RFG's 3-3-3 Challenge

Random Forum Guy

Last challenge, I discovered that yoga and walking (and other cardio/interval exercises) are a good fit for me. Also, though I was successful with the Warrior Diet, I don't think it's as stable or sustainable in the long run as a moderation diet. This challenge I'm focusing on these areas. The last challenge was simpler--an attempt to recover from my previous mostly failed challenge. This time, I'm going to make it challenging. If I can even get 75% I'll be happy, just want to shoot high this time. I feel like I'm ready for more of a challenge this time. 

So here is my 3-3-3 plan. I will fill in details re: attribute points and scoring later.

• Main Quest -- Fit into those pants! Still ultimately aiming to fit into my size 34 pants

• 3 hours of yoga per week, including at least two times during the week. No cramming it all in on the weekend! Points will be based off % of maximum 18 hours for the challenge. Strength +1 Dexterity +2 Stamina +1 Charisma +1

• 3 hours of walking or any other exercise each week. At least two hours during the week. Points will be based off % of maximum 18 hours for the challenge. Stamina +2 Constitution +1 Charisma +2

• 3 moderate meals per day. This is really tough for me, as I have a tendency to overeat. I will be eating more slowly and mindfully, focusing on chewing completely and pausing frequently. Obviously "moderate" is a bit nebulous, but I can easily tell (based on how I feel afterward) what is moderate and what is excessive. I will allow myself 3 "excessive" meals over the whole challenge for any special occasions, but I plan to eat moderately even in those situations. Bonus points if I don't use them. Also, only allowing myself 3 "fake" foods per week. "Fake" includes anything with lots of artificial ingredients, heavily processed/packaged foods, or excessive sugar/sweeteners.  Some examples would include packaged sweets (Twinkies, etc), sodas (including diet), and fast food (McD's, etc). Points will be based off % of maximum 126 meals for the challenge. Constitution +2 Charisma +3

Here we go!

Cave Dweller Druid, Level 4

STR: 5 | DEX: 5 | STA: 9 | CON: 10 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 8 Start:1/2/1/3/6/2

Thanks all! I think it will be tough, but I need a tough challenge this time :)

cool plan. Sounds easier to remember the 3-3-3 than whatever-it-was-i-called-mine

I hope you have emergency safe foods for if you get hungry or crave things, or are you going to try to ride things out?

enjoy your weeks  :topsy_turvy:

Yeah that's a good idea... I always have a bunch of dates in my fridge. They are my go-to whole food "dessert"--super sweet and they usually satisfy me. Also keep Lara bars handy, as they just have a few ingredients. My favorite is Cherry Pie, which just has dates, cashews, and unsweetened dried cherries. But I try to avoid those as they are addictive and pretty high calorie, although they are "good" food. But I need to get some more fresh fruit/veggies to always have on hand when I get snacky...

Week 1 - Cumulative Progress

Walking 60/180min

Yoga 41/180min

Moderation 5/21

Oh noes! Fell into a convenience store trap and ended up getting a Diet Coke :( so that's one of my three already for the week. Man it tastes good, even though I know I will feel like crap after and throws off my appetite. 

Not really planning meals, but I've got it pretty easy there. Usually i'm not that hungry in the morning so I'll just grab some fruit or a hardboiled egg. Lunch is usually leftovers. My better half is the chef of the family, and cooks great, healthful meals, so I've got no problems with dinner. 

Week 1 - Cumulative Progress

Walking 180/180min -- Goal Complete!
Yoga 181/180min -- Goal Complete!
Moderation 16/21
Free Passes 3/3 -- all gone :/ 

Got all my walking/exercise and Yoga in this week! Moderation is not going as well as I had hoped, and I think it's partly due to my over-restrictive guidelines. I've since found out that I do not have food allergies or sensitivities, so my obsessive avoidance of certain things is not really warranted. That being said, I still want to minimize intake of processed and refined foods, while still being flexible. The most important thing is moderation. I want to be able to eat a wide variety of foods, including some of my favorites. Otherwise it starts taking on the feel of a restrictive "diet," and that never works. Will be revising later today...

Yoga is awesome! I've picked up a few more DVDs/instant streaming stuff to add variety.  Unfortunately I tweaked my back Friday evening (not while doing yoga), so couldn't finish my yoga for the week. The fact that I was depressed about not being able to do yoga says a lot! I picked up some blocks and a strap as well to help with certain exercies.  

Diet has been VERY rocky, but I expected it would be the biggest hurdle for me. On to Week 3...

Week 3 - Cumulative Progress

Walking 30/180min
Yoga 0/180min
Moderation 2/21
Free Passes 0/3 

Hi RFG! I really like how you're scoring this challenge - it's simple and straightforward and easy to remember.

As for the moderation thing, maybe you need to have some substitutions for things you know you tend to grab? I know for avoiding soda, I started buying flavored (unsweetened) sparkling waters - not the kind that are like soda, but the kind (I think the brand is La Croix) that just have orange and sparkling water - no sugar or salt. They taste "soda-ish" and give me the fizzy fix without blowing my diet or sticking me with a huge sugar spike. (Also I can drink them at D&D night and people don't think I'm being weird not having sodas with them).

Also, what kind of yoga DVDs do you use? I've been experimenting with beginner yoga workouts, and found a few channels on youtube that are pretty good, but I'd love to expand my options!

Level 3 Human Druid

[sTR: 3] [DEX:8] [sTA:5] [CON:9] [WIS:8] [CHA:2]

Previous Challenge Thread: A Wild Anna Appears

Current Challenge Thread: Just one Anna, Just TWO challenges!

Walking to Lothlorien: On the road south of Rivendell

Twitter: @justanna

That is a good idea... I may need to pick up some La Croix--thanks!

The best DVD I've found for me is called "Yoga for Inflexible People" by BodyWisdom media. Its got tons of exercises and routines, so it doesn't get redundant. I also cruise the free stuff on Amazon Instant video.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines