• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Training Yard: Where We Get Our Learn On

my condensed version?

The condensed version looks like a regular week from Bob Takano's blog where he lays out a free WL routine day by day.

p.s. if you can find a routine that both J and Karaoke will call you crazy for attempting... that'd be one hell of a write up.

I think it was a great idea to just move these threads to the new challenge.

Thank you sir.

He was just pissed that BigM came in and made the threads and stole his thunder... so, he over wrote them all.

depending on how ye-ole back feels, i may cut down the percentages by 5% or something. 

you think it's not too much? i am just waiting for jdanger or chairokey to tell me i'm batshit crazy.

Personally I think it's too much per session on Days 1 and 2. Take W1D1 for example. After 15 snatches from the floor at 70% and 20 fairly heavy snatch pulls, you're going to be fatigued as hell come your power snatches and they are less likely to be quality reps. Similarly W1D2 - power cleans after 15 cleans, 20 clean pulls and 15 front squats (not including warm-up volume)? You're gonna be toast and the workouts are going to be really, really long. My current programming as set by my coach is typically 4 lifts and two quick accessory exercises and including warm-up, I'm in the gym a good 2.5 to 3 hours.

I also think you need to back squat more, unless there's some reason you are specifically avoiding back squatting :)

If you really want to stick to 3 days a week, I recommend either checking out Glenn Pendlay's Training System for Beginning Weightlifters which will have you doing a snatch variation, clean variation, overhead work and a squat movement each day. Back squat day 1 and 3, front squat day 2 (or the other way round if you want to emphasise the front squat). You shouldn't need to program the overhead squat unless you have a specific issue to address. Alternatively, Greg Everett's 4-day beginner program is a good bet if you don't mind 4 days in the gym. It might also be a better candidate for compressing down to 3 days. (I don't know your experience level so apologies for recommending a "beginner's" program if you're not a beginner but both of these have all the essentials).

Personally I think it's too much per session on Days 1 and 2. Take W1D1 for example. After 15 snatches from the floor at 70% and 20 fairly heavy snatch pulls, you're going to be fatigued as hell come your power snatches and they are less likely to be quality reps. Similarly W1D2 - power cleans after 15 cleans, 20 clean pulls and 15 front squats (not including warm-up volume)? You're gonna be toast and the workouts are going to be really, really long. My current programming as set by my coach is typically 4 lifts and two quick accessory exercises and including warm-up, I'm in the gym a good 2.5 to 3 hours.

I also think you need to back squat more, unless there's some reason you are specifically avoiding back squatting :)

If you really want to stick to 3 days a week, I recommend either checking out Glenn Pendlay's Training System for Beginning Weightlifters which will have you doing a snatch variation, clean variation, overhead work and a squat movement each day. Back squat day 1 and 3, front squat day 2 (or the other way round if you want to emphasise the front squat). You shouldn't need to program the overhead squat unless you have a specific issue to address. Alternatively, Greg Everett's 4-day beginner program is a good bet if you don't mind 4 days in the gym. It might also be a better candidate for compressing down to 3 days. (I don't know your experience level so apologies for recommending a "beginner's" program if you're not a beginner but both of these have all the essentials).

yeah. that's the exact thing i was worried about. but i think i'm going to test it out. i do a lot of volume regularly. 5 sets of 3 reps at 70% won't even break a sweat for me, because it's really light. But I may end up taking out the power snatches, or lowering the volume, because i'd rather work the full lifts and the pulls/accessory stuff. 

re: backsquatting --

i have a really really bad back. every time i back squat i injure myself and it's not due to bad form. i'm a trainer, and have a great trainer, bigm can vouch for my awesome squat form. it's just too much weight on my spine where i'm missing a piece of disc, so i took the BS out of the routine. 

the beginner 4 day routine -- i can't find that cycle. can you link me to it? It might be good to condense it, and then i can always add accessory work that i may need. note: i know my numbers REALLY well, so i prefer to work from a cycle based in percentages.

No, that's Greg Everett. I'm not sure if Pendlay hands out his cycles. Takano does, you just have to sift through his back log to look for it. 

lulz. yeah. b/c i'm looking at catalyst, everything in my brain is that. i'm currently breaking it out into a 4 day cycle... which may actually work better. hold please.

This is the Pendlay article with his training system. There are some follow-ups about individualising it but the base two-week block he recommends. When going to 4 days he pretty much recommends just adding some power cleans/snatches/jerks and doing it as a lighter day.

http://www.pendlay.com/A-Training-System-for-Beginning-Olympic-Weightlifters_df_90.html

Your 4-day variant looks a lot more manageable to me! I hadn't seen the Takano program before, he uses some pretty idiosyncratic notation!

I'll check this out later when I have more time. I tend to agree with jay when he pointed out doing full lifts, pulls, and powers in the same workout is a bit much but again, I haven't looked at it. Generally it's better to stretch the cycles longer than it is to try to condense them but yeah, I'm all for nuttery too. So... more later.

Edit and if the notation confuses you don't look at my log. Which is due for an update.. also later.

I'll check this out later when I have more time. I tend to agree with jay when he pointed out doing full lifts, pulls, and powers in the same workout is a bit much but again, I haven't looked at it. Generally it's better to stretch the cycles longer than it is to try to condense them but yeah, I'm all for nuttery too. So... more later.

Edit and if the notation confuses you don't look at my log. Which is due for an update.. also later.

thanks, will appreciate the feedback. i INTEND to do 4 days a week, but it could end up being 3, where the fourth workout is the first day of the next week if that makes any sense. depending on life, rest, sleep, coaching, etc.

Nightlight, will take a look later when I have a chance.

You could do a traditional push/pull every day with the upper body, then experiement with the weight machines for your legs and learn what they can stand. You should be fine using a glute ham raise machine if you have one avaialable, and they're awesome for your posterior chain. The only real problem I see is finding a leg push motion that you can handle. I would try using the leg press machine and putting your feet more forward than would be normal, and focusing on keeping all the weight as far back on your heels as possible and off the midfoot to avoid the plantar fascitis issues.

If you could find a leg pushing movement that works for you, just do a upper body push (such as rotating bench and press) and pull (rotating chins, pull ups, rows, etc.) and then do a leg push and a leg pull as an accessory. You can only do 1 pull up, so take this as a time to really drill the upper body pulls and work on that weakness.

Thank you!

No, that's Greg Everett. I'm not sure if Pendlay hands out his cycles. Takano does, you just have to sift through his back log to look for it. 

So 1) I have to thank you for linking Takano's blog. For some reason I didn't have it in my feeds. 2) Have you read his knees out series? Some very lively discussion and input from well known coaches.

Yeah, I put it up on FB when it just started because I'm not a fan of the cue the way a lot of coaches use it. Should your knees be pushing out? Yes, they should be engaged into your hip socket. Should your knees be out just for the sake of them being out? No, stop saying it if you don't know what it really means. 

Yeah, I put it up on FB when it just started because I'm not a fan of the cue the way a lot of coaches use it. Should your knees be pushing out? Yes, they should be engaged into your hip socket. Should your knees be out just for the sake of them being out? No, stop saying it if you don't know what it really means. 

Yeah I have come to similar conclusions about taht cue on my own. But I like some of the more technical discussion of why it is so. Instead of the usual "this hurts me so I shouldn't do it" response. 

thanks, will appreciate the feedback. i INTEND to do 4 days a week, but it could end up being 3, where the fourth workout is the first day of the next week if that makes any sense. depending on life, rest, sleep, coaching, etc.

The second version is better. Without knowing more context I really can't comment too much. Though integrating weightlifting into CF programming (that I don't control) is something I spend, frankly, too much time on haha.

What are your best snatch, c&j, squat, DL, and (if you have one) clean DL? Is the weightlifting program intended to be your main strength work too? As in, the two wods will be metcon only and not have strength pieces? What do you feel like are the biggest issues in your lifts?