The Swampling's Blast from the past - Reunion Edition

Swampling

Good morning, Ash! :love_heart:

I'll spend most of today on several trains to get back home, so I will have lots of time for reading, and also to finish defining my goals / program for the next challenge. It's actually not bad for me to have an additional week for a small trial run with the pull up progressions. :)

Have a great Sunday!

:triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Good Morning swampling!  :love_heart:

Have an awesome Monday!!!  :triumphant::triumphant:

Time for me to head off!

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Good morning! :)

So I did spend some brain cells on working out how to progress with the pull ups - just to get more useful input from my favorite Canadian afterwards, which led me to rethink what I have come up with so far.

So it's back to the drawing board... :rolleyes:

Today I did a little OS (original strength) warm up before my BW workout, actually pretty much like this one. I think I will keep that at least for the next challenge. It doesn't take very long, but still involves the whole body. Nice. :)

The workout itself went not so well - I had major problems with my squats, after the first sets I had to go back to two legged squats instead of the one legged ones. :( Not sure where exactly the problem was, my legs were wobbly as hell and my right knee decided to hurt again (which it hasn't done for a couple of weeks now). Grrrrrrrr.

Still - I wish you all a successful Monday (hopefully more successful than mine)!

:triumphant::triumphant::triumphant:

Hobbit 

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

With knee pain/aggravation, even if it feels ok, it is NOT ready to use yet.  Knees tend to feel ok before they are actually ready to use.  The more you then use the knee- the more you reaggravate it.  I wouldn't get discouraged- it's a waiting game.

With knee pain/aggravation, even if it feels ok, it is NOT ready to use yet.  Knees tend to feel ok before they are actually ready to use.  The more you then use the knee- the more you reaggravate it.  I wouldn't get discouraged- it's a waiting game.

Thank you, terosx! :)

Unfortunately, I hate waiting. Patience has never been my strong point. :redface-new:

I hope it's just a small relapse, and I think it's mostly due to sitting for hours on various trains over the past weekend and simply not moving around enough. It should get better now that I'm back home and back to my usual routines. *keeping my fingers crossed*

Hobbit 

Hey swampling!

Definitely don't aggravate anything, but I will agree with you on one point. My left knee has been injured several times and now gets cranky with me on and off. Squats can definitely make it achy. And lunges. (nodding) And I do know that as you mentioned a lot of sitting or standing for long periods can make it act up. So you might be right with it being just a spell.

Have you looked into maybe an inexpensive neoprene brace. That has helped my ankle. it's just a stretchy sleeve you wear over the knee, helps support it when doing activities. Here you can buy them from your usual store that carries that kind of thing. Just  a thought.

Your OS sounds a lot like the warm up and acclimation sets I do before weight training. Prep work. Was a new concept for me but helps a lot.

Here's to your knee feeling better and the next workout being better.  ^_^

And yep, my impatience has made me decide to join forkboy make this a seven week challenge! Starting today! :playful:

hugs! :love_heart::love_heart:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

Good morning, Ash! :)

The knee is already doing better today (okay, since today was my first test run for "negative chin up day" I didn't do much with it so far except for the above mentioned warm up as well as some leg stretches after the workout).

I'd rather not use a brace at all, because I know from experience (the tendonitis in the Wussies and Whinies) that it can soon become a habit and then your (that is: my) muscles get even weaker because they get used to having that support pretty quickly.

I mean it's not like I were a pro athlete :D, or maybe doing hour long hikes in the mountains, putting major strain on that knee. When it acts up, I try to work around it and give it some more rest. If I really had to do something like that, then, yes, a brace would certainly be helpful. But since I don't do these kinds of things I'd rather avoid the brace.

I'm probably a bit paranoid about that stuff, but that's just. me. ;)

Today's chin up day (or is it "chin down" when they're negatives? :P) went well. Since I was told that it's always easier to add reps than sets, I started with 5 sets, even if four of those consisted of just 1 rep. So I started out with 6 negatives today and aim to add one rep on every chin up day (at least 3, maybe 4 chin up days per week).

I also switched from RKC planks to side planks for a change, did two on every side, one each on the elbow, one each with a straight arm, each for 30 seconds. Definitely different from the regular planks, but the oof factor is still there! ;)

I'll also keep the leg stretches from the splits progression as a cool down for the chin up days. My legs can always use a bit more strength and flexibility.

I won't count this week as an official challenge week, it's more like a test run for the next goals.

How do you make "patience" a SMART goal? It sure is something I need to work on, but I have no idea how to practice, much less measure it... :confused:

Hobbit 

How do you make "patience" a SMART goal? It sure is something I need to work on, but I have no idea how to practice, much less measure it... :confused:

Is there a certain situation where you don't have patience?  Or is it all the time, like you put a potato in the microwave and start stomping around after 5 seconds because the potato SHOULD BE DONE NOW.

Is there a certain situation where you don't have patience?  Or is it all the time, like you put a potato in the microwave and start stomping around after 5 seconds because the potato SHOULD BE DONE NOW.

Being impatient is basically my default state, so I'd have to go for the latter description. :D

Hobbit 

Ever done any meditation?  That's the only thing that I can think of, besides maybe some sort of really angry exercise to blow off steam so you can't be impatient. 

Meditation? Not much. A bit in yoga class, but I've never tried to meditate on my own. Maybe I should have a go at "Meditation for Dummies"? I'll have to check it out - maybe they have some SMART ideas I can borrow for the next challenge...

Great advice, thank you!

Angry exercise is also a good idea, at least for when I'm at home, but not really applicable as a solution to everyday situations that are damaging my calm.

Damage-my-calm-Cobb.jpg

Hobbit 

Soooooo how's my favorite swampling been? lol

I am home, hurting and tired and very far behind, sigh. But, I will get caught up!

Didn't know they had started all the new threads already. Have you put yours up?

Missed you. :love_heart: Bear with me while I get caught up and try to get my thread started!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Morning swampling!  ;) 

Yep, I know you are sleeping in. Decided to come by early.

hugs my friend, I have missed you! :love_heart:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

YAY! Goooooooooood morning, Ash!

:triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant: :triumphant:

I was getting worried because things had gotten way too quiet, when Jess thankfully let us know what was going on!

So sorry that life threw you another curveball... :(

I missed you, too, and I'm just happyhappyhappy to have you back! :D

What have I been up to? Um, I have been test-driving my pull up progressions for this past week, so I will finally be able to put up my new challenge thread today... *whew* As soon as it's up, I'll post it in the new Brigade thread Vixen set up for us, as well as add the link to my sig.

Although this week has been pretty nice to me workout wise, it was not one of my best weeks life wise, and I'm still trying to work some stuff out. *sigh*

Oh, and did I mention that it's great that you're back? ;)

*hugs*

Hobbit 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines