Waldo's Challenge - Q&A, Ask Me Anything!

Waldo

Legs can always go wider if need be.

This form variation becomes very important as you work on one arm pushups. I'm not sure why it isn't mentioned more as an option for getting to regular pushups.

Haha yeah I just didn't have enough space to experiment. But since then I've discovered that going out to full straddle, while too easy for pushups training, makes for a very nice warmup for middle splits training. :) So double thanks!

So I've got an idea to transcend challenges a bit. There is an issue that all of us that have done a bunch have, where we really have no useful ideas for goals, don't stick to them anyway, and end up with threads that are more of a social club than anything.

Playing on the whole RPG/MMORPG theme....

Starting a clan/crew, whatever you'd want to call it. Much like in games (my only experience is with Mafia Wars on Facebook) where the organization is ad hoc and not particularly sanctioned by the gamemakers, get a clan/crew going where we put a marker in our sigs and make a thread for BSing and chit chat, separate from the guilds which IMHO are just too much to try follow along with. I tend to follow only few threads anyway. In a real MMORPG there is a level of respect that some clans get, they are known for being unbeatable/etc...

Was thinking about something along the lines of the Adonis Clan, those of us that are into building muscles and getting/staying lean.

It would be awesome to get a few going, like a few powerlifter types start the War Pigs; a Climber clan, a Dancer clan, etc...., that cross the NF guild lines (which are more of a player class than guild anyway).

To me the NF system is too geared toward beginners as is. Those of us that have been around a while can create something for ourselves on top of the regular NF architecture.

I've only completed 2 challenges, so not lost my mojo yet, but that does sound like a great idea. Even within the guilds there are different things people are aiming for and different ways of getting the results they want. It would definately help having like minded people all in one place, a kind of concentration of knowledge. Plus the idea of having clan tags is kinda cool :P

Level 2 Lycan Assassin

| Str 19 | Dex 10 | Sta 7.5 | Con 4 | Wis 7 | Cha 3.5 |

Challenge 1 Challenge 2 Challenge 3

Pain is temporary, embrace it

So I've got an idea to transcend challenges a bit. There is an issue that all of us that have done a bunch have, where we really have no useful ideas for goals, don't stick to them anyway, and end up with threads that are more of a social club than anything.

Starting a clan/crew, whatever you'd want to call it. Much like in games (my only experience is with Mafia Wars on Facebook) where the organization is ad hoc and not particularly sanctioned by the gamemakers, get a clan/crew going where we put a marker in our sigs and make a thread for BSing and chit chat, separate from the guilds which IMHO are just too much to try follow along with. I tend to follow only few threads anyway. In a real MMORPG there is a level of respect that some clans get, they are known for being unbeatable/etc...

Was thinking about something along the lines of the Adonis Clan, those of us that are into building muscles and getting/staying lean.

It would be awesome to get a few going, like a few powerlifter types start the War Pigs; a Climber clan, a Dancer clan, etc...., that cross the NF guild lines (which are more of a player class than guild anyway).

To me the NF system is too geared toward beginners as is. Those of us that have been around a while can create something for ourselves on top of the regular NF architecture.

*comes out of lurking mode*

I like the principle of like minded people getting together. I already trawl the threads at the beginning of a challenge, and if you are doing muscle ups or you are seriously training for them I will follow your thread - simply because I derive the most motivation from and can empathise more easily with people who are at that level.

Having said that - isn't your idea very close to the already existing Accountibilibuddies architecture?

How is different enough to justify you from just forming your own thread/group/clan there?

Also I realise that it is a work in progress, but a slight nit with your Adonis Clan name.... I realise what you are aiming for: People who care about strength but also want to stay lean and keep a nice Adonis belt. I can certainly empathise with those sentiments. However I feel that a large number of people will view such a clan name as 'I'm think I'm so freaking hot, I think I'm a Greek Adonis' Clan. That certainly was the first knee jerk reaction I got to the name - a club for people who are full of themselves.

*restealths*

Do you have a doorway pullup bar (I'm almost sure I remember one being part of the pic of you doing one leg front levers)? If so it will work fine for the back lever, if there is a time to be worried about it falling, it would pulling up and back around to get out of it, as an alternative you can just put your legs down and let go (that's what I do). Pulling back around is definitely a positive addition, but not totally necessary.

No, that pic is on one of those "power towers" that has dips & pull up bar, I hang my rings from that but the back rest gets in the way, my front lever I'm actually just hanging from the underside of the dip handles because they sit out farther than the pull up bar. I suppose I could do the back lever from them and just not "flip" into it. Or maybe I'll spend the $30 for a door way bar :)

rybo, level 4 Human assassinSTR 16|DEX 7.5|STA 9|CON 12|WIS 8.5|CHA 5 

too much beer during the GB game.

Too much beer from enjoying the victory, or too much from mourning the Finley injury?  I was having some bad flashbacks to Nick Collins.  :(

I agree that the current format is not very useful when you have your routine nailed down and are pretty much going to do what you're going to do.  I'm not sure what the solution is, though.  I know it's tough for all of the really advanced bodyweight people, like a lot of the ones who socialize on your thread, to come up with meaningful goals, but it's certainly no picnic for climbers like me.  Goals for me end up being things I was already going to do, things that would encourage me to risk injury, or things that I only moderately care about accomplishing in my "free time" surrounding my normal climbing routine. 

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

No, that pic is on one of those "power towers" that has dips & pull up bar, I hang my rings from that but the back rest gets in the way, my front lever I'm actually just hanging from the underside of the dip handles because they sit out farther than the pull up bar. I suppose I could do the back lever from them and just not "flip" into it. Or maybe I'll spend the $30 for a door way bar :)

Oh you can get one cheaper than that. My bar was less than $20.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

I've only completed 2 challenges, so not lost my mojo yet, but that does sound like a great idea. Even within the guilds there are different things people are aiming for and different ways of getting the results they want. It would definately help having like minded people all in one place, a kind of concentration of knowledge. Plus the idea of having clan tags is kinda cool :tongue:

Clan tags are cool.

Its more than just a concentration of like goals. It isn't as strong in the Assassins, but there are a few general social groups within NF that ted to congregate on a challenge thread or two and just use it for chit chat with only a moderate amount of discussion on the task at hand.

That clan type behavior that occurs within MMORPG's is occurring (and beyond, it is the logical byproduct of any online social group, all large sites tend to show clan type behavior), noone has taken the next step with it here though.

LIS it isn't specific to MMORPG's, bodybuilding.com (a very huge community) for example has tons of general chat threads that are for vaguely on topic discussion, they tend to refer to themselves as crews, and people tend to participate in a few; it is a way to make sense of the madness that is such a huge site.

*comes out of lurking mode*

I like the principle of like minded people getting together. I already trawl the threads at the beginning of a challenge, and if you are doing muscle ups or you are seriously training for them I will follow your thread - simply because I derive the most motivation from and can empathise more easily with people who are at that level.

Having said that - isn't your idea very close to the already existing Accountibilibuddies architecture?

How is different enough to justify you from just forming your own thread/group/clan there?

Also I realise that it is a work in progress, but a slight nit with your Adonis Clan name.... I realise what you are aiming for: People who care about strength but also want to stay lean and keep a nice Adonis belt. I can certainly empathise with those sentiments. However I feel that a large number of people will view such a clan name as 'I'm think I'm so freaking hot, I think I'm a Greek Adonis' Clan. That certainly was the first knee jerk reaction I got to the name - a club for people who are full of themselves.

*restealths*

Accountabuddies is geared so much more for beginners though, they tend to be very on topic, an especially focused group. That is pretty much the opposite of the point. A MMORPG clan however tends to have the general atmosphere of an after work bowling league for example. There is a lot of discussion (most of it) that has next to nothing to do with the task at hand. Some people may need occasional pointers, but for the most part most people in bowling leagues know how to bowl.

I only played Mafia Wars, but I assume the general clan system was implemented quite similar in most games; Greek gods tended to be used quite a bit for naming things (heck frats and sororities are names with greek letters). Don't read too much into what is implied with a name.

Too much beer from enjoying the victory, or too much from mourning the Finley injury?  I was having some bad flashbacks to Nick Collins.  :(

I agree that the current format is not very useful when you have your routine nailed down and are pretty much going to do what you're going to do.  I'm not sure what the solution is, though.  I know it's tough for all of the really advanced bodyweight people, like a lot of the ones who socialize on your thread, to come up with meaningful goals, but it's certainly no picnic for climbers like me.  Goals for me end up being things I was already going to do, things that would encourage me to risk injury, or things that I only moderately care about accomplishing in my "free time" surrounding my normal climbing routine.

By the time he was hurt, I had more than enough beer in me.

Yep, there is the same issue with goals I think for everybody that has an established routine that works. Goals for the sake of having goals aren't really good goals. Challenge threads for most people with established routines end up as more of a personal hit chat zone with only vague relationship to the challenge at hand. Why not combine a few of those chit chat zones away from the individual into small groups; to use my analogy above, create bowling teams, where there is no need or expectation to discuss the task at hand, though it could be done.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Oh & I forgot to comment on the clan idea...I like it. I don't know how mafia wars or anything like that works, but the idea of a little more "specialized" group with goals more focused than the broad guilds is pretty cool.

Sorry I missed this.

With a standard dip, it is easiest with the bars parallel to each other.

It seems that your main issue is a trap issue moreso than a pec/tricep issue. The best way to strengthen that is to hold the top of a dip for time. Just press down as hard as you can with straight arms. As it strengthens the shrug issue should go away. You can also lift the knees/legs while doing so to get in some core work while you're at it.

Bench dips will help strengthen the prime movers (pecs/triceps) in the meantime. Another exercise to consider as an assistance is the decline bench press.

No worries. Thanks! That's a great idea.  I'll try that to help with the traps and keep working bench dips in the mean time, too.  I appreciate it :)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

This seems intriguing. Going to keep lurking to see if something happens. Definitely would like a place to check in on daily with a group of people and know that I'm here to shoot the bull, but since it's all about bodyweight training/parkour/bulking/anyotherexample that if I had a quick question I could ask it and get a quick answer. I tend to leave some of my questions un-voiced as I deem them unworthy of a full thread.

Also, quick question to satisfy my curiosity. You definitely seem to know what your doing when it comes to cutting. I was just curious what your standard food strategy was, such as what types of food do you tend to avoid during a cut? After losing almost 90 lbs, I've got a feel for what I need to do to "lose weight". Just curious to see how you normally go about tackling a good "cut".

LVL 3: Human Assassin

STR: 7.75 | DEX: 5 | STA: 4 | CON: 2 | WIS: 4  | CHA: 2

Current Challenge

Past Challenges: 1, 2

Also, quick question to satisfy my curiosity. You definitely seem to know what your doing when it comes to cutting. I was just curious what your standard food strategy was, such as what types of food do you tend to avoid during a cut? After losing almost 90 lbs, I've got a feel for what I need to do to "lose weight". Just curious to see how you normally go about tackling a good "cut".

I actually don't adjust a whole lot. I mainly switch to more efficient (greater protein to calorie ratio) foods without really changing number of meals or overall volume.

I pretty much eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch on weekdays, a protein bar for breakfast and lunch I make in the morning and bring with me (sandwich, yogurt, fruit cup, pudding cup, diet soda). When cutting I switch to lean ham and 2% cheese, when bulking I eat 2x PB&J's. When I get home from work I eat a snack. When cutting it is usually either frozen greek yogurt or cottage cheese. When bulking I bust out the bucket of ice cream or a bowl(s) of cereal. Dinner is with my wife, I don't do anything special, we rotate several dishes, my entire eating scheme is built around making no changes to dinner. If I have calories to fill I eat a dessert after dinner (which when bulking means back to the bucket of ice cream).

Weekends and whatnot when not in my weekday routine I always err on the side of efficiency, a high protein to calorie ratio, which usually prevents any issues if I don't have the time to figure things out beforehand. I don't really like fatty foods (fried foods, delivery pizza) and find fast food repulsive nowadays, and rarely partake in traditional "junk" foods (I've got my ice cream, no need for cookies/chips/candy). In restaurants I tend to get as much meat as possible and stick to fruit (ideally) or veggies for a side. Contrary to most "healthy" folks though, I really don't each much in the way of veggies.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Workout Log - 10/23

Handstand Practice - 5 minutes
- Long hold of 17 sec
- Not as good as I've been as of late. Hands/forearms were real tired and sore today from yesterdays workout, definitely contributed

Bar Muscle-Up - 4+, 2-, 2+ reps
- Did better this week not smashing my chest on the bar. Transition strength is really what makes the difference for that.
- Lifetime total of 145 good bar muscle-up reps.

Tuck Flag Inverted Hold (2 sec) - 3-/3-, 3-/3-, 3-/3- reps
- Better than last week, though still needs lots of work.

Run 2.6 miles in 24:01.13
- Slower time this week. Was pretty cold outside.
- Just didn't have the motivation to run faster today.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Contrary to most "healthy" folks though, I really don't each much in the way of veggies.

I am with you on this one...people equate "healthy eating" with the consumption of bushels of plants....and it certainly doesn't have to be that way.

People make the fundamental mistake of thinking that they need to punish themselves into condition.

It's the state of mind created from thinking you have to murder yourself in the gym and deny yourself everything you like in the kitchen.....

It's a shame. Cutting is easy. It simply takes a little planning and consistency....

That is all.

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually don't adjust a whole lot. I mainly switch to more efficient (greater protein to calorie ratio) foods without really changing number of meals or overall volume.

I pretty much eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch on weekdays, a protein bar for breakfast and lunch I make in the morning and bring with me (sandwich, yogurt, fruit cup, pudding cup, diet soda). When cutting I switch to lean ham and 2% cheese, when bulking I eat 2x PB&J's. When I get home from work I eat a snack. When cutting it is usually either frozen greek yogurt or cottage cheese. When bulking I bust out the bucket of ice cream or a bowl(s) of cereal. Dinner is with my wife, I don't do anything special, we rotate several dishes, my entire eating scheme is built around making no changes to dinner. If I have calories to fill I eat a dessert after dinner (which when bulking means back to the bucket of ice cream).

Weekends and whatnot when not in my weekday routine I always err on the side of efficiency, a high protein to calorie ratio, which usually prevents any issues if I don't have the time to figure things out beforehand. I don't really like fatty foods (fried foods, delivery pizza) and find fast food repulsive nowadays, and rarely partake in traditional "junk" foods (I've got my ice cream, no need for cookies/chips/candy). In restaurants I tend to get as much meat as possible and stick to fruit (ideally) or veggies for a side. Contrary to most "healthy" folks though, I really don't each much in the way of veggies.

Thanks for the info. Seems like I was on the right track.

LVL 3: Human Assassin

STR: 7.75 | DEX: 5 | STA: 4 | CON: 2 | WIS: 4  | CHA: 2

Current Challenge

Past Challenges: 1, 2

Hey, Waldo!  I love this idea; I've read through the whole thread and there's been some great info here.

I have a question - you said in a post on the bodyweight forum that bodyweight trainers should make their own routines where possible, rather than pre-made routines, because it's a complex area and the workouts necessary to get to specific goals differ so much.  At least, I think that was what you meant - i'm sorry if I misunderstood you!

I'm trying to get mostly into bodyweight training because I think it will work best with the other non-strength exercise I plan on doing (picking up Parkour and Capoeira), so I've been trying to figure out the bodyweight thing, but I am so completely lost it's not even funny.  I have tried to make my own exercise plan; that failed miserably, and all the research I do just makes it worse.

So, for someone really just starting, are the pre-made routines a good place to start, at least?  I know you said go for full-body routines if possible, is that the only consideration I should be taking into account?
And when I do want to start customising the routine, where in the heck do I start?

Thanks again - I know this is a really basic question...

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Workout Log - 10/24

Leg Day B - Volume

Lunge Matrix x5

Kick Circuit x5

BW RDL - 10 reps

BW Squat - 10 reps

One Leg Standing L - 15/15 sec

Pistol Squat (BW) - 5e++, 5e++ reps

Pistol Squat (+30) - 6x++/6e++, 7y++/7e++, 7y++/7x++, 6y++/6e++, 6y++/6x++ reps

- Decided to do more weighted sets instead of the BW rest-pause work, I want to see how sore it makes me

- I'm kinda in a middle ground, BW pistols are a bit too easy, but the +30 work is a bit too hard for good rest-pause work.  On the cusp though.

Shrimp Squat - 8y+/0 reps

Assited Natural Hamstring Curl - 5e reps

Natural Hamstring Curl - 5x+, 5x+ reps

- My right knee was a bit sore that seemed kinda related to the same area I hurt a little 2 weeks ago.  All day it was sore, woke up that way, but I didn't notice doing anything to it yesterday.  Really affected my whole workout.

- Due to the soreness and still a little fear of making the little injury from 2 weeks ago a lot worse, I took it real careful on these.  Though I gained a lot of confidence after doing a few reps.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

- My right knee was a bit sore that seemed kinda related to the same area I hurt a little 2 weeks ago.  All day it was sore, woke up that way, but I didn't notice doing anything to it yesterday.  Really affected my whole workout.

- Due to the soreness and still a little fear of making the little injury from 2 weeks ago a lot worse, I took it real careful on these.  Though I gained a lot of confidence after doing a few reps.

This is a wild guess....and I know my situation is different with my knee surgeries and all....but for me:

GHRs + thight IT band = knee pain.

(Namely, a tender spot on the outside of the knee)

With hamstrings, glutes etc...under a crazy load and the IT band being "glued" to the underlying muscle fibers makes it pull pretty doggone hard on the....lateral epicondyle.

(I think that is right....basically where your outer quad ties through the knee joint to the lower leg....I am drawing an anatomy blank....lol)

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hurt on the other side of the knee though. And tightness wasn't an issue, I tried stretching a few times to see if I could ID an unusual tight spot, nada.

Specifically where the ham and calf tendons cross right under the MCL, a little closer to the calf. And I think its isolated to the calf tendon more, hence why even though I was concerned, I felt fine during the NHC's; NHC's put no load on the calf when there is no foot plate. Though yesterday the whole inside of my knee, the MCL side, was vaguely sore with no point of pain or tightness.

Feels fine today though.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Hey, Waldo!  I love this idea; I've read through the whole thread and there's been some great info here.

I have a question - you said in a post on the bodyweight forum that bodyweight trainers should make their own routines where possible, rather than pre-made routines, because it's a complex area and the workouts necessary to get to specific goals differ so much.  At least, I think that was what you meant - i'm sorry if I misunderstood you!

I'm trying to get mostly into bodyweight training because I think it will work best with the other non-strength exercise I plan on doing (picking up Parkour and Capoeira), so I've been trying to figure out the bodyweight thing, but I am so completely lost it's not even funny.  I have tried to make my own exercise plan; that failed miserably, and all the research I do just makes it worse.

So, for someone really just starting, are the pre-made routines a good place to start, at least?  I know you said go for full-body routines if possible, is that the only consideration I should be taking into account?

And when I do want to start customising the routine, where in the heck do I start?

Thanks again - I know this is a really basic question...

When you say you failed miserably, what do you mean by that? And how does research make it worse.

For customizing, it is simply a matter of continuous improvement. I think people big time get caught up concerned with long range plans instead of taking small steps from where they are now. How did today's workout go? How can I improve it next time? Maybe rearrage the exercises. Do a new exercise and drop one that doesn't seem very effective for you. Perhaps try a different set timing. Add a few more sets or take away a few. Spend more or less time warming up. Decide to see how going to failure every set works, or vice versa never going to failure or only on your final rep. Experiment, experiment, experiment, keep the good, discard the stuff that doesn't work or that you don't like.

I didn't learn what I know simply from reading it somewhere, I tried things for myself. I'm always experimenting, looking for ways to improve things. Some ideas for things to try I get from reading or watching things, some stuff I just discover on my own.

Any of NF's beginner workouts are a good starting point. The NF batman bodyweight workout has a lot of good stuff to work toward.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Workout Log - 10/25
Upper Body Static

Standard Warmup/Prehap/Mobility

One Arm Wall Handstand (15 sec) - 4/4, 4/4 reps
- These are still a hair harder on the obliques than the traps

Slow strength circuits (circuit number in parenthesis):

(1) Planche Lean - 15 sec
(2,3,4,5) Tuck Planche (Floor) - 15, 15, 15, 15 sec
- Definite improvement on the floor over last week

(1) Tuck Front Lever - 15 sec
(2) Advanced Tuck Front Lever - 15 sec
(3, 4, 5) One Leg Front Lever - 2/2, 4/3, 4/3 sec
- Yes!  Progress.  Felt like I had a lot more left after the first one leg set (though I couldn't do another rep-hold), so decided to go for more time.

- I'm not too concerned with the time discrepancy at the moment, it will even out as I get more comfortable with it. 

- I'm still lowering into a hold with one leg, pulling back up (bent arm), switching legs then lowing into a hold on that side, I'm not switching mid-hold yet.

(1) Advanced Tuck Back Lever - 15 sec
(2) Half Layout Back Lever - 15 sec
(3,4,5) Back Lever - 8, 8, 10 sec

- Oddly enough the place I feel the sore spot in my knee the most is during a full layout back lever

(1) Floor L-Sit - 15 sec
(2,3,4,5) Middle Split Hold - 6, 10, 10, 10 sec
- Not a particularly good night of these until the final hold. 

DB Concentration Curl (35 lb) - 10y++/10x++ reps

- Did a set of curlz at the end.  I'm starting to get rather annoyed at the lack of growth in my upper arms this bulk.  Subpar rep #'s though tell my that this workout hits the biceps well even without the curls, I've got more gas in my biceps after a rest-pause pullup pyramid than this workout, and rest-pause pyramids are downright brutal.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

When you say you failed miserably, what do you mean by that? And how does research make it worse.

Basically, I ended up with a workout that was muddled and convoluted and didn't actually do a lot of the things I wanted it to do.  Research makes it worse for me because I'm the type to freeze up if I've got too much information and no idea how it fits together or what to do with it.

But thanks for answering!  I'm gonna start back with a pre-made workout, go for a few weeks (so I at least get used to consistency), and then use those questions you listed to make me better at tweaking it.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Congrats on the front lever progress!

I've started doing back levers...they are still a little bit of a train wreck as I am figuring out where my body is in space in that position.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines