lexphoenix: move

lyranedara

I was trying to find a fun workout for this afternoon and that flow is it!

It raining buddy for the park makes things more fun and you do end up pushing yourself harder to show off or not be left behind. I think I might have gotten a friend on board, but I don't want to scare her off already.

I hope you enjoyed it!

I'm not sure it would really add or detract from my intensity level. I'm pretty good about doing my own thing. It would just be nice to have a real-life fitness friend. :)

I wonder what mysterious exercise is hidden here! :tongue:

Sorry. Here's the link. I use one of my parallettes since I don't have a barbell lying around the house. Some days are more intense than others. Yesterday, everything started out rather normal. Light discomfort, nothing major. I was just working happily while listening to a podcast and then I nearly choked on my own tongue when I hit a hot spot, lol.

Sorry. Here's the link. I use one of my parallettes since I don't have a barbell lying around the house. Some days are more intense than others. Yesterday, everything started out rather normal. Light discomfort, nothing major. I was just working happily while listening to a podcast and then I nearly choked on my own tongue when I hit a hot spot, lol.

This looks really painful! :o

Level 6 Amazon Assassin Ranger

challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

the rebuilding of the Amazon: #6

looking good lex, i smiled when reading about your basketball game :) sounds really fun ^^ keep it up :D

Level 10 Bleu Gardien Assassin of the Lanomia Clan

Buddhist, Traceur, Martial Artist, Assassin, Templar

Strenght: 22 Constitution: 9 Dexterity: 4 Wisdom: 12 Stamina: 11 Charisma: 5
- My Epic Quest: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/28629-an-assassins-epic-quest/
- My Tenth-th Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56054-cobaltswords-journey-chapter-10/

- Daily Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51677-cobaltswords-journey/

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle" - "Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

Playing outside with my kids comes very naturally to me now, so I've been trying to find ways to display my athleticism without appearing that I'm showing off, if that makes sense.  It would be AWESOME to have a playground workout buddy, but I also don't want her to feel intimidated or anything, or like I'm judging her for not being as active.

I can see how this would be tricky.  You're probably going to be better off just playing some games like basketball or tag with the kids and encouraging her to join in.  If she shows any interest in doing any sort of workout, I bet you could find a very basic, beginner level yoga video and use that to ease her into the idea of working out.  But, I wouldn't push much for exactly the reasons you stated earlier. 

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Playing outside with my kids comes very naturally to me now, so I've been trying to find ways to display my athleticism without appearing that I'm showing off, if that makes sense.  It would be AWESOME to have a playground workout buddy, but I also don't want her to feel intimidated or anything, or like I'm judging her for not being as active. So when we're all outside together, I try to keep it very low key. I haven't taken off on the monkey bars or anything. :) Yesterday, I played basketball with the boys for a little while. Running, cutting, and jumping, were all super easy and a lot of fun. I made sure not to linger too long. I didn't want to make her feel left out. Her son was amazed though. He's 10 years old, and he just couldn't believe that a mom could even dribble, much less actually play the game, lol.

You should be proud, not many people would think to be that considerate! 

I'm sure she noticed how easy you were keeping up and handling the physical activity and she probably noticed too how much fun you AND the boys were having. If she isn't too intimidated I'm sure that it'll be inspiring :) Really smart choices, just being at ease with your abilities and not showing off. I really hope for you that you'll end up with a real-life fitness friend but already simply happy she's a friend! 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

This looks really painful! :o

It's only painful when I don't keep up with it. Then I find a terrible surprise. :D

looking good lex, i smiled when reading about your basketball game :) sounds really fun ^^ keep it up :D

Thanks, it was a blast!

I can see how this would be tricky.  You're probably going to be better off just playing some games like basketball or tag with the kids and encouraging her to join in.  If she shows any interest in doing any sort of workout, I bet you could find a very basic, beginner level yoga video and use that to ease her into the idea of working out.  But, I wouldn't push much for exactly the reasons you stated earlier. 

I've decided to wait until she approaches me about it. If she doesn't, that's perfectly okay.

I'm sure she noticed how easy you were keeping up and handling the physical activity and she probably noticed too how much fun you AND the boys were having. If she isn't too intimidated I'm sure that it'll be inspiring :) Really smart choices, just being at ease with your abilities and not showing off. I really hope for you that you'll end up with a real-life fitness friend but already simply happy she's a friend! 

I still remember what it feels like to be the mom who couldn't play, and I hope no one ever has to feel that way. If she asks for my advice, I'll be happy to point her in the right direction. She's into lots of nerdy things, so at least we have that. :)

Just talked to my husband. " I have good news and bad news. I'll start with the good news." 

• He will be receiving funding from the dept for full-tuition
  • They are reducing his required hours in the lab
  • They will be providing him a small salary for his lab work
  • He's basically been guaranteed a PhD slot beginning in the Fall
  • A few other misc things

Me: "Okay, What's the bad news? I've been tempering my excitement considering the last few months we've had."

Him: "There actually isn't any bad news. But I fully expect the school to be struck by a meteor tomorrow or something." 

Just talked to my husband. " I have good news and bad news. I'll start with the good news." 

Me: "Okay, What's the bad news? I've been tempering my excitement considering the last few months we've had."

Him: "There actually isn't any bad news. But I fully expect the school to be struck by a meteor tomorrow or something." 

Heh, I know that feeling, when things are going good I'm always suspicious about what Fate has in store for me to balance it out...

Though if the school did get hit by a meteor, and you found it first, you could be set for life. I've been watching a show called Meteor Men (or something like that) and they've found meteors worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and more. And if it hits something people will pay a premium. So there could be a silver lining to that too, as long as you're quick to get out there and collect the space rocks!!

But still... I'll keep my fingers crossed for no fiery space debris anywhere near you...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

OH HELL YEAH!!!!  Massive fist pump your way.  That's awesome!  Even if the reduction in hours isn't huge compared to everything else he's doing, that's still fabulous.

I agree with this 100%.  Not all of our relationships need to be about fitness.... it's fine to just be there with enjoying someone else's company.  She'll figure out that you love being active, but that's just you being you!

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

Heh, I know that feeling, when things are going good I'm always suspicious about what Fate has in store for me to balance it out...

Though if the school did get hit by a meteor, and you found it first, you could be set for life. I've been watching a show called Meteor Men (or something like that) and they've found meteors worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and more. And if it hits something people will pay a premium. So there could be a silver lining to that too, as long as you're quick to get out there and collect the space rocks!!

But still... I'll keep my fingers crossed for no fiery space debris anywhere near you...

This actually made me lol for real. Thanks for the kind thoughts. :)

OH HELL YEAH!!!!  Massive fist pump your way.  That's awesome!  Even if the reduction in hours isn't huge compared to everything else he's doing, that's still fabulous.

I agree with this 100%.  Not all of our relationships need to be about fitness.... it's fine to just be there with enjoying someone else's company.  She'll figure out that you love being active, but that's just you being you!

Thanks! I'm still having trouble working up the proper level of excitement. I'm not sure my heart can take another precipitous turn of luck. It's hard to express just how relieved I am to finally be getting good news, well, great news! 

It was just kind of wishful thinking on my part. No one I know IRL is interested in the fitness things I am. I'm quite happy with how things are between us though, so I've decided to let whatever happens happen.

Woot!! That's so great Lex!!!!!! :D :D :D So happy for your family!!!! :D :D :D

And I'm with KBG and Thatgirljj, you are such a considerate person, and hopefully she'll fall in love with the idea of being able to play with her kids and being active the way you are. It doesn't necessarily mean she'll turn into a Rebel or anything, but it may at least kindle her interest :)

He will be receiving funding from the dept for full-tuition

Awesome!  More money for less work time is a huge win!  And at least you and your husband have better chances of remaining sane over the next few months.  ;)

For the mommy friend, it's entirely possible that she's just not the type of person who will be interested in fitness.  And that's okay too.  I have my fair share of friends who eat poorly and have zero interest in exercise, and they're perfectly happy that way.  Sometimes, all of us on this forum get a bit carried away.  We love fitness, so we assume that everyone else would be just as happy as we are, if only they adopted a more health conscious lifestyle.  I think you totally have the right idea to just sit back, quietly set a good example, and just let things happen however they may.

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I got a kick out of the "being at ease with your abilities" part.  Very superhero sounding.

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Oh yay! That's amazing news!! I'm sending all my good vibrations your way that nothing comes about to change that so you guys get more time together, even if it's not that much!

Thanks, Paradigm!

Woot!! That's so great Lex!!!!!! :D :D :D So happy for your family!!!! :D :D :D

And I'm with KBG and Thatgirljj, you are such a considerate person, and hopefully she'll fall in love with the idea of being able to play with her kids and being active the way you are. It doesn't necessarily mean she'll turn into a Rebel or anything, but it may at least kindle her interest :)

Thanks! It really is awesome. The dept wasn't sure about him because none of the other military applicants they've had managed to last a semester. I guess with everything that he's had to fight through to make this work, he's proven he's determined to stick with the program. :)

This probably sounds weird, but I don't point people to NF first. The way Steve writes his articles, with a 100 different links to get to all the info he has, they get overwhelmed and decide it's too complicated. I usually send them to someone like Nia Shanks, and then refer them here when they've got a basic background.

Awesome!  More money for less work time is a huge win!  And at least you and your husband have better chances of remaining sane over the next few months.  ;)

For the mommy friend, it's entirely possible that she's just not the type of person who will be interested in fitness.  And that's okay too.  I have my fair share of friends who eat poorly and have zero interest in exercise, and they're perfectly happy that way.  Sometimes, all of us on this forum get a bit carried away.  We love fitness, so we assume that everyone else would be just as happy as we are, if only they adopted a more health conscious lifestyle.  I think you totally have the right idea to just sit back, quietly set a good example, and just let things happen however they may.

Yeah, with all the last minute stuff that happened that I never talked about here, we'd resigned ourselves to dealing with massive debt from the first year. For things to turn around completely is a huge relief!

AM

Morning mobility

Bridge practice

PLP mod - feeling good!

About 30 min rolling

PM

Playground fun

Low intensity jumping practice (focus on good form, quality reps of jumps)

Cooled down, but ran out of time to stretch. Made a mental note to stretch later that was erased at some point before bed. :)

Usually try to meditate after stretching. Oops.

My husband is running the AF marathon on Saturday, so we'll be out of town this weekend. I'm not sure if I'll have a chance to check in, or what my workouts will be. The nice thing is that I can still do almost anything I want with just some clear space in the hotel room. :)

awesooome (picture Barney Stinson) this is sooo great, but what does your husband actually do to get a Phd slot? Oo still pretty awesome

so happy for you guys ^^ great workout too Lex keep at it ;)

Level 10 Bleu Gardien Assassin of the Lanomia Clan

Buddhist, Traceur, Martial Artist, Assassin, Templar

Strenght: 22 Constitution: 9 Dexterity: 4 Wisdom: 12 Stamina: 11 Charisma: 5
- My Epic Quest: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/28629-an-assassins-epic-quest/
- My Tenth-th Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56054-cobaltswords-journey-chapter-10/

- Daily Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51677-cobaltswords-journey/

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle" - "Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

awesooome (picture Barney Stinson) this is sooo great, but what does your husband actually do to get a Phd slot? Oo still pretty awesome

so happy for you guys ^^ great workout too Lex keep at it ;)

He still has to go through the application process, like everyone else. This year was their way of testing his commitment, and they said that as long as he produced the grades, they'd love to have him.

This probably sounds weird, but I don't point people to NF first. The way Steve writes his articles, with a 100 different links to get to all the info he has, they get overwhelmed and decide it's too complicated. I usually send them to someone like Nia Shanks, and then refer them here when they've got a basic background.

Funny, I'm the same! I really filter whom I refer NF to too! Not everybody I know would enjoy the nerdy bits or get the references or want to follow all the links.

Good luck to your husband. I hope he has a great, not too painful, time :D

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines