Direrael will grow from a gladiator into a SWANSON!

direrael

ftfy. :tongue: It's my own fault - my username is kind of gender-neutral. But thanks! Ron Swanson is irresistible!

Ha, sorry, my fault for not paying attention...  Or was I pulling a Ron Swanson on you???

rs8.gif

It was the former.

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Awesome job on the Deadlift! I hope you strutted around the gym. Good idea focusing on the one goal when you have so many fun distractions your way. Whole ass that clean eating! Good luck!

And these posts have been hilarious. All around hilarious. 

So....I didn't do so well on the whole diet thing. I don't know what it is about Albuquerque, but every time I'm there, it's like: "Ooh, frozen yogurt! Boba tea! Asian food! We don't have these so I must eat them all!"

Sigh. And, I have a business trip today, and won't be getting back till Wednesday night. That means not much opportunity for training, either. I hate going more than a few days without getting in a workout. However, I can still devote myself to getting back on track, diet-wise, this week, so I think that's what I'll focus on. We're going to a bunch of tiny little towns, so I don't think the temptations will be as present this time, hopefully.

We did do a fair bit of walking around this weekend, at least, so it's not 100% terrible. 

Also, I won't be able to post much on other people's threads (:(), so sorry for any absences. 

See you guys later this week!

Thanks! Really glad to be back.

I hadn't been able to train for a week, so it felt amazing to get back in the gym. I pretty much kept things at the same levels as last time, just to get caught back up.

Band Pullups: 4x7

Incline Pushups: 4x5

Squats: 45x5, 65x3, 75x3, 85x3, 95x3,100x5x5

Bench Press: 45x5, 55x3, 65x3, 75x3, 80x5x5

One-Arm DB Bent-Over Row: 2 sets of 7, each arm, then 3 sets of 6, each arm, at 45 pounds.

Finisher: Burpees, 5 round of 20 seconds on, 20 seconds off. Got in about 6 burpees each round, which was actually really fun. I'm going to aim to increase time and burpees in the future.

Then, 8 rounds of 20 seconds of the sledgehammer, switching off with each arm. I think this is my new favorite exercise. So awesome.

Since other people were feeding us during the trip, it got a little challenging, diet-wise. I mostly managed to do okay, but one night there were some teachers who offered us some chocolate cake, since they didn't want to eat it all themselves.

Anyway, I also am making a slight adjustment - taking a cue from Mark's Daily Apple, I started my own 21-day challenge of going primal on Wednesday, which brings me right up to Halloween. My birthday is the day after that, so it's perfect timing, and then I will go back to my standard practice of being around 90% paleo, with one or two cheat meals a week.

And, not really goal-related, but last night we started character building for d&d, which none of us except one guy has ever played before. I'm going to be the DM, so it will be...interesting. A lot to take in and remember.

tumblr_inline_mhs6l5wFqv1qz4rgp.gif

Yes, I know. We actually had healthy snacks, so that was good!

And, not really goal-related, but last night we started character building for d&d, which none of us except one guy has ever played before. I'm going to be the DM, so it will be...interesting. A lot to take in and remember.

I'm excited to see how this turns out. I've been interested in delving into some role-playing games and the local comic shop has a game night. Maybe you will be the inspiration I need to start.

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

I'm excited to see how this turns out. I've been interested in delving into some role-playing games and the local comic shop has a game night. Maybe you will be the inspiration I need to start.

Haha, don't get too excited - I still don't know what I'm doing!

We mostly did character building. We still have to get a few people finished up, and one of my friends bought a bunch of those little figurines that you can paint. So I think we'll have a painting party here soon. The nice thing about the DM's guide is that is has a few dungeons and adventures to get started, so that will help me a lot. I'm just worried that combat may be a bit much to handle at first - keeping track of who hits what and matching defenses to offenses. One guy has played a lot of D&D before, though, so it will be nice to have him if things get confusing.

So, stats for the challenge thus far:  

Weight: 148.6  Still experiencing a bit of an uptick from when my friends visited, so hopefully this week I can get to 147 or below, which will put me ahead.

Goal #1: "DISCIPLINE: The ability to repeat a boring thing over and over again."

Pretty much back on track with diet. Got an F and C respectively for the last few weeks, so the goal here is to finish up with two solid A's.

Goal #2: "TORSO. Should be thick and impenetrable".

Felt sooo good to get back in the gym. I had time to exercise while traveling, though - I'd just neglected to bring the proper clothes. Lesson learned for next time.

Yesterday and last Thursday was mostly getting caught back up, so Wednesday I'll start increasing again. Side note: by next week I should be ready to start doing full pushups. I plan to take video as proof, even if my arms shake the whole time. :D

Also haven't caught up on calculating total pounds, but last time I looked I was well on the way to 100,000. The only way I can fail this goal is by not exercising at all, pretty much.

Goal #3: "COW PROTEIN. PIG PROTEIN. CHICKEN PROTEIN. ROMANTIC LOVE. DEER PROTEIN. FISH (sport only)"

Made two new recipes last week, which gets me caught up. We have a ton of pork, so first up were the smothered pork chops, followed by ribs with homemade bbq sauce. That recipe made a TON of sauce, so we have enough now for the rest of the year and beyond. And I just love ribs, so that meal was awesome.

tumblr_lyvcpnQOyS1qey5y8.jpg

Life Goal: "INTENSITY. Give 100%. 110% is impossible. Only idiots recommend that."

Yeah....this one has kinda fallen by the wayside. I need to get back into it.

Final two weeks: let's do this!

Made two new recipes last week, which gets me caught up. We have a ton of pork, so first up were the smothered pork chops, followed by ribs with homemade bbq sauce.

fry_drooling.gif

Those look delicious... Of course it's not helping that it's twenty minutes before lunch here haha!  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

So yeah, sorry for the lack of updates! Life has been super-busy. I did a bunch of nerdy things this weekend - dressed up with friends as Batman villains for a costume party (I was Talia al Ghul) with less than two days' notice, and officially ran my first D&D game as Dungeon Master! It was pretty awesome - I love doing the voices for all the npc characters, and all my friends seem to really be playing their characters' personalities well.

Also, last week I got myself involved in getting a non-profit theatre group going in town, which is super exciting. One of my majors is in theatre, and I've wanted to do something in town for awhile, so there's a group of people who work in the city and own our old theatre/moviehouse who want to get involved, as well as the art teachers for several high schools and the director of our local public radio station. I've signed on to cast/direct/design our first production, which is going to be a radio/staged reading of A Christmas Carol in December. It's the version that Orson Welles did back in the 30's, and we're going to have people doing sound effects and hopefully broadcast it on the radio. So yeah. Good times.

For a brief recap: diet has been ok. We had a birthday party at work where I indulged in a couple cupcakes, and the during the costume party I was not as discerning as I should have been.

tumblr_mumpoamrLT1rgo7kvo1_500.gif

Yeah...some days are better than others.

Lifting has been going well - getting in all my days so far. 

I'm behind by one recipe, but I have some ideas for some Asian-inspired dishes this week, so that should get me caught up.

So much awesomeness in this post!

Of course you mentioned Batman... and I love that.

So glad you are enjoying D&D. Sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Not sure I would be good at mapping out the story, but I could do so many awesome voices. I'm sure you would be great with the voices considering the theatre major.

Congrats on the show. I'm sure that will be great! And time consuming, but it's great that you found a way to contribute your time and also fulfill some creative outlets. So smart.

Cupcakes happen. As long as you get back on track it will be fine.

Last week. One final push towards being a Swanson! You can do it!

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

First, I want to share something. About 5 months ago, I could not even do one full chest-to-ground pushup with proper form. If I did manage to squeeze one out, it would be with a lot of straining and bad form. So I made it a personal goal to work on pushups with every workout. And yesterday? Well...

And the bonus? That was the second set of five. Slow and steady, kids. It works.

Challenge recap:

OVERALL GOAL: Get down to 20% bodyfat.

Starting stats: 

Weight: 150

Hips: 37

Waist: 33.5

Neck: 15

Overall bodyfat: 28%

Ending stats:

Weight: 147 (-3)

Hips: 36.5 (-.5)

Waist: 33 (-.5)

Neck: 15 (no change)

Overall bodyfat: 27% (-1%)

Would have liked a bigger change, but hey, less is less, so I'll take it. 

Goal #1: "DISCIPLINE: The ability to repeat a boring thing over and over again."

I did pretty well the first few weeks, terrible for one, and got back on track the rest of the challenge. Still not as good as I would have liked, but this was enough to get a C. +1WIS, +1 CON. Earned a total of about $35 dollars for the fun envelope, and $20 for the charity envelope.

Goal #2: "TORSO. Should be thick and impenetrable".

Goal was to lift 100,000 lbs over the challenge. I totally smashed this, getting about 200,000 by challenge's end. A+, and +3 STR.

Goal #3: "COW PROTEIN. PIG PROTEIN. CHICKEN PROTEIN. ROMANTIC LOVE. DEER PROTEIN. FISH (sport only)"

Tried a new recipe 4 weeks, no new recipe for two. +2 WIS

Life Goal: "INTENSITY. Give 100%. 110% is impossible. Only idiots recommend that."

Yeah....totally failed this. Did it the first week and then fell off the wagon. Definitely gonna work on this for the next challenge.

Overall, made good strides toward my ultimate goal, and learned a lot about what I need to work on.

Would have liked a bigger change, but hey, less is less, so I'll take it. 

Less is less. You're moving in the right direction. Well done!

Your push-up form is Exquisite. Perfection. Great challenge! How did you like the money envelope idea? Are you going to use that idea again?

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines