A joedog of a Certain Age

joedog

I've been following your story pretty closely, Jenn. It always reminds me that I can do this. You really are an inspiration! 

you really can... sometimes we have to do things a little slower... or a little modified... but us "dogs of a certain age" have just as much fight in them as a younger dog!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

So I just wrote a longish post about the last few days. Then my internet connection dropped (Curse you 3G wireless hotspot!) and it is gone forever. So Cliff's Notes version since I need to get back to work. 1 Strength work out, 1 night of reflection, good on calories, mediocre on quality and protein. I'm covered in hives on my chest, shoulders and neck. Not sure what I'm allergic to but I've been broken out since probably Monday night. Since I got ate up with ticks last week, I had a bit of a scare but my google-fu shows that it's extremely unlikely that I have a tickborne illness. Especially since I'm prone to have random allergic reactions to the environment. Hopefully it will settle down before our camping trip this weekend. We shall see. I'm going for a walk to see if getting sweaty makes it worse. Wish me luck! 

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

I just typed this in chat

"I have benadryl EVERYWHERE I am allergic to life remember??"

take it easy... remember that LOTS LOTS LOTS of water helps to flush histamine outta your system ;)

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

you really can... sometimes we have to do things a little slower... or a little modified... but us "dogs of a certain age" have just as much fight in them as a younger dog!

"Dogs of a certain age", my ass.  The two of you are not old!!  You give most youngsters i know a run for their money!!  Pfft....

You will outlive them too :)

So I just wrote a longish post about the last few days. Then my internet connection dropped (Curse you 3G wireless hotspot!) and it is gone forever. So Cliff's Notes version since I need to get back to work. 1 Strength work out, 1 night of reflection, good on calories, mediocre on quality and protein. I'm covered in hives on my chest, shoulders and neck. Not sure what I'm allergic to but I've been broken out since probably Monday night. Since I got ate up with ticks last week, I had a bit of a scare but my google-fu shows that it's extremely unlikely that I have a tickborne illness. Especially since I'm prone to have random allergic reactions to the environment. Hopefully it will settle down before our camping trip this weekend. We shall see. I'm going for a walk to see if getting sweaty makes it worse. Wish me luck! 

Eish!  That rash sounds unusual.  I know you don't wanna go to the doctor, but maybe the pharmacist could help you out?  They're pretty knowledgeable, have seen it before and could recommend a topical cream or anti-histamine that you could use.  Have you maybe changed washing detergent or eaten something you don't normally eat? I hope they found out what it is and that it doesn't affect your camping trip.  (Also i feel you on the camping chair situation - i've just given up, brought a cushion along and sit on the ground on my cushion - no one ever steals my seat cos no one else wants to sit on the ground).

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

"Dogs of a certain age", my ass.  The two of you are not old!!  You give most youngsters i know a run for their money!!  Pfft....

hey...

what does Indie say??

tumblr_ljv4091Sz51qi9q4ko1_r1_500.jpg

Spoiler

This thread is so fun to read.     You guys are the greatest hee.    "What does Indie say?"  Bwuahahaha loved it.  (And really, who can't appreciate a bare chested Harrison Ford first thing in the morning?)

Level 73 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

I just typed this in chat

"I have benadryl EVERYWHERE I am allergic to life remember??"

take it easy... remember that LOTS LOTS LOTS of water helps to flush histamine outta your system ;)

Good call on the water. I rarely drink enough. Going to refill the water bottle right now!

Allergies suck! hope you have something to sooth it fast and workout what it is. 

Starting to feel better! Thanks!

Eish!  That rash sounds unusual.  I know you don't wanna go to the doctor, but maybe the pharmacist could help you out?  They're pretty knowledgeable, have seen it before and could recommend a topical cream or anti-histamine that you could use.  Have you maybe changed washing detergent or eaten something you don't normally eat? I hope they found out what it is and that it doesn't affect your camping trip.  (Also i feel you on the camping chair situation - i've just given up, brought a cushion along and sit on the ground on my cushion - no one ever steals my seat cos no one else wants to sit on the ground).

I've got all sorts of ointments that are highly mediocre. If I'm still hivey by tomorrow I will probably break down and get steroids. Yuck. I have so much trouble with contact dermatitis that I never change soap if I can help it. Sometimes my skin just decides it's done with a product that has been fine for years. For example, I suddenly became allergic to Woolite which is supposed to be a very gentle detergent. We only used it to wash bras and other delicate items. Contact dermatitis everywhere my bra touched me. It was an awkward week.

hey...

what does Indie say??

tumblr_ljv4091Sz51qi9q4ko1_r1_500.jpg

I'm definitely higher mileage. With a little preventative maintenance, I've still got some wear in me though!

This thread is so fun to read.     You guys are the greatest hee.    "What does Indie say?"  Bwuahahaha loved it.  (And really, who can't appreciate a bare chested Harrison Ford first thing in the morning?)

I don't always have the most awesome challenge results (joedog=easily distracted) but I have the coolest people around me!

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

The hives are clearing but still present. I was high on calories yesterday but should still be okay on weekly average. I remembered to do my nightly meditation work before I passed out from the benadryl. I'm on vacation now until Monday. Today I have to fix the dryer, mow the yard and do some maintenance on the camper. I would like to go for a walk this evening also but we'll see. Amy is off tomorrow too so we are hoping to leave early to get to the lake. I am very ready to spend a couple of days by the lake, maybe even in the lake if the water is warm enough.

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Yes, we do. But when we do, it, damn we are good ;)

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

I'm very jealous of your trip to the lake. I wish I could get Ennica to go camping, but she doesn't like bugs. Girls... LOL

Our camping trip in no way resembles roughing it. We are going to a Corps of Engineers campground with WiFi and a pool. We have a ghetto pop up but our camping buddies have fancy campers complete with TVs. It's more like dragging your living room to the lake. :rolleyes:

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Have a great weekend!! We're just celebrating dropping down to the high 80s here in Dallas. 

Level 7 Ranger, Perpetual Newbie

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

Mary Oliver

Sounds like an awesome break that you well deserve!

Yay for steroid creams and ointments! I couldn't manage comfortably without them. In my part of the world you can get a lightweight one from the chemist, but it's pretty useless compared to the 10% stronger one on script. Good luck getting it sorted soon. Hope there are no bitey things at the lake!

Aussie Bush Ranger - Training with the Monks

'I'll fight but not surrender', cried the wild colonial... GRRL!

Project 365 - Becoming BatGirl

Current Challenge

The hives are clearing but still present. I was high on calories yesterday but should still be okay on weekly average. I remembered to do my nightly meditation work before I passed out from the benadryl. I'm on vacation now until Monday. Today I have to fix the dryer, mow the yard and do some maintenance on the camper. I would like to go for a walk this evening also but we'll see.

Did you manage to go?

If not I'm sure you will have been doing a walk while camping?

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

60 days to 5k (July-Sep 2021)

Have a great weekend!! We're just celebrating dropping down to the high 80s here in Dallas. 

It was beautiful up here this weekend. Warm enough during the day for a swim and wandering around in shorts. Cool enough at night for a campfire. Someone forgot to turn the heater on in the camper until after she was quite drunk Saturday night so she was very impressed with herself. Propane heater + drunk joedog. It turned out ok.  :very_drunk:

Sounds like an awesome break that you well deserve!

Yay for steroid creams and ointments! I couldn't manage comfortably without them. In my part of the world you can get a lightweight one from the chemist, but it's pretty useless compared to the 10% stronger one on script. Good luck getting it sorted soon. Hope there are no bitey things at the lake!

It was a much needed break. I have some prescription steroid cream. Its in a very safe place. That's my way of saying I can't find it.   :D

wow that really sucks about the hives.  hope it clears up soon.

It was the worst bout of hives I've had. It finally cleared up completely on Thursday. Makes me think it might have been a wee bit stress related. It was definitely time for a mini vacation! 

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Week 1 recap:

Week 1 just didn't get off to the start I was aiming for. 

Goal 1) I did one strength workout = C

Goal 2) I did manage to get all my walks in for the week. 3/3 = A

Goal 3) Tracking calories went right out the window for vacation. Starting fresh today. Incomplete tracking = F

Goal 4) I got 4/7 meditation/reflections in for the week. 4/7 = C

So week 1 wasn't great but I didn't really expect too much since I had the long weekend in there. I think I'm going to have to concentrate really hard on being disciplined about my goals during the week. This weekend we're having a joint birthday party for 3 of us who have birthdays coming up. The next weekend will be birthday celebration with Amy's folks. Usually September through Christmas has some weekend shenanigans every week. 

I ended up not going to nights this week. Another of our guys is available to cover it so I'm still on days. It's good news overall but it really through my plans off. My boss's text message didn't go through so I didn't find out until last night that I was working this morning instead of tonight. 

Now I need to catch up on everyone else's threads! 

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

I keep forgetting to announce to the world that I signed up for my first 5k! It is October 26. Probably will plan to walk most of it since I'm still trying to give my knee a break. But it will be my first one and I will get some bling for it! 

Dude that is awesome! So proud of you :)

Level 11 Human Ranger

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not."

"Once a person is determined to help themselves, there is nothing that can stop them."

CURRENT CHALLENGE   1 2 3  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   DAILY BATTLE LOG     MOTIVATION

(Inventory: Fire Flower)

Winner of Adventurer Guild Challenge #26

pleanty of room for improvement ;) there on goal 3 :)

everything else looks awesomes!!!

Spoiler

Woo, first 5k!   Awesome awesome.  I remember my first one.   It is a GREAT feeling.     

Level 73 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines