Smurray's quest for the best role model for my kids continues on...

smurray

I have to share this with you guys.  We had a 5k to run this weekend and i was planning on pushing both my girls in the double stroller.  Remember they are maxing it out with almost 120lbs!  The older kid decided that morning she was going to run in the race.  She walk/jogged the entire race and did not finish in last place!  She finished with a time of nearly 48:00 mins and got a medal!  She was so excited that she did the week 4 couch to 5k with her mom the next evening to rack up 2 more miles for the weekend.  She also inspired her sister to go fo a little run with me and we got .75 miles of a walk/jog with a bunch of high fives mixed in.  Pretty good weekend in Smurrayland.  BTW That is my friend who ran her first 5k photobombing.  I was proud of her as well.

livi5k.jpg

Smurray -- Ranger (Level 4)

STR 8 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 8 | WIS 14 | CHA 9

Challenges:

Current,, First, Second, Third, Fourth

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

Holy cow, Smurray - you are KILLING those workouts.  You're making me tired just reading them.  I'll need to go lay down now. :playful:

Keep up the good work!  Sounds like you're hitting a serious pace now after what you described as a slower start.  I'm particularly impressed by how you've channeled tough stress at work into more intense workouts, rather than letting it just get you down.  Way to go!

I was in the zone for those workouts.  With the huge paper I had to write, I had to put a break inbetween work and study.  It did help me focus when I got back to the paper.  Now that the paper is done, it dosen't look as crazy.

You're doing AWESOME.  Those sound like some fun work outs.  Those ropes are soooo deceiving - I remember seeing people do them and thinking that doesn't look so hard until I tried them.  15 seconds of being on them and your ams a screaming! Sound like you're doing great working out so far keep i up!! 

I am really liking the ropes.  I think I am seeing a difference by finishing up my strength days with a 5 minute rope routine of 45 sec movements and 15 sec rest.  My core is feeling stronger and hopefully my metabolism is beeing kicked up to the next level.

Way to go Smurray!  What a HUGE week for workout!  That last one sound like a beast - I've never tried the ropes, but they definitely sound like a challenge that you crushed.   :)

Thanks.  If you have access to some ropes, I strongly recommend giving them a try. 

You are killing this challenge!  And the fort looks AMAZING! Keep up the awesome work!

How did week 2 go?

Week 2 is doing pretty good with workouts, but the eating out is another story.  I will give out the report soon.

Great job on the week!  The fort is looking FANTASTIC!  And the workouts sound pretty awesome.  Go week 3!

The fort is coming along.  I have got to schedule time to really get some heavy work done on it.

Challenges:

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

Oh, I forgot to mention,  this weekend I signed up for Tough Mudder.  Tennessee run will be next June and I will be in the pack.  That's right, Smurray's quest has made the turn towards the land of Tough Mud.  Let the intensity continue.

Challenges:

Woot!  I love that your ultimate goal is already starting to shine through.  That your girls are wanting to get out and exercise with you is AWESOME!  And yay tough mudder!  That will be fun.

It is fun watching them run.  I hope this will last for awhile.

Challenges:

Goal 1: weight- Drop weight to 217 lbs. Weight has always been a challenge for me and I was successful with a 15lb drop on the last 6WC. This will be a constant on the quest until I achieve a proper weight under 190 lbs.

PASS or FAIL (1 CHA, 1 STA, 1 DEX)  Weight is down to 220. Still ahead of my goal for the challenge.

Goal 2: diet- Last 6WC I had the goal of logging all of my meals and I completed it with 100% success. In that I had noticed that we eat out a lot. I did cut it back, but I need to work on it more. This 6WC I will grade myself on the total number of times I do not eat out at a restaurant. If you 3 meals a day for 6 weeks that is 126 meals, I will keep count of how many meals I eat out and deduct it from my total. I will get 3 CON for an A, 2 CON for a B, and 1 CON for a C. I will get 1 WIS for completing the task for the 6WC.

All days logged 100%-90%(113 meal at home) A, 89%-80%(100 meals at home)B, 79%-70%(88 meals at home) C 60%- D, below 60% - F (3 CON, 1 WIS)

5/21 or 76% or a C.   I don't have an excuse.  I just ate out too many times. 

Goal 3: exercise- I am a little stumped on this one. I worked on strength and cardio on the last 6WC and did really well. This time, I think I am going to encourage myself to add variety to my workouts. At my gym we have a HIIT board that the trainers write up daily challenges. They try to make a point to add variety to your work out and have you use equipment you may not use in your regular work out. Each week, I will do at least two HIIT programs and then during that same week, I will develop or find a workout that uses one of the pieces of equipment that I learned to use during the HIIT workouts. That will be at least 12 HIIT workouts and 6 unique workouts

10 or more HIIT and 6 to 5 unique – A, 6 to 9 HIIT and 4 to 3 unique – B, anything less F (2 STR, 1 STA, 1 DEX)

2 HIIT on week 2 and added uneven pushups and sprints to my Friday routine.  During one of my sprints I strained my right calf muscle.  I was able to make it through a 5k on Saturday and a solid run on Sunday.  On Monday the calf felt much better and I went back to the track at the gym.  After my first lap, it acted up again.  Taking it much easier this week.

Life goal: Last 6WC we began a fort for my girls and it is coming along quite well. This 6WC we will complete it. Progress posts each week with pictures.

PASS or FAIL (3 WIS, 1 CHA)

Did not get a chance to work on the fort during week 2.  Spent all my time working on a paper and presentation for class.

Motivation will be setting a good example for my kids and showing them how to live every day to the fullest.

Challenges:

Oh no about the calf!  I hope it starts to shape up quickly and it was just a minor setback.  All things considered, even though your eating out goal wasn't A, it's an improvement over before and the numbers on the scale are still going where you want.  Keep up the good work!

FluffyRin  --  Ranger (Level 4)

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 4.5 | CON 10 | WIS 10 | CHA 6

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, Current

AWESOME that you are setting such a great example for your kids and they are already enthusiastically following it.  Sounds like you are hitting a home run in the most important area, dad - keep up the great leadership in your home.  SUPER JOB!

OrcWarrior

Current challenge  6 5 4 3 2 1 Favorite recipes

Level 4 ranger  Str 13 Dex 4 Sta 12 Con 12 Wis 11 Cha 5

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

Oh no about the calf!  I hope it starts to shape up quickly and it was just a minor setback.  All things considered, even though your eating out goal wasn't A, it's an improvement over before and the numbers on the scale are still going where you want.  Keep up the good work!

I finally gave in and now letting the muscle rest.  Yesterday I did the row machine and battle ropes to keep impact off my legs and today I just took a rest day.  The leg is feeling better and hopefully by the weekend I can get back to pounding the pavement.  I also scheduled an appoinment with my doctor tomorrow to re evaulate my medicine since I have dropped 30 lbs.  I have been having a little stronger side effects from my blood pressure medicine and I am hoping for a reduction in it as a result of all my hard work.

AWESOME that you are setting such a great example for your kids and they are already enthusiastically following it.  Sounds like you are hitting a home run in the most important area, dad - keep up the great leadership in your home.  SUPER JOB!

Thanks, it is a lot of fun seeing them wanting to be involved.  Going back to school has really cut into time I spend with them so it is good we can do this together.

Challenges:

Goal 1: weight- Drop weight to 217 lbs. Weight has always been a challenge for me and I was successful with a 15lb drop on the last 6WC. This will be a constant on the quest until I achieve a proper weight under 190 lbs.

PASS or FAIL (1 CHA, 1 STA, 1 DEX)

No change still 220lbs.  This past week was real bad on eating.  It was like I gave up and I am falling back into old habits.  I have got to get back on track in order to finish strong with this one.

Goal 2: diet- Last 6WC I had the goal of logging all of my meals and I completed it with 100% success. In that I had noticed that we eat out a lot. I did cut it back, but I need to work on it more. This 6WC I will grade myself on the total number of times I do not eat out at a restaurant. If you 3 meals a day for 6 weeks that is 126 meals, I will keep count of how many meals I eat out and deduct it from my total. I will get 3 CON for an A, 2 CON for a B, and 1 CON for a C. I will get 1 WIS for completing the task for the 6WC.

All days logged 100%-90%(113 meal at home) A, 89%-80%(100 meals at home)B, 79%-70%(88 meals at home) C 60%- D, below 60% - F (3 CON, 1 WIS)

8/21- 66%- D  This is why goal 1 is where it is.  We went out of town for the weekend and ate like crazy.  The habit is creeping back and I am not doing a good job stopping it.

Goal 3: exercise- I am a little stumped on this one. I worked on strength and cardio on the last 6WC and did really well. This time, I think I am going to encourage myself to add variety to my workouts. At my gym we have a HIIT board that the trainers write up daily challenges. They try to make a point to add variety to your work out and have you use equipment you may not use in your regular work out. Each week, I will do at least two HIIT programs and then during that same week, I will develop or find a workout that uses one of the pieces of equipment that I learned to use during the HIIT workouts. That will be at least 12 HIIT workouts and 6 unique workouts

10 or more HIIT and 6 to 5 unique – A, 6 to 9 HIIT and 4 to 3 unique – B, anything less F (2 STR, 1 STA, 1 DEX)

No new HIIT programs on the board so I am using the internet  and my Convict Conditioning book for ideas.  My calf is still bothering me and I getting really frustrated with no being able to run like I have been.  Still doing the elliptical for cardio and a lot of upper body exercises to let my calf rest.

Life goal: Last 6WC we began a fort for my girls and it is coming along quite well. This 6WC we will complete it. Progress posts each week with pictures.

I did get some work done on the fort.  I installed two benches and some more wall pieces.  I did not get a good picture since it was dark when I finished, but I will get one posted soon.

Motivation will be setting a good example for my kids and showing them how to live every day to the fullest.

Challenges:

Ok.  How about a mini challenge - you and me next week.  I need some extra motivation and it sounds like you can use it too!  You get back on track with food, I'll get back on track with exercise.  Deal?   :)

Ok.  next week sounds good because this week already stinks.  It is on like Donkey Kong!

Challenges:

How's the PVP going? Good luck!

I can empathize on the eating - hard to stay motivated sometimes, especially when life gets busier and more challenging.  I've been trying to stay in problem-solving mode - what worked before?  When am I most vulnerable?  What kind of self-talk do I have going on when I succeed in resisting temptation and when I fail?  These kinds of things are helping me get back on track after several weeks of more unrestrained eating.  But it's definitely challenging.

Looking forward to the updated fort pics!

OrcWarrior

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

I also have two days of not eating out and hoping to finsh out with day three tonight. Monday I did mix of my Convict Conditioning workout and battle ropes and yesterday I did 6.4 miles of roadwork and 30 minutes of elliptical.  Tonight I have My training for that urban run.  Workouts are going pretty good.

Challenges:

How's the PVP going? Good luck!

I can empathize on the eating - hard to stay motivated sometimes, especially when life gets busier and more challenging.  I've been trying to stay in problem-solving mode - what worked before?  When am I most vulnerable?  What kind of self-talk do I have going on when I succeed in resisting temptation and when I fail?  These kinds of things are helping me get back on track after several weeks of more unrestrained eating.  But it's definitely challenging.

Looking forward to the updated fort pics!

I have been doing close to the same thing here.  I think I have hit a plateau on the weight loss and now I have to really get the momentum going in the final stretch.  I have gotten over the calf strain so the workouts are getting back to full steam again.  The biggest challenge right now is the little piles of candy around at different departments at work.  Must keep the hands away.

Challenges:

PASS or FAIL (1 CHA, 1 STA, 1 DEX)  Getting out of my slump and lost another pound to put me at 219

All days logged 100%-90%(113 meal at home) A, 89%-80%(100 meals at home)B, 79%-70%(88 meals at home) C 60%- D, below 60% - F (3 CON, 1 WIS)  7/21 66% -D  I got a PvP with Fluff to help in this area for next week.

The HIIT workout concentrated on running and i was recovering from a calf strain, so I worked with the elliptical and row machine for cardio, and battle ropes and convict conditioning for strength.  The whole week was unique workouts to help with my leg recovery.  At the end i was able to get back to running.

We got more pallets up for the wall and have just about finished with the loft to where we feel ok with the girls up there without supervision.  I will post a pic soon when I get one.  it has been dark by the time I think about taking it.

Challenges:

Hey smurray! Hope you were able to finish out last week strong.  Glad to hear the calf is feeling better - did you enjoy your workouts again?

Hey, I started strong and than my family took over my meals.  made it to Thursday night without eating out and I had to get to class from work.  I caved in and got a deli meal from a grocery store and it was awful!  The stuff was left on the steam table from lunch and just tasted old.  Friday, i had a date night with my wife and we ate out again.  Saturday we celebrated my daughter's birthday and let her plan the day.  I ate out for breakfast and dinner on that day and then breakfast and lunch on Sunday.  i had tried to hint to them it would be nice not to eat out on Sunday, but i think I fell upon deaf ears.  I hate that I sound like I am blamming my family fo this, but it is hard to get this turning when not everyone is on board.  so overall, 6 out of 21 meals or a score of 71%.  Pretty lousy, but better than last week.

Challenges:

Sounds like despite the call of the restaurants you've been kicking butt on workouts. Way to persevere!

OrcWarrior

PASS or FAIL (1 CHA, 1 STA, 1 DEX)  I got close this time, but stalled out in the middle.  I got down to 219 but snuck back to 220 at the end.  A couple of factors that led to this were a change in my medication and a calf strain during this 6WC and just basically losing steam.  I am not beating myself up too much since I lost 7 lbs, so I will get 1 CHA for this.

All days logged 100%-90%(113 meal at home) A, 89%-80%(100 meals at home)B, 79%-70%(88 meals at home) C 60%- D, below 60% - F (3 CON, 1 WIS)  This was really tough and I have learned that if you do not have your family completely on board, you will have an uphill battle.  At work, I was going strong, but after work was a different story.  I pretty much landed inbetween C and D for this and I will give myself 1 WIS for learning that you cannot tackle this challenge alone.

This was more of the shining light for this 6WC.  I developed my calf strain early on and I had to come up with different exercises to let my calf heal.  I also stayed consistant with a workout class once a week that is a blend of calisthenics and cardio and it really gave me some new ideas.  The HIIT boad started shwoing more running with sprints and I was not in the position to pull that off.  I will give myself an A for this one, beacause i stuck with unique and different programs throughout the whole 6WC. (2 STR, 1 STA, 1DEX)

I didn't complete it, but I have worked on it at least one day every week.  We are see progress, so I am passing for this challenge.  I think I was grading too hard on the life goal because I want to get it done, but you cannot rush cool stuff all the time.  (3WIS, 1CHA)

20131027_174458.jpg

20131027_174609.jpg

20131027_174646.jpg

20131027_174738.jpg

20131027_174824.jpg

Challenges:

Woot!  Sorry for the late check in, but this challenge seems to have gone really well for you.  I know you may not have ended up exactly where you wanted to be, but with the calf strain you still managed to stay active and awesome.  :)

Super impressive that you still shaved off 7lbs while modifying your workouts for injury.  Great job!

FluffyRin  --  Ranger (Level 4)

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 4.5 | CON 10 | WIS 10 | CHA 6

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, Current

Thanks,

Now that i have recovered from the calf strain, I have a sprained ankle to nurse.  Give me a week and i will be back in the game.  Hopefully I can get rid of a few lbs gained from holiday snacking.

Challenges:

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines