• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Training Yard: Where We Get Our Learn On

I do a bunch of body weight squats with some strecthing (hamstring and quad) then I go to squats with the bar, then @135, @225 only moving up as I feel better.  I just wasn't able to feel like I was loosening up in the hips. 

ETA:  my injury was a Facet strain (he used a different word, but I forgot it)

Edited by tyrsnbdr

When I warm up, I usually start with a few quick stretches. I avoid any deep stretching before a workout because I find it usually leads to missed reps.

usually sitting in a squat and driving my knees out with my elbows,

some type of deep lunge

then to check my knees/ankles I put my toes 5-6 in. from a wall and try to touch my knee to the wall a few times

After that I start warmup reps with the bar and work up to my work weight.

If something still feels tight I stretch it a bit more.

If I fell like I missed a rep due to inflexibility rather than fatigue, then I know its time to do some real stretching.

The best time I think to really stretch is right after your workout when your muscles are warm and stretchy. To help with hip flexors I really like the couch stretch. Downward dogs are great for the back circuit so check out some yoga poses.

• Like 1

My coach recently told me how he lost his shit on a guy who decided to use a Pendlay bar to do his rack pulls of course bouncing it off the pins at the bottom.

i know i'm late to the party on this, but yeah... i basically ran over to someone and took the bar out of their hands one time they were going to squat with our good oly bars. (we have two)  head coach yells at people if they touch them.

When I went for my USAW cert, the coach had us bring out eleiko training bars and said: "You will not drop these bars on the ground. They are worth more than your life. Try me and see if I am kidding" 

i remember this. 

heck, i won't even do my pendlay rows with a good bar. i'll finish up my snatches/cleans with the good bar, put that one away and grab a crappy rogue one for snatch or clean dead lifts and rows. 

Hey guys! ive posted this on a few diff threads, but this is probs where i will get the most knowledge! So im at my folks house for a few weeks one aster vacation for uni, and my gym here has a load of strong man stuff! (prowlers, sleds, atlast stones, tyres etc). Im currently doing stronglifts 5*5 and thinking to combined some strongman stuff in there? i was thinking a potential workout could be:

30 minute walk to the gym (god damn not having a car)

warm up with the sledge hammers to get the blood flowing

Squats 5*5

oh press 5*5

bench press 5*5

then i was thinking doing either sled pulls \drags (depending on mood/availiability) or some strong man stuff? Opinions? WOuld this be beneficial?

haha log clean and press makes you feel like a boss too

Yes! My gym has a log too! Might throw some dips and farmers walks in on day A, and log press and chin ups on day 2!

It was the first time I tried it. I'm sure my form was horrible, but I pressed it.  Awesome feeling and completely a full body lift.

I decided to deviate (even more) from stronglifts like you and program in a "bullshit" day that lets me do yoke & farmers walks, tire flips, log cleans, GHR, et cetera.

It was the first time I tried it. I'm sure my form was horrible, but I pressed it.  Awesome feeling and completely a full body lift.

I decided to deviate (even more) from stronglifts like you and program in a "bullshit" day that lets me do yoke & farmers walks, tire flips, log cleans, GHR, et cetera.

Thats a cool idea! I may try something like that over the summer, when i have around 3 months at my home gym (big summers from uni rock) and will be able to see proper progress on the strong man stuff after i get an awesome foundation of strength built up!

• Like 1

Hi - I'm new here and I've just started a challenge thread in the rebels group while I try and figure out all this guild stuff! You warriors seem to be all about lifting right?

I've just started back lifting (I did a bit ages ago) and at the moment I'm just doing the standard routine my gym instructor set up for me. Dumbells and leg machines, 3x12 mostly.

I'd love to start doing some Olympic lifting but haven't a clue where to start. Plus I never seem to be able to get near the bars at my gym, it's always full of big men! Any suggestions for a newbie? My main goal at the moment is fat loss and strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi - I'm new here and I've just started a challenge thread in the rebels group while I try and figure out all this guild stuff! You warriors seem to be all about lifting right?

I've just started back lifting (I did a bit ages ago) and at the moment I'm just doing the standard routine my gym instructor set up for me. Dumbells and leg machines, 3x12 mostly.

I'd love to start doing some Olympic lifting but haven't a clue where to start. Plus I never seem to be able to get near the bars at my gym, it's always full of big men! Any suggestions for a newbie? My main goal at the moment is fat loss and strength.

Try going when it's quiter? I find between 10am-3pm in the weekdays, as this is after the "pre-work rush" or first thing in the morning at the weekend when everyone is hungover!!

I've had a lot of success modifying the big lifts to accommodate dumbbells. This obviously is null if you really wanted to learn the bar! But, if you're a beginner and just looking for strength and fat loss, the dumbbell area might be more accessible. My "big" lifts are goblet squats (traditionally done with a kettlebell), bench press, shoulder press, and deadlift. I do all of them with the dumbbells in my small apartment complex's fitness room and I'm still getting delayed muscle soreness with access to only up to 50lb DBs! I'm sure (or hope!) your big gym has even more DB options.

Certainly, as you lift bigger, you will need to take safer routes and utilize the barbell, squat rack, etc.

Good luck!

Hey Warriors! I need some suggestions on how to improve my OHP. It's my weakest lift and I'm okay with the weight being lower than other weights. I'm not okay with it not progressing or progressing at a snails pace.

Any suggestions for accessory lifts to help build the muscles? I'm currently following Stronglifts but I'm happy to add accessory lifts to improve my OHP.

It's supposed to progress at a snails pace. Get fractional 1 1/4 lb plates on amazon for $10-$20 and use them to progress. Mine has only gone up something like 20 lb a year, but I'm an upper body weakling. As long as press is keeping up to somewhere around 60% of your bench, you're fine.

I believe she already has fractional plates.

TheStephil there are two quick fixes that might help. One is to make sure you're getting enough rest in between sets. Think 5 min. Second is making sure your form is correct. Take a video of your press and post it in the Form Check sub our better yet use this as an opportunity to take part in the Warrior mini challenge. Until then see if the video below helps.

3 Press Fixes:

• Like 2

I have fractional platwa. I might be a bit too impatient with both progress and rest time. However my OHP is about 70% of my Bench so I'll try not to stress too much about it progressing slower. I'll get a form check video taken on Wednesday and watch the video you posted.

Thanks for the help.

Leg asymmetry...

I posted more details on my challenge thread, but in short, I have a very noticeable difference in leg size and strength and was wondering if others have had experience with this and what works best to solve it.

I'm thinking that I'll swap my regular exercises for split leg exercises (ex. squat --> Bulgarian split squat) or dumbells for a while to address this problem. And maybe isolation exercises if necessary...

Any thoughts/experience?

Rip says to get a shim made for the shoe on the short leg.

Do you mean weak leg, or literally shorter leg? The size difference I'm noticing is mostly width. Although, maybe one leg is shorter. How to measure?

I assumed you meant shorter, my bad. If you're just saying there's an imbalance in strength/size, unilateral lifting won't fix it unless you under work the strong leg as the weak one catches up.

Your best get is to use bilateral workouts and cue yourself to lean toward the weaker leg and make it lift its share if you notice the other taking over. I have this problem on my squats a bit where I can feel myself loading up my left leg more and purposely shift a bit to the right. It's only the smallest of shifts, just enough to get the legs even.

Hey guys, i tried OHP again today and seemed to make more progress but unfortunately I wasn't able to complete the last set. Boo.

I had my BF take a video. Could you guys take a look? I rather post it here first before taking it to the form check forum *gulp*

BTW It was taken with sound and was super loud on my computer so I would suggest muting the video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7rb4f6na6yykzps/20140423_173233.mp4

In my opinion something looks wrong but I'm not experienced with this kind of thing.

thank-you-spice.gif

Thank you.

Yea...I don't know.  I watched the video like 8 times and it looks funky but I can't tell why.  From the angle I would suggest tucking your elbows more, they look a bit flared, also trying to hold the bar inline with you wrist. It looks like the bar is placed so that its making you bend your wrist back, also having the bar in line with your wrist/forearm will give you more power.

As for the actual pressing action, I'll leave that to someone else.

Hope that helped at all