• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Training Yard: Where We Get Our Learn On

This thread is where all serious questions regarding being or becoming a warrior are asked. All inquiries about lifting, eating, and recovering are welcome. No question is too dumb or too simple to ask. If you want to talk nonsense or make fun of Seth do it over in The Mead Hall.

Wrath_of_the_Valkyrie_by_Wildweasel339.j

• Like 4

Okay, serious (though possibly ignorant) question: what should I target for daily carb intake, and why?

Background - I stick to a very primal diet and keep the carbs low, typically under 50g daily to promote weight loss. I'm going to start lifting for this challenge. I'm doing this primarily to lose weight, as I'd much rather do deadlifts and such than more body weight stuff. I know I can lose weight by continuing to eat a caloric deficit and adding lifting as my main source of exercise, but I don't want to hinder any strength gains I should be seeing either. I'm not trying to get massive amounts of muscle, but I want to make sure I'm doing recovery well enough.

I plan on doing the Rebel Strength Barbell Battalion rank one program. I'd like to keep my carbs low, but I have heard and read some conflicting things on this topic; namely (and perhaps incorrectly, I've just started to look into it) that you have to eat lots of carbs post workout.

I don't eat grains or legumes, but I do eat squash / sweet potato / coconut water, so I have access to carbs, I'm just a bit lost on what targets I should set.

For now I plan on staying with my current diet until about half way through the challenge and see how I'm feeling and how the lifting is coming along. I just figured I'd ask the question and bother some more knowledgeable people to add to my random googling.

Thanks!

• Like 1

There's nothing at level 1 that will require you to carb up. If you are comfortable in a low carb/borderline ketogenic diet, then continue with it. Fast burning carbs can be taken directly before(like 45-60 minutes before) a workout in order to provide glucose to fuel your muscles during any long duration exercise. So, say you're about to run 3+ miles or go for a 20 rep squat set, eat a bagel.

Post workout carbs are to refill depleted glucose levels and mainly go right to your liver for long term storage after your muscles have had their fill, which is the opposite of what you want when you're using low carb as a body fat burning mechanism.

So, do you need to take carbs pre or post workout at this stage? No. Will you at some latter stage? Maybe.

There's nothing at level 1 that will require you to carb up. If you are comfortable in a low carb/borderline ketogenic diet, then continue with it. Fast burning carbs can be taken directly before(like 45-60 minutes before) a workout in order to provide glucose to fuel your muscles during any long duration exercise. So, say you're about to run 3+ miles or go for a 20 rep squat set, eat a bagel.

Post workout carbs are to refill depleted glucose levels and mainly go right to your liver for long term storage after your muscles have had their fill, which is the opposite of what you want when you're using low carb as a body fat burning mechanism.

So, do you need to take carbs pre or post workout at this stage? No. Will you at some latter stage? Maybe.

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I appreciate the info.

This is good because I have so many questions!  :redface:

I've seen two versions of squats - one where you keep you feet at about shoulder-width and feet ahead, and one with feet slightly further apart and toes pointed out a little more. I've been using the second kind because it's easier on my knee and knee problems run in my family. Is there any reason for using one over the other apart from comfort? 

This is good because I have so many questions!  :redface:

I've seen two versions of squats - one where you keep you feet at about shoulder-width and feet ahead, and one with feet slightly further apart and toes pointed out a little more. I've been using the second kind because it's easier on my knee and knee problems run in my family. Is there any reason for using one over the other apart from comfort? 

The second because it is better for your knees and posterior chain. Your knee should be neutral (very little stress) at the bottom of the squat.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Also, to squat with your thighs below parallel (which is what you want) there has to be somewhere for you torso to go. That means your stance has to be wide enough and with enough angle between your legs for your torso to fit.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

If you're concerned about knee problems, maybe I can reassure you a little. My family has a history of knee issues too and my dad tore both of his ACLs and ruptured cartilage in his left knee in his 20s. I have my own track record of knee problems - I've blown out the medial collateral ligament in my left knee on two occassions, first in 2005 when doing ju-jitsu and then again in late 2010 when I slipped and fell on an icy path. The second time around was much worse - I damaged the meniscus where the ligament attaches to the bone and had some cartilage damage. I couldn't walk unaided for 6 weeks, couldn't walk without a limp for more than 12 weeks. Kept having repeat minor ligament strains throughout 2011 and early 2012 where any lateral motion on my lower leg would do funky stuff to the ligament.

I was incredibly nervous about starting to squat because of this but spoke to a competent physician well-versed in sports injuries who recommended that I give it a shot to see how I got on - and to go below parallel if I could. A year and a bit later and I'm closing in on squatting twice my bodyweight, am doing the Olympic lifts three times a week and my knee has never been stronger or healthier. Squats have saved me from a lifetime of niggling knee issues and reduced mobility.

• Like 8

Also, to squat with your thighs below parallel (which is what you want) there has to be somewhere for you torso to go. That means your stance has to be wide enough and with enough angle between your legs for your torso to fit. Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks! It's true, I can squat deeper in that stance. 

And thanks also Jaymul and Superjenni! It's good to know there are others in a similar position. My sister had an ACL replacement and my Dad has bad knees, so I'm trying to look after mine :) Though I showed my sister that video of John Broz squatting 220kgs two weeks after his knee surgery and she was all :hororr: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H7EVZ75HgE)

• Like 1

Hey all,

This is less of a question more of a request for help on my challenge ( the link should be in my signature). I just thought I'd post here so I don't have to go and bother everyone individually.

My third goal on the challenge is about improving form on my lifts (I'm a beginner doing stronglifts 5x5). During the challenge I'll be posting form-check vids and I'll be relying on the warrior community for feedback and grading.

Thanks in advance.

Quick question if anyone has any advice for me -

I have been lifting now for about three months - and I am eating at slightly below maintenance on weekdays, and do most of my eating on weekends (ALLTHE FOOOOODDDDDD!!). Averaging over a week I am eating slightly above 'maintenance' (at least what the internet calculators say). I guess i am kind of hoping for a bit of a body recomp, being a beginner and all and so far this is working - losing inches, scale weight staying the same or increasing. My lifts are also steadily increasing, so I am getting stronger.

I am also getting about 8hours sleep a night during the week, weekends can be a little less reliable.

My problem - I am now ALWAYS tired. I'm wondering whether this could be to do with food or sleep. or whether there are other factors im not thinking of?

Hey all,

This is less of a question more of a request for help on my challenge ( the link should be in my signature). I just thought I'd post here so I don't have to go and bother everyone individually.

My third goal on the challenge is about improving form on my lifts (I'm a beginner doing stronglifts 5x5). During the challenge I'll be posting form-check vids and I'll be relying on the warrior community for feedback and grading.

Thanks in advance.

Remember to post form checks here too.

Vixen, it may be a nutrition thing and not a food thing. What does your diet look like? Are you getting all your vitamins and minerals? I went through a spell where I felt tired all the time and I started supplementing with a Vitamin B Complex pill once or twice a day.

You might want to look at exactly what you're eating and not how much you're eating.

Vixen, it may be a nutrition thing and not a food thing. What does your diet look like? Are you getting all your vitamins and minerals? I went through a spell where I felt tired all the time and I started supplementing with a Vitamin B Complex pill once or twice a day.

You might want to look at exactly what you're eating and not how much you're eating.

Thanks :) thats so obvious, i dont know why that wasnt something i had considered!!

While i could definitely eat a lot better then I am, I do eat fairly well without restricting myself from treats when i feel like it! Recently my routine has been all screwy though so it hasnt been as good as usual. Will look into this! 

Okay, serious (though possibly ignorant) question: what should I target for daily carb intake, and why?

Background - I stick to a very primal diet and keep the carbs low, typically under 50g daily to promote weight loss. I'm going to start lifting for this challenge. I'm doing this primarily to lose weight, as I'd much rather do deadlifts and such than more body weight stuff. I know I can lose weight by continuing to eat a caloric deficit and adding lifting as my main source of exercise, but I don't want to hinder any strength gains I should be seeing either. I'm not trying to get massive amounts of muscle, but I want to make sure I'm doing recovery well enough.

I plan on doing the Rebel Strength Barbell Battalion rank one program. I'd like to keep my carbs low, but I have heard and read some conflicting things on this topic; namely (and perhaps incorrectly, I've just started to look into it) that you have to eat lots of carbs post workout.

I don't eat grains or legumes, but I do eat squash / sweet potato / coconut water, so I have access to carbs, I'm just a bit lost on what targets I should set.

For now I plan on staying with my current diet until about half way through the challenge and see how I'm feeling and how the lifting is coming along. I just figured I'd ask the question and bother some more knowledgeable people to add to my random googling.

Thanks!

When I was seriously weight training (although, I was trying to lose weight, too), my post workout was half a half a chicken breast and 9 baby carrots.  This made my carbs and protein at about the same ratio, and it worked out pretty well.  My gains were great.  I don't think I personally would enjoy a 50g/carb/day diet.  As long as I kept it under 100g, or around 75g, and kept my protein up, things went great.

There's a need for carbs post work out, but for us normal people, we don't need to go all out crazy.  Just pay attn to how your body feels at the end of the day, not so much that little half hr post workout.

When I was seriously weight training (although, I was trying to lose weight, too), my post workout was half a half a chicken breast and 9 baby carrots.  This made my carbs and protein at about the same ratio, and it worked out pretty well.  My gains were great.  I don't think I personally would enjoy a 50g/carb/day diet.  As long as I kept it under 100g, or around 75g, and kept my protein up, things went great.

There's a need for carbs post work out, but for us normal people, we don't need to go all out crazy.  Just pay attn to how your body feels at the end of the day, not so much that little half hr post workout.

Thanks for the info! On days I work out I just try to stick between 50g and 100g for carbs, and I don't watch it like a hawk really. It's my off days that I try to stay as low as I can. I'm not super thrilled with a lot of the goal setting options on myfitnesspal but it's better than nothing for now I guess.

Hey fellow Warriors - I posted this over on the main forum, but I figured I'd drop it here as well: http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/37672-programming-after-starting-strength/

Basically, I did Starting Strength, gains have really slowed/stopped, and I'm trying to figure out where to go next. Any advice from people who have done Starting Strength or Stronglifts and then moved on to something that isn't basic linear progression would be great.

Hey fellow Warriors - I posted this over on the main forum, but I figured I'd drop it here as well: http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/37672-programming-after-starting-strength/

Basically, I did Starting Strength, gains have really slowed/stopped, and I'm trying to figure out where to go next. Any advice from people who have done Starting Strength or Stronglifts and then moved on to something that isn't basic linear progression would be great.

First, are you eating and sleeping enough and have you tried increasing rest between sets? If so, look into Texas Method, it's been my favorite intermediate program I've tried (TM, Madcow, 5/3/1).

Thanks for the response, will definitely look into the Texas Method. I'm doing well on eating, sleeping and resting between sets, so I think I'm ready to try some new programming and see how it goes.

If all goes well and these mega-NSAIDs do the trick, I should be back to upper body training in 10 days or so. What I'm wanting is a routine to "Bulletproof My Shoulders" a la T-Nation. Exercises you Axe Bearers recommend? I've got dips slated in. Dumbbell rows? close grip chin ups?