Yellowjacket has to fix his Armour. (Yes, that's a Canadian Spelling)

Yellowjacket

What kind of stretching do you do? Before, after?

I've been following this guy's youtube channel and watching a lot of his videos for ideas on how to improve flexibility and form.

For ideas on stimulating muscle hypertrophy without loading up tonnes of weight, look up TORQ and x-reps by Holeman / Lawson at Ironman.  These really short rest intervals definitely make light weight feel much heavier!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-6W2B7vS28

Yellowjacket, glad to see you're doing this challenge too. From what I just read you appear to be killing it in the gym and the kitchen. How is the thesis and research paper going? And I have to say I'm a bit enveous that Spezzy commented on your thread. I considered joining the warrior guild but endurance sports has always been my forte so I chose Rangers which just seemed to fit.

Keep up the good work!

Arm workout.  Yesterday was just over 3,100 kcal.  I'm still losing fat and I actually felt hungry last night.  

Dumbbell Concentration curls.

20lbs x 30

45 sec rest

45 second rest

Incline dumbbell curls.

30lbs x 8

Barbell Curls.

50lbs x 12

30sec rest

57.5 lbs x 10

30 second rest

65lbs x 8 reps

30 second rest

70lbs x 6 reps

Shoulder / neck stretches

Triceps.

Cable pushdowns

20lbs  (Home gym so resistance is different from weight stacks at a gym.  Weight stacks would be approx 40lbs)

x 40 resp

45 sec rest

30lbs x 20 reps

45 second rest

30lbs x 17 reps

DB overhead extension.

25lbs x 17 reps.  (Can't go heavy on this)

Close grip bench press.

70lbs x 12 reps

30 sec break

90lbs x 10 reps

30 second break

95lbs x 8 reps

30 second break

100lbs x 6 reps.

Ab double set (V ups and crunhces)

30 second rest

(cross knee crunches, reverse crunches)

30 second rest

Lying leg raises, bicycles.

Post workout shakes.

On the menu so far today was Oats & Eggs breakfast

Tuna / Avocado / Refried beans with a field green mix.

2 scoops Muscletech Whey Protein Plus and 4 scoops of cocoa powder.

Yellowjacket, glad to see you're doing this challenge too. From what I just read you appear to be killing it in the gym and the kitchen. How is the thesis and research paper going? And I have to say I'm a bit enveous that Spezzy commented on your thread. I considered joining the warrior guild but endurance sports has always been my forte so I chose Rangers which just seemed to fit.

Keep up the good work!

Don't be envious, it's her JOB to comment on these threads.  As I understand, she's part of Steve's team and she helps out with his business.

Gosh, the thesis and research paper is terrible, mostly because I am currently in a traffic jam right now with stupid details to work out.

OK, here's the lowdown.

Problem #1.  I agreed to a gig back in April to play cello at a CD Release Party that was being filmed for a documentary.  The mic on the cello picked up more stage volume than it picked up cello which meant 1) the playing sounded horrible 2) the tracks are unusable.  I retracked 3 tunes already in the studio and now I have to retrack a fourth tune that was an encore.  My part was entirely improvised so I went and transcribed  (Wrote down) the entire thing today so I can learn it.  It's 3 pages long and the solo is MUCH harder than anything I actually arranged for this project.  (I was obviously thinking that I wouldn't have to learn, rehearse, and perform this again while I was playing it.)   So next week, I have a day snarled up with studio work and this probably will take a bit longer than the other stuff.

Problem #2.  I was in the studio yesterday recording Cello for an arrangement I'm doing for my friend / webmaster for his CD he's working on.  It is a music compilation of arrangements based on a soundtrack he scored for a game on the Ouya console.  The game is called Monocle man.  I have to composite the audio from seven takes, mix down the individual parts, and send them off for mixing / mastering.

Problem #3.  I have to get all my school stuff sorted out.  Confirmation of enrollment for loans, opt in for Health / Dental coverage for my family, Book Players for my DMA Composition Recital*,  Fill out forms for my TA position, Pay tuition  (They sent my funding to me via snail mail instead of putting it directly on my financial account).  This probably isn't everything...

Problem #4*.  Getting music scores finalized and music pieces ready for my recital.  I have a huge 25minute work booked already with some star performers, but I need to get everything else nailed down.  I have a song cycle that needs words and one more song to complete it, A good 5 minutes of a string quartet I am happy with that I should probably finish, a multipercussion piece that requires elite players to play, and a Trumpet and Piano piece that is almost done except for some cosmetic details.  **breathes**  I have to send the score for the multi-percussion piece via snail mail tonight.  Hopefully we can get-er done.

Problem #5.  My wife got this crazy idea at 7 months pregnant to apply for two of the biggest craft shows in Canada and she got into both.  Now we have a 3 1/2 year old, a 2 month old, and we're frantically crafting 2 - 3 hours each night!  It's cool but busy.

Problem #6.  I'm starting my own business as a private music instructor and we're almost full in a city about 45 minutes away from here so we get to commute out there once a week for a day of teaching.    

Problem #7.  This isn't a problem at all, but I have a young family and I do like to see them occasionally  =-(  

Geez.  I mean this is awesome and all and I'm glad things are going well, I just need to clear my plate here.

Having things to do will keep you out of trouble.  

My wife once bought 10 bushels of apple "drops" to make applesauce with...then got sick.  I spent most of a week staying up til 1-2 in the morning trying to keep ahead of the rotting apples.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

60g Mozarella Cheese  (I love cheese), 1 TBSP Peanut Butter, 1 TBSP Almond Butter!  But yes, dried beef and Mange would have been AMAZING!

Leg day on a time crunch. 

Stretching 5 min

Overhead Squats x 10 reps

Barbell Back Squat

70lbs x 10

BBS

120lbs x 10 reps

BBS

170lbs x 10 reps.  (I noticed my old form habits creeping in here.

200lbs x 10 reps  (HURTS in a good way)

EWWWW.   Most pathetic refeed ever yesterday. Barely hit my 2,800 target =-( 
Had a good TORQ style shoulder workout today.  I'm teaching so I'll post details later. 
I've been eating sunflower seeds all day so far.  Lame! 

Report back later!!

None of this last gig has been released yet.  They're still working on it.
Here are some things you can check out though.

Films (I wrote music for these animated shorts)

The first one is called Scrap Metal and it is set in post apocalyptic New York.
http://vimeo.com/23246965

The second is called Night Light and you may have seen it already.
http://vimeo.com/41219207

Ragen

http://vimeo.com/sprogis/ragen

Ballin'
http://vimeo.com/64788018

Why scales suck!!! 

So I've been near a scale the last four days and I've been weighing myself periodically just to see what is going on.  Caveat: This is probably partially due to my aggressive carb cycling, but my weight is going up and down like a YOYO!

Fri Afternoon:  258lbs

Sat morning: 255.6lbs  (Refeed Sat)

Sat evening 257lbs

Sun morning: 255.8lbs

Sat afternoon: 259lbs

Mon Morning: 255.8lbs

Mon Afternoon: 255.2lbs. 

I'll weigh myself after I eat this plate of chili and I bet I'll be a pound heavier! 

Oh yes, Chili:

Brown 2 lbs of grass fed free range unmedicated lean ground beef!

Chop up 1 large or 2 medium onions.

Chop up 6 organic tomatos

Mince 6 cloves of garlic.

1TBSP Cumin

(A hot pepper or several, optional)

Cook together / reduce until tomatoes become saucy. 
Add 2 - 3 cups of black beans.

Cook 5 min.

Serve!! 

Why scales suck!!! 

Got that right.

The scale is a dangerous tool that must be used properly....just like a chainsaw....lol

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chest workout.

25lb dumbbell flyes.
30 reps

45 second rest

20 reps

45 second rest

15 reps

Bench Press

140lbs x 12 reps

30 seconds rest

145lbs x 8 reps

30 seconds rest.

140lbs x 7 reps

30 seconds rest

120lbs x 6 reps.

Incline DB press.

3 pin

40lbs x 10 reps

30 seconds rest

2 pin

40lbs x 10 reps

30 seconds rest

1 pin

40lbs x 10 reps

30 seconds rest.

supine

40lbs x 10 reps

30 seconds rest.

DB flye weight needs to go up.  Also, incline DB press should go up.

The bench press HUUURRTTT!!!!!  

Workout took a total of about 15minutes.  

When I do strength training I can lift so much more weight but this just HURTS!  I'm totally outgrowing ego lifting!!

Well Scrap Metal was surprisingly touching and sad - I like the xylophone type effect you used when the bot's caressing the bolt. I really liked Night Light too, good stuff.  Haven't had a chance to watch the others yet.

I know what you mean about the scale - I've kinda been obsessing over mine too.  Aggravation.

Human Warrior

Non nobis, Domine. Sed nomine tuo da gloriam.

Warrior: Battle Log | Old Battle Log | #1, #2, #3, #4

First Warrior/Ranger Battle Log

Cort, your best bet is to graph your weight / measurements out and observe trends over time.  For me, I get particularly huge fluctuations in weight / measurements because of carb cycling.  I just find that cycling carbs is such an effective technique that I deal with the 'problems' associated with it.  

The bench press HUUURRTTT!!!!!  

Like injury hurt?

Or holy shit...the burn hurt? (As in, good)

Sculptor - Warrior

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like injury hurt?

Or holy shit...the burn hurt? (As in, good)

LITTLE b1tch sissy BURN HURT!!!  Thank goodness I am injury free for over a year now!!  

Blue shirt comparison photos.  I happened to have a pic of myself with this shirt while at my fattest and most out of shape so it provides a great reference point.  I still have a lot of bodyfat to lose but the results are quite dramatic.

BlueShirtComparison_zps7d8f5d9c.jpg

Notice how on the latest photo, my weight is pretty much equal with the fat photo but the shape is very different.  You can see how tight the shirt fits across the shoulders and you can see how much bigger my arms are than in the 231.5lbs photo.  The middle photo has me with my waist 2 inches smaller than the current one but you can see how much muscle is wasted dieting at c.a. < 2,000kcal / 160g of protein per day with circuit training / running.  

The picture on the far left is c.a. 2,800 kcal a day / 200+g of protein per day with just resistance training.  Of course, in the middle photo I had been dieting longer so I had more time to drop off bodyfat.  I am very excited to do my next photo when my waist hits 38inches.  Going to be waiting a bit for this but it will be well worth it. 

Without reading what you wrote below and just looking at the photos......my knee jerk reactions were:

- serious chest development....especially upper chest.

- noticeable increase in shoulder size

- sleeves a little tighter (arm size)

Great work!

Sculptor - Warrior

Rawr!  Somehow you look taller to me.  Rawr!  Super nice work!  YAY YAY!

And yes, scale sucks.  Mine is like +/- 3lb between morning and evening.

Good luck and have fun with Week 2!    Mmmm chilli!  Wonder if ground turkey would work just as well (without the beans of course)...  Rawr!

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines