The Mead Hall: The Warrior Water Cooler

chairohkey

Trying to figure out how to hack physics and make it possible...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

What exactly is the point of 1# dumbbells??  The list of things that weigh that much is amazing.  Just exercise with

1) a 16 oz soft drink or bottle of water

2) a large cup of coffee

3) your cell phone + case (most weigh 12-16oz)

4) a shoe

5) A double burger will probably come close as well.

this rant inspired by the pink, 1# dumbbell that someone left behind one of the machines next to the squat rack.  It was laying on top of a 10# plate.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

What exactly is the point of 1# dumbbells??  The list of things that weigh that much is amazing.  Just exercise with

1) a 16 oz soft drink or bottle of water

2) a large cup of coffee

3) your cell phone + case (most weigh 12-16oz)

4) a shoe

5) A double burger will probably come close as well.

this rant inspired by the pink, 1# dumbbell that someone left behind one of the machines next to the squat rack.  It was laying on top of a 10# plate.

They are great for dogs and toddlers. :)

Maybe they were micro loading squats by attaching it with a hair band. That or a curl bro was taking the drop sets philosophy way too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

We used to use them for shadow boxing drills when I boxed.  But that's about it.  They were not pink.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Of tiny pink dumbbells and fat chicks.

"One person’s tiny pink dumbbell is another person’s Atlas stone.

And then a few years later, when I had beaten my theoretically terminal cancer and was finally getting some decent strength gains again, a completely unrelated injury put me in hospital for three months and left me so far below my original starting point it scared the hell out of me when I thought about the road back. I had to relearn to walk. I now had a chronic heart condition, induced by my time in a coma, to add to the list of things to try and fix. I couldn’t move any of the fingers of my left hand, grip a tiny pink dumbbell (or even a pencil), extend my left arm or rotate the shoulder more than a tiny bit.

Relearning to bench press was worse. I started with a half-pound dumbbell. I didn’t have enough strength in my fingers to grip it tightly enough to stop it falling out of my hand. My method was to lie down on my back, put my left arm up, and put the little thing into my left hand with the other hand. Then I had to try and bring the elbow down, then up again. I was happy if I managed to do five reps. It hurt so much I wanted to cry. When I progressed to a one-pound dumbbell, it was so hard to keep it extended above me I had to keep holding one end of the dumbbell with the other hand for the first few workouts."

• Like 5
Wow, I have sure missed you folks :)

You in Alaska now?

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk 4

Tally Sheet for 2019

Of tiny pink dumbbells and fat chicks.

"One person’s tiny pink dumbbell is another person’s Atlas stone.

And then a few years later, when I had beaten my theoretically terminal cancer and was finally getting some decent strength gains again, a completely unrelated injury put me in hospital for three months and left me so far below my original starting point it scared the hell out of me when I thought about the road back. I had to relearn to walk. I now had a chronic heart condition, induced by my time in a coma, to add to the list of things to try and fix. I couldn’t move any of the fingers of my left hand, grip a tiny pink dumbbell (or even a pencil), extend my left arm or rotate the shoulder more than a tiny bit.

Relearning to bench press was worse. I started with a half-pound dumbbell. I didn’t have enough strength in my fingers to grip it tightly enough to stop it falling out of my hand. My method was to lie down on my back, put my left arm up, and put the little thing into my left hand with the other hand. Then I had to try and bring the elbow down, then up again. I was happy if I managed to do five reps. It hurt so much I wanted to cry. When I progressed to a one-pound dumbbell, it was so hard to keep it extended above me I had to keep holding one end of the dumbbell with the other hand for the first few workouts."

One of my favorite articles ever.

iBRXM8v.gif

This exists, therefore I must post it.  

I'm so happy right now.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I withdraw my earlier comment about pink dumbbells.  But still wonder why 1 keeps ending up on top of a single 10# plate next to a particular exercise machine.

Tally Sheet for 2019

You in Alaska now? Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk 4

I've been in Alaska just over two weeks. Since then, we closed on our house, got keys, got our household goods delivered, bought a car, both started work at our new locations, discovered we have some weird wiring, filled in/repaired our driveway, broke our old cars bumper, got it fixed, lost our house keys, bought a new fridge and started plans for repainting the interior, and I've been treading water in my classes. Fun times.

I'm hoping that I can majorly catch up with things this weekend since I get Monday off, and start maybe acting like a guild leader again and posting things. No challenge until next time though.