Gobnait's grind to wean the house.

Gobnait

I got the bean soup off of the stove and into the freezer, but not before eating over half of it.  I pulled some meat out of the freezer.  I brewed a pot of tea.  I cleaned up an impressive amount of fresh cat vomit.  I can't remember what the dishwasher looked like this morning, but it is empty now and I've got dirty dishes strewn over the house.

I wasted the day lounging around and I don't feel remorseful about it.

Bean soup in the freezer.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I'm impressed about your house work, but sorry about your cat, more work to do! I understand what you mean with less storage, maybe the next time you can read some minimalist literature and follow some of their advices. Your amount of staff would be drastically reduced.

Human: Ranger

5 STR | 3 DEX | 5 STA | 4 CON | 2 WIS | 3 CHA

Current challenge: keep it simple

battle log | epic quest

Last challenges: ΜΟΛΩΠΛΑΒΕ | prepare to a half-marathon

MEMENTO MORI

I'm impressed about your house work, but sorry about your cat, more work to do! I understand what you mean with less storage, maybe the next time you can read some minimalist literature and follow some of their advices. Your amount of staff would be drastically reduced.

I've read minimalist stuff before, but having too little stuff also drives me nuts.  I also have things that I don't want to re-buy once I don't have to move things around to get to other things.

At this point, renting a storage locker is too much trouble.  I feel like I've just about got this licked.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

As long as you keep on cleaning a little bit every day you will get there.

And I feel sorry for the cat.

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

As long as you keep on cleaning a little bit every day you will get there.

And I feel sorry for the cat.

I would feel sorry for the cat if she would stop bolting her food.  I think she pukes in as many different spots as possible on purpose.

Today I rifled through the freezer to no good end, cooked some acorn squash that I bought with good intention, made a pretty horrendus screw-up of unstuffed pepper casserole, threw a moldy sweet potato into the garden... I rifled through the other freezer and determined that thawing out all the <mysteries that are occupying my containers> at once is not a good idea.  I also spent a lot of energy thinking about the state of my fridge and freezers.

This was a poor excuse for actually getting things done.  But...

Considering what I found but couldn't identify, I could feel satisfied spending the next four weeks or more with purging my freezer rather than filling it.  (There is very little there that is just nuke and eat, though I'm not sure what needs to be done with this one box.  I don't want to be wasteful.)  I think trying to establish a pattern of avoiding the kitchen without letting the kitchen be neglected might work okay.  Even if I have to resort to those delivery fliers I keep in my phonebook, I'll figure out some way to get the rest of what I want done.

Food is unappealing, anyway.  Bottom-dollar nuke-and-eats or properly prepared cube steaks with fresh peppers and tomato, I eat just because my hunger signs go from "I think I'm just bored" to inconsolable meltdown.

My to-do list...

Organize:

buy lumber for the bottom half of my two stuff organizing projects.

Food:

start labeling anything I recognize in the freezer

pull out and try to eat anything unrecognisable from the freezer

refridgerator should only contain things I want to eat soon and nothing that will rot

freezer needs to be inventoried again in hopes to keep tabs on it, even if it means printing out QR codes.

Oh, BTW, I asked for my mother's unstuffed pepper casserole recipe after I mangled mine.  I have a few things I usually do, like I use brown nishiki rice since it retains texture even when cooked to death, and chedder instead of velveeta.  (Homemade velveeta recipes are some sort of normal cheese, geletin, and something.)

ground beef onions worstershire sauce rice (cant' remember if cooked or uncooked Raw i think) tomatoes (about one jar or can) green peppers. brown beef and onion. add rice and tomatoes. pour over quartered peppers in flat baking dish. bake 350 until done maybe 45 minutes. top with slices of velveta. did i forget anything

stuffed cabbage stuffed peppers one called for raw rice, one for cooked.

IIRC, the way hers differs from commercial recipes is that the peppers are chunked and line the bottom of a baking dish, and they use tomato sauce instead of canned tomato.

I'm going to freeze most of what I made.... even with the mangled recipe I left off the cheese until it was dished up to freeze and use as microwave meals.

Mmm. Sounds like the unstuffed pepper dish tastes good and is pretty striaghtforward to make, too. Bonus that it freezes well.

As for cats leaving barf around the house, if it's due to hairballs, I've had really good luck feeding a hairball-control dry food year-round and then adding in some of the hairball control cat treats when they are shedding winter coats. It's reduced the nasty little mushpiles down to practically zero. Nice to next-to-never hit one of those with barefeet in the middle of the night anymore!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Good one, though I'm pretty much aware about what's trying to go off in my fridge, as my cooking isn't bad enough to even approach what Jon must keep in there.

Yesterday, I don't know what happened, but I didn't feel like doing anything.  My knee felt a little messed up from running up and down the stairs and then kneeling at my husband's desk.  (His chair is the same model as the one that threw me across the room because it wasn't designed to hold that much weight.)

I dumped the kitchen recycling bucket into the bin and refilled it.  I found my lunch containers and pulled everything out of that stupid cabinet.  That part was a little counterproductive to what I wanted to accomplish this week.

I didn't do enough yesterday.

You may not have done ''enough'' but you're making progress little by little every day.

Another suggestion for cat hairballs is getting him a good brush. If you pull all the dead hair out before he can lick it, it should cut down on his hairballs. 

Personally I love the minimalist route. Early this year I went through our house and ended up getting rid of approximately 50% of the stuff we own. It makes cleaning so much easier. The house is overdue for another cleansing, though.

Level 2 

Dwarf Ranger

STR 2     |     DEX 1     |     STA 4     |     CON 3     |     WIS 3     |     CHA 0

Current Challenge: Give Peas a Chance!

1st Challenge: Buggalo Begins!

''Life is hard. You are hard. I don't see the problem." - Coach

THE GURREN BRIGADE!

"Think about all the things you'd wish other people had done for, or with, you. Then do those things for other people.

Then, smash barriers and laugh a lot while shouting "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?!" - Hero                                                                                                                      

I forgot that I cubed up an eggplant yesterday and put it in the freezer.  I was going to use it for a roast dish, but my appetite isn't in the mood for it.  I love it for this weird soup that I make in winter, but eggplant  gets above my budget by then. 

Roast eggplant dish is eggplant, onion, tomato, maybe mushroom, maybe a slice of roast beef that wasn't cooked in the same dish, (or a bit of sausage,) pasta or perhaps potato.

My weird soup is chicken, eggplant, onion, maybe green pepper, sausage.... um, whatever else sounds appealing at the time.

I cleaned some scraped fat today and the smell made me a little ill.  (Basically boiling it in clean water in order to get the flavor off.)  It's at least chicken and beef, not sure what the other bowl was.  Should be okay for cornbread.

Got the pepper casserole into the freezer with shredded cheese.  Caught a mold invasion on the cheese before I lost much.  Shredded the rest for pizza because suddenly pizza is a temptation.  Pulled a small amount of bread dough from the freezer and hopefully I can make something pizza-like in the next two days.  Especially since I've got some tomato paste left in the can I just opened to fix the casserole.

Made a double batch of rice and put some of it into sandwich boxes to receive the abbreviated curry I want to make.  (Cook up frozen convenience thighs and make a sauce, leave the veggies frozen.)  Did I mention that I had two bags of frozen convenience thighs going?  Can't remember when I bought one of them, and I'm pretty sure that's the one I'm using now.  Made a somewhat stir-fry and there are leftovers for breakfast.

Cycled the dishwasher from empty to clean to receiving dirty.  Threw the mandolin and food mill into a cardboard box that they aren't happy with.

Even if I get the one counter scrubbed, the cutting boards and knives cleaned, I'd still find the day somewhat disappointing in light of the week being somewhat lite.  Fridge isn't clean, though I wasn't counting on the cheese getting stuff under its wrapper.  I've done nothing but poking at messes when I should be buying lumber by now.

I even ordered the sander we picked because the price decreased... rather than going to the store and seeing local prices.

I am not happy with how much I've done today.

How big is your freezer?  Sure seems like you've got a lot of stuff in there!

Current challenge: Draco Used to Be an Adventurer Like You....

Previous challenge: Draco Returns for a New Adventure

Level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer

6.25 STR | 4 DEX | 6 STA | 4.5 CON | 5.5 WIS | 4.5 CHA

“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.â€

― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

How big is your freezer?  Sure seems like you've got a lot of stuff in there!

In addition to the vertical fridge/freezer unit, I have a chest freezer that might fit a smallish human if it didn't still contain a good portion of dead cow, an assortment of vegetables, and some plastic containers full of random food.  Some guys came to my door with a seemingly good deal on meat plus a free freezer or grill.  (The meat was disgusting, and they promised me a key because the freezer was a patio unit; they did tell me that it would be a used freezer.)

"I think she pukes in as many different spots as possible on purpose."

*sigh* Whisk

I love having a giant chest freezer.  Makes it so much easier to stock up when certain meats are on sale.  I have like 12 pounds of ham in there.

Yesterday I did so much nothing that it isn't even funny, but I don't care because I didn't feel well.

Today I made pizza, and I think that is one thing that I'm not going to get right because proper pizza dough has unpronounceables in it, or at least something that I don't do.  I also cut up some brocoli for soup and it should hold for another few days.  I've almost got the fridge under control, but I bought a bit of new food.  I walked home carrying 5 pounds potato, 3 pounds onion, gallon of milk, half-gallon of orange juice, and a half-pound of cheese.

I woke up with such high hopes for today, but then I tried to start moving around.

This was the sort of week that makes me want my house to take care of me.

I'm going to put tomorrow on my plan of the day. And I'm going to put up some expectation for the week.

I cooked up that one package of frozen thighs, cooked up a carrot and onion mixture, made another batch of rice... fresh batch of rice goes to the curry I want to freeze, half of the chicken goes to one curry, half of the vegetables go to another curry, the other half of the vegetables go to the next soup nonforozen, the old rice goes to the half of curry ingredients that I don't intent to freeze, plus random purpose if needed.

Basically I need to fry up the green peppers, re-warm some vegetables, make the blender dirty, use some stuff from the fridge, find space in the freezer, hope my supply of foodboxes holds up....   Someone please yell at me if I spend more time on my chili thing before December.... Ground beef takes up less room when it is raw and beans are shelf stable.  The green pepper thing was important but everything else can wait.

The sounds like more cooking than I like, but tomorrow's plan is to get the fridge to what it wants to be, get the chest freezer to what it wants to be, and make the vertical freezer's whole purpose be what it dreads to be.  (Vertical freezer is going to be the dumping ground for stuff I should concentrate on eating because I don't know what it is.)

But then my plan for the week following this is to ignore the kitchen and work on the house.  Ignore the kitchen, save for filling the dishwasher, but no stove use beyond eggs....... screw it, I should know to resort to the pamphlets,or actually go out for fast food, I could walk to this one diner that could give me dinner and a whole day's worth of greek leftovers for less than $20.  (That store that I walk to for less than a mile round trip has everything that I would want from a KFC.)

I got the cheap curry into the freezer as convenience meals, made the fresh curry to use up some vegetables, didn't dirty the blender.

Also, other than looking for some frozen vegetables and putting curry in, I didn't do anything with the freezer. Nor did I clean the kitchen.

Considering that I slept about eleven hours last night without having that much of a sleep debt and have a lack of hunger, I'm calling myself sick and have license to do nothing.

Mmmm, curry. Now I know what I'm gonna batch cook next weekend.

Hope you feel better soon!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Yesterday, I blendered the soup, ate the rest of the cheese, and poked at the mess in the living room while completely ignoring the kitchen.  I went to bed astoundingly early to read a book.  Twice during the night I woke up and didn't feel like actually getting up, so I read with a red flashlight until I nodded off again.  I woke up again well after sunrise.

Today, I flipflopped between leaving the house and continuing to work on the house.  I managed to finally decide on going to the home improvement store and wandered around a bit trying to budget for my projects.  I spent $50 on a few boards, miscelanious stuff, and a magazine about building storage.  I'll be going back for a sheet of MDF when I figure out how to make an 8 foot piece work in my 8 and a half foot space, and exactly what dimension I want for the other part so they can cut it.  I forgot completely about the ledge I want to build for my pot lids.

What I couldn't bargain myself into doing was stopping for food that someone else cooked.  I'm still having trouble eating, but deep-fried or carefully engineered to be addictive wasn't catching my interest.  I could probably talk myself into hitting Sam's for a package each of bbq chicken drummetts and potstickers since it's cheaper that way, and they had a really good deal on enameled cast iron.

Oh wait, I'm supposed to be emptying the freezer.  I dug around and found what looks to be fruit and pork with rice, I made a note to have that later.  I found it after I had made some by-the-directions boxed mac and cheese.  (At least cheesy powder is a somewhat benign processed food.)

Last two days were kind of blah.  You have until next Tuesday to be ready to make some progress, I don't care if you kick kan between now an then, or just manage to keep poking at the problem.

Who knew that moving a few chairs and running a broom would make my living room look less like a junk pit?

I did move a shelf in front of the window... much cheaper than putting shelves there even if it isn't as zombie proof... too bad the only plant I have is an aloe that won't fit.

Moving the chairs was easy as shifting boxes and sweeping once the shelf was moved.  After I moved that blanket that was thrown in the living room for washing purposes, I'm surprised that there were as much underpants as junkmail.  I mean, the junkmail makes sense, but neither of us fully strip in here.  If anything, it should be socks, but there was only one or two pair, not counting the rolled thus obviously clean pair.  (Not giving a full tally of socks, one or two pair could mean anything from 3-7 individual black socks... yes, all black, from at least four identifiable varieties.)

The shelves are all plastic pipe-and-unit things that seem to fit frosting buckets perfectly.  I was only getting frosting buckets recently, which means these things were irritating me by being too long for the stuff I needed them for beforehand.  (Wooden units would have been better for banker's boxes.)

Since I'm grabbing frosting buckets for random panic-hoarding reasons rather than more than one or two them being of worthy use..... *shrug*

Perhaps it means I'll just re-collapse some banker's boxes during the reorganization.  Before I learned about having a food-grade container that fit those shelves, and discovering the other would be good in front of that window, all three were going to go into the garage for random purpose.

Yesterday I did so much nothing that it isn't even funny, but I don't care because I didn't feel well.

Today I made pizza, and I think that is one thing that I'm not going to get right because proper pizza dough has unpronounceables in it, or at least something that I don't do.  I also cut up some brocoli for soup and it should hold for another few days.  I've almost got the fridge under control, but I bought a bit of new food.  I walked home carrying 5 pounds potato, 3 pounds onion, gallon of milk, half-gallon of orange juice, and a half-pound of cheese.

I woke up with such high hopes for today, but then I tried to start moving around.

This was the sort of week that makes me want my house to take care of me.

Unpronouncables in pizza dough?

My bread maker has this list of ingredients in its book:

- 2/3 cup water

- 1 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil

- 1 3/4 cups Gold Medal Better for Bread flour

- 1/2 tsp sugar

- 1/2 tsp salt

- 1 1/4 tsp active dry yeast

Maybe you just need a better recipe?  Or is there something in that list that you don't do?

Current challenge: Draco Used to Be an Adventurer Like You....

Previous challenge: Draco Returns for a New Adventure

Level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer

6.25 STR | 4 DEX | 6 STA | 4.5 CON | 5.5 WIS | 4.5 CHA

“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.â€

― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Unpronouncables in pizza dough?

My bread maker has this list of ingredients in its book:

- 2/3 cup water

- 1 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil

- 1 3/4 cups Gold Medal Better for Bread flour

- 1/2 tsp sugar

- 1/2 tsp salt

- 1 1/4 tsp active dry yeast

Maybe you just need a better recipe? Or is there something in that list that you don't do?

Our flour is low gluten, the dough was in the freezer so the yeast might have been sluggish, I use chicken fat usually but forgot it this time. There was probably less salt than possible. Other than the flour, I could try a proper recipe. But considering how sick normal pizza makes me, I suspect they use dough extenders.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines