Direrael will grow from a gladiator into a SWANSON!

direrael

Ron Swanson is pretty much the best sitcom character on TV right now. And let's face it: every man, (or woman, like me) would be better off if they followed his Pyramid of Greatness. BEHOLD.

That's exactly what I'm going to do this challenge.

OVERALL GOAL: Get down to 20% bodyfat.

I currently sit at about 28%. I gained about a percentage point last challenge, which is super annoying, but I have only myself to blame, so I'm determined to do better this challenge. Who better than Ron Swanson to inspire me?

Goal #1: "DISCIPLINE: The ability to repeat a boring thing over and over again."

I don't think anyone will argue that clean eating isn't always fun. But it is the most important thing when it comes to losing those percentage points, so that has to be my first focus. My aim here is to eat totally clean during the week, except for one cheat meal. I didn't do so hot last time, so this time I'm blackmailing myself with a system I'll talk about in more detail later.

1 cheat meal/week: A. 2/week: B. 3/week: C. 4/week: D. 5/week: F.

Goal #2: "TORSO. Should be thick and impenetrable".

Over the last year and a half I've really come a long way as far as building muscle and getting in shape. I've been on Stronglifts for about 6 months now, with a few bumps along the way, but I've seen a lot of improvement and I want to keep increasing my lifts. The goal here will be to lift around 100,000lbs by the time the challenge is done.

100,000+ pounds=A. 90,000-99,999=B. 80,000-89999=C, etc.

Goal #3: "COW PROTEIN. PIG PROTEIN. CHICKEN PROTEIN. ROMANTIC LOVE. DEER PROTEIN. FISH (sport only)"

My romantic love right now pretty much extends to bacon. I love following the paleo diet, but sometimes I fall into a rut of eating the same recipes over and over. Finding new ways to spice up the food I eat will help a lot with the clean eating goal. So, I aim to try one new recipe - preferably a new way of cooking meat - every week.

P/F per week.

Life Goal: "INTENSITY. Give 100%. 110% is impossible. Only idiots recommend that."

I've been pretty lazy lately about sleeping in and then not giving myself enough time to get ready for the day. I want to start getting up at 7:30 every morning during the week for this challenge.

Get up on time every day=A. Miss one day=B, etc.

Bonus fitness goal: This won't be graded, but I need to get myself in better shape overall - not just strength-wise. To do this, I'll take a page from Ron Swanson's favorite activities and incorporate special finishers into my training. Sledgehammer swings, tire flips, farmers walks - anything and everything that Ron Swanson does just for fun.

Bring on the challenge!

ron-swanson-overly-manly-man.jpg

Amazing theme, I love it! I want Ron Swanson to adopt me.

Your goals look fantastic too, well rounded and achievable :) I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the new recipe portion. I'm always looking for new ideas!

The getting up goal is a good one too - I tried it a few challenges ago, and now I'm finally in the habit, to the point that it's difficult for me to sleep past 7 even when I want to :( But it's worth it - I actually look put together at work, and I have much more productive weekends. I found the self-discipline aspect was the hardest though - it didn't get easier until my body itself got used to it, the mind was no help at all!

Anyways, best of luck to you in this shiny new challenge! With a mentor like that, you have no choice but to succeed :D

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Love that life goal!! I had that one down....and then I lost it. I want it back. It might be possible that I'll steal this goal from you.

Level 7 Ranger, Perpetual Newbie

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

Mary Oliver

Ron Swanson looks exactly like my uncle. It makes watching Parks and Rec pretty hilarious to me! Can't wait to see you rock this challenge, Direrael!

Level 24 Frost Archer ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Current Challenge: therealkat :: a witty challenge title appears!

MyFitnessPal || Strava || Endomondo || SmashRun || Twitch

I Instagram. I tweet. I cosplay. And I'm on Facebook

Amazing theme, I love it! I want Ron Swanson to adopt me.

Your goals look fantastic too, well rounded and achievable :) I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the new recipe portion. I'm always looking for new ideas!

The getting up goal is a good one too - I tried it a few challenges ago, and now I'm finally in the habit, to the point that it's difficult for me to sleep past 7 even when I want to :( But it's worth it - I actually look put together at work, and I have much more productive weekends. I found the self-discipline aspect was the hardest though - it didn't get easier until my body itself got used to it, the mind was no help at all!

Anyways, best of luck to you in this shiny new challenge! With a mentor like that, you have no choice but to succeed :D

Thanks! I really hope it does become a habit. If so, I'll give myself some cold beans from a can as a reward! 

Looking forward to seeing what you cook :-). Good luck!

Thanks! Good luck on your challenge as well!

Love that life goal!! I had that one down....and then I lost it. I want it back. It might be possible that I'll steal this goal from you.

DO IT. We can be drowsy together!

great looking goals there, will be watching closely, especially those recipes.

Thanks! I'll be following you as well!

I love your theme. :) We can share misery over clean eating and attempting new recipes!

Definitely. I'm looking forward to following you again!

Ron Swanson looks exactly like my uncle. It makes watching Parks and Rec pretty hilarious to me! Can't wait to see you rock this challenge, Direrael!

Ugh, so jealous. Does he love woodcarving and fishing?

First Futurama, now RON SWANSON. Amazing. Oh and nice goals too...

hahaha, thanks! 

Exactly what Wovercast said. Good luck! Looking forward to hearing what the fun bonus activities are!

:D

So the first two days went well. Haven't gotten to the gym yet, but I plan to go later today. Got up around 8:00 all week so far, so that goal is going well, and tonight will be recipe night. :D

I also wanted to mention how I'm blackmailing myself into clean eating lately. 

So, being a lavish spender at heart, there are quite a few things I have on my wishlist at the moment - books, video games, etc. Recently, my brother moved out of our den to go to college, and I'd like to convert the big room back there into a gaming/entertainment room. So, I've also added a nice tv to my wishlist, since we still have one of those old non-flatscreens in our living room, and use it for Netflix and the like. However, since I am also trying to be more responsible with money, it wouldn't be wise to just rush out and throw money at everything I want.

This is what I'm doing instead: I have an envelope with 1 and 5 dollar bills, and two other envelopes, one for charity, and one for spending money. Every day of clean eating, I put one into the envelope for spending. I get one cheat meal a week, but if I choose not to cheat, I get 5 dollars toward the spending envelope. If I give in and cheat when I'm not supposed to, I don't get the dollar for the day, and I also have to take one out of the spending envelope and put those two into the charity envelope. Once it's been delegated to charity, it's gone for good, whereas the spending money is fair game if I mess up.

So it's sort of a win-win: I reward myself when things go well, and when I slip up, at least some good is coming out of it in the form of charity.

It seems to be working pretty well so far.

This is what I'm doing instead: I have an envelope with 1 and 5 dollar bills, and two other envelopes, one for charity, and one for spending money. Every day of clean eating, I put one into the envelope for spending. I get one cheat meal a week, but if I choose not to cheat, I get 5 dollars toward the spending envelope. If I give in and cheat when I'm not supposed to, I don't get the dollar for the day, and I also have to take one out of the spending envelope and put those two into the charity envelope. Once it's been delegated to charity, it's gone for good, whereas the spending money is fair game if I mess up

I am totally stealing this.  Awesome idea.  

1st Challenge2nd Challenge3rd Challenge (Current)

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | CON: 3 | STA: 5 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

Excellence is born of preparation, dedication, focus and tenacity; compromise on any of these and you become average and being average sucks.

Your blackmail system is awesome! I love it. I tried giving myself $20 for each week of not missing any workouts (to go toward a new wardrobe), but mostly I forget about it. I think I have like $80 sitting around in an envelope somewhere...

The loss of money for cheating though, that's brilliant! Let us know how it works out in the end :)

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Thanks guys! I ended up making this. The fish sauce and apple cider vinegar really made it tasty - usually I stick to garlic powder, salt and pepper, so it's good to have a new set of flavors!

20110722-102639.jpg

Thanks Ron. I knew you'd approve.

Yesterday I got pretty drowsy in the afternoon, but I didn't want to let the squad down, so I went to the gym anyway. :D

Negatives: 4x5

Incline Pushups: 4x7.  I have only one rung left on the squat rack. I estimate that I will be starting on full, chest-to ground pushups in ten days of training. Seriously excited.

Squats: 5x45, 5x65, 3x85, 3x95, 5x5x105. Felt good. No form problems.

Bench Press: 5x45, 3x65, 2x75, 5x85, 3x85, 3x85, 2x85, 2x85. Gaaaah. So frustrating. I was supposed to be working my way back up to 90, and here I've stalled out below that. I know that the increase in pushup difficulty affects this, but still.

1-arm DB Row: 5 sets of 6x45, each arm.

Inverted Row: 4x7

Thought the Warrior's Bear Complex challenge looked like fun, so decided to try it out. The plan was to start with the bar and increase by five pounds for each set, but I only did one set at 45 and two at 50 pounds. My arms and shoulders were already torched from my usual training, though, so I'd like to give these another try sometime when I'm a bit fresher. Still, those things are no joke!

Went home and devoured a ton of ground beef, then finished The Lost City of Z, which was amazing. I might have to do an explorer-themed challenge sometime.

tumblr_lqe5ox6wty1r1vggvo1_500.png

I was just going to enjoy your challenge from the sidelines, but your new avatar is so good I had to jump in and say: "Your avatar is so good!!"

Another Parks & Rec fan here - and I work in local government - so I get a special enjoyment watching every week.

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Went home and devoured a ton of ground beef, then finished The Lost City of Z, which was amazing. I might have to do an explorer-themed challenge sometime.

Absolutely loved that book.  I'm reading Kon-Tiki right now which is in the same vein.  Keep up the great work!

1st Challenge2nd Challenge3rd Challenge (Current)

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | CON: 3 | STA: 5 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

Excellence is born of preparation, dedication, focus and tenacity; compromise on any of these and you become average and being average sucks.

Thanks guys! I ended up making this. The fish sauce and apple cider vinegar really made it tasty - usually I stick to garlic powder, salt and pepper, so it's good to have a new set of flavors!

Mmmm thanks for the inspiration, made a similar dish for dinner tonight after reading this.

Yesterday I got pretty drowsy in the afternoon, but I didn't want to let the squad down, so I went to the gym anyway. :D

Negatives: 4x5

Incline Pushups: 4x7.  I have only one rung left on the squat rack. I estimate that I will be starting on full, chest-to ground pushups in ten days of training. Seriously excited.

Squats: 5x45, 5x65, 3x85, 3x95, 5x5x105. Felt good. No form problems.

Bench Press: 5x45, 3x65, 2x75, 5x85, 3x85, 3x85, 2x85, 2x85. Gaaaah. So frustrating. I was supposed to be working my way back up to 90, and here I've stalled out below that. I know that the increase in pushup difficulty affects this, but still.

1-arm DB Row: 5 sets of 6x45, each arm.

Inverted Row: 4x7

Thought the Warrior's Bear Complex challenge looked like fun, so decided to try it out. The plan was to start with the bar and increase by five pounds for each set, but I only did one set at 45 and two at 50 pounds. My arms and shoulders were already torched from my usual training, though, so I'd like to give these another try sometime when I'm a bit fresher. Still, those things are no joke!

way to go getting to the gym even when you were ready to slump.  And I'm totally jealous of you're strength numbers.  Great Job.

Level 6, Ranger

Challenge I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X Current Challenge

My Sewing Blog

I was just going to enjoy your challenge from the sidelines, but your new avatar is so good I had to jump in and say: "Your avatar is so good!!"

Another Parks & Rec fan here - and I work in local government - so I get a special enjoyment watching every week.

Thanks! And that's awesome!

Mm-mm! That sounds tasty...

Awesome job! Way to get there.

Thanks! Sometimes you just gotta buckle down.

Absolutely loved that book.  I'm reading Kon-Tiki right now which is in the same vein.  Keep up the great work!

I know! It was such a page turner. And I will definitely add that one to my goodreads list.

Mmmm thanks for the inspiration, made a similar dish for dinner tonight after reading this.

way to go getting to the gym even when you were ready to slump.  And I'm totally jealous of you're strength numbers.  Great Job.

How'd it turn out? And thanks - it's definitely taken a long time to get there.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines