Nymeria

Week 1 recap:

Goal 1 - new tricks: I'm feeling good about this one.  Bridge to standing is comfortable at 4" assist.  Flying crow is 10+ seconds with a bent leg and 3-4 seconds with a straight one; I finally got off of the ground with the double arm lever.  Forearm stand and side crow are getting stronger, too.

Goal 2 - splits program: 2/15; pike-down dog: 3/15.  I'm right on track.

Goal 3 - diet:  As much as I thought I'd blow the goal by having a drink, I held off and had some calming tea instead.  I squeaked in with 10 points on the week.  Right on track for this one.

Autoregulation: I think I've done a good job of always warming up and trying something, and then modifying my workout based on how I'm feeling.

Cleaning: 7/7 on the week.

Challenge-wise, I've had a great start to the challenge, despite the otherwise stressful and trying week.

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Hey there!

Good job on your first week, especially with all the real life stuff you had going on, on top of your challenge tasks.

I love spaghetti squash!  Another great substitute for pasta is to use zucchini. I cut it julienne, although I also got a vegetable spiralizer, which is much more fun, and makes much more spaghetti-like strands.

W2D1 update:

30 minutes advanced combo yoga.  I'm getting much better at the half moon pose where you grab your leg and pull it back.  I'm also getting better at keeping my balance through the extended hand to big toe + rotations.

Skill: kept it simple today and worked on adding a hop to my crow, rather than leaning into it.  So, I started in a crouched tabletop position with my legs maybe 6 inches from my arms, hopped, and then absorbed the momentum into a crow pose.  I'm actually becoming halfway decent at this.  Maybe one day I'll be able to do the full down dog leap into crow.

Tried standing from bridge, but I'm really just not there yet. 

Strength:

30 pull-ups.  5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, with each set starting with a full deadhang.  I'm not sure if I've ever before done 30 pull-ups on the same day.

3 sets of handstand push-ups.  I'm still only at about 4" of ROM, though.

and a little bit of playground fun with weighted (koala son) inverted bodyweight rows.

No stretching modules today.  I'll have to double up tomorrow.

Diet has been perfect so far.  Go me!  I weighed myself on my gym scale and was 148.6 lbs while still clothed.  It's weird for me to see kind of rapid weight loss.  Since my anxiety has been out of control lately, things like that make me worry that there's something wrong with me, rather than celebrating the fact that exercise + clean eating = fat loss.

And I did the first flylady mission of the week.  I'm glad that the tasks for this week are mostly decluttering ones, since that's what tends to become really problematic in my house.

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

nice, big thumbs up for the diet ;)

keep at it, always fun to read how you're doing :D

Level 10 Bleu Gardien Assassin of the Lanomia Clan

Buddhist, Traceur, Martial Artist, Assassin, Templar

Strenght: 22 Constitution: 9 Dexterity: 4 Wisdom: 12 Stamina: 11 Charisma: 5
- My Epic Quest: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/28629-an-assassins-epic-quest/
- My Tenth-th Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56054-cobaltswords-journey-chapter-10/

- Daily Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51677-cobaltswords-journey/

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle" - "Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

You're doing great! Since I don't have kids I'm sure I can't even imagine the frustration you must be feeling, however I still think you're doing pretty awesome in dealing with things. 

At some point i'd absolutely love to see a video of all those new skills you've been working on. That flying crow seems insane :) I kinda want to follow in your footsteps when competition season is over, so I'm using you for inspiration, hope you dont mind!

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Thanks to doing too many pull ups and HSPUs yesterday, I didn't have much left in the tank today.  So, I did as close to a full rest day as I ever let myself do.  Meaning, I did both the splits and pike-down dog modules, some relaxation yoga (kind of light stretching + meditation/breathing), and I did a quickie video of the flying crow and my little, baby hops into crow for KBGirl.

Thanks for all of the compliments on the pull-ups.  I kind of feel like a cheater, though.  I only do a full deadhang pull up on the first one in the set, and on the subsequent pull-ups, I go 95% of the way down, but not into a full deadhang.  For some reason, I can't do the bounce back from going down into a deadhang into pulling up out of one.  I just get stuck.

Diet-wise, a bowl of popcorn cost me a point last night.  I've been clean so far today, and I'm very content with having 1 point/day of "bad" stuff.  I'm losing weight, so it seems to be working.  A couple hours ago, I started a crock pot of butternut squash & lentil stew, so that should give me several healthy meals this week.

Cleaning-wise, I'm right on track and finished the second flylady mission of the week.

And my son hasn't had a potty accident at school so far this week.  All of that worrying over the weekend for nothing.  ;P

My tutorials:

Thanks to doing too many pull ups and HSPUs yesterday, I didn't have much left in the tank today.  So, I did as close to a full rest day as I ever let myself do.  Meaning, I did both the splits and pike-down dog modules, some relaxation yoga (kind of light stretching + meditation/breathing), and I did a quickie video of the flying crow and my little, baby hops into crow for KBGirl.

Thanks for all of the compliments on the pull-ups.  I kind of feel like a cheater, though.  I only do a full deadhang pull up on the first one in the set, and on the subsequent pull-ups, I go 95% of the way down, but not into a full deadhang.  For some reason, I can't do the bounce back from going down into a deadhang into pulling up out of one.  I just get stuck.

Diet-wise, a bowl of popcorn cost me a point last night.  I've been clean so far today, and I'm very content with having 1 point/day of "bad" stuff.  I'm losing weight, so it seems to be working.  A couple hours ago, I started a crock pot of butternut squash & lentil stew, so that should give me several healthy meals this week.

Cleaning-wise, I'm right on track and finished the second flylady mission of the week.

And my son hasn't had a potty accident at school so far this week.  All of that worrying over the weekend for nothing.  ;P

LOVE your demo. I'm gonna have to try that one. :) I'm sure having the wall close by is extra handy just in case you need it!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

Oh, how I wish I could find the conversation from a few challenges back - I think it was catspaw and Waldo, actually, talking about strict deadhang pull-ups vs. what you're doing - I seem to remember the result was that the favored technique is exactly what you're doing - start from a deadhang, then continue without going all the way back down. Keeps you from developing shoulder problems from the deadhang, but works nearly the entire range of motion. So don't worry too much about cheating!

Also, flying crow is impressive!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

looks good Nym, i'm gonna try the flying crow for myself ^^

no worries, pull-ups are pull-ups, variations count XD just keep at it :P

thumbs up for your son for having no potty accidents ;)

Level 10 Bleu Gardien Assassin of the Lanomia Clan

Buddhist, Traceur, Martial Artist, Assassin, Templar

Strenght: 22 Constitution: 9 Dexterity: 4 Wisdom: 12 Stamina: 11 Charisma: 5
- My Epic Quest: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/28629-an-assassins-epic-quest/
- My Tenth-th Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56054-cobaltswords-journey-chapter-10/

- Daily Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51677-cobaltswords-journey/

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle" - "Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

W2D3 update:

Felt icky and had a splitting headache.  Still went climbing.  After the adrenaline kicked in, it was an okay day.  I flashed a V2.  I'm still struggling a lot with a new-ish V3, and I did half of the moves for a V4.  I'm disappointed, since I thought I'd get the V3, but since I was feeling sick, I guess I did pretty well, all things considered.

Diet was not so good today.  Having a headache + nausea means I want to eat salty cracker stuff and drink ginger ale.  3 points today (!) and 4 on the week so far.

My tutorials:

Stopping in to tell you how awesome you are. I keep following by email and forgetting to actually say something because I don't like typing on my phone and reasons. 

But seriously I'm so impressed by what you do. You're like a donut filled with energy and sprinkled with awesome. I'm seriously in awe of all that you've achieved so far and what you're achieving every day. Keep going like that, I'll stalk from the sidelines. ;)

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

apfelstrudi learns to outrun shamblers | Instagram challenge

Oh, how I wish I could find the conversation from a few challenges back - I think it was catspaw and Waldo, actually, talking about strict deadhang pull-ups vs. what you're doing - I seem to remember the result was that the favored technique is exactly what you're doing - start from a deadhang, then continue without going all the way back down. Keeps you from developing shoulder problems from the deadhang, but works nearly the entire range of motion. So don't worry too much about cheating!

Also, flying crow is impressive!

That's interesting.  I might wander over to the "Ask Waldo" thread just to directly get a response.  It doesn't seem to hurt my shoulders if I go into a deadhang again.  I just get stuck.

Flying crow ended up being much easier than I had initially thought.  The trickiest part was figuring out that it's much easier to have the back leg extended if I can extend it fully while still on the ground, and then pick it up that way.  Lifting it while bent, and then trying to remain stable while slowly extending the leg is really tough.  That might be a good long term goal for me, though.

My tutorials:

I'm still feeling really off.  It's kind of like having a really low grade, multiple-day migraine.  Bleh.  More ginger ale and junk.  2 more diet points.  :(

I still managed an okay (if very simple) workout.  I did:

15 minutes of yoga

and my splits module. 

No skill work, since I feel blah and my wrists are sore from bouldering yesterday.  Plus, tomorrow will be my last day to play around at the new climbing gym before the 2 week trial expires.  I'd love to be as fresh as possible for the nasty overhanging routes there.

So far, I'm at 4/15 on each module for this challenge, and 6/10 diet points for the week.

I also managed to finish the (totally awful) flylady mission for the day.  I'm still right on track, with 4 missions complete this week.

I guess for the autoregulation goal, I'm going with kind of nebulous grading, rather than the daily pass/fail.  It seems like I pretty much always want to do climbing or skill work, no matter how I'm feeling.  I never want to do hardcore flexibility training, no matter how I'm feeling.  I can pretty easily customize the strenuousness of a yoga workout to my energy levels and soreness, and I don't have much of a problem with making myself do at least 15 minutes of something.   So, for those areas, I'm at a point where I may sometimes have to reign myself in a bit for the climbing or skill stuff, and I have to ignore my body and force things a bit for the stretching.

The tricky part is the strength training or any HIIT, since it can be a little too easy for me to slack on that.  I may have to "schedule" in strength days and HIIT days, and then only pull back if I'm really, truly not feeling it.  Last challenge, I over-scheduled the strength work.  This time, I feel like I'm under scheduling it. 

My tutorials:

Hope your head feels better soon. Cheating or not on the pullups, I like the idea. I am so frustrated that I am plateaued at 1 pullup. I am going to try that method of not going all the way down and see if it helps. I'd like to be able to do 2 pullups, even if it is a cheat :) 

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Strength:

30 pull-ups.  5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, with each set starting with a full deadhang.  I'm not sure if I've ever before done 30 pull-ups on the same day.

Holy shit!  Even if they're not strict deadhang, that's pretty freaking impressive right there!

W2D3 update:

Felt icky and had a splitting headache.  Still went climbing.  After the adrenaline kicked in, it was an okay day.  I flashed a V2.  I'm still struggling a lot with a new-ish V3, and I did half of the moves for a V4.  I'm disappointed, since I thought I'd get the V3, but since I was feeling sick, I guess I did pretty well, all things considered.

Diet was not so good today.  Having a headache + nausea means I want to eat salty cracker stuff and drink ginger ale.  3 points today (!) and 4 on the week so far.

You gotta cut yourself some slack on the eating when you're genuinely feeling crappy.  Pushing "healthy" food can certainly make you feel much worse.

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

So I tried your "rolling wild thing to backbend" thing, and I totally couldn't get it.  I'm not sure, it might be stiffness in the supporting wrist, but I can't make it back onto the free hand with the supporting wrist in place.  Any thoughts?  I know yours isn't entirely super polished either, but hey... you're further than I am!

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

After reading this post I was gonna say that I'm glad things are looking up for you! But ofcourse then I read you weren't feeling 100% so meh. Life and its ups and downs huh. At least you're not sick with worry anymore! 

Thank you so much for the video :) That looks really great, I actually got up to try it but well you can guess the result, haha. I'll keep on practicing though, I almost got the sidecrow yesterday. 

The animal flow video is also great, actually really similar to the finish of my warming up with the crab reach etc. Gonna try some of that too. 

I've got this crow/crab walk I know you would like learning, but when looking for it this is what I found; (lol!)

I'll try to get it on video next time, it's something you'd probably kill in one try.

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines