iatetheyeti: Enduro! Enduro!*

iatetheyeti

Day: Three

Time: 20:02

Conditions: Dark and windy

Current Song: Coheed and Cambria - Welcome Home

Today failed, hard.

Daily Report

Aside from an unneeded ten miler into town and back, I've done nothing but wallow. For those of you that don't know, I was diagnosed with depression a while back, and while it's mostly something I have under control, there are times when something just snaps. Though I guess this was less a snap and more a slid, and now I'm hiding out in my room feeling like utter shit, practically crying and I couldn't tell you why, while my housemates sound like they're having a great time downstairs. I suspect I'm going to stay here for a long time.

It isn't the first time this has happened, not by a long shot. Sometimes it's just a day-long thing, sometimes it can go on for a few weeks. We'll see where this ends up when I wake up tomorrow, though I'm not holding out much hope. I just wish I knew what made it happen this time. Usually if I know the cause I can actually do something, take steps to fix it, so to speak. I hate not knowing.

Current song: SiMS - Burn it Down

First, I completely lurrrved the Burn It Down video!  I've never even heard of the Sims.  That is a great workout song!

Second, I am totally jelly of your new toy!  It is bee-yoo-tee-ful!  Please be sure to post the pics you take with it :)

I'm sorry you're dealing with the downs.  I hope since you posted that you're on the upswing.  I'll be thinking of you!

Level 2 Amazon Druid

STR 4|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 1

My 1st Challenge - Ring Toss, Anyone?     My 2nd Challenge - Jodi's Two Towers     My Battle Log     My Tribe - The Dai-Gurren Brigade

At times, you become almost certain that you slabbed this hillside three days ago, crossed this stream yesterday, clambered over this fallen tree at least twice today already. But most of the time you don’t think. No point. Instead, you exist in a kind of mobile Zen mode, your brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below. Walking for hours and miles becomes as automatic, as unremarkable, as breathing. At the end of the day you don’t think, 'Hey, I did sixteen miles today,' any more than you think, 'Hey, I took eight-thousand breaths today.' It’s just what you do.â€

Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Hey Yeti,

Can you check into the Brigade when you come on? We need input! Thanks!

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Hey guys, just wanted to drop by and say thanks. Major thanks. I don't know how to express how much the messages of support have helped, just that they have. Things are still kinda messed up, but I'm getting there and hoping to be at least back on track enough to resume posting by the weekend.

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Today failed, hard.

Daily Report

Aside from an unneeded ten miler into town and back, I've done nothing but wallow. For those of you that don't know, I was diagnosed with depression a while back, and while it's mostly something I have under control, there are times when something just snaps. Though I guess this was less a snap and more a slid, and now I'm hiding out in my room feeling like utter shit, practically crying and I couldn't tell you why, while my housemates sound like they're having a great time downstairs. I suspect I'm going to stay here for a long time.

It isn't the first time this has happened, not by a long shot. Sometimes it's just a day-long thing, sometimes it can go on for a few weeks. We'll see where this ends up when I wake up tomorrow, though I'm not holding out much hope. I just wish I knew what made it happen this time. Usually if I know the cause I can actually do something, take steps to fix it, so to speak. I hate not knowing.

Nikopol - City of Victory

The ground below my feet elevated

Instinctively programmed there for me

No thoughts, my visions clear not too complicated

I'm here because you're here

(You've got a problem now)

The speck of fear grows in your eyes

You'll meet your death in no disguise

It may come as a small surprise

There will be no compromise for you

No problem can't be solved temporarily

Then soon it gets forgotten that you exist

Sounds echo underground nauseating

Nikopol derives from the Greek "Nikepolis", which means City of Victory. You're the same as me Yeti! Most people can't handle our existence! Which is the reason we must continue existing! Ours is a life of trials and tribulations unmatched by the normal circumstances of others!! It is for that reason we must excel and prosper!! It is through that prosperity that we'll meet people like Ash and Swamps and the rest of the NF and it is for that reason we'll push on through our rock-bottoms to come out stronger and better for it! After all...

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE!?!!!

Hero's First Challenge, Again! - "I knew pig-moles were a bad idea..."

Who the hell do you think I am!?!

-Kamina, "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann"

Dai-Gurren Brigade's Hero

Lvl1 Human Ranger

STR3 DEX1 STA3 CON1 WIS1 CHA1

It is for that reason we must excel and prosper!! It is through that prosperity that we'll meet people like Ash and Swamps and the rest of the NF and it is for that reason we'll push on through our rock-bottoms to come out stronger and better for it! After all...

While I can only imagine how difficult this is for you, I know what Hero says is true.  I believe, like he says, that trials and tribulations really are opportunities to strengthen our character and to grow.  Hold onto hope.  Think about and remember the times when things are going well and use that to help pull you through this.  You have friends here that are pulling for you.  You've go this!!

Level 2 Hawk Assassin

Str: 2, Dex: 1, Sta: 2, Con: 2, Wis: 4, Cha: 1

Challenges: Getting Going, 1, 2(Failed), 2.1(failed), 2.2(current)

Accountability:  The Dai-Gurren Brigade

Current Challenge Goal Progress:  Food Log(7/36), Exercise(5/24), Sleep Log(6/36), Meal Plan(1/21)

Battle Log

Fitocracy  MyFitnessPal  RunKeeper

“Believe the incredible and you can do the impossible†- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God? You are not your own; you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." - 1 Cor 6:19-20

Hi Yeti! Welcome back in the light! If you have another day like that, then, of those people around you when it happens, ask the person you trust the most (or heck, ask all of them) for a hug. They just might surprise you!

M (the 13th letter). Lvl 6 Elven Monk.

Mathematics, computer science, martial arts and bodyweight strength training. Also, sometimes, fiction.

Hello, world!

Challenges: “Consistency†⟶ “Preparation†⟶ “Multiplexing†⟶ “Sanity†⟶ “Escape†⟶ “Lockdown†⟶ “Probation†⟶ “Detention†⟶ “Foundationâ€(×3) ⟶ “All In!†⟶ “Happy Hourâ€

Wow Yeti, after swampling, Hero, brader and M all I can say is that you are awesome and I believe you are gonna come back stronger than ever.

You have my bestest wishes sent your way and I and your Brigade at your back!

Sending positive thoughts your way for your weekend!! :love_heart::triumphant::love_heart:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Hope your feeling better yeti.

Level 2 Hawk Assassin

Str: 2, Dex: 1, Sta: 2, Con: 2, Wis: 4, Cha: 1

Challenges: Getting Going, 1, 2(Failed), 2.1(failed), 2.2(current)

Accountability:  The Dai-Gurren Brigade

Current Challenge Goal Progress:  Food Log(7/36), Exercise(5/24), Sleep Log(6/36), Meal Plan(1/21)

Battle Log

Fitocracy  MyFitnessPal  RunKeeper

“Believe the incredible and you can do the impossible†- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God? You are not your own; you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." - 1 Cor 6:19-20

Today failed, hard.

Daily Report

Just saw Coheed and Cambria at the Uproar show. First introduction. I liked them.

Depression sucks. All I can really offer from experience is that it passes, but you already know that. Hang in there. Look at your food. Getting enough? How about sleep? Do something kind for yourself while you are isolating.

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

Hey yeti!

I am so sad to hear how you felt - and let me tell you: you're not alone. I suffer from this kind of depression from time to time (actually, I had another "episode" from 20-22th of September...), too. I know how bad you feel, and I am seconding M - just overcome the urge to hide and talk to people who are close to you, he is so damn right about the part with the surprising.

You can do it, my dear. Don't let your brain and some hormones knock you out, because ...

WHO DO YO THINK WE ARE! *hugs* The Black Knights and the Brigade are with you!

The voices in my head might not be real. But sometimes they have AMAZING ideas.

STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 1 WIS 1 CHA 1 - Respawned Level 1 Human Monk

Challenge Jan 5 - Feb 15, 2015

Just dropping in to say hello and send you some more light.  Thinking of you!

:peaceful:

Level 2 Amazon Druid

My 1st Challenge - Ring Toss, Anyone?     My 2nd Challenge - Jodi's Two Towers     My Battle Log     My Tribe - The Dai-Gurren Brigade

At times, you become almost certain that you slabbed this hillside three days ago, crossed this stream yesterday, clambered over this fallen tree at least twice today already. But most of the time you don’t think. No point. Instead, you exist in a kind of mobile Zen mode, your brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below. Walking for hours and miles becomes as automatic, as unremarkable, as breathing. At the end of the day you don’t think, 'Hey, I did sixteen miles today,' any more than you think, 'Hey, I took eight-thousand breaths today.' It’s just what you do.â€

All of you guys are amazing, and I will reply in the morning, I promise. Sorry for the absence, I couldn't access the forums! So much to catch up on now...

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

*prepares for mass wall o' text post*

Hey Yeti, glad to hear you are better (even if not quite there yet)! You got this! *hugs*

Thanks Swampling! Things are definitely looking up more now, and hopefully it'll continue that way.

Hey there! Hope things start looking up for you soon!

Is the Nevis Range the same thing as Aonach Mòr?

Kind of. Nevis Range is on Aonach Mor, both the ski runs and the orange downhill track are on the main hill anyway.

Nikopol - City of Victory

The ground below my feet elevated
Instinctively programmed there for me
No thoughts, my visions clear not too complicated

No problem can't be solved temporarily
Then soon it gets forgotten that you exist
Sounds echo underground nauseating

Nikopol derives from the Greek "Nikepolis", which means City of Victory. You're the same as me Yeti! Most people can't handle our existence! Which is the reason we must continue existing! Ours is a life of trials and tribulations unmatched by the normal circumstances of others!! It is for that reason we must excel and prosper!! It is through that prosperity that we'll meet people like Ash and Swamps and the rest of the NF and it is for that reason we'll push on through our rock-bottoms to come out stronger and better for it! After all...

Hero, seriously... You're amazing, you know that? And you're very, very right. Sometimes it takes a bit of a kick up the arse to see it that way again, but you're right. Thank you.

While I can only imagine how difficult this is for you, I know what Hero says is true.  I believe, like he says, that trials and tribulations really are opportunities to strengthen our character and to grow.  Hold onto hope.  Think about and remember the times when things are going well and use that to help pull you through this.  You have friends here that are pulling for you.  You've go this!!

Thanks brader! That reminds of what I did in the last place I lived. I had a wall full of photos of friends and nights out and places I'd been, and whenever I got pretty low I'd just lie on my bed and look at them, remembering. The photo wall is being started from scratch this year, but there's no reason I can't write down some of the amazing things you guys have been saying and give them their place of pride. It helps a lot.

Hi Yeti! Welcome back in the light! If you have another day like that, then, of those people around you when it happens, ask the person you trust the most (or heck, ask all of them) for a hug. They just might surprise you!

Heh, there's not much a mass amount of hugs can't help with, true. I think I might just have to do that.

Wow Yeti, after swampling, Hero, brader and M all I can say is that you are awesome and I believe you are gonna come back stronger than ever.

You have my bestest wishes sent your way and I and your Brigade at your back!

Sending positive thoughts your way for your weekend!! :love_heart::triumphant::love_heart:

Thank you so much, Ash! It's amazing having such a brilliant group of people around!

Hi Yeti.  Just got back and wanted to hop in and say hello. I look forward to seeing some fabulous pictures from your new camera.   Feel better my friend.  All your friends here at NF are rooting for you.  

Hey there stranger, good to see you again :D New camera pics will be up at some point today, definitely. And thank you!

Just saw Coheed and Cambria at the Uproar show. First introduction. I liked them.

Depression sucks. All I can really offer from experience is that it passes, but you already know that. Hang in there. Look at your food. Getting enough? How about sleep? Do something kind for yourself while you are isolating.

They are rather awesome, aren't they?

Thank you for the advice. It's all too easy to forget or neglect the important things when you're feeling that low.

Hey yeti!

I am so sad to hear how you felt - and let me tell you: you're not alone. I suffer from this kind of depression from time to time (actually, I had another "episode" from 20-22th of September...), too. I know how bad you feel, and I am seconding M - just overcome the urge to hide and talk to people who are close to you, he is so damn right about the part with the surprising.

You can do it, my dear. Don't let your brain and some hormones knock you out, because ...

WHO DO YO THINK WE ARE! *hugs* The Black Knights and the Brigade are with you!

Thanks! It's kind of overwhelming and really quite inspiring seeing so many people coming out and saying that they know how it feels, and that it can be beaten. I did crawl out of my hidey hole eventually, and my housemates were actually really quite good about what had happened, surprisingly.

Heh, too right, I can beat this!

Just dropping in to say hello and send you some more light.  Thinking of you!

:peaceful:

Thank you :)

Yeti, I am happy you are back, and I am proud of you for crawling out your hidey hole. Hehe, yep, it can be surprising that your environment won't beat you up because of such things, can't it? *friendly nudge* So, we send you tons of positive energy to rip week #2 into tiny pieces and that your brain doesn't troll you again too soon and even if it tries, that you can b*tchslap it for this kind of disbehaving ;-)

And I highly recommend to follow M's advices ..argh, pieces of advice on this topic, since he has some experience with depressive people by accident ... *whistle, playing innocent*

One last word: if you are in a situation like this again, don't hesitate telling us. Although we might exist to you just as avatars and forum posts, we are still one Brigade (consisting of crazy people who are seriously nuts ...), and we're there to help each other, disregarding what kind of difficulty crashes in. Nobody deserves to be trolled by such things and being kept from a better self.

The voices in my head might not be real. But sometimes they have AMAZING ideas.

STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 1 WIS 1 CHA 1 - Respawned Level 1 Human Monk

Challenge Jan 5 - Feb 15, 2015

Day: ...um...

Time: 09:52

Conditions: SUNSUNSUNSUNSUN

Current song: Infected Mushroom - Bass Nipple

So I may have gotten a little kicked out of the site for a while...?

Catch Up/Daily Report

So the last time I was around here it was all doom and gloom and hiding and weeping into a pillow, but that's ok. It happens. Yes, I put a dent in my challenge because of it, but that's not the end of the world. Actually, it's a far smaller dent that I would have thought, considering. I reckon this should be done goal by goal for simplicity, so here we go:

Goal One: Pedal

Song: Redlight King - Something For the Pain

Surprisingly, I did get a visit to Nevis Range. ...but I wasn't on my bike. I was marshalling for a brutal race by the name of Tour De Ben Nevis. 72km of hilly hell for the poor mob of cyclists competing. I'm happy to bypass week one's visit on account of the weather was crap and too windy for most of it. And I've also found out that one of the major trails is closed due to the forestry commission doing whatever the forestry commission does at trail centres. I should be able to continue with the few trails that are open, so it's not so bad.

As far as the two long distance rides... One. I'm not sure I'd call it incredibly long distance, but it was fourteen miles and included one bastard of a hill, which takes care of the final part of this goal quite nicely.

So the DEX part of this goal went somewhat skew-if this week, but the STA part actually comes out at, what, two of three things done so... I suck at working out percentages. I'm trying to think of it as a wheel, so it would translate to two thirds, which is more than 50% and less than 75%. 65% maybe? I'll come back to that at some point never.

Goal two: Miles to Go

Song: Xavier Rudd - Breeze

Hah. No ML day for the Yeti. I wanted to count Nevis Range, I really did, but we took the van up. Heh, not quite a hike really. I did spend eleven hours on my feet, but most of that was either standing around or running up and down sections of Blue Crane to try and take pictures of the competitors. It's amusing how many of them mistook me for the official photographer when really I was just a nutty marshal with a camera...

Anyway. I did slightly worse on this one. Two suitably long night walks to relieve my varying stresses, but only one run. Well. Maybe we should call it a fast waddle? I jogged, then I fell over thin air and hobbled for a while, then I forgot how to use my legs entirely and just wobbled back up the hill. So that's three sessions missed, which is the limit of what I will allow for myself from now on, especially now the uni has started up the practical days again this year. There will be a mountain day this week thanks to them!

Goal three: Muscle and Iron

Song: The Animals - House of the Rising Sun

Surprisingly, this was my most successful one. I did actually have a weekly plan for last week, even if it never made it online. I even followed most of it. All the yoga got done, 95% of the bodyweight exercises got done, and I even spent a little quality time with my dumbbell and attempting to beat the hell out of my shadow. Gotta love shadow sparring...

So I think I can actually give myself an A for this week, because the missing 5% is kinda negligible. Yay? Yay.

There are some changes on the horizon for this. First off, that damned gym membership! I'm getting it tomorrow. I'm also investigating a potential Muay Thai class, and then taking swimming off the cards for this challenge. New tattoos and chlorine don't go together. If I can fit in a couple of sessions before I get it then brilliant, if not, no big deal. I'll think of something to replace swimming.

Life Goal: Be Pre-emptive

Song: The King Blues - The Future's Not What It Used to Be

Mostly a success, for a change. Admittedly I do need to catch up on the few lectures I've missed, but that's easy enough done. I reckon a solid B for this one, all things considered.

Shiny camera update:

I did promise... Only a few, because I haven't had a chance to take it into the mountains and really go for it.

DSC_0056-Copy.jpg?t=1379929576

What can I say? I like rocks. Saw this little one sitting on top of a boulder bigger than I am and decided to go for it.

DSC_0064.jpg?t=1379929625

I'm particularly proud of this one. The camera does macro shooting really well for a basic 18-55 lens, gotta say.

DSC_0178-Copy.jpg?t=1379929752

This is my mate Ronan going hell for leather into an insanely slick rock garden (just out of shot). I was stationed up at the last timed section, which happened to be a downhill trail. Lucky me!

DSC_0238-Copy.jpg?t=1379929858

This is Mike. Mike is one of the most amazing human beings I know. He's actually going pretty damn fast there, not that you'd guess from the shot. Amazing what a stable platform and a fast shutter speed can achieve.

There are a few more from that day on Facebook, if anyone wants a peek I made the album public and I think this here should link to where the pictures start. Hopefully that link works...

I'll come back later this evening with an update for today and yesterday, maybe even a few shiny new pictures, if the weather stays nice.

Yeti, I am happy you are back, and I am proud of you for crawling out your hidey hole. Hehe, yep, it can be surprising that your environment won't beat you up because of such things, can't it? *friendly nudge* So, we send you tons of positive energy to rip week #2 into tiny pieces and that your brain doesn't troll you again too soon and even if it tries, that you can b*tchslap it for this kind of disbehaving ;-)

And I highly recommend to follow M's advices ..argh, pieces of advice on this topic, since he has some experience with depressive people by accident ... *whistle, playing innocent*

One last word: if you are in a situation like this again, don't hesitate telling us. Although we might exist to you just as avatars and forum posts, we are still one Brigade (consisting of crazy people who are seriously nuts ...), and we're there to help each other, disregarding what kind of difficulty crashes in. Nobody deserves to be trolled by such things and being kept from a better self.

The brain trolling isn't fun, but I'm hoping getting myself properly set up into an exercise routine again is going to minimise the chances of it happening too seriously or too soon.

Heh, M does have some pretty sound advice, this is true.

Believe me, I won't hesitate. I've learned the hard way that keeping silent about these things is a bad way to go. You guys are amazing (and yes, crazy nuts, but in a good way :P), and I'm grateful to have such a great group of people at my back.

Welcome back, yeti! I'm so glad you were able to share your struggles with us so we could encourge you!

M, thank you so much for that amazing link. I want to e-mail this woman and become best friends with her. I've dealt with severe chronic depression all my life and I am currently writing a book about depression management, so I feel like a kindred spirit!

Level 2 

Dwarf Ranger

STR 2     |     DEX 1     |     STA 4     |     CON 3     |     WIS 3     |     CHA 0

Current Challenge: Give Peas a Chance!

1st Challenge: Buggalo Begins!

''Life is hard. You are hard. I don't see the problem." - Coach

THE GURREN BRIGADE!

"Think about all the things you'd wish other people had done for, or with, you. Then do those things for other people.

Then, smash barriers and laugh a lot while shouting "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?!" - Hero                                                                                                                      

Seeing your pics is so amazing!  Looks like you and your new toy are getting to know each other ;)  Really great shots of your rider friends, and great macro shots.  I love few things in the world more than purple flowers  :)

New tattoos!?!  We're going to need snaps of those as well...  

Musical Note (hehe) -- I LURVE Xavier Rudd.  That is all.  :)

Have a great day!!

Level 2 Amazon Druid

Wow nice pictures! Those are the kind of really well done pictures of a fun time that when you see them, it makes you go "Man! I wish my life was cool and fun like that!" haha.

I'm late on the uptake here. I didn't know what was going on until right now. I just wanted to say, first of all, that I'm glad things are looking up now. And you know how many of us share this struggle. Personally, if you ever need to wallow with someone, I'm here to listen (read). Looks like you did an awesome job getting through it and even accomplishing a bunch of stuff regardless of the depression. Yay for that!

I'm with Buggs, though. We're going to need pics of the new tattoo!!!!

Level 2 Fire Elemental

Druid

STR |1 DEX | 3 STA | 3 CON | 3 WIS | 1 CHA

First Challenge; Current Challenge

The hardcore, intense, bitchin', BEST team ever: The Dai-Gurren Brigade

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE!!?!!?

Rawr!  Keep going!  You are doing great!  Good luck with the Muay Thai class!  It always looks so scary to me with the legs flying arms chopping.

Nice shinny camera!  Pictures look super awesome!  Rawrness!  :D

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines