• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Training Yard: Where We Get Our Learn On

I like seeing people freak out about their numbers and seeing things like 184lb squat and what have you. As if their $300 burner bar is even manufactured with high enough tolerances to know if it's actually 43 or 46 pounds, to say nothing of the twelve ten pound bumpers all with chunks taken out of them that they have loaded on their bar for their FB cover shoot push press.

Man I'm ranty this morning haha.

*...settles in with his coffee to read...*

Been too long since a good jdanger rant was posted.

Sent from a phonical device. Please excuse the shortness

*...settles in with his coffee to read...*

Been too long since a good jdanger rant was posted.

Sent from a phonical device. Please excuse the shortness

You still owe me a rant, sir. 

..their $300 burner bar

This is what kills me about competing at other CF gyms. We have rogue bars, they have shit bars. Why you no spend more money?

My rant should have been more hyperbolic. Some of those bars only cost $150, even from Rogue, and they are all over the place.

On the other end I often have to break the hearts of people trying to do shitty 40kg power cleans or worse, bench, with the competition DHS and Eleiko bars while someone who can actually benefit from the properties of said bars waits to actually do some weightlifting. 

You still owe me a rant, sir. 

This is what kills me about competing at other CF gyms. We have rogue bars, they have shit bars. Why you no spend more money?

I know, I do. I just haven't been cranky enough to put on my old man pants yet.

And honestly, after using comp bars, I wouldn't let a CFer touch an Eleiko, or even the Penday bushing bars without knowing what they can do first. It's almost a sin to watch people with bad form use high quality bars. They just don't have respect for a decent bar most of the time

My rant should have been more hyperbolic. Some of those bars only cost $150, even from Rogue, and they are all over the place.

On the other end I often have to break the hearts of people trying to do shitty 40kg power cleans or worse, bench, with the competition DHS and Eleiko bars while someone who can actually benefit from the properties of said bars waits to actually do some weightlifting. 

Yeah, I honestly feel like a fraud when I go to WL comps and they have the brand new Eleiko bars and plates set up for me. I kinda want to turn to the judges and be like "Really? You want me to put up a small car's worth of plates and bar over my head? Have you seen me lift? This is some kind of joke right? Get the real weightlifters out here, I'll go use that bent thing in the corner." 

That being said, I'd give my left kidney to own them for myself. :D

My coach recently told me how he lost his shit on a guy who decided to use a Pendlay bar to do his rack pulls of course bouncing it off the pins at the bottom.

When I went for my USAW cert, the coach had us bring out eleiko training bars and said: "You will not drop these bars on the ground. They are worth more than your life. Try me and see if I am kidding" 

Seriously. The things people will do even if they do know how expensive they are. If I saw the rack pull thing I'd lose my shit for sure too. I used to have a moratorium on even putting the comp bars in the squat rack but sometimes they are literally the only bars for the lifters to use so I let them squat with them. All the racks are semi new Rogue or Pendlay with the density rubber on the jcups so I begrudgingly accept it. But yeah, if I ever saw anything like the rack pulls, it's DEFCON 1. 

Just last week I had to stop the gym owner (but not bar owner) from attempting a 425lb (424, sorry Seth) front squat with an Eleiko with three hitemp's and an iron 45 on the side. I knew from his last rep that this was going to be a dump so I went over and asked him what he thinks will happen to a bearing collar on a $900 bar when that impact is absorbed by a single iron plate on each side, given that they are a bit larger in diameter than hitemps and are made of iron rather than any sort of absorptive material. He bowed his head and said yeah... and proceeded to go put on thinner 20kg bumpers instead. He did end up missing his 422 front squat and I got the blame for getting him out his zone. Haha.

Stop messing with his vibe, yo.

In case anyone is wondering where all this bar angst is coming from... Greg wrote this up earlier in the week, which obviously we all read. 

Yup, saw that earlier this week. He makes some good points. And it really does make my eye twitch when people don't clean up their platforms/equipment/etc. Attention to detail is key in all things. In fact, I went to CF duck creek last week (where we held 4T) and it was a snatch day. The owner made everyone wipe down their bars from chalk/sweat/etc. I was like "Well done instilling this rule now when you are a small gym. Good habit for them to have" 

Stop messing with his vibe, yo.

Lol, I didn't have the heart to tell him I knew he was going to miss before any of that happened but I let him have it.

I had not seen that article. I think I need to print that out and submit it to 422 front squat guy for general dissemination. 

You guys really have NO idea! I am now training in a high school gym. Granted, it's a badass high school gym (because it's Hassle Free Barbell), but it's still full of high schoolers. They leave shit EVERYWHERE. They don't know how to properly rack anything. Knowing this, the coach has a pretty large collection of beat up bars, but sometimes they get a hold of the competition bars... Yesterday, there was some sort of gooey substance on one of the platforms. I wanted to cry. I mean, they literally have no idea how to treat the equipment.

And it really does make my eye twitch when people don't clean up their platforms/equipment/etc.

I wish my gym enforced a "clean up" rule.  I'm tired of putting away other lifters weights and wiping down the bars after them so I can lift.

I've never seen anything get wiped down there by anyone else.  Of course, the entire gym is kind of gross lol.  Go go Powerhouse!

• Like 1

My gym has 5 or so Eleiko training bars but the condition varies significantly. Two are under three months old and are relatively pristine, mainly because the weightlifters at the gym guard them like their children. Anoter one is in reasonable condition but looks a bit beaten up. Perfectly usable though. The two others though... One barely spins and if you end up having to use it, you can say goodnight to any kind of turnover in the clean and snatch. The other is interesting because it APPEARS to spin frine but in actual fact something is broken inside the bar and the two sides spin ant different speeds. This has the effect of one side rising above the other which makes racking cleans really quite challenging. For some reason it tends to be fine for snatches.

• Like 1

Hey, I've been running with the Rangers this challenge, but I'm looking to maybe shake things up next challenge.

Are there any warriors who have a home set up, or are you all strictly gym members?

Is this going to significantly limit what I'm able to accomplish? I figure with my 2x55lb adjustable dumbbells, and adding in a barbell bar I can get some initial mileage going as a starting point, but wanted your input.

A bunch of us do barbell strength training at home. I turned my garage into a home gym, built around a short power rack.

If you do the big multi-joint barbell lifts like the squat, deadlift, bench press, and overhead press at home, you don't need a gym membership.

My wife and I are casually shopping for a new home, one of the things we are looking at is the ability to put in a home gym so we can both train at home.  Once that's done, gym membership will be cancelled.

You can build a power rack for $200ish or buy a good one from Rogue for little more.  There is a power rack thread in the "equipment" section.

Hey, I've been running with the Rangers this challenge, but I'm looking to maybe shake things up next challenge.

Are there any warriors who have a home set up, or are you all strictly gym members?

Is this going to significantly limit what I'm able to accomplish? I figure with my 2x55lb adjustable dumbbells, and adding in a barbell bar I can get some initial mileage going as a starting point, but wanted your input.

i work out at home. Click the Thlim Gothodrum link in my sig to see.

My wife and I are casually shopping for a new home, one of the things we are looking at is the ability to put in a home gym so we can both train at home.  Once that's done, gym membership will be cancelled.

You can build a power rack for $200ish or buy a good one from Rogue for little more.  There is a power rack thread in the "equipment" section.

Thanks, I'll go check out that thread now.

i work out at home. Click the Thlim Gothodrum link in my sig to see.

That looks great. I'll keep this in mind when I start putting pieces together.

A bunch of us do barbell strength training at home. I turned my garage into a home gym, built around a short power rack.

If you do the big multi-joint barbell lifts like the squat, deadlift, bench press, and overhead press at home, you don't need a gym membership.

Thanks, that's pretty much all I was planning on at the moment. Good to hear there are others doing this.

Good stuff in that article... then again, its more useful when you're in a gym that's actually about lifting, not just... cardio. or something.

IDK. I have gym angst right now.

Question for you knowledgable Nerds:  How do I work on hip flexability and to release tension?

I was warming up for squats on Sunday and I couldn't get my hips to release/relax so I could do squats.  On my 6th warm up set I pulled a muscle in lower back (Chrio fixed in 10 seconds,)  but I would like to avoid that if I can.