The Swampling's Blast from the past - Reunion Edition

Swampling

My main quest - getting healthy and strong - has not changed, but since I have found a basic workout routine that works for me, and my eating habits have improved a lot during those last couple of weeks, I will have a different focus this time.

Since this challenge will end one week before my 20th high school reunion, this is the perfect time to look back at where I was 20 years ago, in terms of health and fitness. Would I like to be there again? Yes and no, actually...

Which brings me to the goals for this challenge:

1. Flexibility - 20 years ago, I was better "flexible like a mutant" material than I am now. I would like to get at least some of that back, so after this challenge I want to be able to do a front split "at will" again. I managed once (right front split) by accident during my last challenge, but that was just one side and after 30 mins of prep work. I plan on using this program, and see if it works for me.

2. Strength - I would love to be able to do a correct pullup at some point in the future, but... My arms are not my strongest parts. At the end of high school, I had struggled for three years with chronic tendonitis in both wrists and elbows, I had no strength left in my hands (dropped stuff all the time, couldn't hold a pen anymore - try to do your exams when you're not able to write...). So, I'm going to get my hands, arms and upper body used to the idea of doing things with a pullup bar. I know I will definitely not be able to do a pullup after these 6 weeks. I will have to take it extremely slow, because I don't want to make my wrists and elbows unhappy. Been there, done that, can definitely do without that crap... ;) (And I will continue doing my usual bodyweight routine 3x / week which has pulling exercises as well, so...)

Weeks 1 - 6: "Hangin' in there": Improve my "hanging" time from (very uncomfortable) 20 seconds to comfortable 25 seconds. That doesn't sound like a lot, but this is not only about quantity, but quality. Also, I will not be able to work on that more than 3x / week, so that's what it's going to be.

Current idea (might have to be updated, depending on state of wrists + elbows):

Wk 1: 13 - 11 - 12

Wk 2: 15 - 12 - 14

Wk 3: 17 - 14 - 16

Wk 4: 19 - 16 - 18

Wk 5: 21 - 18 - 20

Wk 6: 23 - 20 - 22

Final test: planging* hanging "comfortably" for 25 seconds, not feeling like my hands are going to die after second 2... :)

Weeks 3 - 6: "Shrug it off": From hanging, pull my shoulders down to the correct position and hold.

Since I have no idea how my arms are going to handle weeks 1 + 2, I'll have to wait with the actual program for that until the end of week 2. If my arms think that hanging is all they are able to do, then I will just leave it at that and recheck after week 3. Or 4. Or 5. :)

3. More Strength :) - On the "off" days I'll work on the RKC plank 3x / week. Should also work nicely towards overall strength, so that chin ups (and at some point pull ups) will be easier (read: feasible at all).

I'll start with 3 x 10 seconds (if possible :D) and would like to end up with 3 x 20 after the challenge.

4. Then there's that life goal: I used to write fun stuff together with my sister. I haven't done any of that for some years now. So I will write for at least five minutes every day. Doesn't have to be much, but at least one sentence per day. Doesn't have to be a consecutive paragraph when I'm finished, either, the important part is to make time for writing consistently, and to make it a habit again. It sure as hell won't be pretty, but it doesn't have to be. :D

Grading system:

1. Flexibility (+3 DEX, +1 STR):

A: front splits right and left, "at will"

B: front split right, "at will", left after some prep work

C: front split right, "almost" front split left, both after considerable prep work

D: "almost" splits right + left, after considerable prep work

F: no improvement at all

2. Building strength for my first pullup in the far future (+3 STR, +1 STA)

A: hanging comfortably for 25 seconds or more, hanging with "tucked in" shoulders for at least 5 seconds

B: hanging comfortably for 20 seconds, no tucked in shoulders

C: hanging comfortably for 15 seconds, no tucked in shoulders

D: hanging comfortably for 10 seconds, no tucked in shoulders

F: anything less

3: RKC plank (+2 STR, +2 STA)

A: holding correct plank for 3 x 20 seconds or longer

B: holding correct plank for 3 x 17 seconds

C: holding correct plank for 3 x 14 seconds

D: holding correct plank for 3 x 12 seconds

4: Writing (+2 WIS, +1 CHA)

A: writing every day for at least 5 minutes, having at least 42 sentences to show for it.

B: writing at least 35 days

C: writing at least 28 days

D: writing at least 21 days

EDIT: added stat points to goals

EDIT (9/22/2013): Since I already started "planging"* during week 1, I'll just keep that up and extend planging time over the six weeks. Goal is still 25 secs.

*Planging: For my purposes, a "plang" will be a "hanging plank", meaning: I hang from the pull up bar and contract all the muscles I can muster. Meaning the shoulders must be pulled down, arms strong, hands crushing the bar, abs, back, glutes, legs tight, kneecaps pulled up, flexed feet, toes pointing up.

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Good luck with your challenge :)

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Sounds awesome, Swamps!  I'll be around checking up on you   :loyal:

Level 2 Amazon Druid

STR 4|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 1

My 1st Challenge - Ring Toss, Anyone?     My 2nd Challenge - Jodi's Two Towers     My Battle Log     My Tribe - The Dai-Gurren Brigade

At times, you become almost certain that you slabbed this hillside three days ago, crossed this stream yesterday, clambered over this fallen tree at least twice today already. But most of the time you don’t think. No point. Instead, you exist in a kind of mobile Zen mode, your brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below. Walking for hours and miles becomes as automatic, as unremarkable, as breathing. At the end of the day you don’t think, 'Hey, I did sixteen miles today,' any more than you think, 'Hey, I took eight-thousand breaths today.' It’s just what you do.â€

Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Good luck with the challenge! I had to go look up what a RKC plank was. Oof! Glad I caught you at the ground floor this time, last challenge I could never make it through. With the writing, would a word count be more consistent than a sentence count? 

"Oof" about sums it up, yeah...

If I were writing to a specific goal, then a word count (or even a character count, depending on what I was writing) would of course make much more sense. But since I just want to get back into the writing habit, I'll settle for one sentence for each day. If it's more, that's awesome, but I just want to make sure that my goal is achievable. Since I haven't been writing for so long, I'm not sure what a "sensible" word count would be for this kind of thing. 500? 600? 1000? No idea. I'll better start small and take it from there. :)

At least I know I will make one other person happy with this goal - my sister. She was trying to get me back into writing a couple of times over the past years, without success... So, having fun writing all kinds of silly stuff with her is part of my motivation for this one. :)

Hobbit 

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

"Oof" about sums it up, yeah...

If I were writing to a specific goal, then a word count (or even a character count, depending on what I was writing) would of course make much more sense. But since I just want to get back into the writing habit, I'll settle for one sentence for each day. If it's more, that's awesome, but I just want to make sure that my goal is achievable. Since I haven't been writing for so long, I'm not sure what a "sensible" word count would be for this kind of thing. 500? 600? 1000? No idea. I'll better start small and take it from there. :)

At least I know I will make one other person happy with this goal - my sister. She was trying to get me back into writing a couple of times over the past years, without success... So, having fun writing all kinds of silly stuff with her is part of my motivation for this one. :)

Awesome. I should make writing more one of my goals one of these challenges. Whatever goals works best for you is the one to stick with, for sure.

Good luck!

Whoooo Hoooo, my swampling is here!!!!  :love_heart::love_heart::triumphant::triumphant:

Sub'd! 

I love the detail you have put into your goals! So much growth, simply awesome!!

Let's ROCK this thing my friend!!

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Whoooo Hoooo, my swampling is here!!!!  :love_heart: :love_heart: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Sub'd! 

I love the detail you have put into your goals! So much growth, simply awesome!!

Let's ROCK this thing my friend!!

Great to have you back on board, Ash! :love_heart: :love_heart: :love_heart:

I had to crunch some numbers first to get a more concrete plan than just "I wanna do a pullup someday" and "need to plank". :playful: So I had to do some benchmark hanging and planking today, being timed and corrected by my better half.

Knowing my limitations, this is again going to be tough, but doable. Just have to work a little more on the timing. :encouragement:

Hobbit 

Great to have you back on board, Ash! :love_heart: :love_heart: :love_heart:

I had to crunch some numbers first to get a more concrete plan than just "I wanna do a pullup someday" and "need to plank". :playful: So I had to do some benchmark hanging and planking today, being timed and corrected by my better half.

Knowing my limitations, this is again going to be tough, but doable. Just have to work a little more on the timing. :encouragement:

Ohhhhhhh, it is soooo nice to have the new threads going and getting the gang back together. My heart is at peace again, lol. :peaceful:

Now just gotta get Vilkacis to get his thread up.

I know what you mean. Gave myself a headache this last week 'crunching numbers'! :nightmare:

And yeah, tough but doable!

But we're tough, We're the Brigade!!!! (channeling my inner kiwi- Rawr!!!!) lol :playful:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

I wish you luck in those strength exercises.  I'd love to be able to do pull-ups as well but I'm a few challenges away before I can even start that.  Planks...ugh.  A few seconds and I collapse.

I like your writing goal. Maybe that should be my tweaked life goal as well since I'm not 100% sure what to do for that 1.

Rawr!  This is about 160 words. 

RKC plank looks hardcore!  Rawr!  Good Luck, Swampling! :D

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |

I am so excited that bluekiwi1 is around to give us Rawrs!  

:welcoming:  :welcoming:  :welcoming:

I'm going to need a lot of those in the next 6 weeks!!

Level 2 Amazon Druid

STR 4|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 1

My 1st Challenge - Ring Toss, Anyone?     My 2nd Challenge - Jodi's Two Towers     My Battle Log     My Tribe - The Dai-Gurren Brigade

At times, you become almost certain that you slabbed this hillside three days ago, crossed this stream yesterday, clambered over this fallen tree at least twice today already. But most of the time you don’t think. No point. Instead, you exist in a kind of mobile Zen mode, your brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below. Walking for hours and miles becomes as automatic, as unremarkable, as breathing. At the end of the day you don’t think, 'Hey, I did sixteen miles today,' any more than you think, 'Hey, I took eight-thousand breaths today.' It’s just what you do.â€

Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

I wish you luck in those strength exercises.  I'd love to be able to do pull-ups as well but I'm a few challenges away before I can even start that.  Planks...ugh.  A few seconds and I collapse.

I like your writing goal. Maybe that should be my tweaked life goal as well since I'm not 100% sure what to do for that 1.

Hi Teros, I am soooo many challenges shy of being able to do one measly chin up, let alone pull ups... That's why I start very, very small. But I want whatever I achieve to be sustainable, and I think if I build slowly towards a goal, I have a better chance at the end to say "ok, now I really got this", instead of it being just a one-time thing, with me struggling in the future to keep that level.

I have to admit, I am not a very patient person, so starting with "less" than what I can currently *somehow* do seems a little... um. I would love to start with a program like for example Scooby's, with 5 x 8 negative chin ups, 3x/week as a first step. But I know that my arms were going to give out pretty soon if I tried that kind of stunt. So something like this is still, unfortunately, a no go for me. I will get there, even if it takes me probably much longer than it would a person with "healthy" arms. (Especially those negative chin ups would probably kill my elbows in pretty much no time.)

As much as it irks me, I need to be realistic with this one. :D

As far as planks go, Elbow summed it up pretty eloquently a couple of posts above: "Oof!" I haven't had any planks or similar exercise in my workout so far, and I think it shows. :playful: I need to work on that. Especially regarding plans involving pull ups and the like.

Writing used to be fun, but somewhere along the way it became work, and so I stopped writing in my free time, because even the "fun stuff" felt like work. Then there was a time when I simply couldn't fit fun stuff in my schedule much, or was simply too tired to even try. So. Back to making me *want* to write again. :)

Hobbit 

Oh I totally understand with the slow and low setup.  One of my main goals is to do triple-clap pushups and I couldn't even do a normal one- so I've been building up the past 3 challenges.  Went from a few wall-ups, to 30 desk incline pushups.  Last challenge, I dropped the incline and I'm using my tractor tire for incline for my aptly-named 'Tire-Ups'.  Up to 18 so far.  Maybe by 30, I'll get to the real pushups.

Good goals!  I'm betting that once you start writing again that you'll be churning out more than "one sentence" each day.  Sounds like a fun life quest! 

Thank you! I sure hope that once I get over the first couple of writing doses, it will flow more freely. Have to banish my inner editor for the time being (that one's always tough for me) and just put the words down, even if they are not pretty. :D

Hobbit 

Rawr!  This is about 160 words. 

RKC plank looks hardcore!  Rawr!  Good Luck, Swampling! :D

KIIIIWIIIIII! :wub: and RAWR! :tyrannosaurus:

RKC plank also feels not much like fun... Just did about three yesterday (not timed) to get the form as correct as possible while my husband had time to give feedback, and today I already notice some... um... after effects in my abs. Ouch. Thankfully I'll always have at least one day off between those. ;)

Hobbit 

Oh I totally understand with the slow and low setup.  One of my main goals is to do triple-clap pushups and I couldn't even do a normal one- so I've been building up the past 3 challenges.  Went from a few wall-ups, to 30 desk incline pushups.  Last challenge, I dropped the incline and I'm using my tractor tire for incline for my aptly-named 'Tire-Ups'.  Up to 18 so far.  Maybe by 30, I'll get to the real pushups.

The "Tire-Ups" sound great... :D Good luck with your push ups! (I'm still on a chair incline with those... Definitely no clapping for me in the near future. ;) )

Hobbit 

I'll be creepin'.  Booksticks abound!

Thanks, fork! I'll be counting on you to kick my butt when I cower before the mighty planks and want to weasel out of those... :)

Oh, and this time I promise there won't be any Gurkentaschenrechner. No esoteric stuff to wrap my head around for this challenge. :D

Hobbit 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines