• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Mead Hall: The Warrior Water Cooler

1 hour ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Details!

I thought I'd try a spinning class for funsies. I like to cycle and it said there would be music, so why not, it's upper body day. But when I got there, I couldn't figure out how to get my feet into the little basket things properly, and I've only been on a spinning bike once before - nearly ripped my leg out of its socket that time because I forgot to keep pedalling. So I was cautious but the instructor wanted us to stand up on the bikes. I tried, but it felt really unsafe because my feet weren't in the right place somehow. They were also doing something that I guess was supposed to mimic a push up off the handlebars, a lot of multi tasking going on. Mind you, I was just there for the cycling, so I just did that. It was a mix of not being comfortable with the bike standing up, and a healthy dose of not being arsed. The instructor did not like it, he kept saying "everybody stand up!". At my age, I'm a bit past the point where I feel I need to do stuff I don't want to do just because someone tells me to. Okay, especially if someone repeatedly tells me to. So I'm just pedalling along and enjoying the music. Eventually, he comes up to me and quite aggressively tells me to get up. I shake my head and he points to the door, pretty sure he said something but couldn't make it out. So I went to do some deadlifts. I tried, cardio, I tried!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, evabo said:

I thought I'd try a spinning class for funsies. I like to cycle and it said there would be music, so why not, it's upper body day. But when I got there, I couldn't figure out how to get my feet into the little basket things properly, and I've only been on a spinning bike once before - nearly ripped my leg out of its socket that time because I forgot to keep pedalling. So I was cautious but the instructor wanted us to stand up on the bikes. I tried, but it felt really unsafe because my feet weren't in the right place somehow. They were also doing something that I guess was supposed to mimic a push up off the handlebars, a lot of multi tasking going on. Mind you, I was just there for the cycling, so I just did that. It was a mix of not being comfortable with the bike standing up, and a healthy dose of not being arsed. The instructor did not like it, he kept saying "everybody stand up!". At my age, I'm a bit past the point where I feel I need to do stuff I don't want to do just because someone tells me to. Okay, especially if someone repeatedly tells me to. So I'm just pedalling along and enjoying the music. Eventually, he comes up to me and quite aggressively tells me to get up. I shake my head and he points to the door, pretty sure he said something but couldn't make it out. So I went to do some deadlifts. I tried, cardio, I tried!

i am floored that the instructor reacted this way. you should always be encouraged to only do as much as you feel comfortable doing. i know it's good to have someone "yell" at you in a boot camp sort of way but if you have you're reasons for not doing something (which you did) in a group class where the instructor has no idea what your circumstances may be they should always err on the side of caution. this is very silly. but hey - got you out of doing cardio ;)

• Like 3

Eventually, he comes up to me and quite aggressively tells me to get up. I shake my head and he points to the door, pretty sure he said something but couldn't make it out. So I went to do some deadlifts. I tried, cardio, I tried!

Ugh. Sounds like he's got some work to do in the people skills department. Had he taken you aside after class, asked about your concerns and addressed them, he maybe wouldn't have lost a student.

sent from my tiny particle accelerator

• Like 3

On 3/28/2016 at 10:18 AM, evabo said:

That just sounds rude!!!! Honestly it sounds like your instructor is an asshat.

He obviously knows you were a new student as he hasn't seen you before. Maybe instead of yelling at you he could actually help you and teach you.

• Like 4

Hello warriors! I am new to this guild! I used to be a ranger and then decided to focus just on lifting (and a little mobility) for now. I'm loving the barbells and the guild so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Are there any warriors in Winnipeg? Or does anyone know a good gym in Winnipeg? I'll be up there from tomorrow through Monday. I already missed this Monday's workout, and really don't want to miss two more.

OOH! OOH! OOH!

I got info on the SBD belt today! 

Apparently, it's an adjustable lever belt. You feed the belt through and then use the lever to tighten. That way it's easy to put on, take off and adjust between squats and deadlifts. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

OOH! OOH! OOH!

I got info on the SBD belt today! 

Apparently, it's an adjustable lever belt. You feed the belt through and then use the lever to tighten. That way it's easy to put on, take off and adjust between squats and deadlifts. 

Ohhhhh! Any idea on pricing? Heard it shouldn't be too steep? I may need one of these... After just buying the Inzer! (I even knew this was supposedly coming, but kinda gave up on it after 6 months with no news...)

Ohhhhh! Any idea on pricing? Heard it shouldn't be too steep? I may need one of these... After just buying the Inzer! (I even knew this was supposedly coming, but kinda gave up on it after 6 months with no news...)

I heard c.£140-160... So fairly steep. When has SBD ever been the cheap option?

It has still only made it to the "official news coming next week" point so it'll be months before it is out.

• Like 1

Just now, SpecialSundae said:

I heard c.£140-160... So fairly steep. When has SBD ever been the cheap option? emoji14.png

It has still only made it to the "official news coming next week" point so it'll be months before it is out.

Ahhh well, more time to save up I guess :-/  That is quite pricey.

3 hours ago, Rooks said:

Why can't I just spend all day surfing NF instead of doing this crappy work thing?

The establishment frowns upon this. 

132326136514.gif

3 hours ago, Rooks said:

Why can't I just spend all day surfing NF instead of doing this crappy work thing?

I used too, but my section got "general" email that described everything I did.

435.gif

• Like 3

What about this round of retesting old 2012 samples for the Oly lifters.

"Androgens, Androgens everywhere".

So many names crossed off of the list for Rio! I think they had a few days left to challenge or something, but i'm doubtful.

Who is now the top shot for mens 105s gold?