• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

alienjenn

alienjenn nerdiversary - becoming Macguyver

503 posts in this topic

I have had this challenge marked out since the beginning of the year… (I also have my next four challenges pretty much mapped out already because I am a hyper planner!) I planned to become Mcgyver this challenge because he is the epitome of self sufficiency… I would love to feel as confident in myself as Angus… I would love to be as awesome as Angus… he never worries what his next step is… he never wonders where to get supplies… he never worries… he can figure anything out and he is prepared for everything!!

so this is my Nerdiversary… 15 Oct 2012 I joined nerdfitness… in that time I have learned so much and accomplished oh so very much… I am super impressed… I have been making giant leaps… my small changes have started to steamroll… this is copied from the last challenge wrap up thread... all this awesome happened last challenge

my first push up...

my first deadlift...

my first back squat... 

massive Pr's throughout the 6 weeks... 

I had my first 200 mile month (july)... I found a new trail that I love :D

I tried to die by bee TWICE this challenge (a single sting at the beginning and then 23 stings on the priest in the middle)

I ran for eight minutes straight... TWICE

I ran for thirteen minutes straight...  

I way bested my time on Old Rag... 

I don’t like not caring about my goals… that happened last challenge… I don’t know if it had anything to do with the insane  bee stings and massive doses of benadryl (which a toxic reaction can cause cns depression and other symptoms (irritability etc)… which could have contributed to the blahs… but I should have all that out of my system… ( and I am no longer having the muscle fasciculations and other toxicity symptoms… so I am guessing that the mood effects should clear up soon… )

I just have been... meh... not really super depressed... but... "this could turn into depression if I don't do something about it" I didn’t do very well on my last challenge (well I had a C+... and I did lots of awesome things… but I kinda gave up in the third week on a couple goals because I just didn’t care… I think the grading was frustrating me)

Nerdiversary vacation challenge, no structured goals, no grades, no have tos, except do what makes me feel good as long as I keep moving and eating well

no grades... no pressure... Macgyver is pressured by nothing

so here they are... the ungoals :)

other things that need to be worked on

• budgeting

• monthly

• long term savings

• Saving for trip to Arkansas

• Saving for RAS special quincenera trip next summer

• Investigate Saving for move - how to clean up credit

• cleaning

• Figure out gym situation

• appalachian trail planning

2 people like this

oh and FYI... I am registered and paid for on the 5K front...

Shakespeare said he will run with me :)

Whoo Hooo! More awesomeness!!

And sub'd!

And I have always loved McGyver!

Yeah on a new New Quest! :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

so.... motivation and stuff...

posted originally on FB... 

Sometimes I feel like giving up, then I remember I still have a lot of people to prove wrong!

When I was 13 I was diagnosed wIth a debilitating lung disease. ... I was told i would not live twenty years and if i did i would be on continuous oxygen. ... I was told i would never have healthy children. .. I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2004... I was told i would never be off medication. .. I was told after Caitlynn that i would never carry/birth a baby without dying. .. I was told that i would never be able to get off welfare. .. I was told i would never graduate college. ...I was told i would never get healthy and that i would probably never be able to get in shape... I was told i would be in constant pain from arthritis and need narcotics for the rest of my life.... I was told i was told i was told i was told

I guess the best way to get something done is to tell me I'll never be able to do it

I am going to be the first person with my lung disease to live to 100 without a lung transplant... I am going to be a healthy influence for my children.... I am going to achieve greatness and inspire others to even more awesomeness... I am going to live a life free of medication and pain and oxygen... I am going to become epic

tapatalk_1372585927377.jpeg

tapatalk_1372585889739.jpeg

my one goal this challenge:536850_10200851940395706_134486901_n.jpg

ok... I have two goals this challenge: .facebook_-1225292062.jpg

My inspiration:Zombie is 13 (top), RAS will be 15 in Nov (bottom left) and Shakespeare is 16.5 (bottom right) and Me (middle)1044382_10200479674849300_253735174_n.jp

me at Old Rag: one day this will be easy for me - I have a friend who can do this 2 times in a week and has no problem and it doesn't make him out of breath.... one day... 1275668_10201201594696870_351612137_o.jp

.facebook_-84488390.jpg

.facebook_253442137.jpg

.facebook_2040972250.jpg.facebook_1494659126.jpg560136_335219079933854_1326500649_n.jpg.facebook_1873740740.jpg

1 person likes this

AND Following!

awesome :)

YAY!!!!! :D :D

I know right??

Whoo Hooo! More awesomeness!!

And sub'd!

And I have always loved McGyver!

Yeah on a new New Quest! :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

isn't RDA the cutest :)

"I just have been... meh... not really super depressed... but... "this could turn into depression if I don't do something about it" " - you and me both!  So awesome you can recognize where you are at AND trying something to change it.  That's so encouraging, as is your list of accomplishments.  Love the motivational statements and the ungoals!  Excited to see your progress this time around :)

Hey AJ!! Great self-awareness to start of this challenge. I know so well that "I'm not depressed now, but I can feel the depression looking over my shoulder" feeling, and the best thing to do is get busy, keep moving, call friends, make plans, and otherwise leave no room for that monster to crawl into your life and get a toehold. Okay, that was a horrible metaphor mash-up, but you know what I mean. In other words, this is an excellent time to start a new challenge!

I'll be joining you and the other Rangers shortly, just need to get my goals oriented. In the meantime, subbing!

Wow, jenn. Simply wow.

That is so inspiring, I am so proud of you!!! ^_^  :love_heart:

Your progress is so ridiculously awesome.

And I love how you have your goals and sight set for the long run, doing things right, forming habits slowly over time.

Clearly, it works :)

(From my phone!)

Well, you just inspired the hell outta me! You are fabulous, and awesome, and I am so following this to watch you smash your ungoals. 

Inspiring progress!  And I love the term nerdiversary.  My husband is trying to ban me from using ___-iversary (e.g., runniversary, workiversary...), but I can't stop myself.

"I just have been... meh... not really super depressed... but... "this could turn into depression if I don't do something about it" " - you and me both!  So awesome you can recognize where you are at AND trying something to change it.  That's so encouraging, as is your list of accomplishments.  Love the motivational statements and the ungoals!  Excited to see your progress this time around :)

I don't have the budget (either monitarily or timewise) for therapy... so I have been doing a LOT of introspection.... a LOT of "why do I feel this way"...  I have dealt with depression (both suicidal and just bleh) since I was 12 or so... (chronic health issues with an unstable childhood and then an abusive marriage will do that to you!!) so the last few years I have really taken an aggressive stance towards my mental health... and it has kept me from feeling suicidal (well except for when I took lyrica for my neuropathic pain from my broken foot last fall... psychotic depression is a side effect... but I got off it and those feelings left within a month so I was ok)

My father committed suicide when I was 7... his mom when he was little (she was 9 months pregnant with my uncle) and her father before her... I figured out a long time ago that I had to take care of me if I didn't want to follow in their steps!!

Hey AJ!! Great self-awareness to start of this challenge. I know so well that "I'm not depressed now, but I can feel the depression looking over my shoulder" feeling, and the best thing to do is get busy, keep moving, call friends, make plans, and otherwise leave no room for that monster to crawl into your life and get a toehold. Okay, that was a horrible metaphor mash-up, but you know what I mean. In other words, this is an excellent time to start a new challenge!

I'll be joining you and the other Rangers shortly, just need to get my goals oriented. In the meantime, subbing!

Great to see ya!! I didn't see an update on the Japan trip... am I making a pillow???

yeah... I tend to treat the depression like any other demon... it has no hold over me... Christ gave me the power over them and I need to assert it!!!

Wow, jenn. Simply wow.

That is so inspiring, I am so proud of you!!! ^_^  :love_heart:

Ash that means a lot coming from someone as awesome as you :P

Your progress is so ridiculously awesome. And I love how you have your goals and sight set for the long run, doing things right, forming habits slowly over time. Clearly, it works :) (From my phone!)

Spezzy :D (total fangurling here :P)

I have been working towards that level 50 :)

I WILL get there... and it's my goal to take as many people with me as I can!!!

Well, you just inspired the hell outta me! You are fabulous, and awesome, and I am so following this to watch you smash your ungoals. 

Inspiring progress!  And I love the term nerdiversary.  My husband is trying to ban me from using ___-iversary (e.g., runniversary, workiversary...), but I can't stop myself.

there is no problem with -iversary... so your husband is wrong ;)

Love the ungoals of your challenge! No pressure, just awesome!!!

LOD... this is going to be an awesome unchallenge :P

this was my fb status earlier

It's amazing how my definition of "total junk food" has changed this year. ... stopped at Wal-Mart for prednisone and food. ... walked out thinking I had total junk food. ... a rotisserie chicken. .. chef salad. .. banana. .. nectarine... two hard boiled eggs. ... potato wedges. ... a lindt chocolate bar to share. ... a caramel apple. .. and jolly rancher candy. ... 

That's total junk food

Hello my name is Jenn and I'm a food snob

Holy canolli!

A) You'e got some epic goals and I'm looking forward to this challenge thread!

B)  You are inspiring others already cause I'm one of them.

C)  Ol Rag looks like an awesome hike/climb

D)  Learn how to tie a logger's hitch.  That knot is a really valuable one in my experience.  As is a half hitch and clove hitch.

Oh and Sub'd!

Holy canolli!

A) You'e got some epic goals and I'm looking forward to this challenge thread!

B)  You are inspiring others already cause I'm one of them.

C)  Ol Rag looks like an awesome hike/climb

D)  Learn how to tie a logger's hitch.  That knot is a really valuable one in my experience.  As is a half hitch and clove hitch.

Oh and Sub'd!

a) awesome B) cool c) I have a blog post with more pics. ... the link is in my last thread. ... alienjenn.wordprwaa.com d) I only listed knots I don't know :) I know half hitch and use it frequently (besides square it's my most frequent! )... what's a loggers hitch for? The ones I listed are ones that are recommended for the type of camping I do

Sent with tapatalk... if this post seems brief or full of misspelled words it's because my phone and autocorrect are actively plotting against me

I use a loggers hitch all the time in tying down loads on trailers, in moving vans, etc.  You can use it for other stuff too, but experiment with it before you use it too hold any serious load so you get a feel for where the knot will start to slip, etc.  It'll hold its own, but does have slipping points.  It's a quick and fast knot :)

pymeju3u.jpg

so.... I didn't really change my max (last time I averaged at 17:10 so I did a little worse... but not bad... and my last max was 11:55... so I didn't do great here...) but I THINK the reason is because the walk/run drills weren't walk/run this week... they were slow walk/fast walk.... 

BUT!!! I did the greenway TWICE... in 63 minutes... when I first broke my foot it took me 56 minutes to do it once... so I only have to shave 7 more minutes off my time to do it twice in the time it took me to do it once :D

that excites me

uhuqu7ej.jpg

my new jogging tank that I got a while ago but I have been too self conscious to wear it... it's very snug... but I wore it today... look at those biceps... I wasn't even pumping them... I was just throwing a peace sign :)

this is my bib for the Doctor Who 50th anniversary run walk... when I get my medal I will post a pic!

epesevaq.jpg

post run noms... I ate a whole rotisserie chicken... and a greek yogurt :) I will have some veggies laters :D

I use a loggers hitch all the time in tying down loads on trailers, in moving vans, etc.  You can use it for other stuff too, but experiment with it before you use it too hold any serious load so you get a feel for where the knot will start to slip, etc.  It'll hold its own, but does have slipping points.  It's a quick and fast knot :)

I will look into it... 

Awesome!

I know right?? I added more info... it's easier to type on my computer but easier to add photos from my phone... so sometimes I add pics and then edit it on my computer :D

You have some great "goals" there! Also, just looking at your pics has totally inspired me! Oh, and thank you for the link to the Doctor Who run! My daughter and I are totally going to look into doing that!

You have some great "goals" there! Also, just looking at your pics has totally inspired me! Oh, and thank you for the link to the Doctor Who run! My daughter and I are totally going to look into doing that!

glad you like it! 

I signed up for both the 5k and the half marathon... you can walk/run/bike/gazelle/treadmill/whatever... so I am planning to do the half on my bike sometime this week :D because 13.1 miles on my bike is nothing for an afternoon!!