• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Training Yard: Where We Get Our Learn On

Define "mobility"... I have mobility.  It just hurts.

This is just pain after squats (neck), OHP (shoulder and elbow) and squat (neck and elbow).  Left side only.  It's really affecting the intermittent numbness in my left pinky, wrist and forearm, and my doctor wants me to get a neck X-ray since there's pain in one very specific spot. 

I had something similar to that (pinky numbness and varying tingles along that same arm).  For me it was a disc subluxation in the cervical spine.  Do you see a chiro at all?  The chiro will also require x rays, which isn't a bad thing (aside from the possible financial part), but my guess is you'll see something is squishy or out of place in that region of your spine.  But that's just based on my experience.  I've had it happen a couple times since i started lifting.

For the elbow pain: when you hold your arm out in front of you, palm facing down, which part of the elbow do you feel it in? Towards the top or the bottom?

Sorry, when I say mobility I mean additional mobility work.  I assume you've got some mobilizing under your belt since you're not new here :) I have a handful of  mobility exercises I've logged away from Kstar to use when things get particularly sticky.  I'll do those on top of my regular mobility work. 

From what you've said about neck pain after squats I'd double check that you're not craning your neck back on heavier sets (something easily defaulted into).  And for mobility (sorry I can't find the link to the vid I like right now) I would use a lax ball (or raquet or whatever) on your traps by your neck. In the front on top of your clavical, on top, and on the back. I do this by smooshing it against a corner of the wall (and I wish I could find that video.  I know Rob_ originally posted it (Rob_, you see?!)

I'd also look up some rotator cuff stuff with the lax ball. The easiest one is to lay on the lax ball under your rotator cuff, elbow bent at a 90 degree angle w/ palm up and then lowering it so you're still at a 90 degree angle but now your palm is facing down. 

A lot of that work will help with tension on the elbows, too.  But if you can't get a therabar soon try a google search for tennis elbow fixes.  What MrRed said is a good call and may help.  Just depends on what kind of pain it really is. 

I'm leaving work now or I'd hunt further for the videos I mean.  When I get home tonight I'll see if I can find them and post some more detailed info.  

I thought you were supposed to keep your head and eyes up while doing squats, in order to keep the back properly curved and not all hunched over.  Hmmm, I might have to adjust my form slightly.  

I don't know if my medical covers chiropractic.  I really hope it does, I loved my old chiro. 

I will hunt for those videos!

Definitely the hot pink!

I thought you were supposed to keep your head and eyes up while doing squats, in order to keep the back properly curved and not all hunched over. Hmmm, I might have to adjust my form slightly.

I don't know if my medical covers chiropractic. I really hope it does, I loved my old chiro.

That's a common misunderstanding. Your neck should be straight with your upper back and the bar should be on the back of your shoulders, not on your neck. Particularly with your setup (no squat rack) you need to be careful not to try to press the bar while you squat (which leads to elbow pain).

I'm traveling today but we will get you some videos...can you take one of yourself and post it?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Inflammation - lots and lots of ginger & turmeric tea (with lemon is preferable, fresh ginger and tumeric root), fish oil, and avoid foods with high inflammation markers.

do you have a brand of ginger + tumeric tea you like? or do you DIY?

I don't know about turmeric, but Trader Joe's has a nice, relatively inexpensive, pear and ginger white tea. The Yogi ginger tea is more expensive and contains a lot of black pepper, which is not my favorite taste in tea.

I thought you were supposed to keep your head and eyes up while doing squats, in order to keep the back properly curved and not all hunched over.  Hmmm, I might have to adjust my form slightly.  

I don't know if my medical covers chiropractic.  I really hope it does, I loved my old chiro. 

I was going to respond but saw Wildross did.  Funny, because he was the one who gave me that form tweak in one of my squat videos and I was like, "wait, I can look up with my eyes and not move my neck??!"  Legitimately made me lol at myself.  Now, since I squat in a globo gym with mirrors, I lock my eyes on my chest area and think, "UP!"  Whereas, before I looked up with my whole head or looked down at my knee area, which isn't good.

I hope so! I actually use the cash option at my chiro since my insurance covers it but doesn't cover it very well.  I did the first appointment on my insurance (which took care of the x-ray issues) and then paid cash afterwards.  So it never hurts to ask if they have an option like that.

That's a common misunderstanding. Your neck should be straight with your upper back and the bar should be on the back of your shoulders, not on your neck. Particularly with your setup (no squat rack) you need to be careful not to try to press the bar while you squat (which leads to elbow pain).

I'm traveling today but we will get you some videos...can you take one of yourself and post it?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

And this. 

I DIY. I buy a metric ton of fresh ginger root and turmeric root - both of which are pretty cheap.  I peel and cut up a knob of ginger and a thing of turmeric - dice it small so that there's more surface area for steeping - and pour boiling water over it. Steep for 15 minutes. Add a honkin' slice of lemon right before drinking.  I use a spoon to stir it up and hold back the pieces.  I use maybe 1-2 inches of ginger and turmeric each, but start smaller and work up.  You can also add some honey.

I make megastrong ginger-tumeric-carrot soup.  Time to stock up!

YUM! That sounds amazing.  Recipe?  Definitely! Eat the heck out of that.  Those are wonderfully anti inflammatory.

Okay... off to hunt wild videos...

Okay, found some:

This is what I was talking with the ball around your neck/clavicle/traps. I use a racquet ball or a lax ball since I don't have the ball she mentions in the video.  Here is an alternative way to do this (which looks just oh so painful). 

The first part of the free your scap mwod is one I do all the damn time. I"m not sure if it's in the book or on the site, but I also place the ball where he shows at the top and bridge up with my hips. It really gets in there.  I do the others in this regularly, too.

I can't find a video for the rotator cuff mwod I mentioned but I think it's because it's in the book.  But basically, put the ball in the rotator cuff area, lay on it with arm bent, palm up at 90 degrees. Rotate it arm down, then back (so palm is up near your ear, palm down near your belly button). 

So, if nothing else, these should help relieve some tension on the neck and elbow.  But I'd definitely look into the chiro since you've got the pinky numbness going on.

• Like 1

I DIY. I buy a metric ton of fresh ginger root and turmeric root - both of which are pretty cheap.  I peel and cut up a knob of ginger and a thing of turmeric - dice it small so that there's more surface area for steeping - and pour boiling water over it. Steep for 15 minutes. Add a honkin' slice of lemon right before drinking.  I use a spoon to stir it up and hold back the pieces.  I use maybe 1-2 inches of ginger and turmeric each, but start smaller and work up.  You can also add some honey.

i will have to try this. maybe this weekend. :)

I'm loving the fact that the man is back tracking all his site traffic. I've seen you respond on both /r/weightroom and /r/CrossFit already.

The findings are definitely an eye opener for me, I was not expecting to see the +10-20% muscle activation. I didn't quite get the discussion on the forward lean, were they seeing the extra lean in only the belted lifts? That segment of the writeup was a little confusing.

I'm loving the fact that the man is back tracking all his site traffic. I've seen you respond on both /r/weightroom and /r/CrossFit already.

The findings are definitely an eye opener for me, I was not expecting to see the +10-20% muscle activation. I didn't quite get the discussion on the forward lean, were they seeing the extra lean in only the belted lifts? That segment of the writeup was a little confusing.

Thanks man!  I'm always one who's up for a good discussion, and I feel like the most important part of the writing process is engaging with people who read it.  It helps me become a better writer (did people understand the point I was trying to get across/did I present the topic well?) and it helps me learn more about the topic (because I'm sure there's always something I miss that someone else will spot).

About forward lean - it wasn't different belt vs. no belt, but it was different first rep vs. last rep (more forward lean as you fatigue, regardless of belt useage). 

Hello all!  Level 1 challenger knocking about here, hoping to actually make it out of there and into here in 6 weeks time!

I have a question about accessory work.  Starting Texas Method this week has really highlighted my upper body weakness, I can squat nearly double bodyweight and deadlift just over, yet I can't do a single chin up.  Even with a thick blue band and a medium thick red assistance band put together I couldn't manage any more than 4 in a single set. My bench is also lagging behind at a little over bodyweight.

I feel like I've got plenty of room for improvement here, so my plan is to get into the gym on Saturday mornings and get some accessory work in along with my conditioning work.  I've done a bit of reading and found the options below.  Does anyone have any ideas on if they will help chins & bench? set and rep schemes? target working weights?

Barbell Rows

Dumbell Bench/Floor Press

Dips/Tricep extensions/Skull Crushers

Bro Curls (hehe)

something for the shoulders?

This will be my first experiencec delving into accessory work so not too sure what approach I should be taking.

Hopefully this is the correct area of the forum to be posting in?

Question regarding caloric/protein intake.

I'm currently supplementing my largely paleo diet with cow juice (milk).  I've heard a lot of people talk about how they up their intake on lifting days, and then dial back on recovery days.

I'm almost done with week 4 of Stronglifts (read: the week when shit starts getting heavy) and I've been doing the above.  1/2 gallon milk on lifting days, 1/4 gallon on non lifting days.

However, I guess I'm just concerned that I'm not going to be able to progress adequately enough if I drop my intake on the off days.  Those are the days I'm sore, and feel like I need to extra cow juice to recover.  I'm pretty happy with my caloric intake, otherwise I'd just bump up to 1/2 gallon every day.

So my question is: does it actually make sense to intake less calories on recovery days?

cow_juice_by_awjay-d5h9zjp.jpg

Hello all!  Level 1 challenger knocking about here, hoping to actually make it out of there and into here in 6 weeks time!

I have a question about accessory work.  Starting Texas Method this week has really highlighted my upper body weakness, I can squat nearly double bodyweight and deadlift just over, yet I can't do a single chin up.  Even with a thick blue band and a medium thick red assistance band put together I couldn't manage any more than 4 in a single set. My bench is also lagging behind at a little over bodyweight.

I feel like I've got plenty of room for improvement here, so my plan is to get into the gym on Saturday mornings and get some accessory work in along with my conditioning work.  I've done a bit of reading and found the options below.  Does anyone have any ideas on if they will help chins & bench? set and rep schemes? target working weights?

Barbell Rows

Dumbell Bench/Floor Press

Dips/Tricep extensions/Skull Crushers

Bro Curls (hehe)

something for the shoulders?

This will be my first experiencec delving into accessory work so not too sure what approach I should be taking.

Hopefully this is the correct area of the forum to be posting in?

Here's a list of approved accessory exercises for TM.

gallery_3779_270_9.jpg

Here's how to fit it in the week.

gallery_3779_270_1629.jpg

As far as rep/set schemes go I'd start out with three to five sets of five reps and linearly progress the weights for a while. Once you're moving some decent weight switch to a more "swolleatrophy" rep scheme or eight to twelve reps.

• Like 2

So my question is: does it actually make sense to intake less calories on recovery days?

It depends on what your goals are. If you're focusing on strength I wouldn't reduce at all. If you have body composition goals it might make sense. However, the golden rule is to keep your protein intake consistent (same on both lifting and non-lifting days) and have the calorie reduction come from either carbs or fat.  

Here's a list of approved accessory exercises for TM.

gallery_3779_270_9.jpg

Here's how to fit it in the week.

gallery_3779_270_1629.jpg

As far as rep/set schemes go I'd start out with three to five sets of five reps and linearly progress the weights for a while. Once you're moving some decent weight switch to a more "swolleatrophy" rep scheme or eight to twelve reps.

Thanks for that!  Looks like I was coincidentally looking at about the right kind of accessory work.  Now just to work it into my sessions.

Heyho Warriors, since it said in the beginning there wasn't a question too dumb or too simple to ask, I am gonna ask this: Since I started barbell training, I am not sure about how to count the weight: When I am counting the weight I am lifting, do I add the weight of the bar to the weight I lifted additionally or do I only count the weight without the bar (for example the bar weighs 20 lbs and I put 40 lbs additional weight onto it, do I say I lifted 40 lbs or 60 lbs)? Thanks for answering.

Heyho Warriors, since it said in the beginning there wasn't a question too dumb or too simple to ask, I am gonna ask this: Since I started barbell training, I am not sure about how to count the weight: When I am counting the weight I am lifting, do I add the weight of the bar to the weight I lifted additionally or do I only count the weight without the bar (for example the bar weighs 20 lbs and I put 40 lbs additional weight onto it, do I say I lifted 40 lbs or 60 lbs)? Thanks for answering.

You're lifting 60, don't cut yourself short by removing the weight of the bar. Most standard barbells are 45#, the same as the big plates, so it makes the math easier. 

Question on spotting squats. I've seen a lot of pics and videos where a guy will be squatting a lot of weight and will have a spotter behind the lifter and one on each end of the bar. Does it really work if the lifter fails the lift? It just seems like a good way to get 4 people hurt. Can you experienced folks shed some light for me? 

Question on spotting squats. I've seen a lot of pics and videos where a guy will be squatting a lot of weight and will have a spotter behind the lifter and one on each end of the bar. Does it really work if the lifter fails the lift? It just seems like a good way to get 4 people hurt. Can you experienced folks shed some light for me? 

So the two on the end are there to take some of the weight so the lifter can push back up and re-rack the bar. The guy in the back is there to help the lifter keep his chest up and not collapse forward. It's a pretty safe setup for properly trained lifters. If you are going for a max attempt and fail it is usually not a catastrophic fail wear you just pancake into the ground. Because you have trained to handle the load and if those two on the ends take a bit off you can finish the lift.

I've been spotted this way at SSS with nerds and it worked out well.

But again it applies to people who know how to handle failure, and should not be used by novice trainees or random gym bros.