Shape-shifting 101: SkullHand’s Quest for his Ultimate Form

Hello. I'm SkullHands, and I am a shape-shifter. A noob shape-shifter... A level zero.

So far I've been able to change my appearance... but only for a short time before I shift back to my level zero form again.

Main Quest

Find my Ultimate Form! I want to be comfortable in my skin. This means that I will have lost weight, increased my fitness and be a happier and more confident person.

I'm not going to transition from my current gelatinous, blob-like form to my Ultimate Form in one morph. I have tried and failed enough to know this. But what I will do is make small manageable changes in my life that will allow me to find it. I don’t even know what my Ultimate Form looks like, but I know what I need to do to get there... change.

I've already made some changes that have got me on the path to my Ultimate Form.

I decided to get involved in the forums about a week after the last challenge started. I'm too anal to start a challenge a week in – “I MUST do the whole thing! Or else it doesn't count!†I told myself. And for a week I told myself that I would spend time planning until this challenge started.Then I realised I was just collecting more underpants! So I set myself some goals to get myself started on the road to a healthier life – rather than waiting until this challenge.

I did the following:

·         Go ‘cold turkey’ on the soda (I used to drink a lot) and chocolate/junk food (I used to eat a lot)

·         Start using my FitBit again and ensure I hit my 10,000 steps per day

·         Stopped buying my lunch and made it at home instead and started to reduce my portions in all meals

By making these small changes I have lost 7kg (15.43lbs) in 36 days. Something I am really proud of.

These are small changes. I know from past failures that I will quit if I try to change too much at any one time. So, on my quest for my Ultimate Form I'm taking it slow. Lots of little manageable changes. And you’ll see the same when you look at my missions for this challenge... they are not earth-shattering, but they are challenging and I am going to kick their ass!

Mission One: Run three times a week following the Zombies, Run! 5K Trainer.

On the first day of this challenge I will be up to W2D1. This means that by the end of the challenge I should have completed W7D3. Week eight can be my ‘victory lap’.

If I have to repeat a day as I could not complete it first time that doesn't affect my grades as my goal is running 3 times a week. A repeated day is still a running day (plus... failures are opportunities to learn and improve!)

Grading:

A: 18 runs completed

B: 14-17 runs completed

C: 10-14 runs completed

D: 7-9 runs completed

E: 4-6 runs completed

F: 3 or less runs completed

Mission Two: Do the Angry Birds Workout Plan 3 times a week.

This will be completely new to me, and is going to be a tough challenge.

In the past my attempts at losing weight and getting fitter have only involved diet changes and cardio. I am really looking forward to doing this workout plan though. I have no set level that I wish to get to for each exercise by the end of the challenge, but I will track my progression in my challenge thread for all to see.

Grading:

A: 18 workouts completed

B: 14-17 workouts completed

C: 10-14 workouts completed

D: 7-9 workouts completed

E: 4-6 workouts completed

F: 3 or less workouts completed

Mission Three: Measure myself!

I weigh myself a couple of times a week. But I know that the quick weight that I have lost with my small changes so far is going to slow down or plateau. I also know that it’s not necessarily all about the weight loss if you are building muscle mass.

As such I want to track my measurements and take progress pictures... both of these I have never done before. These will be another measure of success and motivation for me besides just relying on a number on the scale.

I really wish that I had started doing this earlier as I would have loved to see the change over the last 5 weeks or so...

I will take my pictures and measurements on each Sunday of the challenge and post them in this thread (well the measurements anyway... not sure yet about posting the pics). I’ll post my starting measurements tomorrow.

Grading:

Pass/Fail. I either do this EVERY Sunday or I don’t .

Life Quest

OK... this is a tough one. I have about a million and one things that I need to work on.

The biggie for me at the moment though is my work.

At the start of this year I began a new role at my work that involved me dealing with a lot of stakeholders throughout the business. I suffer from crippling low self esteem and am a huge introvert. I have found the role very challenging due to this and other factors.

What has been happening lately is that I have been letting all my projects slip and not working as well as I could as I have not wanted to ask for help or are too afraid (if that’s the right word) to approach the people I need to.

This needs to stop. I will get on top of my work. I will be more organised. I will take chances. I will ask for help. I will stop procrastinating. I will accept that nothing I create will ever be ‘perfect’.

I guess my Life Quest can be summed up as Work Better, Work Harder!

Grading;

This is a tough one to quantify success for. I think what I’ll do is reflect each day/week on how things have been going, what I’ve achieved and what problems I’ve had. Then I’ll grade myself on a “are things better or the same?â€, “how much better?†type of scale.

This is much longer than I intended! Good luck to everyone starting the new challenge. Look forward to sharing the journey with you all  :victorious:

SkullHands - Level 0 Shape-Shifter

[sTR 0] [DEX 0] [sTA 0] [CON 0] [WIS 0] [CHA 0]

FitBit Profile | Zombies, Run! | Epic Quest: TBC

First Challenge: Shape-shifting 101

Accountibilibuddies: The First Timers

Hi from a fellow underpants collector!

It's obvious you've really well planned out your mission goals for this challenge, well done. And much kudos for starting c25k earlier than the start of the challenge.

I wonder since you're in tracking mode already with fitbit, could you try a productivity/getting things done app to track your life goal progress?  The one I use lets me plan out everything I need to do, set deadlines, send me reminders to get my finger out etc., but it also has a notes field for each task that I intended (but never got round to) to use for recording my reflections, have i gutted it out and spoke to the big bosses like I needed to, asked for help when needed etc, etc.

good luck with it either way.

Hi from a fellow underpants collector!

It's obvious you've really well planned out your mission goals for this challenge, well done. And much kudos for starting c25k earlier than the start of the challenge.

I wonder since you're in tracking mode already with fitbit, could you try a productivity/getting things done app to track your life goal progress?  The one I use lets me plan out everything I need to do, set deadlines, send me reminders to get my finger out etc., but it also has a notes field for each task that I intended (but never got round to) to use for recording my reflections, have i gutted it out and spoke to the big bosses like I needed to, asked for help when needed etc, etc.

good luck with it either way.

Thanks for dropping by! I feel pretty well prepared (been watching from the fringes for a long time!), so I'm hoping things go well.

What app are you using? What you describes sounds pretty good. I'm a horrible procrastinator though, so I need to make sure it doesn't enable me to do so by mucking around in the app. I like that in the app you talk about you are able to make notes. I need to make sure I hold myself accountable and learn from my mistakes.

I see you're starting your first challenge too. I'll be sure to drop by your thread and offer some encouragement.

Sounds like some great goals.  You should find a lot of support here.

Level 2 Hawk Assassin

Str: 2, Dex: 1, Sta: 2, Con: 2, Wis: 4, Cha: 1

Challenges: Getting Going, 1, 2(Failed), 2.1(failed), 2.2(current)

Accountability:  The Dai-Gurren Brigade

Current Challenge Goal Progress:  Food Log(7/36), Exercise(5/24), Sleep Log(6/36), Meal Plan(1/21)

Battle Log

Fitocracy  MyFitnessPal  RunKeeper

“Believe the incredible and you can do the impossible†- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God? You are not your own; you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." - 1 Cor 6:19-20

Welcome SH! you've had a great start to your journey already and i'm thrilled for you for your weightloss thus far.

Good luck xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Howdie!  I love your goals, and hope you don't mind subscribing to your thread so I can keep up with your progress.  Oh yeah, and welcome to challenge mode!

I started the ZR 5k trainer for the last challenge.  I love it!  I am a couple weeks behind (in desired progress) due to hospitalization and other wacky stuff that happens in the whole Game of Life, but I keep jumping back on board when life tries to wash me away--that is my biggest struggle.  "Oh waah, my plans got thrown off track, guess I'll just give up and eat this bucket of ice cream!"  Not anymore, though!

Today, I redid the Intro mission (have completed w5d3 so far), and I ran the whole thing!  I have no doubt that you will be able to complete your mission each time you go out.  Walk when you must, jog slowly, and if it's just a bad day that carries over into a bad run, that's okay.  We have to let our bodies catch up to our awesome spirits every now and again, right?

Feel free to follow me on zombielink.  We can help keep each other accountable.  I'm klaymates there, too!

Crystal Gem Druid || Stat-free Level-free Goodness

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

"Do what the fuck you want to." Panic Station, Muse

Thanks for dropping by! I feel pretty well prepared (been watching from the fringes for a long time!), so I'm hoping things go well.

What app are you using? What you describes sounds pretty good. I'm a horrible procrastinator though, so I need to make sure it doesn't enable me to do so by mucking around in the app. I like that in the app you talk about you are able to make notes. I need to make sure I hold myself accountable and learn from my mistakes.

I see you're starting your first challenge too. I'll be sure to drop by your thread and offer some encouragement.

Thanks for dropping by my thread. App wise I use iqtell but there's also nirvanahq.com which does much the same and they're both free. I do the weekly review-sunday night's procrastination night! Spend some time logging everything coming up for the week and getting everything collected that you'll need for next week and review what went wrong/gets carries over from last week. It's surprising how much that focuses you for getting things done.

Another underpants collector, another who joined after the last challenge was underway. Just wanted to say, hi, and say I'm impressed. You've already come a long way!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Level 0 halfling working to become one bendy, martial-arts trained assassin. In stripy tights.

First Challenge: Laugh at Gravity, Airbender Style

Sixseasonsandamovie! Go team Venture!

love the zombie 5k trainer starting week 5 next week, it is a killer workout will be keeping an eye on you hoping you motivate me to keep up with it.

Zombies Run           Endomondo           Accountability     accoutibuddies

Age  : 38         Height : 5 '9       Weight : 220 lbs        Body Fat %:   ~27%

Race: half-elf | Class: scout 
[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

Wow; you sound a lot like me! I'm a fellow underpants collector and recovering "all or nothing"-aholic. 

I had taken up a new role several years ago at work and let myself press on but found I could not develop the thick skin I needed to deal with some of the personalities in my department. Thankfully it was a role that I could "abandon" without too much flak. However, I have begun a new adventure at work in a new department that I will need to stick with. The difference between then and now? NF and the community boards, for sure. I totally feel fired up to ask for what I need at my job because I know there will be A LOT that I don't know and will need to learn. So, good luck to you in your quest for employment calm :)

Excited to "meet" someone with a FitBit. What model do you have, what are its capabilities and how do you like it?

Congrats on all of your progress so far! I think you're going to rock this challenge! I think I will join Klaymates and stalk your thread, too!

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."-Thomas Jefferson

Current Challenge

Sounds like some great goals.  You should find a lot of support here.

Welcome SH! you've had a great start to your journey already and i'm thrilled for you for your weightloss thus far.

Good luck xx

Another underpants collector, another who joined after the last challenge was underway. Just wanted to say, hi, and say I'm impressed. You've already come a long way!

Congratulations on your progress so far. This is going to be epic. Also glad to see others with more long term main quests.

Wow. Thanks so much everyone for dropping by and saying hi. That's what makes NF so great. Everyone looking out for each other. I'm planning to be as active as I can on the boards during the challenge to repay the favour.

Skull,

First, thank you for dropping by my thread. Second, thanks for posting you grading curve in yours -- you made me remember that I need to figure that out for mine!

Good luck on you meeting your goals, my friend.

And thank you ShadowSilk for dropping by my thread :joyous:  Good luck with the grading scale for your challenge. I'm hoping that I haven't been too tough in my grading, but that's what comes from being a perfectionist... It's only gonna be straight A's for me if I nail everything.

Howdie!  I love your goals, and hope you don't mind subscribing to your thread so I can keep up with your progress.  Oh yeah, and welcome to challenge mode!

I started the ZR 5k trainer for the last challenge.  I love it!  I am a couple weeks behind (in desired progress) due to hospitalization and other wacky stuff that happens in the whole Game of Life, but I keep jumping back on board when life tries to wash me away--that is my biggest struggle.  "Oh waah, my plans got thrown off track, guess I'll just give up and eat this bucket of ice cream!"  Not anymore, though!

Today, I redid the Intro mission (have completed w5d3 so far), and I ran the whole thing!  I have no doubt that you will be able to complete your mission each time you go out.  Walk when you must, jog slowly, and if it's just a bad day that carries over into a bad run, that's okay.  We have to let our bodies catch up to our awesome spirits every now and again, right?

Feel free to follow me on zombielink.  We can help keep each other accountable.  I'm klaymates there, too!

Klaymates, thank you so much for dropping by and your message of support. Life does have a tendency to throw surprises at us huh? Oh well, makes us feel all the better when we overcome them I guess :topsy_turvy:

Funny you mention ice cream. I often say that if I could only eat one food for the rest of my life it would be ice cream (and since this is a hypothetical, I'll say that hypothetically it won't kill me to do so!). I think out of all the junk food I have cut out, it's ice cream that I miss the most. 

It's nice to meet another person that is doing the ZR 5K so will definitely searching you out on there, and tracking how you're going. How have you found the progression in the missions moving through the weeks? (besides all the wacky stuff externally!) 

Best of luck for your second challenge. I'm sure you'll nail it - I'll be dropping in to your thread to say hi and send some encouragement momentarily!

Thanks for dropping by my thread. App wise I use iqtell but there's also nirvanahq.com which does much the same and they're both free. I do the weekly review-sunday night's procrastination night! Spend some time logging everything coming up for the week and getting everything collected that you'll need for next week and review what went wrong/gets carries over from last week. It's surprising how much that focuses you for getting things done.

Awesome. Thanks for that - I will check them out and let you know what I think. I definitely need to make sure that I have some time to reflect on what did/didn't go well... otherwise I just fly through life not changing anything. And that's not what this challenge is about. No way!

love the zombie 5k trainer starting week 5 next week, it is a killer workout will be keeping an eye on you hoping you motivate me to keep up with it.

Week 5! Awesome stuff. I'll be sure to check in with you and see how you are doing. I'll add a link to my Zombielink Profile in my signature (thank you for making me think to do this) and feel free to come find me. 

How have you found it moving through the weeks? I'm enjoying it and finding it manageable so far, but am a little worried about hitting a week that I really struggle with.

Wow; you sound a lot like me! I'm a fellow underpants collector and recovering "all or nothing"-aholic. 

I had taken up a new role several years ago at work and let myself press on but found I could not develop the thick skin I needed to deal with some of the personalities in my department. Thankfully it was a role that I could "abandon" without too much flak. However, I have begun a new adventure at work in a new department that I will need to stick with. The difference between then and now? NF and the community boards, for sure. I totally feel fired up to ask for what I need at my job because I know there will be A LOT that I don't know and will need to learn. So, good luck to you in your quest for employment calm :)

Excited to "meet" someone with a FitBit. What model do you have, what are its capabilities and how do you like it?

Congrats on all of your progress so far! I think you're going to rock this challenge! I think I will join Klaymates and stalk your thread, too!

Thanks for sharing your story. It always helps to know that others are facing/have faced similar challenges. I think my work mission is definitely going to be the hardest one for me in this challenge. There are lots of other life quests that I want to achieve ,and some are easier than this one, but I didn't want to shy away from taking on what is a BIG challenge for me.

I love my FitBit, because I love seeing things mapped out and being able to quantify what I have achieved. I have the FitBit One, and got it for Christmas last year. However after a couple of months I stopped using it. Got back into using it when I decided to get involved in the NF Challenges - and found a thread on the forums of NF users  of FitBit. Added them all as friends and my steps totally took off as I tried to climb the leaderboards.

My FItBit measures steps, floors climbed, distance, calories and sleep. Using the website or app you can also log food, water, weight... I log weight and water, but not food. The idea of tracking everything I eat doesn't appeal. Might start using it if my weight plateaus. Are you thinking of getting one? The newest model is the Flex, but I'm not sure of its capabilities.

I'm totally going to be stalking your thread to see how things are going and offering encouragement and accountability!

A wish you a good luck with your challenge. I wish I knew Zombi run it looks like a lot of fun. Thanks a lot for dropping by my challenge. I will make shure to follow your progress and hope that by the end of it, we will both have runned the number of time and kilometer we want. 

I can see (read?) your determination with your objectives. I like the way you have integrated the angrybird workout with your plan. 

Have fun :)

Mathieu *Gamer Unleashed*,
Level 4 Hobit scout
STR 8|DEX 5|STA 7|CON 6|WIS 7|CHA 4

Felt I should drop by and check out your mission.. and wow am I impressed.

I so relate to the underpant collecting and perfectionism/ocd.. 
Gawd I have to stop myself trying to get 3 stars on every bloody level of those stupid FB games lol

Super impressed on the 'pre-season' warm up for the challenge and think that you have set yourself achievable goals. Good luck!

| lvl3 | Amazon Warrior |
|str
6|dex1|sta5|con5|wis8|cha2|

| challenges | two | one | 

| mfp | l4dyh4wk |

OK. Day before the challenge starts so here are my starting measurements:

Weight: 85.9kg (189.38lbs)

Chest: 108cm (42.52in)

Waist: 102.5cm (40.35in)

Hips: 107cm (42.13in)

Thighs: 61.5cm (24.21in)

Upper arm: 32cm (12.6in)

Have taken starting pictures as well (face,front, side). Not confident enough to show them here though.

Felt I should drop by and check out your mission.. and wow am I impressed.

I so relate to the underpant collecting and perfectionism/ocd.. 

Gawd I have to stop myself trying to get 3 stars on every bloody level of those stupid FB games lol

Super impressed on the 'pre-season' warm up for the challenge and think that you have set yourself achievable goals. Good luck!

Pre-season warm up! Ha! I like that very much. Thanks for dropping by. And good luck for day one of the challenge. Smash it!

OK. Day before the challenge starts so here are my starting measurements:

Weight: 85.9kg (189.38lbs)

Chest: 108cm (42.52in)

Waist: 102.5cm (40.35in)

Hips: 107cm (42.13in)

Thighs: 61.5cm (24.21in)

Upper arm: 32cm (12.6in)

Have taken starting pictures as well (face,front, side). Not confident enough to show them here though.

Heya - these are all wonderful, because why? You've just written the first half of your success story!!! :D

Understand on the pictures. I've taken mine and I'm just soooo self critical that if I posted them on here I'd have to kill everyone who saw them. I don't wanna do that. The ppl round here are too nice. :P 

But goooood luuuuck with it! Let us know how you get on.

Heya - these are all wonderful, because why? You've just written the first half of your success story!!! :D

Understand on the pictures. I've taken mine and I'm just soooo self critical that if I posted them on here I'd have to kill everyone who saw them. I don't wanna do that. The ppl round here are too nice. :tongue:

But goooood luuuuck with it! Let us know how you get on.

Thanks very much. I love that way of looking at it. 

I considered long and hard before deciding what to do with my pics... I know that no one here would be judging me. I guess it's just a bridge too far for now.

Maybe at the end of the challenge I'll have the guts/confidence to show what hopefully is a mini-transformation.  :playful:

The most important thing is that you took the pictures.  I am so glad I had some for the previous challenge.  Looking in the mirror I definitely don't give myself enough credit, and the pictures help with that.

Crystal Gem Druid || Stat-free Level-free Goodness

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

"Do what the fuck you want to." Panic Station, Muse

I love your story!  Looks like your goals are very specific and you're ready to take this on.  And great job with the weight loss so far.

I need to get on taking those measurements today.  I just don't want to step on the scale and see those numbers :(

Re: your work objective -- Good luck!  Procrastination is my absolute downfall in my job, mostly because I get overwhelmed with all that I need to do.  You're absolutely doing the right thing by deciding to get help when you need it.  My experience is that people would rather have you ask questions than mess something up or not do it.

You're also a Zombie runner? This seems really popular on this forum, I think I'll have to check it out.

Props on getting pictures/measurements done ahead of time! I know I've wished in the past I recorded more, but never less. The more data you have, the better you can judge how much you've improved. :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines