record of 8 minutes!!

Flying high on that success, I came home and did my yoga, both to accomplish my workout goal for the day and to get in some serious stretching after my "epic" run.  LOL  It felt amazing.  I am not sure that I want to piggyback these two activities every day as I did today -- I think I may save the yoga routine most days for more of an evening wind-down -- but it really helped me refocus.

Today's meditation mantra:  Light   Bliss   Connect

Have a great day, everyone!

:tranquillity:  

(love the little namaste emo) 

Level 2 Amazon Druid

I was still well under control and not struggling at all, and I jogged for 15 minutes straight, smashing my previous record of 8 minutes!!

Woo Hoo!

Aweseome start to this challenge! :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: 

(Not very zen, I know, but doubling your time on the dreadmill just like that - calls for a little happy dance, I think. ;) )

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Lol,

Swampling has begun the happy dance for other people! Look out!!!! :glee: 

And I big WHOOOOOOO JODI!!!!!!

Man that is kicking ass in the extreme, Brigade style!

Ugh! Sounds like when my laptop decides to go all wiggy with my playlist! :wacko:

Keep the Rock Rolling Jodi!! :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

While Day 2 was not a rousing success as was Day 1, it was a success nonetheless.  :)  I completed my workout at the gym this morning (legs and abs) and I'm getting ready to (or "fixin' to" as we say in Missouri) go get my yoga on.  

Had a very, VERY long night at work, and I was exhausted when I got home last night.  Woke up with some general fatigue even after a good night's sleep, and had to back off some of the weight I had added last week.  (Boo.)  I decided to be nice to myself.  :)  Still feeling some tightness in my lower back, hoping some stretching and nice long yoga poses will bring some relief!

In honor of my effort in fighting through my exhaustion and dragging my hiney out of bed for my workout this gray rainy morning, today's meditation mantra was Strength  Love  Radiate  :tranquillity:

I've decided I'm not going to try to duplicate Monday's incredible dreadmill feat in my running workout tomorrow.  I'm going to warm up for 5 min, run 10 min, walk 3 minutes, run 10 minutes, then cool down.  I'll try for a new (Jodi's) World Record on Friday.   :onthego:   

Level 2 Amazon Druid

There are Epic days and there are Be kind days. We are always our smartest when we listen. So KUDOS for being kind to Jodi. (bows)

Hope the yoga helped.

And applause :applouse: for having the grit to drag the hiney out of the bed and fighting exhaustion.

Ahem, I expect no less from one of my Brigade, because that is the ONLY kind of hiney dragging we allow around here!! (said in my most authoritative voice- the same one my 8 yr old gets when I tell him to go brush his teeth, lol)

After all.............

Who the Hell Do You Think You Are??!!

^_^

Have an awesome day Jodi!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Hey -- I want to post a video from YouTube of one of my favorite songs (of the moment, at least). How can I do that? Not the link, the video itself...I really need to brush up on my nerd skillz. LOL

Level 2 Amazon Druid

Whoo Jodi!

That is dance music!!!!

:triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Love it!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Whoo Jodi!

That is dance music!!!!

:triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Love it!

Hmmm?  You love what?  I tried but I didn't see that anything posted...  I'm so confused!

Level 2 Amazon Druid

Hmmm?  You love what?  I tried but I didn't see that anything posted...  I'm so confused!

I saw the link thread in the box so I just copied the youtube part and pasted it into my browser.

Added it to my playlist!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Well cool...but isn't there a way to put the video itself in this window? I thought Hero did some of that on our old Brigade thread. I am not nerdy enough to be a Nerd.   :hopelessness:    :hopelessness:    :hopelessness:

Level 2 Amazon Druid

Well cool...but isn't there a way to put the video itself in this window? I thought Hero did some of that on our old Brigade thread. I am not nerdy enough to be a Nerd.   :hopelessness:    :hopelessness:    :hopelessness:

Don't fret Jodi, you are plenty nerdy!!!! :playful:

Annnnd , you should ask Hero because I have never tried to insert video. :nightmare:

But, seriously, never heard of that musician. Really cool song!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Don't fret Jodi, you are plenty nerdy!!!! :playful:

Annnnd , you should ask Hero because I have never tried to insert video. :nightmare:

But, seriously, never heard of that musician. Really cool song!

All right, I'll have to get Hero on this.  LOL

I heart Matisyahu!  Another one of my favorites is One Day.  Find it, it's AWESOME!!!   :triumphant:    :triumphant:

Level 2 Amazon Druid

Grrr...  Have to try again tomorrow *yawn*  Good night!

zzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Level 2 Amazon Druid

Uhmmmm. still no, lol! Just code.

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

On the run this morning (no, not like that  :onthego:) but I just wanted to check in and report.

Formal yoga didn't happen last night, but a lot of stretching did.  Putting in the dvd as soon as I get out from under this darn laptop.  LOL

Run this morning was great again!  I did two sets of 10 minutes each with a 3-minute walk in between.  It was Week 6 Day 2 of C25k.  Friday's workout, if I follow the plan, is a 22-minute run with no walking.  Am I up for that?  YOU BET!!  How am I ever going to be a proper druid wood sprite if I can't be spritely?  :)

Meditation mantra for this morning was:   Peace   Grace  Light

And I'm off!  

Level 2 Amazon Druid

On the run this morning (no, not like that  :onthego:) but I just wanted to check in and report.

Formal yoga didn't happen last night, but a lot of stretching did.  Putting in the dvd as soon as I get out from under this darn laptop.  LOL

Run this morning was great again!  I did two sets of 10 minutes each with a 3-minute walk in between.  It was Week 6 Day 2 of C25k.  Friday's workout, if I follow the plan, is a 22-minute run with no walking.  Am I up for that?  YOU BET!!  How am I ever going to be a proper druid wood sprite if I can't be spritely?   :)

Meditation mantra for this morning was:   Peace   Grace  Light

And I'm off!  

22 minutes of running sounds... horrifying, for me. :D You have my utmost respect!

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!