• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Training Yard: Where We Get Our Learn On

6 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I need help wrapping my head around accessories.

I'm starting to understand alternating with push/pull days etc, but don't know how to compliment the big lifts, or really how to classify them. Do I accessorize with pushes on push day or pull day? Are squats for leg day? Can I squat one day and bench the next?

Really, what I'm mostly after are resources to learn from, so I can better understand how to research and organize a good program. I'm really starting from square one (2 at best lol) and have to look up pretty much everything in the BB, cable, machine, TRX etc world. So any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

It is probably easier to grab a program and look through it than build your own - and I am going to do it before JDanger does it!

<--------------claims credit for renaming it the Dangerous Four-Day Split

Agreed.  It's intimidating adding accessories and a whole bunch of new concepts.  My executive summary for you is:

Squats and Bench Press are paired and worked twice per week.  One day with heavy volume.  One day with light volume.

Deadlifts and Overhead Press are paired and worked twice per week.  One day with heavy volume.  One day with light volume.

A couple of accessories are listed and added.  Good mornings.  Glute-Ham Raises.  Ab work.  Hyper-extensions.  Chin-ups.  Dips.  Rows.

Oh.  And those paused tempo front-squats.

One more day is thrown in the weekly cycle to work on weaknesses.  Of course at our level this is hard to assess.

It probably does not really answer your question, but there is a link and a spreadsheet.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

It is probably easier to grab a program and look through it than build your own - and I am going to do it before JDanger does it!

<--------------claims credit for renaming it the Dangerous Four-Day Split

Agreed.  It's intimidating adding accessories and a whole bunch of new concepts.  My executive summary for you is:

Squats and Bench Press are paired and worked twice per week.  One day with heavy volume.  One day with light volume.

Deadlifts and Overhead Press are paired and worked twice per week.  One day with heavy volume.  One day with light volume.

A couple of accessories are listed and added.  Good mornings.  Glute-Ham Raises.  Ab work.  Hyper-extensions.  Chin-ups.  Dips.  Rows.

Oh.  And those paused tempo front-squats.

One more day is thrown in the weekly cycle to work on weaknesses.  Of course at our level this is hard to assess.

It probably does not really answer your question, but there is a link and a spreadsheet.

Ho boy... I has spreadsheet vertigo!  Was too intimidated after work last night, but decided this morning to not be a chicken shit and had another look. Some of it even makes sense. :D Saved to drive for in depth consideration. Thanks!

• Like 2

On April 20, 2016 at 1:15 AM, SevenofSeven said:

Overhead Press:

7x5@21kg (gym buddy and I found an anomaly, her hand placement was very close together, essentially pushing her boobs together, elbows pointing towards the ground, when she pushed up her elbows stayed pointing forward. When she watched me, she said my hands were directly in front of my shoulders, not squishing my boobs, but I could feel my arms resting on my Lats, elbows up at 45* from the ground, when I pushed she said my elbows rotated slightly, but no flare apparently.

So I tried to emulate her OHP and felt my chest, shoulders and biceps working, with my way I had my upper back, shoulders, tricep working, it was easier to tighten my upper back, Lats, shoulders, arms and core ready to press, her way made it difficult to tighten these areas, and I couldn't find a way to tighten my upper chest [even though this seemed to be the main muscle group working almost like a bench press] and back to get ready to press) more research needed and perhaps a form check. 

Just ts wondering if anyone who understood a word of the above may have tips on correct OHP. Hands in, elbows down all chest and bicep or hands shoulder width, elbows up 45 degrees and back, lat, core.

Hey Seven!

I'm not sure if I can comment much on elbows point toward ground or 45 degrees, but I can say that changing my hand placement was worked for me. 

This is Mark talking about OHP, specifically at 2 minutes in he discusses when you first grab the bar, don't line your knuckles up parallel the way you would with a BP, rotate your hands inward so that the bar is almost diagonal along your palms when you grab it. This has helped me get all my muscles into a much better position. Try it out and tell me what you think!

• Like 4

On 14 May 2016 at 6:00 AM, Brovatar Korra said:

Hey Seven!

I'm not sure if I can comment much on elbows point toward ground or 45 degrees, but I can say that changing my hand placement was worked for me. 

This is Mark talking about OHP, specifically at 2 minutes in he discusses when you first grab the bar, don't line your knuckles up parallel the way you would with a BP, rotate your hands inward so that the bar is almost diagonal along your palms when you grab it. This has helped me get all my muscles into a much better position. Try it out and tell me what you think!

Gym buddy looked a little better with hand position. We didn't do the little push forward like at the beginning, dangerous territory to try such things without a coach. Thank you for posting! Much appreciated.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stonefist said:

Personally, I prefer the thumbless grip for OHP, but that may be from me watching too many Alan Thrall youtube vids.

Different courses for different horses. That'd feel more uncomfortable than an all day sand wedgie to me. 

• Like 1

All right, I have a question I think is worth whispering to a friend in the back of the class and not enough to raise my hand for, but I'll go ahead and put it out to everyone.

How do you count dumbbell weights? For example, in a lunge, if I'm holding a 15lb weight in each hand, would you track that as 15 or 30 lbs? However, if you're doing shoulder presses with them, do you count the combined weight, or the weight of only one db since each arm is lifting on its own? That make sense?

This seems so, I don't know, pedantic, but the question struck me yesterday and won't leave me alone.

I do one arm dB rows and count the weight for one db, since that's all I am holding.  

DB ohp?  Um.....both?  Maybe?  Lunges, holding both, so both?  But bicep curls, uh...one?  Cuz only moving one at a time? 

As long as you stay consistent in your records,  I don't suppose it matters.   

• Like 1

I would typically not combine the weight but clarify that it was a paired weight.  For instance, if I was logging/writing it down, I might have OHP: 5x(2x30) meaning 5 reps with 2 dumbbells at 30# each.  In conversation, I would pluralize the number "dumbbell overhead press, 5 reps with thirties".  A lot of exercises you would do with a pair of dumbbells can be split into one side of a time to incorporate some stabilizing - ie. dumbbell chest press can become piston press.

• Like 1

Personally, I prefer the thumbless grip for OHP, but that may be from me watching too many Alan Thrall youtube vids.

This goes away after the first time you catch a barbell across the face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

This goes away after the first time you catch a barbell across the face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heh, I see my suspicions were correct, I have been watching too many vids. I'll see about changing the grip asap.

2 hours ago, evabo said:

Soooooo, what do people reckon is the best haircut for powerlifting? I see a lot of ladies do the ponytail flip. Should I be working towards this?

Can't help you there, been shaving my head since my teens.........scary to think about hairstyles! :highly_amused:

• Like 1

Why 1 rep short? Just out of curiosity. 

Also would it be it be alright to steadily work out throughout a certain time frame? Rather than do a full workout for an hour or so?

To avoid getting pinned.

And sure. That's what traditionally strong men (farmers, miners, lumberjacks, stevedores) have done

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 20/05/2016 at 11:55 AM, evabo said:

Soooooo, what do people reckon is the best haircut for powerlifting? I see a lot of ladies do the ponytail flip. Should I be working towards this?

Ponytail with plaits into it. Keeps stray hairs out of my face and works for bench.

• Like 2

On May 21, 2016 at 7:18 AM, SpecialSundae said:

Ponytail with plaits into it. Keeps stray hairs out of my face and works for bench.

I like a simple bun for everything. Works great for squats (no ponytail getting caught underneath the bar) and DLs and just about everything except BP. But it is easy to take out the scrunchie and BAM! ponytail.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brovatar Korra said:

I like a simple bun for everything. Works great for squats (no ponytail getting caught underneath the bar) and DLs and just about everything except BP. But it is easy to take out the scrunchie and BAM! ponytail.

But no ponytail flick. :( 

• Like 2

Why 1 rep short? Just out of curiosity. 

Also would it be it be alright to steadily work out throughout a certain time frame? Rather than do a full workout for an hour or so?

Taking the same volume and performing it over a few days has apparently been shown to yield greater results, so I'd say yes.

10 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Taking the same volume and performing it over a few days has apparently been shown to yield greater results, so I'd say yes.

That's awesome so do i have to complete the leg day challenge exatly as it is to join to warriors? I don't have the right weights for it