FaraxK's Getting Ready to Make a Baby Challenge

faraxk

Sorry boys, this topic is a little female topic heavy but hopefully you'll excuse that!

First off, I am so excited about this challenge.  I don't think it's true for everyone, and I didn't think it was true for me, but my biological clock had an alarm and when it went off, it definitely went off.  Like a couple weeks ago went off.  So!  It's baby making time!  Well, not quite yet.  I'm getting off the birth control starting Monday and then we're going to wait a month to clear the system before we start trying to make that baby.  

But!  That means time to work on getting this body as fertile as it can be for a 31, overweight woman who loves soft cheeses (I am trying to process through my feelings of loss of the soft cheeses when I get pregnant).  Not only do I want to focus on health and fertility in this challenge, but also work on my mental balance.  Without my birth control pills and the hormones in them I'm worried I might go a little crazy even before the pregnancy crazy, and that's no fun for the husband.  But I will do my best.

So, what are my goals to get fertile?

Goal 1: Exercise!  I jogged 3 times for 10 minutes each, every week during the last challenge!  AMAZING.  I will keep going.  So this challenge, I'm going for 4 times a week at 15 minutes each.  It's been getting darker and I might need to get a head lamp, but I am in it to keep this exercise thing going CONSISTENTLY!  (Can you tell how excited I am about this consistency thing?)

GRADING: 4x = A, 3x = B, 2x = C, 1x = D, 0x = F

Goal 2: Baby-Making Nutrients!  So that means folate, calcium, iron, and omega 3s.  Currently I'm tracking my food everyday and I'm hitting my folate and calcium levels daily, but my iron is low since I try to eat more vegetarian.  At any rate, this goal is to eat ALL THE FERTILE FOODS.  Lentils, whole dairy, and greens, are the ones I want to focus on.  I have some fertile food lists that I want to eat at least 4 of the foods from every week.  And the general goal is to hit all my nutrient values within the week especially for those 4 nutrient categories.

GRADING: 4 foods = A, 3 foods = B, 2 foods = C, 1 food = D, 0 foods = F

4 100% nutrients = A, 3 100% nutrients = B, 2 100% nutrients = C, 1 100% nutrients = D, 0 100% nutrients = F 

I'm making the last two goals mental goals, cause I'm pretty sure I'm going to need it.

Goal 3: Loving Kindness Meditation!  Take 2 minutes in the evening to do this, and increment by 1 minute each week.  I feel really negative about the world sometimes, and I want to try to counter that so I can leave my kid with a brighter, optimistic outlook and you know focus on building patience and love and all the good emotional stuff that babies need from their moms.

GRADING: 7 days = A, 5-6 days = B, 3-4 days = C, 1-2 days = D, 0 days = F

Goal 4: Journaling!  I've started doing this already, but I want to journal this whole journey.  At least one sentence written for each day until the baby's here.  No matter how short or long it takes, I want to be able to look back at this time and know what I was going through and see the improvements I made.  I'm also hoping it will help me self-regulate some of my emotional issues.

GRADING: 7 days = A, 5-6 days = B, 3-4 days = C, 1-2 days = D, 0 days = F

So that's it!  I won't pretend that I expect to BE pregnant by the end of this challenge, the timeline is really too short, but if somehow I am, that will count as the big bonus.   :)

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Stars hide your fires for these here are my desires
And I won't give them up to you this time around
And so I'll be found with my stake stuck in the ground
Marking the territory of this newly impassioned soul ~ Mumford and Sons

What a beautiful challenge!

I'm kinda in the boat heading the same direction as you, but for medical reasons have to wait till january next year, so you've given me some ideas for future challenges - thank you.

Good luck with the challenge and be sure to enjoy the um... :redface-new:  process as much as you can.

What a beautiful challenge!

I'm kinda in the boat heading the same direction as you, but for medical reasons have to wait till january next year, so you've given me some ideas for future challenges - thank you.

Good luck with the challenge and be sure to enjoy the um... :redface-new:  process as much as you can.

Glad I could give you some ideas!  I love your user name by the way.   :)

Good luck with your challenge, and baby making! This type of challenge is in my future :)

Thank you!  Hehe, if you had asked me when I found Nerd Fitness if I'd be doing a baby-making challenge, I'd be shocked.

Thanks ladies!   :)

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

:)  I share your interests, it seems!  I too am a 31 y/o overweight lady whose biological clock is ticking.  Pregnancy is my Main Quest, as it were, and I am focused on prepping by improving my health.  Your goals look really solid!!  Good luck this challenge.

And, can I just say, I am so inspired by your consistency with your 10 minutes of jogging that I am going to give that a go this coming week.  :)

Oh faraxk, how exciting! And different. It is a loving act to prepare your body. You will also have good use for your consistency once the baby is there :-))

Congratulations on well formulated goals. How will you grade your progress?

I have chosen to believe in myself.

WOW I admit I didn't see it coming :D = it's really BIG and INSPIRING thing to do for yourself and your future babies. Plus it seems that you are prepared damn well for that challenge with your food tracking and things you tried in the past with or without challenges: jogging, meditating, walking, etc...

I think you are great example for many gonna-be-moms :)

About the goals itself: goal 1 is awesome as it's continuation of good stuff you have build before. Just watch your emotions about it when you are raising the amount. 3 times per week were awesome - 4 times might be as awesome but they might be too much - just observe and adjust if needed :) It should feel as I reward to jog - not a responsibility!

Goal 2: that is simply terrific. Thanks to your consistency with food tracking you can now easily tell what you need to eat more and what less. And you can keep track of it :) great way to make sure you give your body fuel it needs :)

goals 3 i 4 - I love that kind of stuff. Stoping for a few minutes and getting it all together. Few minutes of peace and positive emotions can change entire days :)

you gonna rock the challenge. I know you will cause now you have such amazing motivation :)

Elf Druid - Level 8         looking around for happiness || tracking || #intro || #old

"Most people think they’ll feel good once they reach some goal. By linking happiness to something you don’t have yet, you denying yourself the power to create it in the moment. Your happiness is your birth right. It shouldn’t depend on you ACHIEVING something. Start by claiming it and using it to make your journey fun all the way and not just at the end." S.Chandler

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy" G. Apollinaire

I share your interests, it seems!  I too am a 31 y/o overweight lady whose biological clock is ticking.  Pregnancy is my Main Quest, as it were, and I am focused on prepping by improving my health.  Your goals look really solid!!  Good luck this challenge.

And, can I just say, I am so inspired by your consistency with your 10 minutes of jogging that I am going to give that a go this coming week.  

Hey Sambie!  Well good luck!  And yeah, just keep it at ten minutes to start.  This even includes a two minute walking warm-up and cool down so the amount of jogging is not that much.  Just to build the consistency!

Oh faraxk, how exciting! And different. It is a loving act to prepare your body. You will also have good use for your consistency once the baby is there :-))

Congratulations on well formulated goals. How will you grade your progress?

Thanks Evenewbie!  I went ahead and added my grading process.  

WOW I admit I didn't see it coming  = it's really BIG and INSPIRING thing to do for yourself and your future babies. Plus it seems that you are prepared damn well for that challenge with your food tracking and things you tried in the past with or without challenges: jogging, meditating, walking, etc...

I think you are great example for many gonna-be-moms 

About the goals itself: goal 1 is awesome as it's continuation of good stuff you have build before. Just watch your emotions about it when you are raising the amount. 3 times per week were awesome - 4 times might be as awesome but they might be too much - just observe and adjust if needed It should feel as I reward to jog - not a responsibility!

Goal 2: that is simply terrific. Thanks to your consistency with food tracking you can now easily tell what you need to eat more and what less. And you can keep track of it  great way to make sure you give your body fuel it needs 

goals 3 i 4 - I love that kind of stuff. Stoping for a few minutes and getting it all together. Few minutes of peace and positive emotions can change entire days 

you gonna rock the challenge. I know you will cause now you have such amazing motivation 

Haha, yeah, when you were like give me a hint so I can draw from it, I was like, ummmm, not sure if this will help you at all!  ;)  Very excited about it!

Thanks for all the great support!!!

As a bonus before the start of the challenge, I had my monthly weigh-in today, and I lost 3 more pounds, bringing my grand loss total up to 10 pounds.  Great way to start a challenge.  :)

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Great challenge! This is such an exciting time. You are going in with a great attitude! 

When that clock goes off it does amazing things... so getting ready now is a good idea. When it was my time I barely had time to prepare. Just know also that since you are already living a pretty good and sensible lifestyle there is very little more you need to be doing...   I was a stress bundle my first time around, the second time was much better because I relaxed... I had learned that body and baby pretty much take care of things. 

Your last 2 goals are great, between hormones and all the emotions its easy to be all over the place... but again you have it covered! 

Smile, relax and enjoy this time! 

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Haha, yeah, when you were like give me a hint so I can draw from it, I was like, ummmm, not sure if this will help you at all!   ;)  Very excited about it!

Thanks for all the great support!!!

As a bonus before the start of the challenge, I had my monthly weigh-in today, and I lost 3 more pounds, bringing my grand loss total up to 10 pounds.  Great way to start a challenge.   :)

heheh :) now I see it :)

but hey, can a man become more fertile? I mean I don't need it now, but a year or two from today I wouldn't mind to increase my chances of "scoring the goal"  :panda: and so I wonder - does the same microelements works for men as for women? Does nutrition has anything to do with that at all when it comes to men? I have no idea, maybe one of ladies here will know> ...

Elf Druid - Level 8         looking around for happiness || tracking || #intro || #old

"Most people think they’ll feel good once they reach some goal. By linking happiness to something you don’t have yet, you denying yourself the power to create it in the moment. Your happiness is your birth right. It shouldn’t depend on you ACHIEVING something. Start by claiming it and using it to make your journey fun all the way and not just at the end." S.Chandler

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy" G. Apollinaire

but hey, can a man become more fertile? I mean I don't need it now, but a year or two from today I wouldn't mind to increase my chances of "scoring the goal"  :panda: and so I wonder - does the same microelements works for men as for women? Does nutrition has anything to do with that at all when it comes to men? I have no idea, maybe one of ladies here will know> ...

Well, if you ask the Indian womenfolk, they will recommend you to eat bananas daily and to drink milk. Haha. Duno how much truth is in that! ;)

'The only Limits you have, are the ones You set for yourself'

1    2

Great challenge! This is such an exciting time. You are going in with a great attitude! 

When that clock goes off it does amazing things... so getting ready now is a good idea. When it was my time I barely had time to prepare. Just know also that since you are already living a pretty good and sensible lifestyle there is very little more you need to be doing...   I was a stress bundle my first time around, the second time was much better because I relaxed... I had learned that body and baby pretty much take care of things. 

Your last 2 goals are great, between hormones and all the emotions its easy to be all over the place... but again you have it covered! 

Smile, relax and enjoy this time! 

Thanks Chanda!  I really appreciate the support.  If you have any ideas or suggestions I should think about let me know!

Hehe, yes!  Actually since the husband won't eat the healthy food I have him taking fish oil and vitamin D pills, since those are supposed to help with male fertility.  I'm sure there are other foods too.  But yeah, I figure it's more important to focus on my fertility and health since I just need one good sperm from him, and well, this is where the baby has to develop and live for nine months.  :)

Well, if you ask the Indian womenfolk, they will recommend you to eat bananas daily and to drink milk. Haha. Duno how much truth is in that! ;)

Hehe, really?  I know I'm supposed to be getting lots of full fat dairy food.  I'm making avocado fudge today.  Not sure how it will taste but the pictures look great.

Well I totally spaced doing my meditation last night, augh.  But I will remember tonight!

I did do my journaling, and jogging yesterday.  So far I've eaten spinach, chia seeds, and eggs.  Need to get the beans and lentils working in.  Did you know oysters have a ton of iron?  And McCormicks does $1 oysters every Wednesday?  I am SO getting oysters.  Yum.

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Hehe, really?  I know I'm supposed to be getting lots of full fat dairy food.  I'm making avocado fudge today.  Not sure how it will taste but the pictures look great.

Well, they say thats for the guys, lol. Maybe its for everyone :D

Avacado Fudge? Please post a pic. I'm intrigued!

'The only Limits you have, are the ones You set for yourself'

1    2

Well, they say thats for the guys, lol. Maybe its for everyone :D

Avacado Fudge? Please post a pic. I'm intrigued!

Gah, I haven't made it yet, because I keep forgetting to buy an ingredient, but tomorrow darn it!  Just need to find some dates still.  Here is the recipe: http://ragdollkitchen.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/not-exactly-play-dough-anymore/.  Looks delicious, no?  :)

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

All, right, mid-ish week check-in.  I need to hurl myself up off the couch soon and go make a green smoothie.  But check-in first.

Goal 1: 3/4 jogs done.  No walking yet this week, which I plan to do today.  Last challenge my goal was to have more energy and I think the jogging is definitely the source cause I'm not nearly as sleepy as I was six+ weeks ago.

Goal 2: So far have had spinach, almonds, chia seeds and eggs.  Nutrients for folate, iron, and omega 3s are at 100% for the week so far.  Need to get my calcium up a tiny bit.  Also, need to get some beans into my diet this week.  Goal for today!

Goal 3: 2/7, have remembered since forgetting Monday night.  Will keep working on this.

Goal 4: Have journaled everyday so far.  Very helpful!

That's it for me.  See you guys this weekend.  :)

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

ok - don't tell my husband i told - i went off my birth control back in June.  no baby yet. but i'm all about getting my eating and exercising in order.  i also just turned 30. i've got 2 great stepkids - but this is my first time going for a baby.  totes excited.

maybe we should start an accountability group next challenge???

i also am worried about having to give up soft cheese.  mexican food is my favorite thing. 

my biggest hurdle is cutting back the caffeine. i love coffee.  i drink way too much.  i already made the switch to half caff at home. but i'm still drinking a good 8-10oz too much every single day.  every day.  ugh.

subbing your thread.  best of luck!!!

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

ok - don't tell my husband i told - i went off my birth control back in June.  no baby yet. but i'm all about getting my eating and exercising in order.  i also just turned 30. i've got 2 great stepkids - but this is my first time going for a baby.  totes excited.

maybe we should start an accountability group next challenge???

i also am worried about having to give up soft cheese.  mexican food is my favorite thing. 

my biggest hurdle is cutting back the caffeine. i love coffee.  i drink way too much.  i already made the switch to half caff at home. but i'm still drinking a good 8-10oz too much every single day.  every day.  ugh.

subbing your thread.  best of luck!!!

lol, well, good luck allirep.  Hope eating and exercising will help and hope the husband will be on board!

An accountability group for getting pregnant?   :)

Luckily I don't have an issue with caffeine I don't think.  Don't drink much coffee or soda ever.  I've heard it can really mess with fertility, so maybe a good idea to try cutting back!

Good luck to you and thanks!

Still one more day tomorrow but so far the stats for the week are:

Jogs: 5/4

Food: 4/4 (chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, eggs, yogurt, spinach, shrimp and salmon) and betweeen 90-100% on nutrition totals

Meditation: 3/7

Journaling: 5/7

Need to figure out a way to entice me to meditate more.  Might have to put the meditation bell music back on my ipod.  

In other news, the avocado fudge is chilling in the freezer and should be done soon.  On initial taste, it's like a bitter dark chocolate with a tiny bit of sweetness cause I added a little extra honey.  I will probably devour when cold (but will try not to, cause that wouldn't be good).

Also, I read a little book called "This is Water: Some Thoughts, Delivered on a Significant Occasion, about Living a Compassionate Life" by David Foster Wallace and it was lovely.  Now I should probably go do laundry.

Away!

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

hey Farax :) I like the positive energy and enthusiasm beaming from your posts :D

The jogs and food are going great I see - u have this one for sure :) with meditation try as many ideas u can figure to make it happen - it will be worth it. Just don't get discourage if u miss few days. Try new setups and repeat those which u enjoy the most :) and repeat and repeat and reapeat .... some meditations will be amazing, some will be bleeeh, but the key is to stop judging them and just keep doing :) persistence and patience - that's what works for me !! good luck !

ps. ohh and thx for the tips with fish oil and vit D :pirate:

hi! sorry i'm a little late getting over here to your thread.

you have wonderful goals! i love the idea of a baby-making challenge. (for you. not for me. lol) but to spend your time getting your body ready for a little one? such a wonderful, worth-while task.

i'm all smiley and excited for you!

An accountability group for getting pregnant?   :)

this made me lol

this person really wants to delete their account but can't because it's not allowed.

Just finished a jog.  Need the husband to get out of the bathroom so I can wash all this sweat off and get to work!!!

Anyway, Challenge Week 1 Grading

Jogs: 5/4 A+  From the girl who hated anything resembling jogging about 8 weeks ago, this is huge.  I think it has so much to do with the fact that I can run through trees and totally get my nature on now instead of being stuck in green lawn suburbia.

Nutrition: Foods A+ (spinach, chia, sunflower, and pumpkin seeds, eggs, yogurt, shrimp, salmon and avocados), Vitamin Totals: 100% on all four, A.  I thought I was going to be a little low on iron, but a little bowl of cereal last night pushed me over, I guess.

Meditation: 5/7 B I've been giving myself extra time before I go to bed, so hopefully next week I'll get 7/7

Journaling: 7/7 A, this has been a really strong goal for me.  I want to document this whole process and have it as a time to look back on.  So far, so good.  :)

All right, time to get ready for work.

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

hey Farax :) I like the positive energy and enthusiasm beaming from your posts :D

The jogs and food are going great I see - u have this one for sure :) with meditation try as many ideas u can figure to make it happen - it will be worth it. Just don't get discourage if u miss few days. Try new setups and repeat those which u enjoy the most :) and repeat and repeat and reapeat .... some meditations will be amazing, some will be bleeeh, but the key is to stop judging them and just keep doing :) persistence and patience - that's what works for me !! good luck !

ps. ohh and thx for the tips with fish oil and vit D :pirate:

Thanks Panczo!  And doh I skipped meditation last night.  Not off to a good start this week, but I will persist!

hi! sorry i'm a little late getting over here to your thread.

you have wonderful goals! i love the idea of a baby-making challenge. (for you. not for me. lol) but to spend your time getting your body ready for a little one? such a wonderful, worth-while task.

i'm all smiley and excited for you!

this made me lol

Thank you upirygirl!  I appreciate the encouragement!  It's nice to have people in this with me.   :)

Well the week is off to a good start.  I found a cheat for getting my nutrients, Kashi cinnamon cereal.  I should make a goal to eat more whole, non-processed food, but this stuff is yummy.

Jogs: 2/4

Nutrition: foods this week so far: greens mix (kale,spinach, chard), yogurt, almonds, prunes, avocado fudge (nom, nom, nom)

Meditation: 0/7... eep...

Journaling: 1/7 so far so good....

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

hey, why so quiet here? :D 

I believe you are rocking your challenge awesomely.

Hey guys, thanks for checking in on me.  I wish I could say I've been having a great week, but a surgery this week to remove some skin cancer on my face got in my way and knocked me out a little bit.  I'm doing well, all of it's gone and I'm just in the healing phase.  I think today my motivation levels are making a come back too, but my second week definitely hasn't been the strongest one.

At any rate though, here's what I did accomplish!

Challenge Week 2 Grading:

Jogs: 3/4 - I got the stitches on Wednesday and I can't get them wet for a week so that kind of put a kabosh on my jogs since it's been raining pretty much non-stop here in sunny Oregon.  Hopefully after this week though I can pick it up again.  B

Nutrtion: I have been doing really well here.  Foods include: greens (kale, spinach, beet leaves, chard), clams, avocado fudge, eggs, yogurt, prunes, and fish.  Nutrients for my 4 groups are also at 100% for the week.   A

Meditation: only 2/7 although I'll try to do it tonight.  I've been going to bed too late and feeling too tired to do it.  Need to get to bed earlier this week.  That will be my goal to help with meditation.  D

Journaling: 5/7, lost motivation the last couple of days, but I will pick back up tonight.  Same story, need to go to bed earlier.  B

So far it's been a good weekend.  I wrote 15 pages on a story yesterday, which I have to remind myself is productive even though I was procrastinating on chores.  Today I've done said chores and a tai chi video.  I made home made quiche yesterday, and today will be a home made pizza.  I love it when I feel productive.  Here's to a better week for everyone!  

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines