• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Mead Hall: The Warrior Water Cooler

Just in case I haven't squealed about it enough, I've been selected for the Scottish team at the Commonwealth Powerlifting Championships in Richmond, BC, Canada in December.

My first internationals! :D

Bloody freaking great news! Awesome!

Just in case I haven't squealed about it enough, I've been selected for the Scottish team at the Commonwealth Powerlifting Championships in Richmond, BC, Canada in December.

My first internationals! :D

SUUUUUUPER AWESOME!

Warriors, come out and plaaayy, I need a little bit of help from you all.

1st: To get an idea of what I'm trying to do, read this... http://rebellion.ner...aid-challenges/

2nd: What would be some easy/medium/hard tasks that I could use for boss fights? Easy would warrior like things that others could also complete, medium would be hard for a non-warrior but easy for a warrior, and hard would be difficult for a warrior, and extremely hard for a non-warrior.

3rd: ????

4th: Profit

You can either post here, or message me any ideas you have. Once I get something put together, I'll look for testers to try it out and give feed back, I'd like to get a series of these going at some point.

1st: To get an idea of what I'm trying to do, read this... http://rebellion.ner...aid-challenges/

2nd: What would be some easy/medium/hard tasks that I could use for boss fights? Easy would warrior like things that others could also complete, medium would be hard for a non-warrior but easy for a warrior, and hard would be difficult for a warrior, and extremely hard for a non-warrior.

You can either post here, or message me any ideas you have. Once I get something put together, I'll look for testers to try it out and give feed back, I'd like to get a series of these going at some point.

Barbell Squats. For difficulty, make it frequency. Non-warriors would get hella DOMs and have a hard time doing them multiple days in a row. For warriors, it is a good lesson learing how to manage squatting at a high frequency, and what the benefits and drawbacks are.

This makes me want to institute a squat every day mini...

Barbell Squats. For difficulty, make it frequency. Non-warriors would get hella DOMs and have a hard time doing them multiple days in a row. For warriors, it is a good lesson learing how to manage squatting at a high frequency, and what the benefits and drawbacks are.

This makes me want to institute a squat every day mini...

I'm thinking about the fights being a one time deal, so you could do one fight as a group each week or something like that... some fights might go 2 days in a week if there's a failure somewhere.

Though it could be a staged fight, where day 1 is phase 1, day 2 is phase 2.... I like this... definitely noted now that I think about it.

Every day or every session?

For some reason, I am thinking he means SED, or Squat Every Day.

Now if we listen to BroScience, I would imagine it would be Squat Another Day - or SAD.

For some reason, I am thinking he means SED, or Squat Every Day.

Now if we listen to BroScience, I would imagine it would be Squat Another Day - or SAD.

That could be entertaining to watch. I wouldn't be playing.

Just an attempt to centralize the information/discussion, if you have anything to add to this idea please join the RCAO... http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/73076-raid-challenge-administration-office/

I've already noted what's in this thread...

New recruit here just finishing up her first challenge....

Trying to decide on my guild. I have embraced Barbell Battalion Level 1 at the academy and my main quest is to be able to do a full proper push up.  Although I love to run, hike, do yoga, be outdoorsy, etc. etc. my main focus is gaining strength and I've been loving my progress so far on squats, deadlifts, and the like. Should I be a warrior since that is my focus? Even though I think in life I am probably more of a ranger? Or should I jump all in with the crazy and be an assassin since that would probably be the dream me?

Also, I love food. Thoughts?

Trying to decide on my guild. I have embraced Barbell Battalion Level 1 at the academy and my main quest is to be able to do a full proper push up.  Although I love to run, hike, do yoga, be outdoorsy, etc. etc. my main focus is gaining strength and I've been loving my progress so far on squats, deadlifts, and the like. Should I be a warrior since that is my focus? Even though I think in life I am probably more of a ranger? Or should I jump all in with the crazy and be an assassin since that would probably be the dream me?

Hang on while I go through your thread........

Warriors are all about lifting heavy things.  Squats.  Deadlifts.  And fooooooood.  Eat All Things.  (EAT for short.)

The main question for you is:  Just how badly have you been bit by the lifting bug?

• Like 2

Congrats on finishing your first challenge :).

I had a similar dilemma when choosing a guild for my second challenge since my interests are varied (dancing, bodyweight strength training, hiking, yoga...). However, I decided that, at least at first, I wanted to be in the guild that would best support my main goal: getting stronger using barbell strength training. Now it's over a year later, and I never left because lifting is still what I'm most passionate about. Nonetheless, I still often incorporate goals into my challenges (such as meditation and, on occasion, conditioning (!)) that aren't typically seen as "Warrior" goals, as do many others in the guild--we're a varied bunch. Likewise, there are people outside of the Warrior guild that are devoted to heavy lifting (for example, Hazard and Urgan are both Assassins who like picking up heavy things). 

Ultimately, I'd suggest choosing the guild that can provide the best support for your current focus. There's no reason you can't change guilds later (or hop over to one for just a challenge or two) if your goals change.

Hang on while I go through your thread........

Warriors are all about lifting heavy things.  Squats.  Deadlifts.  And fooooooood.  Eat All Things.  (EAT for short.)

The main question for you is:  Just how badly have you been bit by the lifting bug?

Short answer: I am liking it more than I thought I would!

I took to lifting because I stalled out on the BBWW and gave it up earlier in the year. With the barbell workouts I haven't missed a single one. One issue is that my job in the past has taken me to places for long periods of time where there is no gym or limited equipment available so I might have to go back to BW workouts. I just find them so frustrating because I don't want to bang out squats and lunges ad nauseam while struggling to do any sort of pushup. 

I thought lifting would be a means to an end but I do really like lifting. Moreso though I want to be able to do a pushup (and someday a chin up/pull up) so that if I am hanging off of a cliff in a bus ala Jurassic Park: Lost World I can hang on and get myself out and others. Every time I see that scene I think....man I would be dead already. So my long term goal is probably to be a Ranger/Assassin but right now almost all my thinking is Warrior related....is my form right....can I EAT?  Have I had enough of EAT to keep going? Why do I suck at Overhead Presses? Etc. Etc. 

• Like 1

Congrats on finishing your first challenge :).

I had a similar dilemma when choosing a guild for my second challenge since my interests are varied (dancing, bodyweight strength training, hiking, yoga...). However, I decided that, at least at first, I wanted to be in the guild that would best support my main goal: getting stronger using barbell strength training. Now it's over a year later, and I never left because lifting is still what I'm most passionate about. Nonetheless, I still often incorporate goals into my challenges (such as meditation and, on occasion, conditioning (!)) that aren't typically seen as "Warrior" goals, as do many others in the guild--we're a varied bunch. Likewise, there are people outside of the Warrior guild that are devoted to heavy lifting (for example, Hazard and Urgan are both Assassins who like picking up heavy things). 

Ultimately, I'd suggest choosing the guild that can provide the best support for your current focus. There's no reason you can't change guilds later (or hop over to one for just a challenge or two) if your goals change.

Thanks Alanna!  That sounds like I am in the exact same boat you were a year ago. I had meditation as my side quest for this challenge and want to keep it up. For the next challenge I was thinking I wanted to work up to Barbell Level 3, keep increasing my running stamina 2-3 times a week (I am recovering from a nasty shin splint injury from last year), and the third one was going to be a nutrition one but I decided I like my eating pretty much where it is (no processed foods, lots of home cooking, limited refined carbs and alcohol, no added sugar, some dairy, whole foods, lots of veggies, etc.) and I tried tracking on MyFitnessPal and hated every moment of it for the handful of days I tried it. So my third challenge I was thinking of making all about the pushup...following the progression that Steve laid out in an article.  So that list doesn't really scream Warrior but progressing in my pushups and my workouts is what I need the most help with. 

Are warriors also pushup people?  

bahaha does MFP ever say that? Mine is always so judgy. 

In any case, thanks for all the help Sam Ashen and Alanna. I am going to bed now with a copy of Starting Strength....that's probably a baby Warrior thing right? 

• Like 3

Short answer: I am liking it more than I thought I would!

I took to lifting because I stalled out on the BBWW and gave it up earlier in the year. With the barbell workouts I haven't missed a single one. One issue is that my job in the past has taken me to places for long periods of time where there is no gym or limited equipment available so I might have to go back to BW workouts. I just find them so frustrating because I don't want to bang out squats and lunges ad nauseam while struggling to do any sort of pushup. 

I thought lifting would be a means to an end but I do really like lifting. Moreso though I want to be able to do a pushup (and someday a chin up/pull up) so that if I am hanging off of a cliff in a bus ala Jurassic Park: Lost World I can hang on and get myself out and others. Every time I see that scene I think....man I would be dead already. So my long term goal is probably to be a Ranger/Assassin but right now almost all my thinking is Warrior related....is my form right....can I EAT?  Have I had enough of EAT to keep going? Why do I suck at Overhead Presses? Etc. Etc. 

Haha, that is very much a Warrior mindset. And yes, OHP is pure evil.

Thanks Alanna!  That sounds like I am in the exact same boat you were a year ago. I had meditation as my side quest for this challenge and want to keep it up. For the next challenge I was thinking I wanted to work up to Barbell Level 3, keep increasing my running stamina 2-3 times a week (I am recovering from a nasty shin splint injury from last year), and the third one was going to be a nutrition one but I decided I like my eating pretty much where it is (no processed foods, lots of home cooking, limited refined carbs and alcohol, no added sugar, some dairy, whole foods, lots of veggies, etc.) and I tried tracking on MyFitnessPal and hated every moment of it for the handful of days I tried it. So my third challenge I was thinking of making all about the pushup...following the progression that Steve laid out in an article.  So that list doesn't really scream Warrior but progressing in my pushups and my workouts is what I need the most help with. 

Are warriors also pushup people?  

Ah, shin splints... that's actually what precipitated my transition to powerlifting.

I've seen more pull-up goals than push-up goals, but I'm sure plenty of push-ups get done among Warriors, too (albeit probably fewer per capita than among the Assassins). Incline push-ups will be your main friend as you work up to a full push-up :).

• Like 1

I've seen more pull-up goals than push-up goals, but I'm sure plenty of push-ups get done among Warriors, too (albeit probably fewer per capita than among the Assassins). Incline push-ups will be your main friend as you work up to a full push-up :).

Well I would LOVE to have a pull up goal but I figure I should be able to crawl before being able to walk?  At the moment I don't need to do boat loads of pushups.....one would be nice!  Then maybe ten.....then maybe 3x10.....

• Like 1