Eirlys - Getting On Top Of My Game

Eirlys

Introduction

Hi, I've moved over from the Rangers as I found most of my challenges were around improving self which is a natural fit for the Druid guild.  I'm 95% vegan (100% vegetarian) and of all the forms of exercise, I like running.  My favourite hobby is LARPing, and I'm looking forward to an intensive 6-day LARP event at the end of October.

I joined NF a year ago now.  This is my eighth challenge, and I've just changed my profile name.  Eirlys (pronounced 'ayr-lees') is Welsh for snowdrop.

I'm interested in learning more about practising stoicism in daily life, but that will have to wait for another day, and another challenge!

Goals

My goals for this challenge are to: 
  • improve my confidence
  • sharpen up body & mind

My probationary review at work indicated confidence is an area I need to address urgently.  I believe that I will feel more confident if I 
a. get on top of the subject matter required by my new job
b. 'act as if' - having a hunched posture doesn't make me feel confident!
c. just get stuff done.

1. Learn
  • Read book: Responsive Web Design with HTML5 and CSS3
  • Read book: Javascript & jQuery: The Missing Manual
  • Memorise the article content on streamingmedia.com
  • Continue watching videos for coursera.org: Think Again: How to Reason and Argue, for as long as I feel I'm deriving benefit from the course
  • Revise this list if I've finished both books before end of week 4

2. Stand Up Straight

Check at least 10 times a day that my standing posture is correct, and that my head is up

Success is graded by how many days I do this during the challenge.

3. Efficiency

Now that I'm settling into my new job, I want to build up a sensible daily routine.

At home:
  • Continue to improve on routine: current improvement is to get ready for bed at 9-9.15pm, measurable by how many days I achieve this per week.  Mitigating factors accepted, e.g. does not apply if I am out that evening.
  • Review weekly whether I am ready to add another element to daily routine & start that if so.

At work, continue to:
  • wield the Sparkling Sword of Clarity to cut through the ambiguity and get answers
  • wear the Helm of Action to plough through my work, especially getting through the daily fatigue around 5pm - measurable by whether I continue working at 5pm and leave the office around 6pm (or whether the end of my day slips by an hour)
  • 'touch it only once' - for items that take less than 5-10 minutes to do, don't write them down and come back to them, process them now

4. Life Quest - Purify

I would love to feel in charge of my brain by the end of 2013.

The outside - minimalism:
  • Sell off selected books that have been removed from the shelves
  • Create ebay listings for items to auction in advance of next free listing
  • Take miscellaneous items to charity shop
  • Find someone who wants to have my LARP-specific items

The inside:
  • Continue to monitor ruminating thoughts and follow this process:
  1. notice when I'm ruminating
  2. ask myself 'who' I'm ruminating to? (usually the sequence of thoughts is directed at someone/some group of people)
  3. ask myself what I'm seeking to achieve
  4. ask myself why I'm doing it
  5. think of other strategies/tactics for achieving my aims
  • Write down any insights about my shadows ('mental scripts' that impair my life)
  • Ponder and seek advice on how I can best deal with people who want to talk about a topic that causes me much anguish
  • Do the exercise in the book 'The Worry Cure' for my biggest fear

5. Diet/Fitness Quest - Get Training & Get Healthy

I have a LARP event I need to be super-fit for, just after this challenge finishes.

Fitness:
  • Try beating PB set for 1 mile run (7 min 43 s) - 'nice to have' - I've been out of action for 3 weeks following an operation, so I'm not sure how achieveable this is.
  • HIIT at least once/week
  • Experiment with cardio that improves quick reactions, e.g. tabata - try something new at least once
  • Do floor exercises 3 times a week to get into shape

Food:

• Lose at least 1kg
  • Challenge the 'excuse/temptation demon' that suggests I eat something unhealthy; I get 1 point for each time I manage this (over a period of 15 minutes)
  • Weekly review & adjustment of strategies to stop snacking
  • Weigh myself twice a day - I found this tactic very helpful when I lost 10kg last year.
If I deem the number of 'challenge demon' points sufficient, I get to treat myself to something nice.
If I lose 1kg, I also get a treat.

Yes, bribery!!  It's time to turn the tables on this particular challenge nemesis of mine!

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Oh, hi, mysterious stranger who was posting in my thread! =) (I was only confused for a little while.) I like the new name and image you've chosen.

I also like your challenge! You've got a lot going on in there, but I especially like your goal to stand up straight. Simple, but powerful!

Absidey

LEVEL12

STR11 DEX13 STA20

CON29 WIS17 CHA11

Fear is the mind-killer.

Main Goal: Lose 20 Hip/Waist inches

95%
95%

Current Challenge

Grading

This is the first time I've gone for a fully SMART approach in a while.  Let's see if it pays dividends :)

1. Learning WIS +3

A - have read both books, memorised article & watched some videos

Deduct a grade for each of the above if I haven't done it.

2. Stand Up Straight STR +3

A - 41-42 days

B - 35-40 days

C - 30-34 days

D - 25-29 days

3. Efficiency STA +4 

Points divided evenly between the following:

Home - maintain routine

A - 5 days a week (30 days out of the challenge)

B - 4 days a week (24 days out of the challenge)

C - 3 days a week (18 days out of the challenge)

D - 2 days a week (12 days out of the challenge)

Work - take action determinedly in the late afternoon, with the average departure time:

A - before 6.10pm

B - before 6.30pm

C - before 6.50pm

D - before 7.10pm

I can exclude days where an unexpected pile of urgent work comes my way.

4. Purify CHA +2

A - sold books, created ebay listings, taken items to charity shop, identified owner for LARP goodies, done 'The Worry Cure' exercise

Deduct a grade for each of the above if I haven't done it.

5. Get Training & Get Healthy DEX +3

Have done interval training, Have done floor exercises:

A - at least 6 times, at least 18 times

B - 5 times, 15-17 times

C - 4 times, 12-14 times

D - 3 times, 9-11 times

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Facebook

Oh, hi, mysterious stranger who was posting in my thread! =) (I was only confused for a little while.) I like the new name and image you've chosen.

I also like your challenge! You've got a lot going on in there, but I especially like your goal to stand up straight. Simple, but powerful!

Hi Absidey

Thanks for looking in on me, I see you've moved on from the Rangers too :)  Not long to go before we can officially go kick ass!  (hmm, is that a non-druidic thing to say?)

Good luck with your goals as the Autumn wind stirs our souls! :)  (that sounded more druidic)

-- Facebook

I liked alienjenn's idea of posting some inspirational quotes/pictures up, so here's some to get going with:

quote-wallpaper154.jpg

if_you_are_depressed-130024.jpg?i

919.jpg Today-fill-your-cup-of-life-with-sunshin

-- Facebook

Hey Eirlys - I'm glad you found the Druids.  This is definitely going to be a good fit for you :)

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Love the pictures you posted!

Thanks Pretzle!  I'll post more from time to time, then :)  I have a folder full of 'inspiring wallpapers' on my computer - yay for feel good!

Hey Eirlys - I'm glad you found the Druids.  This is definitely going to be a good fit for you :)

Thanks Blaidd!  I'm glad to know I can be in the Druids and not obliged to do yoga or pilates.  Although one day I probably will succumb and then wonder why I didn't start it 10 years earlier like everyone suggested :D

-- Facebook

Starting Stats

Last week I thought I'd "prep" for the new challenge by trying to snack less, and as a result my weight went down from 58.5kg (Friday) to 57.5kg (Saturday).  I give a "range" for some measurements which is the thinnest I can make my body, to my body at its most 'relaxed'.  I find it solves the problem of holding one's tummy in to 'beat' a previous measurement.

Weight: 57.5 kg

Waist Range: 25.75 - 28 in

Tummy Range: 28.25 - 30.5 in

Upper Hip - Lower Hip: 36 - 37.25 in

Bum: 39 in

-- Facebook

Welcome to Druids!  Reading your goals about confidence reminded me of this Ted talk that might be helpful to you:  http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are.html

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

Welcome to the Druids!  You have an excellent and though provoking set of goals, as usual.  Good luck with them.  We will be here cheering you on.

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Good luck with your challenge Eirlys, I'll be watching your progress :)

Thanks Kiara! :)

Welcome to Druids!  Reading your goals about confidence reminded me of this Ted talk that might be helpful to you:  http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are.html

Thanks for sharing the link, peggy!  I'm excited to have found a home in the Druids :)

Welcome to the Druids!  You have an excellent and though provoking set of goals, as usual.  Good luck with them.  We will be here cheering you on.

Thank you M. Scientist!  I think I still suffer from the chronic problem of wanting to do too much, too quickly (my paper list had a lot more on it!) but hopefully it will be manageable!

Today I had bad news from the hospital based on my blood test this morning.  It leaves me wondering if things will ever work out, or if I'm going to spend the rest of my life envious of 'most people'.

I did however manage to leave work at 6pm.  I think I may need to go back to understanding the underlying reason why I'm procrastinating and how long I spend engaging in distraction activities.

It's getting close to half 9, so I better get cracking on the bedtime routine!

-- Facebook

Today I had bad news from the hospital based on my blood test this morning.  It leaves me wondering if things will ever work out, or if I'm going to spend the rest of my life envious of 'most people'.

I did however manage to leave work at 6pm.  I think I may need to go back to understanding the underlying reason why I'm procrastinating and how long I spend engaging in distraction activities.

It's getting close to half 9, so I better get cracking on the bedtime routine!

Aw I'm sorry about the bad news. I hope it does work out for you.. Its only a matter of time when everyones looking at you and thinking 'I wish that was me'..

Same here, nearly time to start bedtime routine. Got a few minutes ;)

Hope your feeling a little better tomorrow x

'The only Limits you have, are the ones You set for yourself'

1    2

Hey Eirlys-

We miss Kev in the Rangers, but it seems you've found a great group with the Druids. So sorry to hear about your bad news, that really sucks. Sounds like you have your IronMan moment... So you're not normal. Rather than see your self as abnormal, see yourself as supernormal!

Our lives may not always work out how we expect, but it is up to each of us to do what works for our situation. You are an awesome person and with your strength and character you will look back on this moment ten years from now and say, "Yeah, that sucked, but it wasn't so terrible after all."

Best of luck on your goals.

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Welcome to the Druids!

I totally understand your procrastination issues. I lived them ;)

What was wrong with your blood test?

You are a  NF Rebel. That means hero. So you'll deal will it pretty well ;)

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

Aw I'm sorry about the bad news. I hope it does work out for you.. Its only a matter of time when everyones looking at you and thinking 'I wish that was me'..

Same here, nearly time to start bedtime routine. Got a few minutes ;)

Hope your feeling a little better tomorrow x

Thanks Kiara!  

*checks PC clock* ... dang it's getting close to bedtime routine time, already! *half an hour later* 

How did the bedtime routine work out? :)

So far, so good!  Although it has curtailed my use of NF a little!

I haven't figured out how to solve the problem of staying asleep all night yet, but one thing at a time eh :)

Hey Eirlys-

We miss Kev in the Rangers, but it seems you've found a great group with the Druids. So sorry to hear about your bad news, that really sucks. Sounds like you have your IronMan moment... So you're not normal. Rather than see your self as abnormal, see yourself as supernormal!

Our lives may not always work out how we expect, but it is up to each of us to do what works for our situation. You are an awesome person and with your strength and character you will look back on this moment ten years from now and say, "Yeah, that sucked, but it wasn't so terrible after all."

Best of luck on your goals.

Thanks for your support Doug.  I appreciate that without knowing what it is I'm talking about, it's probably hard to know what to say.

I've been scared of opening up, but looking at the support offered on these forums, I wonder if people might actually be nice?  I feel like it's an awkward topic, and I've been afraid of how people will react.  Will they stop talking to me?  (woah, too heavy, man).  Or will someone say something that cuts emotionally - whether by accident, or well-meaning 'advice', or just because?

In any case, I absolutely refuse to accept this situation right now.  Maybe in 5 years time, but I'm going to fight for all I'm worth to get the happy ending, because this was always my dream.

Welcome to the Druids!

I totally understand your procrastination issues. I lived them ;)

What was wrong with your blood test?

You are a  NF Rebel. That means hero. So you'll deal will it pretty well ;)

Hi Sunmage

Thanks for the welcome.  I feel like I've finally come to my natural home in the Druids - a place of quiet contemplation :)

The procrastination is ironic, given how much time I spend planning all the amazing things I'm going to do to change my life!  It's so hard to focus on the here and now ;)

Unfortunately the blood test showed a reversal in the hormones they were measuring.

Have been doing well so far on challenge goals.

Mon - left work at 6pm

Tue - left work at 6.10pm (considered writing another email but then saw time & realised that would grant me a 'B' so left)

Wed - had long conference call which ended later so I'm off the hook, but still managed to get out at 6.30pm

I've also almost caught up on the Coursera lectures, and have read the first three chapters of the book on Responsive Websites.

I've made 3 'resists' against over-eating (especially while watching the Great British Bake-off - oh man, those biscuits looked so lovely last night!) and have been getting to bed on time.  Talking of which... :)

-- Facebook

My sympathies about your bad news.  Hang in there.  I just watched "The Three Pickers," a music video with Doc Watson, Earl Scruggs, and Ricky Scaggs.  In it, Doc Watson says that if he had not been blinded, he would have been an electrical engineer or something similar, with music purely as a hobby.  He went through a dark time until music rescued him, then went on to become an icon of American folk music.  Who knows what will happen.  As was said before, we all have our Iron Man moment.

Good luck on maintaining your challenge.

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

I've made 3 'resists' against over-eating (especially while watching the Great British Bake-off - oh man, those biscuits looked so lovely last night!) and have been getting to bed on time.  Talking of which... :)

oh yes those baking shows are wicked.  But instead of tempting me to eat the goodies all i wanna do is bake the goodies :)  I have the American and Australian versions saved on my HDD for bake reference.  Now i'm gonna hunt down the British version too :)

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Thats a good programme. Lol. I watch it too ;) but  Yay for the resists!! :D

'The only Limits you have, are the ones You set for yourself'

1    2

Hey there, Drude Duid.

Sorry to hear you got confirmation of the bad news from the hospital. Well, as others have said, it could be an iron man moment... Optimism is not something we brits are usually good at, but it's true - life hands us a pile of poo sometimes but as the old saying goes, when life hands you poo, make lemonade. Brown lemonade. Er... Sorry, I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Anyway, it's good to see you staying strong and keeping on top of the goals.

And GBBO? Temptation city! My family are fans. I heard there was a biscuit dales last time? Yum. There has to be a pun there... Um... ExSalivate? No, that's rubbish, but never mind.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Hi!!  I'm sorry it took me so long to figure out who and where you are now (I actually had help -- thanks, AB!), but I'm here now :)  You can't get away that easily.

So sorry to hear about the tough stuff.  One day at a time, dear friend.  And here's to being strong enough to not give up on the dream.  I am in awe of you.

HUGS.

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Good job on leaving work on time(-ish) :D

Thanks Pretzle!  It feels so much better to go home earlier.  Haven't been sacked yet, either ;)  I do feel I need to up my game & be more productive to justify the leaving time, but one step at a time eh!

oh yes those baking shows are wicked.  But instead of tempting me to eat the goodies all i wanna do is bake the goodies :)  I have the American and Australian versions saved on my HDD for bake reference.  Now i'm gonna hunt down the British version too :)

I haven't seen the other versions, but I find the British one highly enjoyable, and some of the flavour combos sound scrummy & cakes look amazing!!  I hope you enjoy & possibly get inspired! :)

Thats a good programme. Lol. I watch it too ;) but  Yay for the resists!! :D

Hehe!  Next time I may brush my teeth before watching it to ensure that I cannot succumb to any delicious temptation! :D

-- Facebook

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines