• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Mead Hall: The Warrior Water Cooler

on my way home from a huuuuge PL meet.

The FIFTH PLACE woman had a 599 Wilks.

I am in awe. So much inspiration and strength.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, spezzy said:

on my way home from a huuuuge PL meet.

The FIFTH PLACE woman had a 599 Wilks.

I am in awe. So much inspiration and strength.

Strongest lifter with powerlifting australia only has a 531... Yeah, I'm impressed.

Is there a bit of a difference between wilks for male and female (as in: do women get to x amount of wilks 'easier' than men?). Or is it because women are generally at a lower body weight - I read somewhere that wilks seems to favour smaller lifters slightly (GPC here uses the Glossbrenner formula which combines wilks and a different one to average out the differences a bit more). 599 seems insane.

Just now, Blocky said:

Also makes me sad/depressed/motivated to be better that I'm only at 320ish

Yeah, I generally have to stop looking at competition results every so often because I become convinced that I am weak and pathetic.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

Strongest lifter with powerlifting australia only has a 531... Yeah, I'm impressed.

24 minutes ago, Blocky said:

Is there a bit of a difference between wilks for male and female (as in: do women get to x amount of wilks 'easier' than men?). Or is it because women are generally at a lower body weight - I read somewhere that wilks seems to favour smaller lifters slightly (GPC here uses the Glossbrenner formula which combines wilks and a different one to average out the differences a bit more). 599 seems insane.

7 minutes ago, Blocky said:

Also makes me sad/depressed/motivated to be better that I'm only at 320ish

6 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

Yeah, I generally have to stop looking at competition results every so often because I become convinced that I am weak and pathetic.

This meet was an invite meet - top 5 from each weight class according to powerlifting watch (puts all american federations on one single, ranked list) were invited, and anyone from anywhere else in the world could compete if they had a total better than one of the top 5 people on powerlifting watch. 40k prize for each of the 3 divisions (women, lightweight men, heavyweight men) so it was a competition that was the best of the best in the world.  (Also, fwiw, not a drug tested meet, but imo that doesn't assume anything, and if they are, it doesn't discount their achievements, in order for that to take you to the next level EVERYTHING ELSE has to be perfect first. I just keep it in mind and don't let myself compare myself to them because it would very hard for me to get to that level as a natural lifter.)

The heavyweight man had a 599 wilks, lightweight was 574 wilks.

The purpose of wilks is to normalize totals, so a 300lb man can compete against a 90lb woman and you would know who the "stronger" lifter was that day.

It does favor the extremely large or extremely small - basically the closer to 160lb you are, the less wilks favors you.  But it should be even for men vs. women. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, spezzy said:

It does favor the extremely large or extremely small - basically the closer to 160lb you are, the less wilks favors you.  But it should be even for men vs. women. 

Ok cool.Ta, I thought it was more skewed towards one end of the spectrum.

Just had a quick look at untested australian PL records and the best wilks I could find was 570

So, Yuri Belkin just broke Ed Coan's world record deadlift which has stood for 26 years by deadifting 903lbs (Coan's record was 901) at 220lbs bodyweight. And just to be a show off, he did it beltless. Super clean lift too.

• Like 3

Just popping in to recruit nerds for the new doodlie pvp :)  

In need of a real challenge? Join the battle against the doodlies!

We created a pvp where doodlies will battle non-doodlies. There will be challenges to help you eat right and exercise more, to level up your life, and you get to choose what you want to do each week. It will be awesome, it will be epic, the chance of a lifetime to get up and personal (and smutty) with the doodlies.

The doodlies have fought among themselves for long enough. Batter has been splattered around for years. Now is the time to test our skills against YOU.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2017 at 0:54 AM, Blocky said:

So, Yuri Belkin just broke Ed Coan's world record deadlift which has stood for 26 years by deadifting 903lbs (Coan's record was 901) at 220lbs bodyweight. And just to be a show off, he did it beltless. Super clean lift too.

And he did it sumo. #thatsjustice

Image result for yury belkin

6 hours ago, Laghail said:

And he did it sumo. #thatsjustice

Image result for yury belkin

Pretty sure Coan used a sumo-ish (he called it modified sumo) stance to set the 901 record

• Like 1

On 4/23/2017 at 0:54 AM, Blocky said:

He's likely the best lifter in the world right now, imo. He never deadlifts with a belt for some reason. I got to see him at Boss of Bosses but unfortunately missed him lift at the CETCUS open because ben lifted sunday, not saturday. He's definitely going to be on the top for a while, I bet.

In regards to volume, at what point would you consider it too high for a single workout?

For shits and giggles, I did a wilks calc, if I did it right, my Wilks is 254. Which is sad, I think.

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

In regards to volume, at what point would you consider it too high for a single workout?

For shits and giggles, I did a wilks calc, if I did it right, my Wilks is 254. Which is sad, I think.

Much smarter folks than I can give a better answer, but I'd guess it's when the volume starts being high enough that you can't recover adequately before the next workout and/or when you can't finish the workout with something resembling passable form?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grumble said:

Single workouts are generally unimportant in regards to volume. You need to look at the bigger picture. Generally, do enough volume to make progress but not to the point where it interferes with the next workout. Everyone is different.

The other thing to think about is volume in the context of intensity. I can do millions of lbs of volume if the weight used is very low - it will do nothing to help me improve though.

6 hours ago, Chimichanga said:

What's the deal with sumo vs. conventional?  Why is it such a thing?  Is this one of those ongoing feuds that doesn't really mean anything?

It's just different positioning. Sumo is a much wider stance so there is less distance to pull your deadlift to lock out (like a high arch on bench) but it also recruits adductors and requires a decent amount of flexibility. It really comes down to your personal geometry - some people are stronger in that position, while others have a more natural structure with their feet closer together :) 

giphy.gif

(Also, hope you're feeling well after the surgery! I'm rangering this month, but keeping an eye on warrior happenings. Feel well and stay connected, there's work to be done once you're healed! ;))

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Laghail said:

Image result for sumo meme

I squat very wide and deadlift very narrow, just to make sure I confuse people about my life goals. 

• Like 4

Hey all its about that time again. With the start of this new challenge I would like to draw your attention to a PVP I have set up. 

This is the second time I have run this challenge, and the first "beta" test was a big success. It is called NerdHammer, a PVP where you will track your exercises during the week, using this to recruit troops to fight for control of a game board (think risk!) At the end of the challenge a winner will be declared!

There are a few different ways to participate. You can run your own faction, directing troops on the board and requires a bit more of a hands on approach. Or you can be a mercenary, meaning you track your workouts gaining resources, and allow your chosen faction leader to determine your movements. No one should feel like they are left out of the challenge! And while it is a PVP, I want to ensure you that the biggest goal of this is for everyone to have fun and push themselves to get the work done!

I hope you will stop by the thread and check it out!

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/99710-nerdhammer-light-in-shadow/

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Hey all, new virtual competition is up! Sorry it's late, life has been chaos lately (yeah, I know, excuse getting old).

^^^Also, no mini this round because of virtual comp.

• Like 1