IdealistinFire Escapes the Cave, part 3

idealistinfire

isn't it amazing?? 

yes,yes it is :)  After my healthy practices this evening, I feel tons better than if I had bought fast-food as I originally thought.

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet

yes,yes it is :)  After my healthy practices this evening, I feel tons better than if I had bought fast-food as I originally thought.

it snowballs :)

and the better feeling is exponential not multiplicitive ;)

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

So true :)

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

I was explaining the difference between exponential and multiplicitive growth to my youngest a couple of months ago....

his reply "mom if I didn't know you better I would think you were talking about magic!"

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I was explaining the difference between exponential and multiplicitive growth to my youngest a couple of months ago....

his reply "mom if I didn't know you better I would think you were talking about magic!"

That's cute :) I hope you replied with something like "well, just because we know how it works doesn't mean it's not magic anyway!"  Even magic has it's rules, right? ;)

Also, ouch.  I still hurt and feel quite drained.  All the stars were aligned this morning (aka, I slept well, the sun is out, etc...) and it still took turning on my theme song and Bree the Dog's sad eyes to get me out the door for my morning walk.  And I managed to eat a leftover pizza slice before I remembered I am out of allowable items, so that's 5 of 4.  Dang!  Must remember to think before eating! 

Still, I'm thinking I may need to focus more on what I'm eating.  I really did not want to make a major food goal this time around since, well motivation has been lacking in the past and I try not to be insane when I can help it.  But feeling this wiped is not fun.  So besides making sure I'm getting enough hydration, what would y'all recommend as a good next step for modifying my food so I have enough energy for my strength training and recovery

As an example, yesterday's food consumption included: sausage/mushroom omelet, 3/4 of a nectarine, coffee with creamer, a pint of water in the morning, an iced vanilla americano, a handful of pistachio nuts, a Starbucks carmalized apple cake, chicken breast/black bean/rice/salsa concoction, 2 pints afternoon water, 1/2 serving of green beans/chicken/spaghetti sauce, serving of homemade brownie, 2 glasses evening water and a lot of herbal tea at the spa.  That's pretty standard for me, except water is not normally that high, I typically eat double for dinner and often breakfast is yogurt w/granola and jam, or less commonly egg sandwich or muffin and milk.

Escape the Cave Update

After passing the half-way point temple and collecting your loot, you continue on your journey with more energy and sense of a new beginning.  You have finally realized that you are in this cave not by chance, but because The Saboteur dragged you hear while you were sleeping.  Knowing an Enemy lurks and having identified his most common attacks, you and Bree the Dog stockpile your weapons, plan your counter-attacks and continue onward and outward.  After much walking, you stumble (quite literally - it's dark and you're tired) into an open cave full of many pitfalls, large boulders in your path and really, just a ton of obstacles that takes all your strength (some that you didn't know you had!) just to get through it.  But push through it you do, and you have just a smidgen on energy leftover to do a happy dance with Bree the Dog while the voices in your heads sing you praise.  But then you collapse on the floor in an awkward position because, well, that was a lot of walking with a lot of strength needed at the end of it and maybe you forgot to eat enough food following your workout (silly you!).  Upon waking, you hobble down the path with Bree the Dog running circles around you until you, thankfully, find a series of hot springs in your path.  With glee you submerge yourself into hot water and take the time to practice the art of Being Still.  After a few hours of warmth, relaxation and the releasing of toxins, both physical and emotional, you pull yourself out and walk on, passing a sign that states "188.57 miles of 300 completed" on your way out.  The sound of your song carries through the cave and pisses off the Saboteur, not that you care.

All that to say, a few hours at a day spa (love my bf who gave me that gift certificate!) has me back to feeling like a human flying through the wind instead of drudge tripping over my own feet.  :) :) :)  Water goal and walking goal accomplished today and 4 of 4 allowable non-real-food items consumed, plus I got to work on my "it's not a goal so don't bother sabotaging it" ungoal of practicing calming techniques and connect to God as often as needed.  Alienjenn, you're right - practicing healthy, supportive activities in times of stress is way more satisfying than pigging out on junk food.  Thanks for the reminder!

Love this update.    Partly because it's full of success and awesome realizations, but more because I can see all this glowy confidence in your text.   Also, I am a total sucker for anything RP!  <3

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

I'm late... but Hooray Push-ups! And Even more Hoorays for not letting people get you down! If they don't share the same goals (or know that they should, but don't) they probably feel squeamish about supporting you. You've realized that, and given the Saboteur a rabbit punch to the kidneys! Wooo punches to the kidney!

As to your energy levels, I can't say really. Sounds like you didn't eat very much before/after the workout, so you could try to do better with that. Fuel the body, so it can recuperate. Make sure you stretch afterwards too. Really though, you may have just pushed super hard, and you're still recovering. Next time you do the workout, you'll be even better. I'm sure others will be able to give better advice. 

Awesome job so far on the challenge! And seriously, fantastic push-ups!

I loooove reading your updates, they're so positive! :)

Congrats on push-up record!

I agree, people IRL are not excited whatsoever. But I forgive them as they just don't have this 6 week challenge, the NF community, the whole awesomeness of setting up goals once in a while. Poor people, they don't know what they're missing out.

You're fantastic. Keep being such. :)

Late to this party but I wanted to say CONGRATS ON 10 PUSH-UPS :D  You have reached my personal goal, so I'm jealous and proud haha.

And I'm not sure what to tell you about your food intake... I'm unsure if even my food intake is okay!  It could be that you just pushed really hard on that workout though, so try another and see how you feel.  If the drained and lethargic feelings don't go away after another one or two workouts, maybe try adding a handful of almonds or upping your protein intake in general?  I'm not sure I'm qualified to give such advice haha. 

In any case you are doing fantastically!  Your positive energy keeps me being positive!

"The best workout is the one you do." 

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight."

"Make the difficult decision."

Thanks folks!

I loooove reading your updates, they're so positive! :)

Congrats on push-up record!

I agree, people IRL are not excited whatsoever. But I forgive them as they just don't have this 6 week challenge, the NF community, the whole awesomeness of setting up goals once in a while. Poor people, they don't know what they're missing out.

You're fantastic. Keep being such. :)

So true - if they had such a great community, they'd be excited too.  That's alright, I support them any way I can and maybe that will help :)

As to the energy levels thing and being super sore - well, last night I was feeling a bit anxious (neg. energy) and a bit impatient for my next workout (positive energy) and had this feeling that if I sat around until this morning I wouldn't want to workout, so...I did my workout last night instead!  And I got another 10 pushup!!!!! and the second set I got 7 unmodified :) :)  I chose not to do the 3rd round of BBW since I was feeling shaky and my shoulder was giving beginning signs of sharp pain, but I am okay with that.  I am just excited that I did the workout. 

But seriously, I do need to eat better if I am going to do these super awesome workouts on a regular basis. Water intake was good (4-5 tall glasses throughout the day), but I went to the bar to celebrate a friend's birthday and had a hard cider with tater tots for dinner (umm, yeah. about that) and the only other thing I had to eat before that was lunch of Famous Daves (a client brought it in for staff as a thank-you) and an omelet for breakfast.  Oh, and triple shot iced americano for lunch to recover from eating too much at lunch.  So unsurprisingly, my workout was tough.  I did have chorizo with potatos afterwards, but stil.

So I am trying to decide if I should modify my food goal to state I need to eat healthy foods before I eat junk food each time and get rid of the number limit. That should still limit my total junk food consumption because I tend to eat it instead of eating well and not in addition to healthy food.  Thoughts?

Feeling sick from crappy food choices - why do I do this to myself?  I truly struggle with the "eh, I broke the limit so I might as well go completely over and start over next week" syndrome.  Haven't found a good counter for that yet.

But all other goals reached - hit 4.3 miles today, drank 5 12+oz glasses of water today, tracked my workout progress and using debit card to easily track funds.  So those are going well indeed.  I'm super exhausted, a bit sore and glad tomorrow is a rest day, which is good since the bf and I have an all-day memorial for his grandfather.  I don't think I could handle trying to get the 3 miles in on top of everything else.  I hope to check other folks' threads on Monday when I have more breathing space.

I too suffer from the "I broke the limit so might as well keep going." 

Going back to your previous post where you ask what works, when to have snacks, etc... what works for me is not making it a tit-for-tat "if I eat something good now I can have that later." That teaches you to basically undo the good work or to cancel it out each time.

Instead, I went for the longer term, and looked at the week as a whole. Spreading out and separately tracking the good eating and snacks. I know that snacks and desserts will happen, but I don't tie them to good meals. I try to limit the exposure over the week- and by doing so I can keep things in moderation. They don't become "forbidden," but just a part of the balance, and I usually don't end up overindulging (though that's still known to happen).

Going back to where you ask if you should have a healthy meal first, I'd have to argue that it would depend on the dessert/snack. On one hand, it would make you more full first, and hopefully able to reduce the amount you eat. However, if you're like me, that approach may actually be worse- I'll eat the full meal, then still go all out on the dessert and get even more calories out of the slip-up. Part of eating well is the portion size, so if you're coupling that healthy meal with a calorie bomb, it may actually be contributing to the problem. On days like those, it may be counterintuitive, but maybe the "good" meal first may not be the best option. Again, this is why I decided to track meals separately from desserts and snacks.

Level 4 Woodchuck

STR 12 | DEX 9.5 | STA 8.5 | CON 8 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 9

Current challenge: UH60guy seeks his Groundhog Day

Previous challenges: 4 3 2 1

Good meal 1st is a good idea IF you dont go ahead and pig out on the unhealthy snack too.  It helps me - I'm full, so I'll try a taste of whatever it is, but I don't overdo it.  Usually.  There are always exceptions. :rolleyes:

Energy level - that's a problem I was having 2 challenges ago, so last challenge I made a goal to eat enough calories, upped my protein AND made a goal to get enough sleep.  It really did help. 

TANSTAAFL - Heinlein

Current Challenge

Level 6 Ranger. Level 1 Monk. STR 11.5, DEX 5.5, STA 11, CON 14.5, WIS 15, CHA 12.5

Challenge 1 Challenge 2 Challenge 3 Challenge 4 Challenge 5 Challenge 6

Fitbit MyFitnessPal Battle Log

Eboncat makes a good point.  I had terrible low energy last summer, to the point where I had a bunch of tests run by my doctor.  It turned out to be a simple issue:  not enough sleep.  I had thought my typical 7 hours a night was good enough, but not nearly.  I started aiming for a crazy 9 hours of sleep a night and I felt tons better.  I don't always get that much, but it's helpful to know the real number I need to aim for.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Feeling sick from crappy food choices - why do I do this to myself?  I truly struggle with the "eh, I broke the limit so I might as well go completely over and start over next week" syndrome.  Haven't found a good counter for that yet.

Maybe you should take a picture of yourself looking very forlorn after a spell of crazy-eating and give it a caption that says: "idealistinfire doesn't like feeling sick" just to help you remember how it doesn't end up being worth it.

Level 8 Undead Ranger

STR: 17.75 | DEX: 13 | STA: 16.25 | CON: 20 | WIS: 15.25 | CHA: 14

My Current Challenge | My Epic Quest List

Maybe you should take a picture of yourself looking very forlorn after a spell of crazy-eating and give it a caption that says: "idealistinfire doesn't like feeling sick" just to help you remember how it doesn't end up being worth it.

I love this idea!  I'll add in a pile of dirty dishes and the pup looking sad just to make sure the point drives home a bit better. 

I'm still debating about the food thing, although I do like UH60guy's point system.  If I go that route, I'm thinking of giving myself a half-point for each time I start to eat something unhealthy and stop before my "normal" serving size.  So if I normally drink a whole soda can, if I drink less than half a can, I get 1/2 point for practicing good moderation skills. 

On the other hand, I figured out (or re-discovered) that a lot of my eating this week was due to emotional stresses besides work (which has been bad enough).  That's frustrating, but more and more this week I've not eaten something, or eaten less than I normally do, because the thought "That won't help me strength train" encouraged me not to.  So the food thing may get better as I continue to concentrate on training, and since I apparently love strength training more than running, I'm very hopeful indeed.

And yeah, I am working on my sleep patterns because mine aren't great.  I was just confused on Thursday because I actually had the best sleep I had in a very long time and I still felt wiped.  Same thing with Friday and Saturday.

I hope you're able to find that balance- but I do want to point out that I definitely don't have all the answers as I'm still figuring this out for myself as well. While the point system has its up sides in being easy to use and looking at the big picture, it has weaknesses too. I don't capture just how good/bad specific meals are, and I also have to fight the urge to bank my points and spend them all at the end of the week, negating all my hard work. I do like your half point idea, I might have to steal that in the future :)

One thing I've done in the past that works was going the full-on tracking route. I used livestrong.com to track all my exercises and everything I ate down to the calorie. While it did work well over several months, I eventually stopped using it because it was so time consuming to remember to track everything and enter it properly. I also found that I couldn't leave well enough alone, and I would always follow my big workouts with big splurges, getting right back to where I started- hence my reluctance to tie rewards to specific meals or workouts now. 

And that's where I am now: trying to find a balance between a system that is detailed, yet one that is easy enough to use I'll do it regularly. On top of that I'm trying to disconnect reward from specific meals or workouts, as that tends to negate my progress, but still avoid the trap of doing it all at once late in the week. Maybe tying it to your loot system might be of help? I know the spur-of-the-moment slip ups are the hard ones, since we never really know when they're coming. I'm not sure if it could be tied to your loot in that case, but it might be worth a look.

Level 4 Woodchuck

STR 12 | DEX 9.5 | STA 8.5 | CON 8 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 9

Current challenge: UH60guy seeks his Groundhog Day

Previous challenges: 4 3 2 1

Hey guys, piping in here just to say I did the same thing this weekend Ideal.   Not even intentionally.   I tried to play it smart, but with hockey, chores, 5k run, late nights, peer pressure, sleeping in and skipped meals.   I just did NOT do very well either.   And... feel sick, bloated (up 5 Flash Pounds for it too) and fighting off stomach rot.     I even BOUGHT grapes to take to gaming last night, and instead ate the candy corn and gummy worms.   Sigh.   

Let's try and stand ourselves up and shake ourselves off and just get right back onto the Mukaali.    Let's aim for this week eh?  Just from today to next Monday, let's try to pinky promise each other we won't over-indulge to the point of ick.   :) 

mukaali2.jpg

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Starpuck's right, the important thing is to get right back to the good stuff. 

I'm glad you have the thought "this won't help my training" in the back of your mind.  I noticed that helping stop my splurges when I started to enjoy my workouts and get stronger too.

TANSTAAFL - Heinlein

Current Challenge

Level 6 Ranger. Level 1 Monk. STR 11.5, DEX 5.5, STA 11, CON 14.5, WIS 15, CHA 12.5

Most definitely pinky-promising to not eat to the point of "ick".  Although workouts have a been an excellent highlight for my week (and man, were they good workouts!), they were about the only thing I'm proud of this past week.  And I really don't want to sabotage my highs that way, ya know?  But as I tell my pup after she gets all worked up/does things she's not suppose to: "shake it off! Move On!"

This week I am going to try the following point system (it should still reflect my orginal goal of limiting store-bought junkfood/fast food to 4 times or less per week) and see if that helps reduced the "I missed the mark so f-it" mentality:

• Real food meal = 4 pts (i.e., jumbalaya from scratch)
  • Fast-food/junk-food meal = 1 pt  (i.e., chili from the can poured over packaged fries)
  • Recovered from spontaneous indulgence = 1/2 pt
  • Remained true to goals in the face of tempatation = 1 pt
  • Candy/junk-food/eating to point of "ick" (even if healthy foods) = 0 pts

84 points in a week is the ideal goal, which if reached = 2 loot items earned

68 points = 1 loot item earned

A better update will come later but break-time is over - I need to go finished chores before giving blood.

Week 1 Update:

Goal #1: Escape the Cave, part 3
- Workout Wednesday morning and Saturday morning Done! - A
- Walk 3 miles each non-workout day except Sunday (rest day) - Fell short one day, but averaged 3+ miles per day, so A-

Goal #2: Eat Real Foods, take 2
- Limit store-bought junk food/fast-food to 4 times per week or less - F. Redesigning this challenge for the challenge since this method backfired so terribly, but the basic idea of eating real foods and limiting junk food will stay the same.
- Drink 24oz water daily - Done!  A

Life Goal: Where is Here?

- track all expenses and create chart by end of challenge (2 months of tracking expenses is needed to see realistic spending patterns). - Work-in-Progress - A

-Track workout progress and grade success of goals each week. Done!  A

I see a LOT more a's than anything else :D

also... eating to the point of ick...

it helps me to remind myself of the pain that stuff causes... (i.e. when I look at/smell a delicious oooooey goooooey yuuuuummmmmyyyy looking/smelling "treat"... I imagine the belly pain that it would cause... and I just smell and enjoy the smell ;) LOL)

Spoiler

Yeah, that's why I like the photo of sick me so much.  My selective memory can be great at times. 

Uhg, speaking of sick me - I'm getting sick with the sore throat, sniffles, etc... Blargh. Tomorrow's workout should be fun since damnit, I want to workout tomorrow but my 10-second sprint with the puppy (squirrel chasing) left me feeling a bit dizzy this morning. 

Still, easy enough to stay of track with food since I don't crave junk food when I'm sick, except maybe ginger ale.  That's something, right?

The silver lining?  I hope you feel better soon.  I know you've got a lot going on a work and home and.. wow.  Get rest if you're tired and kick that bug out!

TANSTAAFL - Heinlein

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines