• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Training Yard: Where We Get Our Learn On

1 hour ago, Dairekor Unwalath said:

That's awesome so do i have to complete the leg day challenge exatly as it is to join to warriors? I don't have the right weights for it

Nope.  You're here.  You want to lift heavy stuff.  You're a warrior...

And to explain a bit more about the 1 rep short.  Most programs advise to stop short of total exhaustion.  Many times that last rep is where form goes totally in the tank and injury happens.  So you don't want to go there.  Using every last bit of strength should be reserved for testing days and competitions (or emergencies like lifting cars off of injured people).  We want to concentrate on training, not testing (as was emphasized at a seminar that @Gainsdalf the Whey nicely summarized for us.)

Plus, most of us work alone.  I very very very seldom fail a rep (other than deadlift).  I can't afford to since most of the time, there is no one else in the gym, or no one strong enough to really help me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildross said:

Nope.  You're here.  You want to lift heavy stuff.  You're a warrior...

And to explain a bit more about the 1 rep short.  Most programs advise to stop short of total exhaustion.  Many times that last rep is where form goes totally in the tank and injury happens.  So you don't want to go there.  Using every last bit of strength should be reserved for testing days and competitions (or emergencies like lifting cars off of injured people).  We want to concentrate on training, not testing (as was emphasized at a seminar that @Gainsdalf the Whey nicely summarized for us.)

Plus, most of us work alone.  I very very very seldom fail a rep (other than deadlift).  I can't afford to since most of the time, there is no one else in the gym, or no one strong enough to really help me.

That one rep short does make a whole lot of sense since like everyone else I'd rather not get injured. Now that you said I'm a warrior I'm gonna go grab a broad sword and go cut some stuff but then remember I'm not to that level yet lol

3 minutes ago, Dairekor Unwalath said:

That one rep short does make a whole lot of sense since like everyone else I'd rather not get injured. Now that you said I'm a warrior I'm gonna go grab a broad sword and go cut some stuff but then remember I'm not to that level yet lol

http://www.sticktwiddlers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/its-dangerous-to-go-alone-take-this.jpg

You'll be right cobber, just don't cut your own ear off. 

• Like 1

More Newb Qs

1. Plate math: Say I have a 45lb bar. And I put a 5lb plate and a 10lb plate on each side, how much is the total weight? I feel as if this is easy, but then I start questioning the very fabric of time and space. When I add two 5lb plates does that mean I added 10lbs or did the makers of plates understand that there would be two and, in actual fact, each 5lb plate weighs 2.5? But then, what on earth does a 2.5lb plate weigh if not 2.5lbs?
  2. Can one judge if one is doing deadlifts right if they are not barking their shins on the bar? Does the fact that I have never needed knee socks mean that I automatically have bad form?
  3. Anyone else trigger their sciatica pain when doing lunges? If so, suggestions on what to do?

That is all. ...for now. Thank you for shining a light my way.

1 hour ago, Alaysia said:

More Newb Qs

1. Plate math: Say I have a 45lb bar. And I put a 5lb plate and a 10lb plate on each side, how much is the total weight? I feel as if this is easy, but then I start questioning the very fabric of time and space. When I add two 5lb plates does that mean I added 10lbs or did the makers of plates understand that there would be two and, in actual fact, each 5lb plate weighs 2.5? But then, what on earth does a 2.5lb plate weigh if not 2.5lbs?
  2. Can one judge if one is doing deadlifts right if they are not barking their shins on the bar? Does the fact that I have never needed knee socks mean that I automatically have bad form?
  3. Anyone else trigger their sciatica pain when doing lunges? If so, suggestions on what to do?

That is all. ...for now. Thank you for shining a light my way.

#1.  add it all up.  5lbs on each side is 10lbs total added.  So your 45lbs + 5lbs + 5lbs + 10 Lbs + 10LBs = 75 lbs.  you are over thinking it.  plates weigh that they are advertised to weigh.  

#2.  make a video and post it in the form check.  Nerds are nice and honest about your form.  It could be a lot of things, like high hips, weight to far forward, but we can't help with out a video.  Do a weight that you struggle to do 3 reps (or less) as your form will break down under stress.  

#3.  Go see a physical therapist.  you're pinching/pulling something you shouldn't be.  

• Like 1

On 5/28/2016 at 9:06 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

Each plate is the weight it says on the plate. So that would be 75#. :)

Yes, don't forget to count the bar.... i did that for the first few months of lifting...

• Like 2

Quick/Easy question:  How do you put the plates on your heavy deadlifts?  I know there are bar jacks that you can lift the bar with, but I don't have one.  It doesn't matter much at the moment, but I'd like to hear any different methods.  If I had to now, I would probably put the bar on some automotive jack stands and lever it over onto the floor.  It's not an elegant solution.  Also, once I'm done lifting, it's not readily reversible to unracking the weights.  I'd have to pick one end up at a time back onto the stands.  Maybe I need to build a bar jack.

6 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Quick/Easy question:  How do you put the plates on your heavy deadlifts?  I know there are bar jacks that you can lift the bar with, but I don't have one.  It doesn't matter much at the moment, but I'd like to hear any different methods.  If I had to now, I would probably put the bar on some automotive jack stands and lever it over onto the floor.  It's not an elegant solution.  Also, once I'm done lifting, it's not readily reversible to unracking the weights.  I'd have to pick one end up at a time back onto the stands.  Maybe I need to build a bar jack.

I use the squat rack bars at the lowest setting , kinda forces you to do one more rep to take weights off or load them up.

But my usual method is to get the plate kinda on, and then one arm row the side up while i use my other hand to slide the weight on. I dont know how heavy your thinking, but I did this for 405 yesterday.

22 hours ago, Grymm said:

there are also these!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

there are also these!

Ok, that's a valid idea.  If I build a deadlift platform, I could buy 2 of those and screw them to the platform.  I'll keep those in mind.  Thanks!  Then again, I could probably do the same with a couple of strips of wood and a stop.  Still a good idea.

4 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Ok, that's a valid idea.  If I build a deadlift platform, I could buy 2 of those and screw them to the platform.  I'll keep those in mind.  Thanks!  Then again, I could probably do the same with a couple of strips of wood and a stop.  Still a good idea.

i'm sure there are a million hits when you google DIY deadlift wedge ;)

4 hours ago, Stonefist said:

I just use a small plate, it works almost exactly like that deadlift wedge thingie.

Yeah, then this happens...

https://youtu.be/HNAbDUwD7Zg

Edited by Juni0r83
I've apparently forgotten how to insert video...

55 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Fast forward to 8 minutes for great justice.

Yeah, mobile sucks for that sort of stuff, sorry. Strong guy though.

5 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

Yeah, then this happens...

https://youtu.be/HNAbDUwD7Zg

1. It only happens if you're as big a slob as the guy in the video.

2. A plate is still cheaper to replace than those wedge things.

3. If you did that exact thing with the wedge there instead of a plate, do you somehow imagine a more favorable outcome?

Conclusion, the only thing I see in that video is a lesson not to be an idiot and leave stuff directly under where you might drop several hundred pounds of iron. Since I already knew this, I beieve I will keep doing what I have been doing.

• Like 2

Questions on warm-up:

1. Is it okay to foam roll before going to the gym? I drive 15 minutes to get there. Is there an expiration on the benefits of rolling for a workout? My gym doesn't have a ton of room unless I can snag the empty class room. Also, one gets quite intimate with a roller and I'm not comfortable enough to do that in front of people.
  2. Should I continue to use the treadmill to get my heart rate up, or can I use dynamic stretching to do the same? Again, the lack of room is inhibitive, but I can find space to do leg swings and things of that nature. Is one better than the other?

3 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

For deadlift loading/unloading: small plate. Don't deadlift over it, just roll the bar on and off when needed and out the plate to the side when not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Whey Wizard has the sensible solution. 

18 hours ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

For deadlift loading/unloading: small plate. Don't deadlift over it, just roll the bar on and off when needed and out the plate to the side when not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, this. Also don't bar slam your deficit instagram lifts because no body cares about your deficit instagram lifts and if you do this you deserve to have your equipment spontaneously explode.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jdanger said:

Yeah, this. Also don't bar slam your deficit instagram lifts because no body cares about your deficit instagram lifts and if you do this you deserve to have your equipment spontaneously explode.

this. bar slamming heavy deads is asking to break things. 

i personally don't use a deadlift wedge or jack or any of those things, but i'm also not deadlifting more than 4 plates ever so it doesn't get overly difficult to slide on and off. 

I have the deadwedge and I'm a fan. I hate doing the god damn plate jiggle and pull trying to get shit on and off my bar.  I suppose one could use the small plate, too. I just like the wedge better.  Also, aside from the fact that you should definitely not be an idiot like the guy in the video the wedge isn't hard. It's rubbery. So, I imagine if you were to leave it on the platform while you lift you probably wouldn't break it. It would still be a stupid ass thing to do, but I don't think it'd break... 

Alright warriors, can I ask some questions about these challenges.

1) does every person create their own

2) is it limited to only 4 weeks?

3) are there required challenges to complete before being accepted in the warrior class?

I thought I had more....lol....I dont.