• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Mead Hall: The Warrior Water Cooler

Are warriors also pushup people?  

I'm not exclusively a pushup person, but I do like to be able to do them. Bench pressing works the same muscle groups as pushups, so each one will help to improve the other. Arnold was a great warrior (both in film and the gym) and he suggests that you should be able to perform bodyweight exercises before weights are even necessary. While I didn't start with bodyweight exercises alone, I think there's something to be said for the ability to move your own bodyweight and not just be "All Show and No Go

I'm not exclusively a pushup person, but I do like to be able to do them. Bench pressing works the same muscle groups as pushups, so each one will help to improve the other. Arnold was a great warrior (both in film and the gym) and he suggests that you should be able to perform bodyweight exercises before weights are even necessary. While I didn't start with bodyweight exercises alone, I think there's something to be said for the ability to move your own bodyweight and not just be "All Show and No Go

I agree. Even though I have fallen in love with lifting weights, I still want to be solid at the bodyweight exercises so that I think is why I am so fixated on being able to do a pushup (which I mean a proper, full, tricep pushup). At the same time though I was getting pretty frustrated with doing bodyweight exercises alone and seeing no improvement on my pushup (while doing squats and lunges ad nauseam). Now that we're over a third of the way in my first challenge as a warrior I can push myself up a good few inches off the ground....still can't quite make it all the way up though without my left side giving out.

I made my way up to 70lbs on the bench press which was a slow process since the first time I picked up the bar two months ago I thought I would drop it on my chest. I think it has really helped improve my pushup while also practicing the incline pushups at lower and lower settings on the power rack. Would you have any other tips? I am hoping to bang one out by Christmas, but my left side seems to be the first to fail.

• Like 1

Push-ups are a great general strength exercise, and probably more useful than bench pressing up until the point that you can do 10+ and need the barbell for loading weight wise past that. My personal goal is to do 50 in a row. PR is 40. I think I could only do in the teens when I started NF, not sure.

Edit: the reverse is also true, if you can't do a push up, the bench is a great way to get incremental loading in the same muscle at weights below what a push up represents. There's definitely carry over both way, my push ups numbers go right up with my bench even when I'm not doing push ups themselves.

Edit edit: for you, my tip is to keep on keeping on. Your plan is solid, using lower and lower settings on the incline push-ups as you can and working bench and improving that. Between those two, you'll get there. Don't worry about setting a date for it, you can't control how quickly things like this progress, you can only control the work you put in to provide a catalyst for them to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I agree. Even though I have fallen in love with lifting weights, I still want to be solid at the bodyweight exercises so that I think is why I am so fixated on being able to do a pushup (which I mean a proper, full, tricep pushup). At the same time though I was getting pretty frustrated with doing bodyweight exercises alone and seeing no improvement on my pushup (while doing squats and lunges ad nauseam). Now that we're over a third of the way in my first challenge as a warrior I can push myself up a good few inches off the ground....still can't quite make it all the way up though without my left side giving out.

I made my way up to 70lbs on the bench press which was a slow process since the first time I picked up the bar two months ago I thought I would drop it on my chest. I think it has really helped improve my pushup while also practicing the incline pushups at lower and lower settings on the power rack. Would you have any other tips? I am hoping to bang one out by Christmas, but my left side seems to be the first to fail.

When I started NF last December, I struggled with one push-up. Now I can do 35 without breaking a sweat as well as decline push-ups and push-ups with claps. It's just a matter of trying to be better than you were yesterday.

I've been working on pull-ups and something that I've seen recommended with that is negatives. This could also be applied to push-ups. Start in the push-up position, flat back, arms extended. Then from there slowly lower yourself to the floor. Do this 5-10 times (if you can, otherwise as many as you can). This will use the same muscle groups but will not require as much force to propel you up. This should help to make these muscles stronger. Try this every day for a week and then try to do a push-up normally after the week and see if you are closer to completing one.

Just read the NF post about plateaus.  I've been working out for about 4 months now.  And I wonder if I've reach a plateau.  How long does it take to determine if you've reach a plateau?  Two work outs?  Two weeks? When you hit a certain body fat %?

Day 137 Progress

I'm pretty sure I tore some muscle under my left arm pit/side back area.  It causes pain when I try a pull-up or chin-up or when I do a deadlift.  So, I'm gonna take a few weeks off of working that muscle and do Squats instead. Ugh.

I thought doing clean/press and deadlifts would still work out the same muscles as doing Squats.  Boy was I wrong.  After doing squats for just two work outs - I couldn't believe how sore I was.  I do go past parallel (butt getting close to the ground) when I squat.

To be open, I feel like I've been sloppy with my diet this past week because of the Christmas break.  Being at home with my wife and kids, spending a day at grandma's, etc... eating chocolate treats, slice of pumpkin pie, etc.  I also made some biscuits from scratch to go with the turkey bacon and eggs for breakfast.  Where usually, I just eat turkey bacon and eggs for breakfast on the weekends.

So, perhaps its not a plateau... but just that time of the year when its most difficult to Stay on Target. 

-Heatwave

Plateau's are hard to determine, but I think you explained it away.  You should go see a doctor about your injury, maybe get some physical therapy if needed.

You've made some monster progress this year.  Congrats.

So one day you get this idea that you should be doing barbell lifts.  Then you find this silly website about nerds getting fit.  And God brings a coworker into your life who was on a collegiate powerlifting team.  And he's going to be loading at a competition...that is less than 2 miles from your house.  So you go.  And you love it.  And you keep lifting and competing and stuff.  And then one day this happens.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8cFrNV0RtfaRzRXcVE5azMxY2M/view?usp=sharing

you don't even know about that.  you keep lifting and 2 years later this happens.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8cFrNV0RtfaSEdVajhDamZXb1k/view?usp=sharing

Amazing where things take you.

• Like 8

So one day you get this idea that you should be doing barbell lifts.  Then you find this silly website about nerds getting fit.  And God brings a coworker into your life who was on a collegiate powerlifting team.  And he's going to be loading at a competition...that is less than 2 miles from your house.  So you go.  And you love it.  And you keep lifting and competing and stuff.  And then one day this happens.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8cFrNV0RtfaRzRXcVE5azMxY2M/view?usp=sharing

you don't even know about that.  you keep lifting and 2 years later this happens.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8cFrNV0RtfaSEdVajhDamZXb1k/view?usp=sharing

Amazing where things take you.

Those are seriously cool, wildross.

Makes me want to go out and lift again (and maybe compete in powerlifting).

So close to when I'll be in London! Will be making a separate trip for Scotland though at some point and will definitely be hitting you up for the names of where you get all those gorgeous coffees ☕ï¸

So close to when I'll be in London! Will be making a separate trip for Scotland though at some point and will definitely be hitting you up for the names of where you get all those gorgeous coffees ☕ï¸

I make some of them... If you're very nice then I might make you one myself. ;)

Just floating around guys. Have a job that doesn't involve working in a freezer or driving a truck. Sgood to see you all still lifting though ;)

• Like 1

Unrelated. There should be seats in the middle of the grocery store for resting when you go shopping after doing squats.

There have been times when I've considered using the grocery store go-cart to shop, but I've never actually had the balls to do it.

• Like 1