• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Mead Hall: The Warrior Water Cooler

Yesterday was a sad day for the weightlifting world. Glenn Pendlay passed away at 48 after a battle with cancer. May he find solace in the hallowed halls of Swolehalla amongst his fellow giants.

Rip a bar off the ground this weekend in his honor.

Image result for pendlay row gif

• Sad 5

Hi Warriors! I'm new to NF, and posted my first challenge today. Just getting acquainted. According the the choice of memes and humor here, I can see I was accurately sorted. 😂

Good to be here, will be seeing y'all around!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BombshellBanshee said:

Hi Warriors! I'm new to NF, and posted my first challenge today. Just getting acquainted. According the the choice of memes and humor here, I can see I was accurately sorted. 😂

Welcome!

Related image

Looking forward to your first challenge with the warriors and will be over to invade your first first challenge soon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BombshellBanshee said:

NEW WARRIOR! Greetings and welcome! 

• Like 2

Hi Warriors.  I think I want to try to focus more on lifting next challenge, and am toying with the idea of coming over here for it.  Are there people here who lift as cross-training for other sports, or do you all focus on lifting as the prime/only activity?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Elennare said:

Are there people here who lift as cross-training for other sports, or do you all focus on lifting as the prime/only activity?

Yes. To both.

Whether you lift exclusively, or as a means of building muscles in order to improve at a non-lifting activity, you will fit in just fine. Trust me, we have all kinds here, and that is exactly how we like it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elennare said:

Hi Warriors.  I think I want to try to focus more on lifting next challenge, and am toying with the idea of coming over here for it.  Are there people here who lift as cross-training for other sports, or do you all focus on lifting as the prime/only activity?

You will be most welcome. Some of us do other sports. Members of other guilds pop in for single challenges. And there are times when we can't lift but still wish to cultivate warrior virtues.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 2:43 PM, Elennare said:

Maybe once upon a time, it was ONLY lifters who maybe did something else. I think that era has passed. 

• Like 1

I have hijacked the challenge thread... oops!

I'm Snickie. My home is with the Assassins (bodyweight training is generally cheaper and more accessible than a gym with a decent free weights section and a spotter) but I do think I'll be visiting here a lot more. My warriors related very long term goal is to deadlift 300 lb. If I can do that, I can maybe help my 234 lb dad off the floor and into a chair when he's having really bad days. Right now I can deadlift my dad's wheelchair (just under 60 lb) with questionable form to put it on and off the wheelchair carrier on the back of my mom's car... or just straight into my car, I've done that too.

I'll be checking out your mini this time around as long as I remember to log on. 😬

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Snickie said:

I'm Snickie. My home is with the Assassins (bodyweight training is generally cheaper and more accessible than a gym with a decent free weights section and a spotter) but I do think I'll be visiting here a lot more. My warriors related very long term goal is to deadlift 300 lb. If I can do that, I can maybe help my 234 lb dad off the floor and into a chair when he's having really bad days. Right now I can deadlift my dad's wheelchair (just under 60 lb) with questionable form to put it on and off the wheelchair carrier on the back of my mom's car... or just straight into my car, I've done that too.

I'll be checking out your mini this time around as long as I remember to log on. 😬

Oh man, in the other post I read 234lb dad and thought that was your deadlift. But it's your father. It's awesome that you want to get strong to take care of your dad. A most worthy and admirable goal. Where's your deadlift at now? (other than the wheelchair, which is probably a bit more unwieldy than a bar).

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

Where's your deadlift at now?

Uhh I just say 60 lb because that's the wheelchair but it's probably different (probably more but not much) with the bar (inclusive). I have not officially tested this. I probably should. With a coach watching to make sure I have good form and don't hurt myself in the process of finding out how much I can lift.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Snickie said:

Uhh I just say 60 lb because that's the wheelchair but it's probably different (probably more but not much) with the bar (inclusive). I have not officially tested this. I probably should. With a coach watching to make sure I have good form and don't hurt myself in the process of finding out how much I can lift.

You would probably lift more with a bar, because the weight would be centred closer to you. I didn't get a trainer, I just read and watched youtube videos (Alan Thrall has one on how to set up for the deadlift) before lifting for the first time, and a friend walked me through the lifts to make sure. But I guess having a coach show you would be super safe and useful. 

A coach or a friend, as long as they know what they're doing and I don't end up hurt. 😁

In any case I don't know if what I do with the wheelchair is more deadlift or more squat. Since I don't want to hurt my back (heaven knows I stress it enough just by slouching when I sit) I tend to try to use my legs a bit more but there's only so much I can do with its size and shape. I usually pick it up from the side and the mass is centered more towards the back wheels than the front (which makes sense obv) so everything is lopsided anyway lol. 

I don't think this is the exact chair but it's pretty darn close. https://www.portomobility.com/product-page/ranger-d09-s-xl-no-1-best-rated-exclusive-folding-electric-wheelchair-20-seat

Screenshot_20200111-201930.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 11:30 AM, BombshellBanshee said:

Welcome!!! Popping on over to your L1 challenge right now :)

On 1/3/2020 at 4:43 PM, Elennare said:

Hi Elennare! We welcome all kinds here :) I know we house powerlifters, olympic lifters, strong people, ballroom dancers, crossfitters, casual sports players, yogis, and weekend warriors. Personally, I lift more in the winter, as I live in Wisconsin where the outdoors is not as friendly half of the year. Then when it is bearable to be outside, I play a lot of team sports, such as softball, ultimate frisbee, and volleyball, with the occasional hike or mountain biking thrown in. What is your other sport? 

On 1/6/2020 at 9:53 AM, Grumble said:

Maybe once upon a time, it was ONLY lifters who maybe did something else. I think that era has passed. 

agreed... myself included.

On 1/10/2020 at 5:18 PM, Snickie said:

Hi Snickie! happy to have you as a visitor :) What an awesome goal!

On 1/10/2020 at 10:30 PM, Snickie said:

Testing a max as a new lifter is not necessarily a great idea. I'd recommend learning some form with a barbell first under the eye of an coach or experienced lifter. We'd be happy to help with form checks or if you have any questions. 

On 1/13/2020 at 6:16 PM, miss_marissa said:

Hi Elennare! We welcome all kinds here :) I know we house powerlifters, olympic lifters, strong people, ballroom dancers, crossfitters, casual sports players, yogis, and weekend warriors. Personally, I lift more in the winter, as I live in Wisconsin where the outdoors is not as friendly half of the year. Then when it is bearable to be outside, I play a lot of team sports, such as softball, ultimate frisbee, and volleyball, with the occasional hike or mountain biking thrown in. What is your other sport?

Roller derby. :D  So, ya know, full contact sport on roller skates.  Being strong really helps.  And I will be happy to talk anyone's ear off about it, whether I ultimately decide to do my next challenge over here or not. :)

• That's Metal 1

My university has several rec centers so I'm going to start going after my Thursday morning class. The one near my parking garage opens at 9 and I get out of class at 8:50. I visited last Thursday to get the rundown and it wasn't crazy busy. Main thing is I can't do deadlift there but not a deal breaker.

Una pregunta, in the past when I did weight stuff (not a lot because I've always been a stick figure) my muscles would occasionally cramp up really bad and out of nowhere and I'd have to stretch them like crazy immediately afterwards to keep from hurting so much from it and I can't keep doing the exercise because it'll trigger again at the drop of a hat. I literally just now did it by turning my head a little too far or something. If I'm doing a standing quad stretch and don't kick up my leg and catch it immediately, if I actually use my hamstrings to hold my foot up long enough to get a hold of that loop thing on the back of my shoe, it happens to my hamstrings. Literally the other day I was in bed and I turned over and I must've done it wrong because I got a cramp in my neck that wasn't there before.

How do I prevent that?

Not nearly enough. That's been on and off my resolutions for a year or two now. I'll down it if I have it with me but otherwise I'm a camel.

And I've tried the magnesium and potassium supplements and didn't see any difference. I'm not on them now but maybe I should go back on them.

I would definitely start with drinking more water then. I can tell from experience that lifting while dehydrated causes all sorts of funky negatives, in addition to cramps, like not being as strong as I expected, worse DOMS and sooner, and general sleep problems, for example. 

Have you tried analyzing the Big Why around not drinking water and tried to address that?

I'm a camel. I don't like to interrupt things by having to go to the bathroom all the time. My best friend in college was a vocal major and drank a ton of water and would use the bathroom like once an hour. She still does that even though she no longer sings. I'm usually dehydrated when I make long road trips so that I don't have to stop to pee lots (I usually drink a lot once I get there). My dad does a similar thing, because he suffers from incontinence. Basically I don't want to be an inconvenience.

4 hours ago, Snickie said:

I'm a camel. I don't like to interrupt things by having to go to the bathroom all the time. My best friend in college was a vocal major and drank a ton of water and would use the bathroom like once an hour. She still does that even though she no longer sings. I'm usually dehydrated when I make long road trips so that I don't have to stop to pee lots (I usually drink a lot once I get there). My dad does a similar thing, because he suffers from incontinence. Basically I don't want to be an inconvenience.

Just wondering. If you gradually increased your water, maybe you would increase your ability to hold it, too? I understand drinking less on trips (me too) but the rest of the time, you deserve to be a bit more comfortable, I think. 

Also, a friend mentioned they eat bananas before lifting to stop cramps. I eat them, too, for carbs. They have potassium, and I wonder if it works better in a whole food than as a supplement? But I'm just speculating.