• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Mead Hall: The Warrior Water Cooler

5 hours ago, Katerina said:

I will pause here only because I have done an awful lot of talking here. :) If you want me to keep going, just say the word!

I loved all your suggestions, especially the detailed previews! Cannot wait to get down to the local library and pick up my first one of these - I'll for sure close the loop and let you know what I thought as I read them. I had read a couple, but I'm not sure if I was giving myself enough time to ruminate on the plot during the rush of high school to really "get" the scarlet letter or macbeth. But agreed, Atticus Finch is up there in my pantheon of literary characters (and for sure in my imaginary council of advisors).

• Like 2

@Katerina I think that was officially my favorite wall o' text ever. Also, I don't think I have ever heard (or read) anyone else say that Macbeth was their favorite Shakespeare, but it is absolutely mine. (2nd place goes to As You Like It).  I have read many of those but not all of 'em, and now I think I'm motivated to try Crime and Punishment again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

I don't think I have ever heard (or read) anyone else say that Macbeth was their favorite Shakespeare, but it is absolutely mine

I apologize for never bringing this up.

It's a tie between that one, and Kate and Petruccio :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I apologize for never bringing this up.

In fairness, I never asked you. I am more likely to have the "what is your favorite Shakespeare" conversation face-to-face than on an internet forum. And now that I think of it, I don't have that conversation all that often IRL. Hmmm, need to initiate that one more often. If I were single I might be tempted to try it as a pickup line. I mean, that seems like a thing you ought to know about people, no?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gemma said:

If I were single I might be tempted to try it as a pickup line. I mean, that seems like a thing you ought to know about people, no?

Absolutely.

That and the person's favorite Monty Python joke.

3 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

That and the person's favorite Monty Python joke.

She turned me into a newt!

I got better. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gemma said:

2nd place goes to As You Like It)

You know, I am not sure I read this one. I don't think I have. 

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

My favorite Shakespear is Henry V. That St. Crispin's day speech gets me every time.

Haven't read that one, either, but I did enjoy the clip @Gemma posted. 

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

If I were single I might be tempted to try it as a pickup line. I mean, that seems like a thing you ought to know about people, no?

This made my night. :) Why, oh why, did I not think of this in my single days? Probably would have spared me the horror of my ex-husband--lol. (It would certainly separate the men from the boys. If he looks at you in confusion, he is underqualified!) 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Sounds like a “we aren’t getting along with Robert Wilks anymore, so we can’t admit that he may have been right in the past either”

i may may be a little jaded, and I was kind of neutral about the IPF v Robert Wilks thing, until the IPF started telling the USAPL to do less drug testing. I know it’s more nuanced than that, but I’m just struggling to find things about the IPF board of directors to actually get behind these days.

Further separating yourselves from the rest of the powerlifting community by making your records harder and harder to compare (starting with a change in weight classes, increasingly differing equipment standards, and now a change in comparative strength formula) does little to improve inter-organizational cooperation. And the powerlifting community being as small as it is, we can’t really afford to be as disparate as we’ve become.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

That is a great one.

Personal favorite version: 

Thank you for that. I didn't even know about it. I used to think Kenneth Branagh was my favorite Henry V. Know I know Loki does Shakespear better than Professor Lockhart.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Thank you for that. I didn't even know about it. I used to think Kenneth Branagh was my favorite Henry V. Know I know Loki does Shakespear better than Professor Lockhart.

I like Branagh, but he will never be my favorite anything. Except perhaps Iago. That was pretty darn awesome. I like him better as a villain.

This whole series is STUNNING. 

Jeremy Irons as Henry IV; Ben Whishaw - brilliant as Richard II; and if you think Hiddleston is great as the powerful warleader Henry V, you gotta see him as the skank-about-town Prince Hal. With Simon Russell Beale as Falstaff. 

The second series is out now, and beloved Sherlock Cumberbatch plays Richard III. I haven't seen it yet, but now that I've raved to you about the first half, it is up VERY soon on my list.  @Katerina spoke so eloquently (and rightfully so) of Dame Judi Dench as Lady Macbeth, I am excited about seeing her as the Duchess of York. 

Edited by Gemma
Edited to fix broken link. I hope.
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Katerina said:

Hey, @Mike Wazowski, if I recall, you're a Chicago boy. This summer First Folio in Oak Brook is doing Henry V. (Outdoor performance. Picnic baskets and Shakespeare and wine, oh my! :) )

https://firstfolio.org/?production=henry-v

From Chicago originally, but in Dallas now, so sadly a bit far for this one!

35 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

From Chicago originally, but in Dallas now, so sadly a bit far for this one!

Eh, make your mother happy and pay her a visit this summer :)

I was watching a workout video with Sheamus and John Cena of WWE. Cen said, and I quote "I hate this place.  Get in, Get Out, Get better." He notes that he doesn't spend more than 90 minutes in the gym on a given day. That's kind of inspiring and even though he's been in great shape most of his life, I think that understanding that spending hours in the gym does not make you better at what you do. Perfect example of quality over quantity.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2019 at 6:20 PM, Juni0r83 said:

Sounds like a “we aren’t getting along with Robert Wilks anymore, so we can’t admit that he may have been right in the past either”

i may may be a little jaded, and I was kind of neutral about the IPF v Robert Wilks thing, until the IPF started telling the USAPL to do less drug testing. I know it’s more nuanced than that, but I’m just struggling to find things about the IPF board of directors to actually get behind these days.

Further separating yourselves from the rest of the powerlifting community by making your records harder and harder to compare (starting with a change in weight classes, increasingly differing equipment standards, and now a change in comparative strength formula) does little to improve inter-organizational cooperation. And the powerlifting community being as small as it is, we can’t really afford to be as disparate as we’ve become.

The more and more removed from IPF/USAPL I get, the more I realize how ridiculous they are. Unfortunately, they are likely the closest thing to uniting the sport there is or will be. Unless there are some SERIOUS changes that come about from the community (standardizing rules/judging across feds, changing the approved equipment BS, drug use considerations/monitoring).

Competing in weightlifting in October made me realize how much more together they have their shit than PL.

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

Competing in weightlifting in October made me realize how much more together they have their shit than PL.

I may have to get into weightlifting instead of PL if I want to compete. There just aren't any reasonably close local level PL meets to me, while there are several WL ones.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

The more and more removed from IPF/USAPL I get, the more I realize how ridiculous they are. Unfortunately, they are likely the closest thing to uniting the sport there is or will be. Unless there are some SERIOUS changes that come about from the community (standardizing rules/judging across feds, changing the approved equipment BS, drug use considerations/monitoring).

We are lucky here in that we have 3 main feds which are all equally powerful. I also think IPF is getting foolish and ridiculous (for instance, one of the board recently tried to introduce rules to remove arching on the benchpress... it was voted down).

I compete in one called GPC... which is very basic... you can use any brand of equipment. The judging is fair, but not harsh. AND we can use a monolift (which I feel is incredibly important when you see the crappy spotting at the last few IPF worlds events)...

If you have a look at the actual math behind the new formulae, it's quite complicated and probably makes @Sam Ashen very excited...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3