Tiggs86 Falldown7times Standup8

Amandaba

Fall down seven times, Stand-up eight- Japanese Proverb 

Last challenge I thought I'd leave the nest and join the Rangers. Turns out I wasn't ready and fell flat on my face. A mix of end of summer celebrations, trips/vacations, poor planning, a difficult work schedule, and personal stresses-and I landed on the Struggle Bus. I discovered that trying to fit in 6 days worth of exercise (3 cardio, 3 weight training) every week is not realistic most weeks, with my 12 hour shifts, as well as forcing myself to eat 5 servings of fruit and veggies caused me to feel nauseated and have to stay up late just and force myself to eat so I could "get that last serving". My life goal had been to work on crafting projects one hour a day when I wasn't working( I have 2 kid quilts that need to be done by October, and 4 that need to be done by February, 2 Christmas stockings, and other half finished crafts laying around.), . Well, I didn't take into account that I go on day trips some days I don't work, I'm recovering from a stretch 12 hour shifts, or there are more important things to  worry about first (like housework!) I ended up driving myself batty and eventually just gave up. I've learned from my failures and have reworked my goals this time around.

GOAL 1: Complete at least one workout everyday (but one!) that I'm not working. That means some weeks I'll be at working out 6 days and others only 3-4 (depending if it's night shift or not, those take up 2 days per one shift!). It can be either cardio or weight training depending on what I wanna do that day- I will try and keep it even though! NOTE: My shoulder and neck are currently KILLING ME! (swelling & spasms, limited range of motion) for no good reason, so until that gets resolved (seeing Chiropractor about it!) I'm not going to work on this Goal as I can't really do anything but lay on a heating pad and walk around right now. Hoping after next week I'll be good as new!  3STR 3STA

GOAL 2: Use fruit/veggie with every meal. I won't get to the "5 servings a day" with that but it's a start! I get 2 byes a week to accommodate going out.  2CON 2CHA

Life Quest: Everyday I am not working and am going to be around I will spend at least one hour on housework or crafts. As mentioned above I have a ton of crafts that need to get done in a short amount of time- 1 quilt by the end of next week (I should be finishing this weekend if my shoulder allows me), 1 by mid-November, 2 Christmas stockings by Dec 1st, 2 quilts by January, and 2 by February (why do my friends and family haveta be so darn fertile!). I also have unfinished crafts everywhere that I'd like to finish up so I can start on the really cool stuff (Renfest Captain's jacket and a Renaissance era Assassians Creed inspired dress(?) for a couple of friends.) Last challenge my house became a terrible disaster, because I prioritized my crafts. I discovered last week if I just let myself do what I want (housework or crafts) I end up getting more done, work on it longer, and am generally more happy with myself.  3WIS

Late entry GOAL 3 I'm going to start saving. Each payperiod (every 2 weeks starting this Friday) I will transfer $50 into my savings account. I also will be putting money in a jar weekly for savings (this will more than likely be a "fun money" jar but I can't access until a year is over. It starts out as $1 for week one, $2 week 2, $3 week 3....$20 week 20 etc. It's suppose to save $1378 after 52 weeks. I won't see much happening in this challenge up hopefully it'll get the ball rolling and next year I'll have a healthy savings account! 2WIS

Grading-A - 100% B - 75% C - 50% D - 25% F - 0%

My Main Quest still hasn't changed (copied/pasted from previous challenge)

To be able to complete the obstacles quickly (like their meant for) and to be one of the friends on the team that can make if over the obstacle and be able to turn around and help those that can't do it alone. Instead of the other way around.

My motivation?

Run For Your Lives  has a set of adult-sized monkey bars and I made it across them! Never in my life have I been able to make it past  pesky bar #3. People were falling off all around and I kept going! It was REALLY slow and I could only do it one bar at a time (not hand over hand) and had to swing myself back and forth to get momentum enough to make it to the next bar but I MADE IT! I also was the last person on out small 3 person team with one of my flags intact, I actually still had it up until the second to last zombie horde (I was the only one still "alive" out of a group of 8-10 people who charged the zoms with me, to protect my flag) which was WAY better than I thought I'd do.  I couldn't believe that in 6wks of 2x a week strength and 3x per week running training I could go from not ever being able to do monkey bars to completing them and being able to pick up enough speed and agility to dodge and weave around that many zoms for as long as I did!  I can't wait to see what I can do next!

My reminders?

Everyone got a medal (survived or infected depending on your status) and a Warrior Wear workout shirt with Run For Your Lives on it. I wear it to the gym and while I'm watching my form I see that logo and imagine myself flying through obstacles and dodging zombies, and helping my team survive the Zombie Apocalypse!

I've also noticed that a lot of my clothes are fitting better and those that fit well before my first challenge are now bordering too big. Side Effects! YAYNESS!

Here's my photo Album (beware Before pics): http://nerdfitnessre...urneytoawesome/ 

Previous challenges- Challenge #1-http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/29726-tiggs1stchallenge/ Harry Potter Mini Challenge 1, 3, 6 complete -Adventurer

Challenge #2-http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/33568-tiggs86-takes-on-the-terrain-park/ 

"I don't want you to save me. I want you to stand by my side as I save myself."-unknown

Welcome back to Adventure land!!  

Its great to have you here and I really like your goals. Specific but realistic for you. 

What kind of workouts do you enjoy doing?

Good luck with the challenge

Jo

x

Race: Hobbit (Everyone needs 2nd Breakfast)

Level 4

Class: Adventurer

Strength: 8.5 Dexterity: 4 Stamina: 16.5 Constitution: 14 Wisdom: 9 Charisma: 4.5

Jo2926 - Stumbling back towards the light

Goal 1 Progress = 2/42
Goal 2 Progress = 3/24
Goal 3 Progress = 1/18
Goal 4 Progress =2 /42

Great to see you back Tiggs.  For the forcing of extra veg/fruit servings; did you ever make smoothies?  I've found that it's a lot easier when instead of eating fruit, you instead have a fruit drink with your meal.

777 - holy post

I did-as a snack or breakfast and STILL didn't make it most days. Didn't help much that my stomach was being weird and making me feel sick every time I ate for pretty much the entire month of August.WHOA HOLY POST! Must be good luck! (ps my computer tried to type god luck ;))

"I don't want you to save me. I want you to stand by my side as I save myself."-unknown

I've also noticed that a lot of my clothes are fitting better and those that fit well before the last challenge are now bordering too big. Side Effects! YAYNESS!

That is awesome! Great reworking of the goals to make them more manageable. You are doing well already!

Aussie Bush Ranger - Training with the Monks

'I'll fight but not surrender', cried the wild colonial... GRRL!

Project 365 - Becoming BatGirl

Current Challenge

Soups and stews I found were brilliant ways of adding extra veg. I especially like homemade chicken soup - cook chicken breast pieces in stock, and add whatever veggies I can find and a few herbs. I leave it as a broth with chunky pieces. 

Race: Hobbit (Everyone needs 2nd Breakfast)

Level 4

Class: Adventurer

Strength: 8.5 Dexterity: 4 Stamina: 16.5 Constitution: 14 Wisdom: 9 Charisma: 4.5

Jo2926 - Stumbling back towards the light

Goal 1 Progress = 2/42
Goal 2 Progress = 3/24
Goal 3 Progress = 1/18
Goal 4 Progress =2 /42

yeah, before I went paleo and now whole 30, I made a pretty awesome chicken soup with butterbeans, a whole chicken, diced onion, green beans, and carrots.  Lasted forever.  It's amazing how much meat you get off of a chicken when you crockpot the whole thing and then peel all the meat off the bones.

Day 1- So far have had serving of veggies with meal thus far, with supper to go (I didn't eat breakfast was woken up by the BF this morning to grocery shopping and didn't give myself enough time to get ready, make a grocery list AND eat breakfast!). I haven't done any workingout. My shoulder feels ok so long as I'm not sitting in a car or picking anything up (a gallon of milk HURT this morning!) and I'm afraid of what will happen when I run (I REALLY pump my arms when I'm running). See the Chiropractor again tomorrow and hopefully he'll fix me with his magic hands.

I am not real sure how long I worked on quilt #1 today but I finished it! TADA!

IMG_3087_zps283f0dc8.jpg

Aw man, now I feel guilty about all the unfinished quilts I have... Maybe in the next couple of weeks I'll get the machine out! I will look to your thread for further inspiration!

haha don't feel guilty! I have 5 more I gotta do! Found out yesterday my cousin is having twin boys so that'll make the planning a bit easier (I was having a heck of a time figuring out gender neutral quilts that weren't "blah")

thanks guys!

DAY 2- Chiropractor says I'm healing(more range of motion A LOT less swelling), going back Thurs, and hoping to be good to go to start my weekend to work Friday. Shoulder felt fantastic until I was in the car for a few minutes then did not feel well the rest of the day, I am now absolutely positive my shoulder HATES it when I'm in the car. Other than taking 3 trips into town (20min each way), I've spent the day watching movies whilst laying on a heating pad trying to calm my muscles down (I had ran into a friend at the chiropractor and we figured since both of us were broken we could watch movies and be broken together).  Fruit/veggie with meals-wise I didn't do so hot. I and my friend went out for brunch and my veggies/fruit consisted of fried potatoes and OJ then for supper we baked a pizza. Had some grapes once I got home tonight to make up for at least one meal. I don't want to get into the habit of counting juice and fried veggies. I haven't been home to work on anything but last night I DID start working on Quilt #2 and got all the pieces cut out and positioned the way I want them. I pinned 94 out of the 96 pieces tonight (the last two are awkward and will haveto wait until I sew a few pieces together), shoulder wasn't too keen on the reaching and pinning motion (left shoulder and left handed go figure!) but I got it done.

http://www.theluckypennyblog.com/2013/02/the-best-cauliflower-crust-pizza.html

In whole 30, you're not supposed to 'whole 30-ify' your old comfort foods, because that means you still have that link between (this looking food) = (happyness)

So I can't make it now, but I totally want to try.  A while back I wanted to use cauliflower whipped up as a potato topper for a shepard's pie but it was too runny.  According to that recipe, I never squeezed out all the water with a dish cloth =/

Saw the chiropractor today, shoulder's doing better. I haven't had to lay on a heating pad since Tuesday, was able to drive with minimal discomfort, turn my head and carry my purse yesterday. I also think I know what I did! My neck and shoulder felt fine yesterday then I went to a friend's house and had my head turned a lot for conversation-after that it was angry at me again. I'm thinking it had to have been the position I was in when I was fishing (the line was nearly behind me all morning so the BF's line and mine wouldn't tangle!) Yay for mystery solved! I have one more appt Monday to put me back together after my nightshift weekend then will hopefully be let loose (*fingerscrossed*).

Nutrition-wise I've used up my 2 byes now this week and missed one yesterday. But today I had a healthy serving of green beans with my fish and potatoes (I haven't had green beans is so long!) And tonight I will be creating some crockpot salsa chicken that has black beans and corn IN IT for my night shift meals *sneakysneaky*. Tonight I may have some corn or my squash as my veggie. I LOVE SQUISH...I MEAN SQUASH! I sometimes just cut one in half, and eat it as my meal right out of it, like it's own perfect bowl. :peaceful:

Oh, and I've gotten about 40min of housework complete. Last night I cut out pieces for my RenFest mug holder and coin bag(?) so I don't have to lug around a purse all day. AND I ordered some Dr Seuss Cat in the Hat/ Thing 1 and Thing 2 fabrics for quilts 3 &4 (they cost probably twice as much as unlicensed fabrics but there's gotta be like a rule or something about twin boys needed Thing 1 and Thing 2 blankies :semi-twins:)  AND I gave quilt #1 to the little birthday girl it was made for. I don't think I've seen her smile so big! THEN she noticed there were pegusi on it and I thought her face might split in half! Her older brother tugged on my shirt and said "my birthday's November 13th". I told him that's not much time to make a quilt. Little does he know his is quilt #2!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines