• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Training Yard: Where We Get Our Learn On

If all goes well and these mega-NSAIDs do the trick, I should be back to upper body training in 10 days or so. What I'm wanting is a routine to "Bulletproof My Shoulders" a la T-Nation. Exercises you Axe Bearers recommend? I've got dips slated in. Dumbbell rows? close grip chin ups? 

I've used windmills with dumbbells for years as a warmup/rehab exercise.  No scientific reason, just works for me.  I started with 5#, I can do 40# now.

I've used windmills with dumbbells for years as a warmup/rehab exercise.  No scientific reason, just works for me.  I started with 5#, I can do 40# now.O.

O.o

As always Wildross, your numbers boggle the mind. Will have a crack at windmills in t minus 4 days. 

So, I guess when I started lifting I never did an OHP form check.. or, if I did, I didn't upload it.. because I can't find it now.  What? 

Anyhow, what's the best angle?  I'm always inclined to do a side angle on my lift checks but I feel like maybe not in this case.

O.o

As always Wildross, your numbers boggle the mind. Will have a crack at windmills in t minus 4 days. 

Also use a cable machine to do "rotation" exercises (elbow by rib, arm at 90 degree angle). 

I have finally posted some videos in the form-check section of my squat. I'm doing this for my third goal this challenge. Please take look, grade my form and give me some feedback if you have the time. Thanks.

Does anyone have experience with weighted vests? 

I recently put up a post in the Gear forum asking about the Hyperwear Hyper Vest Pro in specific.

Because I am crazy, I am also going to do some research into making my own vest inspired by the Hyperwear one.  Something more Warrior-themed.

Lamellar_leather_armour.jpg

Probably not like this.  But that would be cool.  (Actually, hot.)

Greetings Warriors.

I've been deadlifting for a few weeks and today my deadlift drew blood for the first time.  On my ring finger a little above where I usually wear my wedding ring.  Also tore into my palm a bit but didn't actually bleed there.

I would just deal with it until I callous up but I'm thinking the gym would frown on my smearing blood all over their barbells.

What do you suggest?  Would chalk help by chance?

Greetings Warriors.

I've been deadlifting for a few weeks and today my deadlift drew blood for the first time. On my ring finger a little above where I usually wear my wedding ring. Also tore into my palm a bit but didn't actually bleed there.

I would just deal with it until I callous up but I'm thinking the gym would frown on my smearing blood all over their barbells.

What do you suggest? Would chalk help by chance?

Chalk might help. I find that if I'm careful with my hand position, making sure the 'pads' are sort of on top before I start, that it helps a lot. You can also try resetting your grip on each rep.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Chalk might help. I find that if I'm careful with my hand position, making sure the 'pads' are sort of on top before I start, that it helps a lot. You can also try resetting your grip on each rep.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Will do.  Thank you much.

should I be incorporating mobility work into my workouts while doing a beginner 5x5 program or should I wait until I move onto a more intermediate program? if so are there any set mobility programs i can check into for the beginner lifts? Thanks in advance.

Always add in some mobility work. As for programs I can't think of a set plan offthe top of my head. I usually just go to mobilitywod.com and then search the videos for achy parts 

In general you want to foam role, work on your hip mobility, ankle mobility, wrist, elbow, and shoulder mobility as much as you can. 

Not sure where to put this since I'm a warrior I figured what's more warrior then hurling a giant hunk of steel through the air and decided here was best. Looking for anyone who does throwing sports. Specifically weight throw for distance. I would like to compete in the Highland games next fall near my house and this is one of the events. I'm looking for a good place to pick up information about technique I watched a bunch of videos and it pretty much just looks like you spin in a circle and let to but I'm sure there is way more to it then that and I'm looking for a breakdown of specifically what goes on in that tornado of awesome. Thanks in advance.

Not sure where to put this since I'm a warrior I figured what's more warrior then hurling a giant hunk of steel through the air and decided here was best. Looking for anyone who does throwing sports. Specifically weight throw for distance. I would like to compete in the Highland games next fall near my house and this is one of the events. I'm looking for a good place to pick up information about technique I watched a bunch of videos and it pretty much just looks like you spin in a circle and let to but I'm sure there is way more to it then that and I'm looking for a breakdown of specifically what goes on in that tornado of awesome. Thanks in advance.

He hasn't been active since June, but "Book" was near olympic level on the hammer throw if I remember correctly. Might try PMing him to see if he get's email notifications,

Hurling steel... I like it.

Also, atlas stone bocce ball... that needs to exist.

Cross-posting from the new training yard thread that was started since it looks like that one might not get used.

As I mentioned in my new challenge thread, I've been dealing with (probably) plantar fasciitis for almost four months now. As a result, I can't do any activities that involve bearing weight on my left foot (so basically no traditional weightlifting, which is breaking my heart). I can STAND on it — I just don't want to add weight on top of my bodyweight and ask my foot to hold that up as well. I spent the first three-and-a-half months of this experience basically giving up on working out entirely, but I would like for that to change. And I was hoping you all might have some ideas for a strength program I could put together.

To put a more positive spin on things, here are the sorts of things I CAN do:

-pull-ups/chin-ups (well, I can do ONE pull-up at a time)

-bodyweight movements without impact (air squats but no squat jumps, for instance)

-seated upper-body exercises (bench press, dumbbell press, bicep curls, etc.)

-leg extensions/curls on weight machines (although I have absolutely no idea how to use weight machines)

-push-ups

-sit-ups

-handstand push-ups

etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can incorporate weight machines into my training so I can actually strenghten my legs again? Has anyone dealt with a situation of working out while being unable to bear weights on one leg/foot? Thank you in advance!

Ok warriors, i'm doing a WL cycle starting in 2 weeks. 

I've picked a program that i like. It's 5 days a week. I have condensed it down to 3 days a week. I'm wondering if the volume will be too high? (Corey, BigM, Seth, Staci) i think you guys know that i usually do a lot when i do WL (like.. 20x1 at 93% that day i did snatches at 90) (not for speed. about a minute rest in between each.) 

Right now, depending on a meeting tomorrow, I'm also in the competitors group at CF, which commits me to two WODs a week. So I was hoping to do all WL three days, and then 2 WODs/competitor classes. On my three WL days, I have 2 hours to get all of my work done. 

Here's how I condensed it: 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z36BWgvK2rSqHiQiZn9y6KpGwvidOFsEhjmPza5pVtc/edit?usp=sharing

NOTE: I didn't move the movements into the proper order (ie, snatch, then power snatch, then clean...etc.) 

The original cycle is here:

http://www.catalystathletics.com/workouts/cycle.php?cycleID=42

Thoughts? 

Why don't I want to do 5 days? because then I'd be in the gym 7 days a week, based on my coaching schedule. Not that I mind that, per se, but I really like my rest days to be REST days, and out of the box. I could probably hack it up to 4 days a week if necessary, but then I'm not sure how to structure it. The third day of the week is how it should be, so i'd have to split the other two up into three. 

Looks pretty good to me nightlight. Only thing I would change is how you do your snatch pulls. I am a fan of 110% snatch pulls instead of 100% to get used to the weight since my DL is so much higher than my snatch. But other than that i hope you plan of eating a lot. 

Nightlight, will take a look later when I have a chance.

Cross-posting from the new training yard thread that was started since it looks like that one might not get used.

As I mentioned in my new challenge thread, I've been dealing with (probably) plantar fasciitis for almost four months now. As a result, I can't do any activities that involve bearing weight on my left foot (so basically no traditional weightlifting, which is breaking my heart). I can STAND on it — I just don't want to add weight on top of my bodyweight and ask my foot to hold that up as well. I spent the first three-and-a-half months of this experience basically giving up on working out entirely, but I would like for that to change. And I was hoping you all might have some ideas for a strength program I could put together.

To put a more positive spin on things, here are the sorts of things I CAN do:

-pull-ups/chin-ups (well, I can do ONE pull-up at a time)

-bodyweight movements without impact (air squats but no squat jumps, for instance)

-seated upper-body exercises (bench press, dumbbell press, bicep curls, etc.)

-leg extensions/curls on weight machines (although I have absolutely no idea how to use weight machines)

-push-ups

-sit-ups

-handstand push-ups

etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can incorporate weight machines into my training so I can actually strenghten my legs again? Has anyone dealt with a situation of working out while being unable to bear weights on one leg/foot? Thank you in advance!

You could do a traditional push/pull every day with the upper body, then experiement with the weight machines for your legs and learn what they can stand. You should be fine using a glute ham raise machine if you have one avaialable, and they're awesome for your posterior chain. The only real problem I see is finding a leg push motion that you can handle. I would try using the leg press machine and putting your feet more forward than would be normal, and focusing on keeping all the weight as far back on your heels as possible and off the midfoot to avoid the plantar fascitis issues.

If you could find a leg pushing movement that works for you, just do a upper body push (such as rotating bench and press) and pull (rotating chins, pull ups, rows, etc.) and then do a leg push and a leg pull as an accessory. You can only do 1 pull up, so take this as a time to really drill the upper body pulls and work on that weakness.

Looks pretty good to me nightlight. Only thing I would change is how you do your snatch pulls. I am a fan of 110% snatch pulls instead of 100% to get used to the weight since my DL is so much higher than my snatch. But other than that i hope you plan of eating a lot. 

depending on how ye-ole back feels, i may cut down the percentages by 5% or something. 

you think it's not too much? i am just waiting for jdanger or chairokey to tell me i'm batshit crazy.

depending on how ye-ole back feels, i may cut down the percentages by 5% or something. 

you think it's not too much? i am just waiting for jdanger or chairokey to tell me i'm batshit crazy.

Considering what I do six days a week? That looks like rest :)