• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Mead Hall: The Warrior Water Cooler

Recommended Posts

On 21/06/2016 at 3:25 AM, Pat G said:

What about this round of retesting old 2012 samples for the Oly lifters.

"Androgens, Androgens everywhere".

So many names crossed off of the list for Rio! I think they had a few days left to challenge or something, but i'm doubtful.

Who is now the top shot for mens 105s gold? 

 

"I can't wait for 2036 to find out who won Rio."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i only watched one of those happen (unfortunately I couldn't get away with staying up all night just to keep updated), but there did seem to be an abundance of really lightweight or under-experienced spotters around the platform. I suppose it's the biggest issue when dealing with a sport that relies so heavily on volunteers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lack of training and/or experience was the main issue. At least one of the "tiny" guys behind the 120+ lifters on Sunday was a 105kg lifter.

 

I think it's really poor show, though, when everyone's whining about bad spotting but the vast majority would never dream of stepping up and doing so. We struggle to get spotters for comps in the UK because everyone's happy to show up to lift, happy to complain when the spotters suck but never happy to put a shift in as a spotter.

 

Commentary from Kelly, for those interested:

 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10206917595203370&id=1382613874

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not suggesting for a minute that this spotter should be discouraged from volunteering, but it is important that a spotter know what to do, and be capable of actually helping when things go bad. In the case of Kelly, I actually don't think it was a matter of the spotters being too weak, just simply not knowing how to help properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

I'm not suggesting for a minute that this spotter should be discouraged from volunteering, but it is important that a spotter know what to do, and be capable of actually helping when things go bad. In the case of Kelly, I actually don't think it was a matter of the spotters being too weak, just simply not knowing how to help properly.

 

Absolutely. He was trying to bicep curl the bar rather than getting his whole arm under the plate and lifting, as the guy on the other side was doing.

 

Learning to spot and load is actually an important skill and I wonder if powerlifting federations should run workshops on spotting and loading for those who want to do it properly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's stuff like this that makes me happy I happen to be a WL guy. Based on the varied and hilarious range of quality in our volunteers which are mostly limited to loading, refereeing, and other admin tasks I couldn't imagine putting my or one of my lifters safety into their hands. Is using your own spotters legal? I feel like if I coached or lifted in PL I'd have to go to every meet with my own team of "qualified" spotters or at least have a network of people I trust not to be total rods that would step in and spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jdanger said:

It's stuff like this that makes me happy I happen to be a WL guy. Based on the varied and hilarious range of quality in our volunteers which are mostly limited to loading, refereeing, and other admin tasks I couldn't imagine putting my or one of my lifters safety into their hands. Is using your own spotters legal? I feel like if I coached or lifted in PL I'd have to go to every meet with my own team of "qualified" spotters or at least have a network of people I trust not to be total rods that would step in and spot. 

 

No. They'd have to volunteer for the whole comp.

 

In all fairness, most spotters are pretty good and work really hard. Sometimes, things go wrong. I've seen more spotters injured by lifters being toerags than vice versa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SpecialSundae said:

I've seen more spotters injured by lifters being toerags than vice versa.

 

Ha, yeah. That's another angle and probably why I'd put a moratorium on my lifters spotting. Alas the cycle continues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jdanger said:

 

Ha, yeah. That's another angle and probably why I'd put a moratorium on my lifters spotting. Alas the cycle continues.

 

And there's the rub.

 

Basically, lifters won't spot because they're afraid of getting injured but then complain when there are no spotters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My last comp was held over 2 days with the ladies lifting on Saturday and men on Sunday. I lifted on Sat and volunteered on Sun. The problem was that even thought lots of people were willing to do that, there would have been a mismatch between spotters and loaders, so a few big guys got "stuck" (I don't actually think they minded) spotting all day Sunday. I spotted a little bit on bench until it got too heavy for comfort, then operated the bar lift thingy on deadlifts. The club hosting the competition ran a workshop for new volunteers and showed us what we needed to know. Spotting, changing rack height, etc. It was really very good, plus I got a free t-shirt :D  So it is possible, but obviously takes a lot of planning and effort (and individuals willing to put that work in).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Warriors,

 

I want to apologize to the Guild for my lack of presence in the last month.  I received a promotion at work

41afc8421867c22cab881dd34025630eed777ff7

But I went from 8 boring hours and plenty of time to surf the internet to,,,  9-10 hours of Hard work.

giphy.gif

 

I'm sorry I didn't get a challenge up this month, but I will do better next challenge.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Br0din said:

Hi Warriors,

 

I want to apologize to the Guild for my lack of presence in the last month.  I received a promotion at work

41afc8421867c22cab881dd34025630eed777ff7

But I went from 8 boring hours and plenty of time to surf the internet to,,,  9-10 hours of Hard work.

giphy.gif

 

I'm sorry I didn't get a challenge up this month, but I will do better next challenge.

Congratulations on the promotion!

 

Everyone needs a break sometimes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SpecialSundae said:

My training buddy Ali hit a new PB deadlift tonight. Nice 350kg at c.136kg. 

 

Can't wait to see him back on the platform!

 

 

While I would never say it to his face, from the safety of the internet I'll point out that dropping the bar equals no lift. ;-)

 

In seriousness, that's incredibly impressive, and makes me feel much less impressed by my 277/610 Deadlift.

 

I'll check out the website to bathe in the fountain of gains.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
While I would never say it to his face, from the safety of the internet I'll point out that dropping the bar equals no lift. ;-)

 

In seriousness, that's incredibly impressive, and makes me feel much less impressed by my 277/610 Deadlift.

 

I'll check out the website to bathe in the fountain of gains.

Don't worry, we all remind him in person.

He's an old hand. Used to lift equipped as a sub-junior.

And your deadlift is pretty impressive!

Marc at Online Strength Coach has been coaching me for the past two and a half years. He's a good guy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

And there's the rub.

 

Basically, lifters won't spot because they're afraid of getting injured but then complain when there are no spotters.

Best spotters I've seen are college powerlifting clubs. Young, strong and know what is needed

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2016 at 3:57 AM, SpecialSundae said:

The lack of training and/or experience was the main issue. At least one of the "tiny" guys behind the 120+ lifters on Sunday was a 105kg lifter.

 

I think it's really poor show, though, when everyone's whining about bad spotting but the vast majority would never dream of stepping up and doing so. We struggle to get spotters for comps in the UK because everyone's happy to show up to lift, happy to complain when the spotters suck but never happy to put a shift in as a spotter.

I've noticed this as well. Lots of people just want to lift, lift, lift, lift. But never volunteer. I know people who have competed in every single USAPL meet in the state, no matter how closely spaced. I've volunteered at more meets than I've lifted at. Luckily here most meets are local meets and run by high school teams as fundraisers. So the high school team does the loading and spotting and leaves it open to public to compete. Some of the larger meets need more hands though.

 

On 6/28/2016 at 8:08 AM, jdanger said:

It's stuff like this that makes me happy I happen to be a WL guy. Based on the varied and hilarious range of quality in our volunteers which are mostly limited to loading, refereeing, and other admin tasks I couldn't imagine putting my or one of my lifters safety into their hands. Is using your own spotters legal? I feel like if I coached or lifted in PL I'd have to go to every meet with my own team of "qualified" spotters or at least have a network of people I trust not to be total rods that would step in and spot. 

On 6/28/2016 at 8:17 AM, SpecialSundae said:

 

No. They'd have to volunteer for the whole comp.

 

In all fairness, most spotters are pretty good and work really hard. Sometimes, things go wrong. I've seen more spotters injured by lifters being toerags than vice versa.

It is not allowed in IPF, but in some other feds you can have your own spotters as long as they are there for the lifter meeting/ spotter training in the morning. Fed rules though.

 

On 7/1/2016 at 0:38 PM, Br0din said:

Hi Warriors,

 

I want to apologize to the Guild for my lack of presence in the last month.  I received a promotion at work

 

Congratulations!!! I'm also in the same work craziness boat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody have the Pendlay Do-Win lifting shoes? Did you size up or size down? How did you feel about the width? I have very wide feet and I have heard these are the best lifting option for people with wide feet.

 

These will pretty much be just for squat days. I have crosslift tr lifting shoes for deadlifts and the like. I want to save up to buy squat shoes for my birthday in a few months. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Does anybody have the Pendlay Do-Win lifting shoes? Did you size up or size down? How did you feel about the width? I have very wide feet and I have heard these are the best lifting option for people with wide feet.

 

These will pretty much be just for squat days. I have crosslift tr lifting shoes for deadlifts and the like. I want to save up to buy squat shoes for my birthday in a few months. 

I have Nike Romaleos 2 they are awesome. I think @chamie might have do-win's or perhaps some other brand, i remember them being rather snazzy!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Endor said:

I have Nike Romaleos 2 they are awesome. I think @chamie might have do-win's or perhaps some other brand, i remember them being rather snazzy!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

 

I probably should have been more specific. I have VERY wide feet and I'm mainly interested in the width of the various weightlifting shoes and how comfortable people felt in them based on their foot width, i.e narrow, normal, wide, very wide. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2016 at 9:17 AM, SpecialSundae said:

 

No. They'd have to volunteer for the whole comp.

 

In all fairness, most spotters are pretty good and work really hard. Sometimes, things go wrong. I've seen more spotters injured by lifters being toerags than vice versa.

 

Would you elaborate on "lifters being toerags"?  

 

I wonder, would it work better if lifts were done in a power rack or some other type of mechanical device, so that a failed lift could by caught by something that's definitely strong enough to do so, already knows HOW, and is never distracted?  Fewer injuries all around, and no concern about whether the 150 lb guy is capable of catching his side of a 400 kg barbell.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now