A joedog of a Certain Age

joedog

Hi all! Finally had the discussion with the doc about my knees. She told me to RICE, load up on ibuprofen and call back in 2 weeks if it still hurts. She also told me that I was at an age when I might have to accept that my knee was going to give me limitations. (She also told me not to ride my bike because it's too hot to work outside right now. Ummm, don't tell my job that!) This caused me a great deal of frustration. Yes, I'm nearly 38 years old. No, I haven't taken the best care of my body. Yes, I've played rough sports and worked way too hard. Trust me, I accept a certain amount of pain! I don't accept that I have to just accept all of it. I know there are things I can do.

Main Quest
I'm still working on losing weight. Goal is 200 lbs by Dec 2014. I need to lose 7 lbs per month to reach my goal.

My goals are going to sound a bit like a broken record.

Goal 1: Strength 3x per week. Like last challenge, working on balance and getting my body in a better position. Every day is leg day! 3x = A, 2x = B, 1x = C, 0x = F. Grading for the challenge will be based on weekly average.

Goal 2: Walking 3x per week. Plan is for 2 of these to be short 30 minute out and backs from the house, working on pace. My plan is for the third to be more of a day hike focusing on longer distance and more difficult terrain. 3x = A, 2x = B, 1x = C. Grading for challenge will be based on weekly average.

Goal 3: Eats. I'm going back to calorie counting. My target is 2250/day based on weekly average. I'm also shooting for a minimum of 130 g of protein per day and planning to get all the calories from whole foods. I'm not going to call it paleo or primal but I am going to try to be very conscious of grains and dairy. I'm not necessarily intolerant but dairy messes with my asthma and grains seem to beget grains in my diet. Within 5% of calories = A, within 10% of calories = B, within 15% = C, greater than 15% = F.

Goal 4: In the moment. I spend way too much time and energy worrying about things I can't control and fretting over things that have happened in the past. Intellectually I know that I'm killing myself. Emotionally I still can't kick it. I'm going to revisit meditation this challenge. I'm going to spend 15 minutes per day before I go to bed in reflection. This can be meditation, journaling, working on my "Playbook", or just reflecting on the ups and downs of the day. Reflecting, not obsessing. 5/7 = A, 4/7 = B, 3/7 = C, 2/7 = D, <2 = F

Motivation:

I want to be able to do things without worrying about my weight. A year ago I was unable to ride a roller coaster because they couldn't get the bar to latch. One of the absolutely most humiliating moments of my life. When my friends talk about planning activities, I have to take my weight into account. There are so many things I can't do because the safety equipment is not designed to handle my weight and size. But mostly I want to be able to get out and experience the natural wonders in the area where I live.

Hughes Mountain: 

syzejuga.jpg

Pickle Springs: 

ajy7eran.jpg

uzupy5eq.jpg

And one more of Molly. She's settling in just fine! 

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Welcome back Jo.  We'll show your doctor that "screw that certain age"!!

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

It's amazing that doctors can be so stupid about the very things they are supposed to be smart about. Argh.

Anyway, looks like another good challenge, and I hope that you plan to sustain your anti-sugar campaign for another six weeks--it did great things for you last time, and I think that it will probably help with your goal 4 as well!

Subbed!

Level 7 Ranger, Perpetual Newbie

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

Mary Oliver

Welcome back Jo.  We'll show your doctor that "screw that certain age"!!

Hi Blaidd! That's right. She provided me some great motivation! 

It's amazing that doctors can be so stupid about the very things they are supposed to be smart about. Argh.

Anyway, looks like another good challenge, and I hope that you plan to sustain your anti-sugar campaign for another six weeks--it did great things for you last time, and I think that it will probably help with your goal 4 as well!

Subbed!

I'm not going to be 100% sugar free since my birthday is this challenge. I share my birthday with Amy's Mom and skipping dessert on your birthday is not allowed. Honestly, though, the cravings have mostly subsided. My new rule on sugar is once in a while in social settings. In other words, no candy bars alone in my truck while driving.  :D

And to answer your question from my old thread, yes, women do seem to have more knee problems. It has to do with the differences in our pelvis that aid in child birth. I've also heard but seen no proof that estrogen is rougher on cartilage. 

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Yeeeeeaaaahhhh Joeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Level 11 Human Ranger

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not."

"Once a person is determined to help themselves, there is nothing that can stop them."

CURRENT CHALLENGE   1 2 3  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   DAILY BATTLE LOG     MOTIVATION

(Inventory: Fire Flower)

Winner of Adventurer Guild Challenge #26

Sub'd to the awesome!!!!! :triumphant:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Looking like you are well set up for this one Jo!

I have been finding that the less sugar I have the more mental I go when I do have it... Watch for it, and the crash after. I feel it all so much more now!

Aussie Bush Ranger - Training with the Monks

'I'll fight but not surrender', cried the wild colonial... GRRL!

Project 365 - Becoming BatGirl

Current Challenge

Good to see you back for more Jo :) I like your goals, nice and simple.

You know that 100% you got last challenge on sugar? I'd like to see it this time on this one:

Goal 2:  Walking 3x per week

I reckon you can do it :positive:

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

60 days to 5k (July-Sep 2021)

So this wideeyed is 48, and has knee troubles. Friday night, I freaking destroyed it by dancing at the Jane's Addiction/Alice in Chains show for two hours.

We'll limp together and smash the challenge :)

I am joining the Y so that I can swim when I need to.

Also, I found this information interesting. Going to try the stretches as soon as it hurts a little less:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/kneepainandinjuries/a/IT_Band_Pain.htm

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

Yeeeeeaaaahhhh Joeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Ems!  

Sub'd to the awesome!!!!! :triumphant:

Yay! I get dancing in my thread too! 

Looking like you are well set up for this one Jo!

I have been finding that the less sugar I have the more mental I go when I do have it... Watch for it, and the crash after. I feel it all so much more now!

Yeah, sugar is bad for everything. And I really want to get as many of the chemicals out of my diet as possible. It's a work in progress but I'm getting there. 

'broken record'

That's fine.  Slow and steady wins the race, my friend.  Good luck.

Thanks! I'm still building training habits. I haven't made enough progress to need to switch my goals. I may be a slow finisher but I will finish this race better than I started. 

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Good to see you back for more Jo :) I like your goals, nice and simple.

You know that 100% you got last challenge on sugar? I'd like to see it this time on this one:

Goal 2:  Walking 3x per week

I reckon you can do it :positive:

Perfect motivation! If you only knew how many times during the last challenge I said, "If Dom can stay sugar free, I can stay sugar free". I guess this challenge will be "If Dom believes I can do it, then I believe I can do it!" 

So this wideeyed is 48, and has knee troubles. Friday night, I freaking destroyed it by dancing at the Jane's Addiction/Alice in Chains show for two hours.

We'll limp together and smash the challenge :)

I am joining the Y so that I can swim when I need to.

Also, I found this information interesting. Going to try the stretches as soon as it hurts a little less:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/kneepainandinjuries/a/IT_Band_Pain.htm

Jane's Addiction/Alice in Chains? I'm jealous. That's a worthy way to mess up a knee. My IT band definitely seems to be contributing to the problem. Those stretches should help a bunch! Thanks for the link! 

Good luck Joedog! Good to see you back again!Ilove that you put what your doctor said as your challenge title! You rock!

Thanks Leeroy! She didn't give me a lot of advice but at least she pissed me off enough to motivate me along! 

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

All of my goals and grading are updated. Still need to add stat points. Got the motivation completed including pics of some places I would like to visit and Mollydog! 

I went on a major carb binge yesterday and subsequently felt like poo. I wonder how many times I'll have to stick my finger in that particular light socket before I get it.   :distracted:

I didn't set myself up to have a particularly great day today. I will salvage what I can and eat ALL the protein tomorrow. 

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

All of my goals and grading are updated. Still need to add stat points. Got the motivation completed including pics of some places I would like to visit and Mollydog! 

I went on a major carb binge yesterday and subsequently felt like poo. I wonder how many times I'll have to stick my finger in that particular light socket before I get it.   :distracted:

I didn't set myself up to have a particularly great day today. I will salvage what I can and eat ALL the protein tomorrow. 

Sometimes I don't think I'll ever stop sticking my finger in that light socket! LOL

Fabulous looking challenge, sister. Molly is too adorbs! Let's get this party started!

Level 11 Unicorn Ranger

Current Challenge

Previous Challenges 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

“Decorum is highly overrated and probably causes cancer.”  ~ Jenny Lawson

Another person I have simply failed to hop in and follow before.   *face palm*  What planet have I been smoking?!   

Great goals and plan!  

And rew-scray your octor-day!  Man count me in the group that finds that so freaking annoying!     Last winter, I battled a flare up of low back pain for about six months.   Long story short - after several different opinions, varying Rx of rest or therapy (I hate bad PT people) and NO results... I started working out on my own and joined NF for support and guidance.   I followed the path of, "Start slow, don't do anything that hurts the trouble area, but build up strength for it."   I've been pain free for 6 months now and am trying to keep this up for life so that I don't have another relapse.   

Subbed for good measure! ;)

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Well, if you're anything like me, probably enough times you're hair is gonna get really curly! :playful:

Hope the day gets better, and Here is a happy dance just to start it on the right path!! lol

:triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:  Yeah joedog!!!!

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

OMG Pickle Springs.  I frigging love cave-ish places.  That looks awesome.  That really sucks about the rollercoaster.  Truth be told, I never go to those kinds of places in case something like that ever happened.  That and I'd need to pop a whole bottle of dramamine.

Ah little Molly is cuuuute :)

I like your motivation, probably the best feeling having dropped my weight is that I can do anything I want. My buddy invited me to play badminton, no problem, I can play it and actually enjoy it and not be wrecked afterwards. When I first started walking I was exhausted and sore after 3 miles, a few weeks of consistently doing it changed that. You did an amazing job with the sugar last challenge and you really pushed me along too, I didn't want to let you down. You've proved the strength to follow through is in there, time to apply it to your walking goal.

I'm struggling with my mobilization quest. I'll do you a deal, if you 100% your walking I promise I will 100% my mobilization. Up for it?

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

60 days to 5k (July-Sep 2021)

Hi! I came over from Superheroes. I love that your goals are taking what you know works for you and tweaking them slightly. Boring is the best way to success. And Molly is maybe the cutest thing I've ever seen.

"I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul" -WEH

• Current Challenge: The 6 Labors
  • Level 5 Amazon Assassin

Love the additional motivation pictures!! And Molly pic! Who would have abandoned that face??

Level 7 Ranger, Perpetual Newbie

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

Mary Oliver

I have a big long list of things that I have done simply because others have told me I couldn't....

being alive is one of them ;)

you got this man... you can tell that doctor where to shove her "limitations" ;)

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Sometimes I don't think I'll ever stop sticking my finger in that light socket! LOL

Fabulous looking challenge, sister. Molly is too adorbs! Let's get this party started!

I'm getting better with the socket but sometimes I still have to check. Party started here! 

Another person I have simply failed to hop in and follow before.   *face palm*  What planet have I been smoking?!   

Great goals and plan!  

And rew-scray your octor-day!  Man count me in the group that finds that so freaking annoying!     Last winter, I battled a flare up of low back pain for about six months.   Long story short - after several different opinions, varying Rx of rest or therapy (I hate bad PT people) and NO results... I started working out on my own and joined NF for support and guidance.   I followed the path of, "Start slow, don't do anything that hurts the trouble area, but build up strength for it."   I've been pain free for 6 months now and am trying to keep this up for life so that I don't have another relapse.   

Subbed for good measure! ;)

She's a pretty good doc for most things. It just really hit me wrong. I work in heavy highway construction. Before that I was in a rock quarry. We have never once cancelled work because it was too hot. And I know the knee is mostly caused by a muscle imbalance. Main thing was confirming that I didn't have a ligament tear. She confirmed that. Me and KStar can figure it out from there.   :D

Well, if you're anything like me, probably enough times you're hair is gonna get really curly! :playful:

Hope the day gets better, and Here is a happy dance just to start it on the right path!! lol

Yeah joedog!!!!

Yay happy dance! Thanks! 

Ah little Molly is cuuuute 

I like your motivation, probably the best feeling having dropped my weight is that I can do anything I want. My buddy invited me to play badminton, no problem, I can play it and actually enjoy it and not be wrecked afterwards. When I first started walking I was exhausted and sore after 3 miles, a few weeks of consistently doing it changed that. You did an amazing job with the sugar last challenge and you really pushed me along too, I didn't want to let you down. You've proved the strength to follow through is in there, time to apply it to your walking goal.

I'm struggling with my mobilization quest. I'll do you a deal, if you 100% your walking I promise I will 100% my mobilization. Up for it?

I'm up for it. I was completely terrified to say yes which means I have to. Thanks for the boost! 

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

OMG Pickle Springs.  I frigging love cave-ish places.  That looks awesome.  That really sucks about the rollercoaster.  Truth be told, I never go to those kinds of places in case something like that ever happened.  That and I'd need to pop a whole bottle of dramamine 

No one is going to skip Yellowstone to hit Missouri but we've got a lot of really cool geological things to see here. Probably the worst thing for me weight-wise is when we go camping and everyone has those folding chairs from Wal-Mart. We all just kind of share around and land in whatever chair is available but I get panicky if one of my special "heavyweight" chairs isn't available. 

Hi! I came over from Superheroes. I love that your goals are taking what you know works for you and tweaking them slightly. Boring is the best way to success. And Molly is maybe the cutest thing I've ever seen.

Boring is boring but it seems to be what works! And thank for stopping by! 

Love the additional motivation pictures!! And Molly pic! Who would have abandoned that face??

Thanks! She was even microchipped. The rescue tried really hard to find her owners. I just can't believe it. Pets are not disposable to me. 

I know, right?! SO cute!!

Don't let the cute fool you. She's a complete diva and she snores like I did before my CPAP!   :lol:

I have a big long list of things that I have done simply because others have told me I couldn't....

being alive is one of them ;)

you got this man... you can tell that doctor where to shove her "limitations" ;)

I've been following your story pretty closely, Jenn. It always reminds me that I can do this. You really are an inspiration! 

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines