Gobnait's grind to wean the house.

Gobnait

There are some things I must admit, OPSEC be dammed....

I'm a Navy wife, I've been lying about husbandly things.  It's an extension of how I won't display the "deployed husband" flag in my window because it feels like painting a bulls-eye on my door.

I'm relying on how you don't know who I am or where I am.

The project I've been working on since the beginning of the challenge, he's been absent for the big parts.

I've communicated to him that I'm moving on from the big project.  He stresses that the shower project is important simply because I can go a week without a shower because I don't work.  (Opposite to how much of and inconvenience it would be to show up to work in that many layers and then have to shower and then get into that many layers again.  Nevermind how much paperwork it would be for him to show up smelling like something not smelling of soap.)

I've got until xmas to get the shower stripped down to the studs, re-insulated because it has an outside wall, re-walled and tiled....... that is the only bathroom in the house, I have to get this done without having the urge to wash my shoulder-length hair that isn't trained to poo-less....

Not that that is his return date..... that's a "if we do get home then you're going to look bad" it happens often enough date.

He's going to return December 28 because that's the most asshole date there is.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

BTW, I spent yesterday watching a few episodes from the beginning of "what not to wear" and the first one or two inspired me to have appropriate body issues, and then the angst overwhelmed sense.

Today I almost got out the door without eating breakfast, didn't enjoy the last two eggs, paid off the dentist and made a bouncing appointment to look at my tooth and get reacquainted, returned a defective board to the home warehouse, tried to mall-shop the home warehouse..... then gave up and drank more rum than the day warrented.

The brite spot was that the neighbor didn't get to my lawn before I did.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

So you're doing all this work on your home without support for months at a time? Don't feel bad for getting behind - that happens to everyone! Considering your situation, you're doing a fine job! You're just overwhelmed - and we all get there.

I mean, I've got my wife at home, and you've read about my paper piles. I have plastic storage buckets full of more papers in the basement to look forward to. Why? It's overwhelming. I get behind and I feel like I can't ever catch up... So I'll just put it where it's not in the way.

But I'm making progress, slowly but surely. By not trying to fix everything at once - by setting a little time each day to do it, and not stressing (too much) that I'm not slaying the dragon in one fell swoop.

Have you considered trying something similar? Do dishes, but limit yourself to no more than 15 minutes in the morning and the same before bed. Plus a minute or two after a meal, if there's room in the sink or dishwasher.

Do laundry, but one load a day at the most. And pit it away as soon as its done.

15 minutes on a project.

Etc.

Trying not to conquer the world all at once, but hitting the major things a little each day so they don't pile up (as much).

Either way, you're doing great. And we're here to help any way we can. :)

Btw, after you mentioned HabitRPG, I got my character set up. Having the daily reminder to do the little things like I mentioned - it's nice. And for some reason I put in extra effort so my character doesn't "die". Which I didn't think would motivate me. But it was a welcome surprise. :). Not sure how you look up other people on that, but I'm "Draco of the Rebellion" (Draco was taken).

Current challenge: Draco Used to Be an Adventurer Like You....

Previous challenge: Draco Returns for a New Adventure

Level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer

6.25 STR | 4 DEX | 6 STA | 4.5 CON | 5.5 WIS | 4.5 CHA

“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.â€

― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

So you're doing all this work on your home without support for months at a time? Don't feel bad for getting behind - that happens to everyone! Considering your situation, you're doing a fine job! You're just overwhelmed - and we all get there.

I mean, I've got my wife at home, and you've read about my paper piles. I have plastic storage buckets full of more papers in the basement to look forward to. Why? It's overwhelming. I get behind and I feel like I can't ever catch up... So I'll just put it where it's not in the way.

But I'm making progress, slowly but surely. By not trying to fix everything at once - by setting a little time each day to do it, and not stressing (too much) that I'm not slaying the dragon in one fell swoop.

Have you considered trying something similar? Do dishes, but limit yourself to no more than 15 minutes in the morning and the same before bed. Plus a minute or two after a meal, if there's room in the sink or dishwasher.

Do laundry, but one load a day at the most. And pit it away as soon as its done.

15 minutes on a project.

Etc.

Trying not to conquer the world all at once, but hitting the major things a little each day so they don't pile up (as much).

Either way, you're doing great. And we're here to help any way we can. :)

Btw, after you mentioned HabitRPG, I got my character set up. Having the daily reminder to do the little things like I mentioned - it's nice. And for some reason I put in extra effort so my character doesn't "die". Which I didn't think would motivate me. But it was a welcome surprise. :). Not sure how you look up other people on that, but I'm "Draco of the Rebellion" (Draco was taken).

Draco, I had I yearlong friendship with someone else from my husband's boot-camp group.... she was a wife on crutches, I was an emotional fuckup of a fiancee that lived within driving distance.  We had some great times (a bunch of stories,) before our husbands found the penultimate in their relationship by moving to opposite coasts.

Anyway... I think that you having a wife with problems is something.  I mean, I was depressed because my husband couldn't send any communication for a week, but my sisters that have a life were still functioning.  (I'm wearing my jade-colored glasses at anyone who's being super-positive. I could go all cheer-leader about nothing if I wanted to.)

I never witnessed her strength, just having to listen to her answer hypothetical conversions about how she shouldn't be helped if she fell down.  Or rather, an inexperienced person would be worse than her getting up by herself.

Back to me being a military wife.... he's out of my fucking way, never-mind that I need him now that I don't have to take care of him.

He's Navy, that means he is coming back.  Damn what I wanted to do....all that I need to do is get the bathroom re-tiled, even if it means having to do the interior side of the exterior of the house including a window first.

I meant to include something about you having family and me not having squirmy larvae, in addition to responding to what you said.

I feel the need to write something like "drinking rum is not a substitute for eating" one hundred times.

I had two eggs yesterday, and I only ate those because I realized I was about to leave the house without breakfast.  Oh, and I did chew at that turkey ribcage a little bit before giving it to the cats, that had an ounce or two of meat that I could get.

Woke up thinking about which place would have better fried fish.

I am hungover in a non-painful manner.  My thoughts feel too small for my head and they're jangling around.  I'm also being startled by some senses not agreeing and brief flashes of believing some absurd things.

The only thing I did today was take the apples I cooked yesterday, grind and strain them and sterilize the juice.  Tomorrow I mess with the cider and pitch the fresh juice onto the trub after transferring the fermented stuff.  I also drank a mug of hot cocoa that was nothing special but also amazing.

I'm not going to be making the cabinet alone, so that's off.

Since what I planned isn't working, I'm declaring this challenge a failure.  It's more of a case of stepping on something during a race and deciding to go home to heal rather than stubbornly trying to limp to the finish line.  That means I can spend the next two weeks in damage control and preparation for November 4 - December 15, which will be more of the same but with a different result in mind.

Here's the copy/paste planning for next challenge and beyond from another thread.  I have decided that I want a rainbow ticker signature for some of the more solid points.

I have no idea what I want to do for the next challenge.  Well, some idea, about it, but it's all vague.

I want to declutter, sort, box-up, basically mess around with the junk so I have room to do things.  I've decided that I can't make the cabinet alone, so it'll have to wait.  Its space can be a junk holding area.

The shower needs repaired before he gets home, but all I really want accomplished is to have the materials in the house and ready to go, even if I loose my nerve.  It would also be nice to have the kitchen counters redone.  I've got more than one challenge to get to these things, but I don't want my unwillingness to leave the house be stopping me if I do work up the nerve to do the actual work.

Something having to do with my problems involving lack of hunger, everything tastes vile, not eating enough, not feeling that cooking is worth it even when it involves sticking something in the microwave.  Also rum rationing, not drinking too early, and no drinking on an empty stomach.

I want to set things up so that my sixth challenge (I'm currently on my fourth) can be about creative endeavors, wearing nice clothing, having adventures, spending the day on the treadmill, maybe have a workout routine... I want the house to be so that it doesn't get in my way.  Meaning clean and organized enough so that I can get through my chores quickly, not be distracted by a mess, and not having to spend a lot of time looking for something.

Today I did get the cider into a jug.  The stopper I had didn't fit, so I used a balloon to seal the bottle.  (Not sure if I should pierce it or not, but the fermentation is going and I should have my answer soon.)

I went to bed yesterday without cleaning up the mess completely, notably the hand-wash-only food mill.  I had scrubbed the screen and rinsed some parts.  Today I did get the food mill cleaned, except that I had put the spring back on its mating part while wet and I need to polish the mating part to deal with the rust... or just mill that pumpkin tomorrow and hope the rust goes with it.

I cycled the dishwasher twice, scrubbed the juice-catching bucket, still need to hand-wash a pot since it doesn't fit in the dishwasher.  And remove the cheesecloth from the applesauce and deal with that.

My beloved Mrs. T's pierogies seem to set off my food allergies and I can't figure out why.  I've drank Tang without ill effects and I'm pretty sure that contains more Maltodextrin per serving.  Enriched flour, dehydrated potato, dehydrated cheese... (I seem to be able to handle potato flakes, and cheese ingredients that are dehydrated before going through a cheese stage, and actual cheese.  Cheese products might be something else.)  What other products contain disodium phosphate?  Maybe it's something that happens to the ingredients rather than the ingredients themselves.

Despite what I did, I could have done more.  I did spend some time having conversations with an imaginary zebra, but unless it leads to writing something down, that counts as unproductive fun.

Wait, what... you have to repair/install the shower by yourself?  That's a huge project!!!

I think as long as we are learning from participanting in the challenge, that's what really mattered.

What other products contain disodium phosphate? 

Some chocolate products have this... I have seen it listed on hot chocolate packets.  Some dried ranch sauce packets have it, too.  It is also used in canned meat (like spam).  Basically a chemical used in processed food.

Hope you are doing well!   Thinking and preparing for next challenge is always encouraging!  Rawr!

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |

Hey, Gobnait, have you had a good checkup recently to rule out anything that might be causing your lack of appetite and other symptoms? I'm concerned about a number of things that you are posting. I know I would feel better if I ruled out anything organic going on, especially stuff like depression, thyroid problems, etc., and to see if the amount of alcohol I was drinking was within the acceptable range.

Talking zebra? Good one. You're already gearing up for your sixth challenge! (I like talking lions, myself.) :playful:

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Wait, what... you have to repair/install the shower by yourself?  That's a huge project!!!

I think as long as we are learning from participanting in the challenge, that's what really mattered.

Some chocolate products have this... I have seen it listed on hot chocolate packets.  Some dried ranch sauce packets have it, too.  It is also used in canned meat (like spam).  Basically a chemical used in processed food.

Hope you are doing well!   Thinking and preparing for next challenge is always encouraging!  Rawr!

Hey, Gobnait, have you had a good checkup recently to rule out anything that might be causing your lack of appetite and other symptoms? I'm concerned about a number of things that you are posting. I know I would feel better if I ruled out anything organic going on, especially stuff like depression, thyroid problems, etc., and to see if the amount of alcohol I was drinking was within the acceptable range.

Talking zebra? Good one. You're already gearing up for your sixth challenge! (I like talking lions, myself.) :playful:

Imaginary Zebra. 

about-zecora-you-might-not-know-she-is-p

Except that I hate rhymers, so I don't know if my story would be rejected if Zecora only rhymed when repeating passed-down mnemonics.

Yesterday I did absolutely nothing.  Well, I did come up with a neat project in Minecraft, but I don't know if I want to do it honest or cheaterly.

Today I visited the dentist to get my tooth fixed.  Turns out that it didn't hurt because I'd already had a root canal, it just lacked a post and was still a collection of fillings in a natural tooth, and I'm probably lucky it lasted this long.  I was still a whiny patient after I had him give me a valium, but at least he didn't have to numb me.  (The root canals on the other side of my mouth were done without numbing because the nerves had died naturally.)

I don't have problems with hot chocolate, so it is a mystery as to what is actually affecting me.  Today I stopped at the grocery store for milk, eggs, bread, and lunch from the deli.  I ended up grabbing a bunch of frozen burritos from the freezer section since the 6-2 crowd was mobbing the hot line... I guess I did have hunger.  I forgot that I had bought bread for sandwiches and ate a mini-portion of nasty frozen manicotti, so maybe I'll have another clue to what I might have trouble with.

The shower thing, hubby doesn't want to be home when the shower is non-functional.  I am not going to get broken up about it if I don't manage it myself.  It's going to be a last-minute thing if I even get up the nerve; that way if I do fail, I'm not stuck with a bad shower for more than a week before he can give me some help.

My alcohol consumption is outside of acceptable ranges, partly because I have tolerance, partly because I'm so heavy.  I have something that is explained pretty well by the bottomless bowl experiment in that I loose track of how many times I've filled my glass.

As for thyroid, I actually have a good deal of symptoms.

1. Fatigue after sleeping 8 to 10 hours a night or needing to take a nap daily.
Inconsistent.  Sometimes I'm tired when I've had enough sleep.  Sometimes I'm done sleeping after less than 6 hours or spend less than that time actually being asleep, (lying awake because the mind doesn't need rest but the body does,) and much of that time I have decent energy.

2. Weight gain or the inability to lose weight.
Only times I've stopped being obese was when I wasn't eating consistently and spent a lot of time walking. Still remained heavy side of overweight.

3. Mood issues such as mood swings, anxiety or depression
Really hard to tell because I don't think my brain was wired right to begin with.

4. Hormone imbalances such as PMS, irregular periods, infertility and low sex drive.
Periods were always painful but regular.  I have a tentative diagnosis of PCOS because of the beard, but since I'm not trying to have kids they're not going to test me.  My periods are being almost completely suppressed by birth control.  (I have had a bit of shedding off and on these last few weeks.)

5. Muscle pain, joint pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, or tendonitis.
Tennis elbow and tarsal tunnel, at least.

6. Cold hands and feet, feeling cold when others are not, or having a body temperature consistently below 98.5.
Cold feet to the point where they go numb, and I can barely handle AC in the summer.  I bought a glass thermometer, but keep forgetting to do the morning test.

7. Dry or cracking skin, brittle nails and excessive hair loss.
Brittle nails definitely.  I shed a lot of hair but it still looks full.

8. Constipation.
Had this as a teenager.  The drink mix I use contains an artificial sugar.

9. Mind issues such as brain fog, poor concentration or poor memory.
This is something I grew up with because of the allergies to food additives.

10. Neck swelling, snoring or hoarse voice. 
I snore.  My voice is my voice.  Now that my tooth is rebuilt, I'll see if my swallowing problems go away.

I think I was tested about a year ago and they came back normal.  I'll see about going in again.

It sounds like you do have quite a few symptoms. Stuff like that can overlap with other things and be hard to diagnose, though. Getting in to see a doc and getting the bloodwork done again would seem to make a lot of sense.

Hope the tooth is doing well!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

My tooth is fine.  It feels like he remembered what the old one was shaped like, or I spent just long enough with it gone that having somewhat the right shape feels good enough.

I spent all of yesterday playing Minecraft.  Today I did some work on the back half of the house, cleaned the catbox, cycled the dishwasher from clean to clean, and put the last batch of apple leavings into the dehydrator.  Oh, and hubby tried to convince me to retile the bathroom before he got back.  He ordered the stuff to redo the kitchen counters with since I was having technical problems.  Oh, and I messed with the thermostat so that it would stop emailing him.

I really must brainstorm on what I should and shouldn't try to do, and try to group things into an order of operation.  In addition to resurfacing the countertops, I should install those recessed LED's into the ceiling even if I won't wire them up myself.  I'm also wondering if replacing the stove and getting gas isn't something I should do before counters.  There's a hole in the bucket....

My appetite has gotten better.  Breaking with clean eating and instead going for really addictive food seems to have made me more willing to eat.  When I have to cook for hubs almost every night, I should be able to revert to eating mostly clean.

Is there an app that will keep track of how many days have passed since you last did a routine task?  I'm thinking for my next challenge, just marking certain tasks that have to be done every 4 days or something.

That's a lot of stuff to do for the house!  We put down padding and carpet in our new condo unit a few months back... It took two solid full weekends to get the job done before our move date.  I cannot imagine how much time needed for the stuff you are going to accomplish...  Are you going to get any help?  I hope you do...

Glad your appetite is getting better!  Rawr!  Good for you!

Can't help with the app question... Good luck with that!

Have fun this weekend!  Rawr!

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |

Whatever I get done before hubs gets home is all on my lonesome.  Except that I will have the stove delivered and professionally installed if I do buy it.  My goal is more to have all the materials bought so that if I do decide to do them, I'll be able to do them.  I can only do what I can, so the biggest goal is to just not have a disaster on my hands on Feb. 16 when he gets home, (because that is the jerkiest time to come home.)

"Regularly" is an app that might work for me.  I'll just have to see.

I hope you had a strong finish to your challenge and that you are feeling better. Get that house whipped into shape so you can have some creative fun next time with the rest of the Renaissance Rebels! I really liked your "Do It Again!" meme. You've been great with ideas and supporting the group!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Aww, won't be home for the holidays?  At least he'll be back for the valentine's day weekend.

Hope you are doing well!  Have you decide on the next challenge yet?  I still have to think about what I am gonna do... 

Good luck and take care!  Rawr!

I hope you had a strong finish to your challenge and that you are feeling better. Get that house whipped into shape so you can have some creative fun next time with the rest of the Renaissance Rebels! I really liked your "Do It Again!" meme. You've been great with ideas and supporting the group!

I've had a huge spate of "I don't want to do anything," so I ended with a whimper.  At least I'll be rested.

Aww, won't be home for the holidays?  At least he'll be back for the valentine's day weekend.

Hope you are doing well!  Have you decide on the next challenge yet?  I still have to think about what I am gonna do... 

Good luck and take care!  Rawr!

I use blatant lies when talking about the date.  He's really coming home on "pretend you're a time-traveler" day.

There is a saying... when a sailor's wife gets pregnant, he's either there for the conception of the birth, but usually not both.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines