Eirlys - Getting On Top Of My Game

Eirlys

Thanks 18ck & Blaidd!

I've read that people use either internal or external frames of reference, I'm one of those souls who (currently) depend on outside 'evidence' to determine what's what. So things like this count as 'proof' of competence, as people don't tend to bring it up in conversation (and most people are liable to criticise rather than praise!)

Sadly today I am coming down with a cold which has blown all my weekend plans out of the window! Grr. Had planned to do so much - study, exercise, take more things to charity etc & now I suspct I'll end up watching TV on the sofa.

Currently I'm propped up watching Revenge of the Nerds on the box... It's a bit weird! I'm glad real Nerds aren't like that! :)

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Darling, you're already awesome, so I wouldn't worry too much about trying to be even moreso.  Proof of your awesomeness is all around you.  You don't think we hang around you for nothing, do you?  :)  

Hope you kick the cold in the teeth and get feeling better soon!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

Aw thanks Hiraedd. Hopefully this learning binge will help me believe it!

I just wanna shout about 3 other important people in my life who are doing well!

My mum was complaining on the phone that she couldn't lose weight & had basically been on a plateau for ages despite not eating many calories. Upon questioning, her lunch included bread & butter (as well as a filling) despite allegedly being 300 kcal or so.

I persuaded her to try some pre-made salads instead from a supermarket nearby (based on the logic that if what you're doing isn't working - try something else!) and 3 weeks later she has lost 5 lbs and fitting into her smaller jeans, so WIN!

Secondly, the high elf has recently started doing 5k timed park runs every weekend. He started off about 4 weeks ago with a PB of 25 min 2s and every week has shaved progressively more time off it, this week hitting 23 min 44! (He also then does an hour & half yoga straight after). It's nice to see him all energised & enthusiastic about exercise!

And my dad has lost about 17 lbs since the start of the year too.

Healthy living FTW! :)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Facebook

It's like the generation game but with awesomeness instead of fondue sets.

Didn't they do well!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Aw, congrats on effecting the people around you Hun. That's the best feeling :)

Sent with awesomeness from my iPad using Tapatalk

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

So cool to hear about your family's progress too!  I'm in awe of those 5k times.  I'll really have to step up my training now.

HUGE congrats on the recruiter contact.  It's SO typical for women to apologize for "bragging" when they tell about something praiseworthy, but it's NOT bragging, and even if it is, you can brag here.  We'll just cheer you on!

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

That is AWESOME!  Look at you, spilling that success to the people around you. :)  Great job!

Thanks H!  My dad did it all by himself, but my mum really struggles, partly as she needs a hip replacement so all her weight loss has to come from diet alone.  I hope she keeps up the momentum!

It's like the generation game but with awesomeness instead of fondue sets.

Didn't they do well!

Argh, I thought I'd escaped Bruce Forsyth this weekend when he missed Strictly ;) Lol.  Thanks :)

Aw, congrats on effecting the people around you Hun. That's the best feeling :) Sent with awesomeness from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Blaidd!  I think Steve's recent article about how you help others around you get started was pretty useful.

So cool to hear about your family's progress too!  I'm in awe of those 5k times.  I'll really have to step up my training now.

HUGE congrats on the recruiter contact.  It's SO typical for women to apologize for "bragging" when they tell about something praiseworthy, but it's NOT bragging, and even if it is, you can brag here.  We'll just cheer you on!

Thanks Peggy!  The high elf is very excited about his 5k times, too!  Downside is I'm not sure I'm going to be able to catch him now ;)  

And you're totally right about the women/bragging thing.  I think particularly in the UK, people love to take pot-shots at anybody (especially women) that they think are "getting above themselves", or maybe I just hang around with the wrong people (in addition to the media encouraging this sort of nastiness)?

-- Facebook

Halfway Through - Challenge Review

1. Learn - Grade A

• completed first book (HTML5, CSS3, responsive web design)
  • 60% through second book (Javascript, jQuery)
  • also watched several several videos on Angular JS
  • started revising algorithms - implemented naive (memory-inefficient) Quicksort this weekend
  • haven't logged into Coursera for 2 weeks - all-or-nothing syndrome kicking in

Spinning in a slightly different direction over next couple of weeks.  My plan is to revise algorithms & complexity (some of the courses I disliked most at uni, but are probably fine these days if I just look at it again!), mainly by getting my hands dirty and implementing them all in a test-driven development manner (by which I mean write tests of the code first & develop it incrementally).

I also started looking at some PHP CMSs (wordpress, Joomla) last week and am halfway through a dry run of upgrading an old website to a much newer version - as nobody else is going to do this.  I did this by downloading the entire website onto my home computer.  My anti-virus checker handily pointed out a few rogue files, so they've been wiped off the server, too!  Security exploits a great reason to upgrade...

2. Stand up Straight - Grade A

Am regularly checking posture but have a long long way to go before this becomes natural.  Still, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

3. Efficiency - Grade A

Had a slight dip at work at the start of this quarter, but managed to pull things back on track.  However, circumstances meant I ended up working later than I wanted most of last week.  Maybe one contributing factor to becoming ill?

4. Purify - Grade A

Am gradually creeping through the minimalism part of this challenge.  Currently have 2-3 bags of stuff to sell or donate, just need to get round to taking the steps to do it.  Illness this weekend scuppered that.

However, on the inside, feel like I made major progress in healing the mind.  For the last few days, every time I've been exposed to subject X out & about, and on the telly/newspaper, I've felt neutral.  Whereas, for the last 18 months, it would always trigger a cocktail of negative emotions.  This is a great relief.  I hope I can sustain it.

5. Diet/Fitness Quest - Grade D :(

First of all, the eating went off-track.

Then, when I was working late most days last week, I didn't exercise.  Thinking, I'll save it for the weekend.

Then I got a cold, which will set my fitness back weeks (as it always causes the return of the asthma).  Plus, when I get a cold, I eat a lot (as I tell myself it will aid my recovery - "starve a fever, feed a cold").

I'm wondering how much the cold was down to poor lifestyle decisions.

After I've recovered - am currently off work this morning, as my chest hurt too much from sustained shallow breathing overnight - I'll evaluate what I need to do on this one to reset along the direction I want to be.

Overall: Grade B

Dang diet!  Still, the most important things to me recently are (1) efficiency and (2) learning.

-- Facebook

Shame the diet bit hasn't been all you'd hoped but you are kicking so much ass with the others that it shouldn't be too hard to bring that one up to speed, hopefully.

Here's to an even better 2nd half!

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Shame the diet bit hasn't been all you'd hoped but you are kicking so much ass with the others that it shouldn't be too hard to bring that one up to speed, hopefully.

Here's to an even better 2nd half!

Thanks 18ck!  

I forgot that I had started doing regular wall sits while watching the TV, and walking up 14 flights of steps daily to get to my desk in the morning, so I guess it's not all negative on the exercise front!  :)

-- Facebook

Thanks 18ck!  

I forgot that I had started doing regular wall sits while watching the TV, and walking up 14 flights of steps daily to get to my desk in the morning, so I guess it's not all negative on the exercise front!  :)

I should say not! Lol:). It's always easier to beat yourself up over the things you planned to do and didn't, than to look at what you've already done and be proud of it. You're doing great. :)

Current challenge: Draco Used to Be an Adventurer Like You....

Previous challenge: Draco Returns for a New Adventure

Level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer

6.25 STR | 4 DEX | 6 STA | 4.5 CON | 5.5 WIS | 4.5 CHA

“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.â€

― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

I should say not! Lol:). It's always easier to beat yourself up over the things you planned to do and didn't, than to look at what you've already done and be proud of it. You're doing great. :)

+1

Wow you're kicking butt Eirlys!! :) Keep going.!!

Yeh I know fitness/diet wasn't the grade you were looking for but when we're ill, some allowances have to be made. And besides, like you said, you have been getting some fitness in without even realising it :)

halfway there!! :)

'The only Limits you have, are the ones You set for yourself'

1    2

Thanks Draco!  I have a friend who's a real perfectionist, and he always focuses on the 0.0001% of the stuff that wasn't quite to his standards.  I can see that being like that doesn't bring happiness, so as you suggest, should focus on the stuff that did go well! 

+1

counter++;

point(taken);

;)

sorry, this challenge is turning me into a real geek... and your spellchecker only encourages me!

Wow you're kicking butt Eirlys!! :) Keep going.!!

Yeh I know fitness/diet wasn't the grade you were looking for but when we're ill, some allowances have to be made. And besides, like you said, you have been getting some fitness in without even realising it :)

halfway there!! :)

Thanks Kiara!  On the one hand I can't believe that this challenge is already over halfway through!  On the other, I'm already planning stuff for the next challenge! :D

Today was another sick day and excuse to comfort eat in the evening.  Going into work this afternoon was a mistake (other than if I wanted the team to know that I am genuinely ill & not pulling a sickie!) and I'm about to face my 4th or 5th self-imposed night on the couch struggling to sleep/breathe.

But it's not all doom & gloom.  I got another great confidence/ego boosting message from Linkedin.  I could happily receive these messages every day!  Am I just falling for sales patter?  This one was from an internal recruiter at another global internet giant:

The role I had in mind is a very Senior position within the company. We haven't been able to recruit at this level for over a year as they're hard people to find.

Wow!

I wish that I felt I'm as great as my CV suggests I should be.

And I hate that I feel like that!  I watch enough reality television shows right now to know just how damn off-putting and unsexy a lack of confidence in one's abilities really is!  But I feel I need 4 months of hard study before I can do myself justice!

-- Facebook

Oh dear, not quite on top of my game today.

Was wrongly expecting phone call from recruiter #1 tomorrow.  It was today.  

Coughed for half of the chat, wondering if I was going to start choking towards the end of the call.

Initially sent off wrong dates of availability for further interviews.

Good news: got asked about the bloomin' quicksort algorithm.  (Refer to: what I revised on Saturday).  Win!

-- Facebook

Update: am planning some serious cramming over the next week or two, so may not be around to update much on the NF forums during that time.

I've decided to swap the Coursera Reasoning & Arguments course for another Coursera course on Algorithm Analysis.  It has about only 14 hours of lectures so I hope to complete that by Saturday.

Good luck everyone on your challenges & I hope week 4 rocks hard for you all!

-- Facebook

Wow!  You've been doing great.  Good to hear your interview went well.  Hope the next one goes as well.

Good luck on your Coursera odyssey!

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Sounds like a good course. Enjoy!

Thanks peggy & madscientist & 18ck! After 1.5 days of relentless study this weekend, my brain got tired but now it's inspired (and keeping me awake, over an hour after I went to bed!).

I suspect my revision is too little, too late, but that doesn't matter as I'm excited about the opportunities I can create for myself if I maintain a minimum regular level of study! And I've demonstrated to myself that, even if I've forgotten some high school mathematics, I'm much better than I gave myself credit for - yay!

Plus my brain is happy for feeding it brain food (learning) this weekend.

Want to stay up & do everything, but must sleep. Somehow!

P.s. food eating has been disastrous this week :)

-- Facebook

nice going on that studying!!  You're a lot better than you give yourself credit for in all fields, not just maths ;)

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Feeling your pain re disastrous food (Mrs 18ck is having another baking day) but I'm glad to hear the course is giving you brain-cuddles. Long may that continue!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines