Hi Mikhail!

I'm a newbie too, and have goals similar to yours. I'd like to drop 10lbs, do the BBWW 3x/week and start following paleo 90%. I'm also interested in getting into barefoot running, but need to start with walking first.

A little more about me: I'm 43, mother of 3, working full-time. Finding TIME is one of my biggest challenges, as is eating well (and getting my family on-board as much as possible). I am an avid exercise-avoider, so that is a struggle for me as well.

If you are looking for a buddy, I'd be happy to be your cheerleader!

• Like 1

Level 2 Adventurer

Battlelog

STR: 3, DEX: 2, STA: 1, CON: 2, WIS: 3, CHA: 3

"Self-discipline is simply remembering what it is you really want"

I love how focused your goals are!  I'm working on maintaining my healthy habits - mind if I tag along with you as you get yours established?

• Like 1

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet

I'd appreciate the help in the quest, Junimoon & Idealistinfire!  Particularly since it seems we are sharing some similar goals, and I know I'll need to rely on someones experience.

I spent a lot of time reading the different free resources in the main Nerd Fitness site long before I decided to give the challenge a try, so it helped me to understand that we should be making small specific goals that lead to the accomplishment of the overall quest.  I chose the Angry Bird's workout specifically because I also have a full time job and it's not always easy to be motivated at one time every day.  However, with the help of the website and any buddies I gain on this quest, I'm quite certain I can steel my resolve a some point every day.

As I noted, I work full time.  I am married with a son, and a daughter on the way.  :tears_of_joy: I've been successful in fitness before when I was in the Army, but civilian life has it's pitfalls that I've never been able to overcome for more than a year at a stretch.  I'm not so much an exercise avoider as I am someone who enjoys everything else so much more.  I am. however, extremely competitive.  I hope to be fit enough in about 3 months to give cross fit a try, maybe even just for 6 weeks.

Mikhail Piluskin, Level Zero!!!

"Lesson number 1, sometimes to gain ground you need to slow down." Zeddicus Zul Zorander

Competitive hmmm?  Would you be interested in a little friendly competition based on your current goals?  Here is my thought and feel free to say no or to change it:

• The challenge is who can reach their goals the most consistently for the length of the 6 week challenge
  • Each Monday, we grade ourselves on a) reaching the goal and B) how well we reached it.  For example, if your goal is to workout 3x a week, then you grade yourself on a) did you work out all three times and B) how much effort did you put into your workouts.
  • Whoever has the lowest grade has to, I dunno, post an embarrassing story or picture or post something in favor of a despised sports team or political team without any snide remarks.

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

My first challenge is starting off well!  I've done all of the Angry Bird's workout for today and it was a smashing success!  Granted, it was just level 1 but I killed it.  This afternoon I'll try to get the whole family to join for a walk, but I'll go with or without them.

I tried posting the excel document and pasting the table, neither worked.  When I can, I'll change it to a google document and upload a link.

"Lesson number 1, sometimes to gain ground you need to slow down." Zeddicus Zul Zorander

Sweet!  You're on!  While I wish you all the best in your workouts and reaching your goals, I hope to hear many an embarrassing stories from you :P

Related to that - what would you prefer to do if we both ace our goals for the week?  Do we get a pass or do we have to each share a story/etc...?  I'm up for either option, but kind of like the pass version better

BTW, I started a PvP thread for us here :)

Related to that - what would you prefer to do if we both ace our goals for the week?  Do we get a pass or do we have to each share a story/etc...?  I'm up for either option, but kind of like the pass version better

I was thinking that we could roll the reward to the next week.  I think this will have the added benefit of raising the stakes, which in turn will help with the usual week 3-4 apathy.  Additionally, if one of us falters we still get the same number of stories.  :pirate:

Oh, you are evil  I like it :)

I did my 15 minutes of barefoot walking last night.  It probably wasn't the best time to start, it had rained most of the day, but I'm not going to go in the hole so early in the week.  It was interesting walking barefoot, particularly with so many different textures under my feet.  I haven't felt the world under me like that in many years!  Also, it is shocking how sore the joints in my foot are after just 15 minutes of walking.  To me, it's an indication of how much benefit I'll get out of the barefoot walking.

My diet for the first day was pretty good.  Lunch consisted of freshly steamed green beans, almonds, and a protein shake.  Dinner was a chili my wife made, whom does not follow paleo but tries to accommodate me, that had some kidney beans and pinto beans in it.  I picked around as many as I could, but in the end I couldn't get them all without missing the majority of my meal.

Then, just for some extra credit on the physical activity, I went for a 30 minute walk this morning.  This one had shoes, so I'll have at least one more walk today.  I wish that I could do more body weight exercised today.  I'm only lightly sore, but I know I should let myself have a full recovery before attempting to move on to level 2 of the Angry Bird's exercise.

Don't you just love wanting to do another workout before your body is ready?  I always feel a little healthier/macho when that happens.  Have fun walking barefoot!  I love doing so, well, except in my streets - there is a lot of glass in them.

We've had too much rain here lately!  It's definitely derailing my barefoot walking goal.  So far I've only managed to get 1 day in.  If I can manage to walk the rest of the week I can still finish with a 72% completion rate.  I'll just have to get creative.

Workouts have been going well.  In level 2 I hit some workouts I wasn't able to complete at a 3 star level.  The inverted rows in particular were very difficult, but I think trying to do them under my kitchen table made things harder on my hands.  I plan on going to the gym tomorrow solely to use the smith rack to complete that exercise.

Following Paleo for me has been easier than I expected.  I really don't miss grains, dairy, or legumes.  My largest struggle comes from my wife (who is supposed to be on a low carb diet) because she cooks things with legumes and potatoes in them.  Yesterday, we had beef stew with tons of potatoes, but I managed to keep from serving myself any.  To make lunches at work easier, I've made 2.5 lbs of ground beef w/ onion and red bell pepper.  I'll use them for dishes that I can take with me in a rush.  Today, a frittata with the ground beef mixture, adobo chile sauce, and broccoli.

Maybe just walk for 5 minutes 3x daily, even in the rain to build up your cold tolerance.  I can't avoid rain here in the Pac. NW - I'd never go outside otherwise!  And once you're use to it, walking in the rain is fun in it's own way - no one out there with you, it feels like you own the world sometimes.  Unless you're in the flood zone of CO, in which case, you get a pass I should think.

Hi Mikhail,

Congrats on the barefoot walking! Do you walk during the day when there is light, or in the evenings? I've been thinking of ditching my shoes for my nightly walk with the dogs, but I'm worried about not being able to see clearly enough to avoid small objects. I don't think there are any real hazards, like glass, etc., but there are lots of acorns, small rocks, stuff like that.....what do you think?

Sounds like you are also doing a good job sticking to paleo. You might want to remind your darling wife that potatoes are NOT low carb, and actually have a higher glycemic index than table sugar. Has she tried substituting turnips? They have a bit of a different flavor, more earthy like beets, but the texture is pretty similar especially when cooked. AND they are paleo! Just a thought....

Keep up the good work!

Level 2 Adventurer

Battlelog

Do you walk during the day when there is light, or in the evenings? I've been thinking of ditching my shoes for my nightly walk with the dogs, but I'm worried about not being able to see clearly enough to avoid small objects. I don't think there are any real hazards, like glass, etc., but there are lots of acorns, small rocks, stuff like that.....what do you think?

The only walk I've managed was at night.  It wasn't bad, I was probably more tentative with each footstep than I would have been in the daylight.  It was still pretty easy to avoid the small hazards in the dark, though I didn't have my dog with me so I was fully focused on the path.  I typically like walking when it's light out or early in the morning.

You might want to remind your darling wife that potatoes are NOT low carb, and actually have a higher glycemic index than table sugar. Has she tried substituting turnips? They have a bit of a different flavor, more earthy like beets, but the texture is pretty similar especially when cooked. AND they are paleo! Just a thought....

She's aware that they are not low carb, but for some reason (pregnancy?) has resigned herself to a poorer diet.  I'm trying to be the example in the household, it's one of my motivating forces.  We've only ever eaten turnips once, and it was a flop.  I may secretly try it though.  I'll offer to make the stew and just substitute them myself.  :pirate:

Maybe just walk for 5 minutes 3x daily, even in the rain to build up your cold tolerance.  I can't avoid rain here in the Pac. NW - I'd never go outside otherwise!  And once you're use to it, walking in the rain is fun in it's own way - no one out there with you, it feels like you own the world sometimes.  Unless you're in the flood zone of CO, in which case, you get a pass I should think.

I'm in the wastes of Mordor (San Antonio), so we don't get a lot of rain.  When we do, it's typically torrential.  I'll remember your suggestion the next time the problem arises though.  Thanks!

The only walk I've managed was at night.  It wasn't bad, I was probably more tentative with each footstep than I would have been in the daylight.  It was still pretty easy to avoid the small hazards in the dark, though I didn't have my dog with me so I was fully focused on the path.  I typically like walking when it's light out or early in the morning.

She's aware that they are not low carb, but for some reason (pregnancy?) has resigned herself to a poorer diet.  I'm trying to be the example in the household, it's one of my motivating forces.  We've only ever eaten turnips once, and it was a flop.  I may secretly try it though.  I'll offer to make the stew and just substitute them myself.  :pirate:

Yeah, turnips on their own are not my favorite. But in a soup or stew the taste is mellowed, and they have the same consistency as potatoes. I didn't realize your wife was pregnant - in that case I would just let her eat what she wants and stay out of her way! Messing with pregnant ladies rarely works out well. :friendly_wink:

Level 2 Adventurer

Battlelog

Heyla, how's it going over there?  Do I owe you a story yet?

• Like 1

How's it going? I'm doing pretty well with the paleo thing, but the exercising is still a thorn in my side. I've been doing the BBWW - it kicks my butt every time, which I guess is good. Still don't look forward to it....

• Like 1

Level 2 Adventurer

Battlelog

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines