• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Mead Hall: The Warrior Water Cooler

34 minutes ago, Hazard said:

Posting here, because its more Warrior-ish-relevant:

Today I noticed one of my PM conversations has hit 531 messages.

My knee-jerk first thought upon seeing it was, "Now this conversation will only make monthly progress...."

Or spin its wheels into eternity...

• Like 2

Hello, Warriors.  Fresh on the heels of Camp NF and lifting all the things last week, I'm throwing my challenge up over here for this month.  Looking forward to meeting some new folks and lifting heavy objects together!

2 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

New mod, please visit the thread and congratulate Flex.

Hell yeah, Flex!  Get some!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Hello, Warriors.  Fresh on the heels of Camp NF and lifting all the things last week, I'm throwing my challenge up over here for this month.  Looking forward to meeting some new folks and lifting heavy objects together!

This sub-forum just got RHaF!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Hell yeah, Flex!  Get some!

Quoted to show @elvenengineer someone else besides me saying, "Get some!"  :glee:

Plus glad you are here!  Warrior on, Ranger!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Anyone else feeling like we need a support group for those of us who didn't go to Camp NF?

Love-and-Other-Drugs.gifDr.-Who.gif200_s.giftroy-barnes-crying.jpg200_s.gif

Don't worry, those of us who did go to camp feel like this right now too.

1 minute ago, miss_marissa said:

Don't worry, those of us who did go to camp feel like this right now too.

But you had the happy shiny fun times first!

I suppose I had happy shiny powerlifting fun times with a hot tub, @evabo and @TeeCam, pizza and many bottles of fizz.

• Like 4

Maybe pencil it in for next year?  I know my interest is piqued.  Full disclosure, my mom lives outside of Atlanta so I could make a week long trip of it - visit mom, go to Atlanta Barbell, and go to camp.

• Like 1

Maybe pencil it in for next year?  I know my interest is piqued.  Full disclosure, my mom lives outside of Atlanta so I could make a week long trip of it - visit mom, go to Atlanta Barbell, and go to camp.

I'll be in South Africa competing at Commonwealths around next year's Camp NF, all things being well.

6 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

I'll be in South Africa competing at Commonwealths around next year's Camp NF, all things being well.

Cursed by your own excellence!  Maybe turn Commonwealths into the kickoff for the 2017 SS World Tour?  All it takes is to go win the lottery or something.

• Like 1

Cursed by your own excellence!  Maybe turn Commonwealths into the kickoff for the 2017 SS World Tour?  All it takes is to go win the lottery or something.

There's at least one Nerd I'm hoping to see whilst I'm there (well, two if@teecam doesn't get called to Worlds instead) but thinking of seeing more sub-Saharan Africa rather than heading to the States this time.

Question for fun... What would you define as a "monster" in lifting terms?

There are two guys I train with who I call monsters: one is a superheavy (natural) lifter, the other is a 120kg (juicy) lifter both with 900kg+ totals.

Someone else defined it as anyone with a 1000lb total.

I'm sure other people will have other definitions, so wondered what yours was.

27 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Anyone who gets treated by a vet instead of a doctor. 

• Like 4

On 10/10/2016 at 5:57 AM, SpecialSundae said:

There are two guys I train with who I call monsters: one is a superheavy (natural) lifter, the other is a 120kg (juicy) lifter both with 900kg+ totals.

Someone else defined it as anyone with a 1000lb total.

I'm sure other people will have other definitions, so wondered what yours was.

On 10/10/2016 at 6:17 AM, wildross said:

High body weight multiples and/or Wilks totals

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is my approach too. 1000 lb isn't much for a guy my size, but for a light to mid weight woman it's a crap load. 400 wilks is probably a good place to start for monster considerations if we're talking about shear strength being the criteria. Maybe a bit below. A lot of the times though the way someone looks comes into play. I only ever really call people monsters when they're starting to look "hulking" and hypertrophied as hell, physically intimidating whether they're touching a bar or not. I'm more likely to call someone a "beast" based just on lifts. It's just verbiage and how we use it.

• Like 1

Something I noticed about my program, and thought I'd share.

I've been doing Greyskull.  For those not familiar, in a nutshell it's 3x5 with a couple differences:

1) Based on squats, deadlifts, OHP and bench press.  Only two "main" lifts per session instead of 3

2) Accessory lifts are optional (I haven't been doing them, largely for time constraints because I have to get to work)

3) Upper body first (the idea being that presses aren't likely to wear you out for squats/DL, but squats/DL sure can wear you out for presses).

4) After warm-ups, you do three sets, first two sets of 5 and the last As Many Reps As Possible (AMRAP)

5) If the last set is between 5 and 10 reps, increase next time by standard amount (5 lbs for squats and DL, 2.5 lbs for OHP and BP)

6) If the last set is more than 10, increase by double the standard amount next time

7) If the last set is less than 5, next time decrease the weight on that lift by 10% (rounding down to multiple of standard amount).

I lift twice a week (I found I couldn't recover adequately lifting 3x a week).  I started in late May, and I've now had to deload all four lifts at least once.

Here's what I noticed:  the first session on a deload (when I'm doing a weight I did some time before), I usually just manage to get my five reps on the last set, I seldom manage to squeeze out a sixth.  But on the NEXT session (where I'm still doing lighter than I failed on), I CRUSH it, usually getting 7 or 8 reps despite only getting five on the lighter weight last time.  Then when I get back to the weight where I'd previously failed, I manage to blow past it and I'll fail again at some higher weight.

Using this method I'd already set PRs on all four lifts, so I'd have to say the program is working for me.  I find it odd that I can't seem to do more reps on a weight I'd previously done, but the next session when it gets heavier I get more reps.  Maybe my body just needs the rest, and it comes back stronger afterward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark D said:

I find it odd that I can't seem to do more reps on a weight I'd previously done, but the next session when it gets heavier I get more reps.  Maybe my body just needs the rest, and it comes back stronger afterward.

This is exactly it. Your body hasn't recovered from the maximal effort from before, and is weaker in that moment in time than it normally is. Working at the lighter weight damages it less, letting you get fully recovered by the next time, and destroy your weights.

27 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

This is exactly it. Your body hasn't recovered from the maximal effort from before, and is weaker in that moment in time than it normally is. Working at the lighter weight damages it less, letting you get fully recovered by the next time, and destroy your weights.

I guess that makes sense.  I figured as long as I keep making progress the program is working for me.

Last year I tried Stronglifts 5x5 three days a week and found it to be more than my then-52-year old body could recover from.  I tried doing it just two days a week and doing accessory lifts the third day.   Then took some time off for various reasons.  Then I discovered Greyskull and started it last May and it seems to be a good fit for me.  I'm still worn out the day I go but I seem to be back by the time I go again.  I usually lift on Wednesday and Saturday.

Oh, I forgot to mention above, deadlifts are only done one set AMRAP, not 5/5/AMRAP.

10 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Seriously... How has no one else commented on this yet?

Probably because we all feel like children playing with plastic toys in comparison....

Srsly... amazing stuff

• Like 1