Ravnos' Second Challenge: Bomb's Away!

ravnos

OH, HELLO WEEK 3.

So week 2 was interesting. I took my workup back to, more or less, full strength by the end of the week (with Monday kicking ass overall, so I know I'm doing the right thing).

I got in a lot of good walking, and I carried my groceries home over the weekend rather than taking a cart, which is about 25 lb in each hand for about... half a mile of walking.

All this really comes down to is, I feel great, and I'm happy I've been able to kick this challenges ass so far - although I still haven't gotten a hike in :(.

As far as my quests go, here's the breakdown:

Side Quest 1: Maintain a primal diet for all 6 weeks and consume about 12000 calories a week (1500 a day, 1800 on workout days). [Con] - Definitely an A for the week. I had an approx. caloric intake of 11,761. I updated this quest to reflect more accurate nutritional needs.

Side Quest 2: Walk/Run 10 miles a week, total. Strength train 3 times a week. [str & Sta] - According to RunKeeper I walked over 17 miles and ran about 3, so A+++ again?

Side Quest 3: Go on a 30 mile bike ride. [sta] - Going to start biking again this week! I'm ordering a helmet and picking up new gloves before the weekend, so I'll get back out there asap.

Life Quest: Go hiking more than once during the 6 weeks. I love hiking in the fall and it's a good excuse to spend some time outdoors with my girlfriend just the two of us. [sta & Wis] - No progress. I'm hoping to go this upcoming weekend.

Could have been better, could have been a lot worse. Overall still an A for the week though!

As far as the numbers go, things look good though. My caloric burn was 7571 for the week - I stopped using fitbit because it was giving me crazy, all over the place numbers. So that doesn't factor in the calories I burn on average over the course of the day.

Measurements:

Weight: I stopped weighing myself because... meh?

Neck: 16

Chest: 42

Bicep: 13

Forearm: 11.25

Waist: 37

Hips: 36

Thigh: 22.75

Calf: 16

BF%: 12%

The important number - BF% - is obviously lowering at a steady pace and I am AOK with that.

Side note: I have basically finished "It Starts With Food" already, I'm getting to the meal plan part and recipes, so I'm counting that as finished. I also spent part of the week working on some personal stuff, so general life progress overall.

Ask October starts things in my life get incredibly hectic, so here's hoping nothing slows down on the fitness/health end!

Oh and I'm making an appointment to see a doctor today for my first checkup in about 6 years.

Yesterday's workout:

Walking:

27:29 || 1 mi

24:51.6 || 1 mi

Walking (treadmill):

05:00 || 0.3 mi

Running (treadmill):

09:43 || 1 mi

Dumbbell Squat - 2x10 (30lb)

Barbell Squat - 1x10 (60lb)
Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 1x10 (15lb)
Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP) - 1x10 (35lb)
Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise - 1x10 (10lb)
Push-Up - 3x10
Body Weight Inverted Row (Let Me Ups) - 2x10
Seated Dumbbell Row - 1x10 (35lb)
Plank - 2x30 sec.
Hollow Rock - 1x30 sec.
Barbell Deadlift - 3x10 (135lb)
Bench Dip (Seated Dip) - 3x10
Standing Dumbbell Calf Raise - 3x20 (35lb)
Half Bridge - 3x30
Lat Pulldown - 3x10 (100lb)
Body Weight Dip Station L-sit - 15 sec.
Farmer's Walk - 100 ft. @ 50lb.

Vinyasa - 10 min.

Crow Stand - 15 sec.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Str: 10 | Dex: 10 | Stam: 8 | Con: 15 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 12

Battle Log || Current Challenge Log

Fitocracy | My Fitness Pal | Runkeeper

Twitter | Xbox Live: ravnos13 | PSN: CrawlingChaos13

Nintendo ID | Steam ID | Battle.net: ravnos#1547

12%! It's hard not exclaim with expletives at that number, that's amazing!

Of course, it's obviously different for me. I'd be ecstatic to get to low 20s, having to keep on that baby-making fat and all... :offended:

I digress, my point is GOOD JOB! :D

Thanks! I swear that entire 12% is located in my mid section, which is annoying. I'm starting to feel pretty good about everything except the gut I'm still carrying around. That's cool though, it has to burn off at some point in this process!

Level 5 Viking Berserker

You got this.  slow and steady wins the race.  Awesome job so far.  Hey, you still going to KRF on sat?

Sadly, no. Plans fell through because my friend's cat got sick (on the mend so no worries!) and he had to drop a lot of money at the vet.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

So let's see. In order to meet Mini-Quest 3 I need to reframe an update for this week in a positive light. I try to go more factual/hard on myself with my regular updates so lets give this a try.

Mid-Week 3 Quest update!

I've been destroying my BF% loss according to my caliper measurements. Hopefully I'll hit my 10% goal by the end of this challenge and then I can revamp my overall mission accordingly. If I continue at this progress rate it should be easy. I've also upped my squat weight after coming back from getting hit by a car at the beginning of the challenge and being wary of doing any squats at all, so major win there.

So far this challenge has been going fantastic, so well that I'm going to keep pushing myself and focus on upping weights again by the end of it, which I think is reasonable. I still need to get in that 30-mile bike ride and hit my hiking goal, but I still have three weeks left!

Per usual I've been nailing my diet goals, although I went a little overboard with chocolate this week, so I need to reign that in. Next week might be trickier because I'm hosting a joint birthday party... need to avoid sweets at all costs. Of course, I'm prepping most of the food so it should be easy!

I hope everyone else is doing well, let's destroy this challenge!

Left to do today: Go to the gym.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Keeping strong man.  That's a shame about KRF.  I just realized; I'm probably gonna destroy that strongman thing.  I've been training for 6 months with a damn hammer that they use.  I'm gonna do the mini-challenge pretty soon too.

Keeping strong man.  That's a shame about KRF.  I just realized; I'm probably gonna destroy that strongman thing.  I've been training for 6 months with a damn hammer that they use.  I'm gonna do the mini-challenge pretty soon too.

Nice. I was looking forward to trying some of that stuff. Next year though!

Level 5 Viking Berserker

The only important things about today's workout were a 1 mile run in 8:56 minutes (fuck yeah) and two 40 sec. planks.

UNF.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Doing excellent, Ravnos, as usual. ;) Think you could maybe take a rain check on one of your other weekend plans and make that 30 mile bike ride a reality this weekend? *nudge nudge* Not like I'm in any position to nudge anybody - actually, I plan on stalking you and the rest of the Fanatics so I don't end up losing everything I've been working for, since I sign out on leave this Sunday (eep! 30 days of NO WORK!!!) Keep going! I'm right behind you! :D

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Doing excellent, Ravnos, as usual. ;) Think you could maybe take a rain check on one of your other weekend plans and make that 30 mile bike ride a reality this weekend? *nudge nudge* Not like I'm in any position to nudge anybody - actually, I plan on stalking you and the rest of the Fanatics so I don't end up losing everything I've been working for, since I sign out on leave this Sunday (eep! 30 days of NO WORK!!!) Keep going! I'm right behind you! :D

Thanks. It's been a pretty solid week. I had a bit of cheat and ate some ice cream last night to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday, with a little bit of organic blue corn chips with the primal tacos I made, but I weighted myself today for the first time in about 2 weeks and I'm down to 176 so... yeeeaahhh.

I went for a 4-mile bike ride today :-P so progress there. I'm going to work in the 30 miles next weekend. Which will help work off the food from a b-day party I'm hosting next weekend, so it works out.

30 days of no work sounds amazing I have to say. Just don't let it kill your motivation or productivity with fitness :). We'll keep you going. Leave no man (or lady) behind, etc. etc. all that.

I'm thinking about checking out a local parkour group that meets on Sundays (and Fridays I guess) at a park near my house. I did parkour in college (7 or 8 years ago), but it's been a long time. Worth it I think, if they are cool.

http://americas.parkourgenerations.com/classes/weekend-wakeup

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Thanks. It's been a pretty solid week. I had a bit of cheat and ate some ice cream last night to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday, with a little bit of organic blue corn chips with the primal tacos I made, but I weighted myself today for the first time in about 2 weeks and I'm down to 176 so... yeeeaahhh.

I went for a 4-mile bike ride today :-P so progress there. I'm going to work in the 30 miles next weekend. Which will help work off the food from a b-day party I'm hosting next weekend, so it works out.

30 days of no work sounds amazing I have to say. Just don't let it kill your motivation or productivity with fitness :). We'll keep you going. Leave no man (or lady) behind, etc. etc. all that.

I'm thinking about checking out a local parkour group that meets on Sundays (and Fridays I guess) at a park near my house. I did parkour in college (7 or 8 years ago), but it's been a long time. Worth it I think, if they are cool.

You've officially gotten me thinking about picking up a bike to use while I'm in Korea (since I won't have a car there). And YAY BIRTHDAY PARTIES!!! My fiance' is a fuddy-duddy and won't let me throw him any kind of party... don't worry, I'll break him down eventually! Is there a theme for the party? Doesn't matter, get a piñata anyways! :D Nothing is more fun than beating the crap out of paper mache' object and being showered in prizes! 

Don't worry, I've got you and the rest of the Fanatics behind me; I can't not succeed. :)

And that parkour group looks amazing! You are SO lucky to have those kinds of things in your area, and I highly recommend you go for it, especially since you used to enjoy it before and haven't been able to in a while. It will be a treat!

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

I've always been very overweight so I've never done parkour.  It does look really fun though.  I remember there was a show on mtv about parkour challenges that I ended up watching a few times.  Pretty cool.

Your progress is kind of amazing!  Doing great, half way through this challenge already!

Thanks! I push myself, maybe too hard, but it get's the job done.

I went to check out that parkour group today and they look pretty solid, so I may start doing that on Sundays starting next week.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Updates updates updates...

Where has this challenge gone!?

Last week was interesting, I got a lot done but didn't feel like I accomplished much, until I took my measurements yesterday.

Measurements:

Weight: 178 lb

Neck: 16"

Chest: 41.75"

Bicep (right): 13.25"

Forearm (right): 11.5"

Waist: 36"

Hips: 36.5"

Thigh (right): 23.25"

Calf (right): 16"

Body Fat%: 12.5% (Using a 7-point test)

If you looked at my primary mission that spanned this challenge and my last it was to get to a 34 or 36" waist. So far I've dropped 2 inches this challenge... so... ummm... if I can drop the last 2 I'll have completed my overarching quest in just two challenge, which is amazing.

I only lost 0.2% BF since the last measurement but I honestly expected that, it starts to slow down once you reach a certain percentage and I also upped my calorie intake ever so slightly when I hit 180 in order to start maintaining more than losing, as I don't want to lose significant amounts of LBM.

As far as meeting goals went, I'd say everything went solid. I made progress on my 30 mile bike ride (4 miles) but I didn't go hiking (more on that for this week...) but all in all an excellent week. I also spent the weekend watching LOTR back-to-back (extended cuts), which was just awesome in general as it has been a while since I watched all of them.

I maintained my diet, worked out 3 timed, walked 11.7 miles and ran 3, so all good there.

Onward into the home stretch!

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Finally got arund to checking out your thread and it looks like you're doing great and killing those goals! Impressive how much BF% you've dropped since you started. Looks like you're going to really do great!

Thanks! I made some major lifestyle changes around the same time I joined Nerd Fitness (drinking a lot less being the biggest one, completely cutting carbs instead of mostly cutting them out, etc.) and it's made a huge impact!

Level 5 Viking Berserker

36 waist?  I don't think I'll ever get to that.  Great job, man.

Thanks! I was a scrawny kid and went from 30 to a 40 over a 7 year span... dropping back to 36 in just 3 months feels amazing.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines