No registered users viewing this page.

The Mead Hall: The Warrior Water Cooler

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kapow!!   Official Florida Master's II, 120+ kg record holder for squat, bench, deadlift and total.   http://www.goheavy.net/records/viewrecordset.aspx?recordsetguid=865950e9-9d3a-494a-aa6b-b0db9c4990

SQUEEEE!   Achievement unlocked!   Bodyweight bench achieved!

You're welcome Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted Images

What exactly is the point of 1# dumbbells??  The list of things that weigh that much is amazing.  Just exercise with

1) a 16 oz soft drink or bottle of water

2) a large cup of coffee

3) your cell phone + case (most weigh 12-16oz)

4) a shoe

5) A double burger will probably come close as well.

this rant inspired by the pink, 1# dumbbell that someone left behind one of the machines next to the squat rack.  It was laying on top of a 10# plate.

What exactly is the point of 1# dumbbells??  The list of things that weigh that much is amazing.  Just exercise with

1) a 16 oz soft drink or bottle of water

2) a large cup of coffee

3) your cell phone + case (most weigh 12-16oz)

4) a shoe

5) A double burger will probably come close as well.

this rant inspired by the pink, 1# dumbbell that someone left behind one of the machines next to the squat rack.  It was laying on top of a 10# plate.

They are great for dogs and toddlers. :)

Of tiny pink dumbbells and fat chicks.

"One person’s tiny pink dumbbell is another person’s Atlas stone.

And then a few years later, when I had beaten my theoretically terminal cancer and was finally getting some decent strength gains again, a completely unrelated injury put me in hospital for three months and left me so far below my original starting point it scared the hell out of me when I thought about the road back. I had to relearn to walk. I now had a chronic heart condition, induced by my time in a coma, to add to the list of things to try and fix. I couldn’t move any of the fingers of my left hand, grip a tiny pink dumbbell (or even a pencil), extend my left arm or rotate the shoulder more than a tiny bit.

Relearning to bench press was worse. I started with a half-pound dumbbell. I didn’t have enough strength in my fingers to grip it tightly enough to stop it falling out of my hand. My method was to lie down on my back, put my left arm up, and put the little thing into my left hand with the other hand. Then I had to try and bring the elbow down, then up again. I was happy if I managed to do five reps. It hurt so much I wanted to cry. When I progressed to a one-pound dumbbell, it was so hard to keep it extended above me I had to keep holding one end of the dumbbell with the other hand for the first few workouts."

• Like 5

Of tiny pink dumbbells and fat chicks.

"One person’s tiny pink dumbbell is another person’s Atlas stone.

And then a few years later, when I had beaten my theoretically terminal cancer and was finally getting some decent strength gains again, a completely unrelated injury put me in hospital for three months and left me so far below my original starting point it scared the hell out of me when I thought about the road back. I had to relearn to walk. I now had a chronic heart condition, induced by my time in a coma, to add to the list of things to try and fix. I couldn’t move any of the fingers of my left hand, grip a tiny pink dumbbell (or even a pencil), extend my left arm or rotate the shoulder more than a tiny bit.

Relearning to bench press was worse. I started with a half-pound dumbbell. I didn’t have enough strength in my fingers to grip it tightly enough to stop it falling out of my hand. My method was to lie down on my back, put my left arm up, and put the little thing into my left hand with the other hand. Then I had to try and bring the elbow down, then up again. I was happy if I managed to do five reps. It hurt so much I wanted to cry. When I progressed to a one-pound dumbbell, it was so hard to keep it extended above me I had to keep holding one end of the dumbbell with the other hand for the first few workouts."

One of my favorite articles ever.

iBRXM8v.gif

This exists, therefore I must post it.  

I'm so happy right now.

You in Alaska now? Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk 4

I've been in Alaska just over two weeks. Since then, we closed on our house, got keys, got our household goods delivered, bought a car, both started work at our new locations, discovered we have some weird wiring, filled in/repaired our driveway, broke our old cars bumper, got it fixed, lost our house keys, bought a new fridge and started plans for repainting the interior, and I've been treading water in my classes. Fun times.

I'm hoping that I can majorly catch up with things this weekend since I get Monday off, and start maybe acting like a guild leader again and posting things. No challenge until next time though.