• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Training Yard: Where We Get Our Learn On

The bar path isn't straight, you're going around your head. Brush the tip of your nose with it. You are a good 3 inches away right now. You do a very good job of getting under the bar once it passes your head though.

Bar is too high in your hands, causing wrists to be bent backward and "bleed force". The bar should be centered over the column that is your vertical forearm.

Lastly, your lower back is a bit over extended. Squeeze those cheeks and abs (back and front) and push your pelvis forward to make your whole body into a vertical column to best transmit force from the bar to the ground.

Overall, not terrible. These tweaks should help you really feel more steady though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea...I don't know.  I watched the video like 8 times and it looks funky but I can't tell why.  From the angle I would suggest tucking your elbows more, they look a bit flared, also trying to hold the bar inline with you wrist. It looks like the bar is placed so that its making you bend your wrist back, also having the bar in line with your wrist/forearm will give you more power.

As for the actual pressing action, I'll leave that to someone else.

Hope that helped at all

The bar path isn't straight, you're going around your head. Brush the tip of your nose with it. You are a good 3 inches away right now. You do a very good job of getting under the bar once it passes your head though.

Bar is too high in your hands, causing wrists to be bent backward and "bleed force". The bar should be centered over the column that is your vertical forearm.

Lastly, your lower back is a bit over extended. Squeeze those cheeks and abs (back and front) and push your pelvis forward to make your whole body into a vertical column to best transmit force from the bar to the ground.

Overall, not terrible. These tweaks should help you really feel more steady though.

Thank you both.

I'm a bit of a klutz and worry about hitting myself in the face with the bar so that's probably why I swing it forward more. I'll work on that. I'll try to practice my form with a broomstick to get the motion more comfortable.

I've never noticed the bar being that high in my hands before. Not sure if it's a new thing or not but my wrists are sore today so that may be the cause. Thanks for catching that.

Good catch on my back. I didn't realize I was doing that. I'm going to watch some videos and read some articles about it as I'm not very familiar but I will use the tips you suggested.

Once again, thank you both. I'm a bit shy and hate the idea of criticism especially on something I love a lot. I know it's something I have to get over, especially if I want to improve my form but baby steps.

To help with the bar in the hand position try taking a thumbless or suicide grip first. This should automatically place the bar in the meat of the palm directly in line with the forearm. Squeeze your grip hard to lock it in place then wrap your thumbs around.

Posted Image

• Like 1

I have fractional platwa. I might be a bit too impatient with both progress and rest time. However my OHP is about 70% of my Bench so I'll try not to stress too much about it progressing slower. I'll get a form check video taken on Wednesday and watch the video you posted.

Thanks for the help.

Aside from everything they mentioned, which is all great advice, after tweaking form I found that volume helped tremendously in improving OHP.  It still moves slow as hell, but volume is great for OHP.  I feel like you mentioned doing more volume in your thread (was that you?) If so, definitely do that.

Leg asymmetry...

I posted more details on my challenge thread, but in short, I have a very noticeable difference in leg size and strength and was wondering if others have had experience with this and what works best to solve it.

I'm thinking that I'll swap my regular exercises for split leg exercises (ex. squat --> Bulgarian split squat) or dumbells for a while to address this problem. And maybe isolation exercises if necessary...

Any thoughts/experience?

After my knee injury I had one leg that was a lot weaker and I found single leg work helped tremendously.  I still did squats and deads once cleared, but my accessory work was focused on pistol work (not full pistols b/c I can't yet but variations).  If you want to keep squats and stuff in you can always put the split leg stuff first (so BSS, some stuff, then squats, etc).

My issue was quad specific (weaker in regards to hamstrings). If that's your problem, too I highly recommend weighted step ups and looking at which BSS set up emphasizes quads (I forget now but there's a positioning of your foot that affects which muscles are more dominant). 

To help with the bar in the hand position try taking a thumbless or suicide grip first. This should automatically place the bar in the meat of the palm directly in line with the forearm. Squeeze your grip hard to lock it in place then wrap your thumbs around.

zy7uhuge.jpg

This helps a lot.  I do this and it's helped a lot, too.

If it makes you feel any better, I hit myself in the head sometimes.  Just keep your tongue away from your teeth so you don't bite it. It's not that bad :P And you'll get used to it so it'll happen less.

Here's a great video that talks about what Gainsdalf recommends that I found really helpful.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice on the leg asymmetry stuff. Here's what I think I'm gonna do:

1st -- Do leg presses, leg extensions, and glute/ham presses on the machines to figure out whether the leg is actually weaker, and/or where the weakness is.

2nd -- a) If the whole leg is weak -- add days of BSS in place of squats and let the weak leg dictate the number of weight, reps, and sets

B) If some particular part of the leg is weak, i.e. I cant' do as many leg extensions because its my quads, I'll add that to my routine, and let the weak leg dictate the work

3rd -- In either case, I don't want to drop regular squats from my routine, and I need to re-pattern the neuromuscular behavior (reprogram squat-bot) so I'll be actively cuing myself to disperse more weight onto my right leg to even things out.

• Like 1

zy7uhuge.jpg

Perfect, thank you. I wasn't quite sure how to get the bar in the right position but this will help. :)

Aside from everything they mentioned, which is all great advice, after tweaking form I found that volume helped tremendously in improving OHP.  It still moves slow as hell, but volume is great for OHP.  I feel like you mentioned doing more volume in your thread (was that you?) If so, definitely do that.

This helps a lot.  I do this and it's helped a lot, too.

If it makes you feel any better, I hit myself in the head sometimes.  Just keep your tongue away from your teeth so you don't bite it. It's not that bad :tongue: And you'll get used to it so it'll happen less.

Here's a great video that talks about what Gainsdalf recommends that I found really helpful.

I have done volume when I was stuck with the standard bars and couldn't get an Olympic bar because 50 was too high and 40 was too low so I did as many as I could with the 40lbs. It wasn't intended though.

I'll take a look at that video. Thank you.

I used to do these "air bag punches" in this cardio routine DVD that I followed and you spin your hands near your face. I would punch myself in the face every. single. time. It was obnoxious. 

I've been known to hit myself in the chin during OHP :)

I haven't watched the video, because I'm lazy, but one thing I could mention that I'm surprised Gainsdalf didn't point out is the concept of "bulling" - basically pulling just your head back so it gets out of the way of the bar :) I think that's what he called it anyway. And I don't think I can explain it very well. So maybe one of the dudes here can!

Just keep on keeping on with OHP. It's a bitch but you got this!

Hey guys! Long story short: ive not been eating paleo for a couple of months now and starting to feel lathargic again, which sucks! When i did paleo, i lost around 20 pounds, and got a bit leaner too. My question is, can i use Paleo if i intend to put on some decent muscle mass, can i do it affordably? 

I have a little local continental supermarket on my street that has a cool green grocer section, and butchers too, would it be cheaper to shop a few times per week to minimise waste? Also, would you guys recommend any supplements? 

Thanks in advance! 

Also, oats of the gluten free type? yay or nay? Ive heard mixed things about that topic. Also, if anyone else is currently "bulking" on paleo, could i be as cheeky to ask wha a typical day of eating affordably is like? Cheers!

Hey guys! Long story short: ive not been eating paleo for a couple of months now and starting to feel lathargic again, which sucks! When i did paleo, i lost around 20 pounds, and got a bit leaner too. My question is, can i use Paleo if i intend to put on some decent muscle mass, can i do it affordably? 

I have a little local continental supermarket on my street that has a cool green grocer section, and butchers too, would it be cheaper to shop a few times per week to minimise waste? Also, would you guys recommend any supplements? 

Thanks in advance! 

Also, oats of the gluten free type? yay or nay? Ive heard mixed things about that topic. Also, if anyone else is currently "bulking" on paleo, could i be as cheeky to ask wha a typical day of eating affordably is like? Cheers!

I view paleo as a guideline more than a strict dietary plan to be followed so my advice is with that in mind. 

GF oats and white rice, if you're trying to bulk, would be very helpful.  I eat one or both of those on workout days now that I can't eat sweet potato.  It's been hell for me to get enough carbs otherwise.  YMMV  I've also found these to cut down on my food costs.

Affordability will depend on your stores and budget, really. But I think you can, yes.  If you shop smart.  I eat 85% wild caught, grassfed, organic, and pastured food (the rest is a hodge podge of standard grocery store meat, etc).  If I plan it out ahead of time, which I do, I find it's pretty easy to make it work.  

I buy and cook the majority of my food at once and then just eat it throughout the week.  If I plan to cook at home I sometimes I go and pick stuff up since that does minimize waste.   If you cook daily then I'd say a couple trips might work well for you.  You could also consider mass cooking meat that you can add to a variety of dishes (ground beef, shredded chicken, for example) and then picking up veggies a couple times a week or buying some veggies frozen to keep on hand. 

• Like 1

I view paleo as a guideline more than a strict dietary plan to be followed so my advice is with that in mind. 

GF oats and white rice, if you're trying to bulk, would be very helpful.  I eat one or both of those on workout days now that I can't eat sweet potato.  It's been hell for me to get enough carbs otherwise.  YMMV  I've also found these to cut down on my food costs.

Affordability will depend on your stores and budget, really. But I think you can, yes.  If you shop smart.  I eat 85% wild caught, grassfed, organic, and pastured food (the rest is a hodge podge of standard grocery store meat, etc).  If I plan it out ahead of time, which I do, I find it's pretty easy to make it work.  

I buy and cook the majority of my food at once and then just eat it throughout the week.  If I plan to cook at home I sometimes I go and pick stuff up since that does minimize waste.   If you cook daily then I'd say a couple trips might work well for you.  You could also consider mass cooking meat that you can add to a variety of dishes (ground beef, shredded chicken, for example) and then picking up veggies a couple times a week or buying some veggies frozen to keep on hand. 

Thanks! Its not s much oats that set me off, or necessarily gluten, just refined shite! Last time i did paleo i didn't eat any rice, so was really low carb! I'll try and get a macro nutrient and eating plan sorted ready for going back to uni on monday! 

Has anyone seen this novice program from PTW?

From what I can tell its only been up for a week or two.

I watched the video over the weekend...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=whF38kOd0Y4

I was intrigued because its specific to strength training and powerlifitng and I like the flexibility in progression.

Also, its all online, free e-book and spreadsheets.

But, I feel like it might be too specific, and/or lacking some useful volume.

Good place for future warriors interested in powerlifting to start?

Thoughts?

Thanks! It's true, I can squat deeper in that stance. 

And thanks also Jaymul and Superjenni! It's good to know there are others in a similar position. My sister had an ACL replacement and my Dad has bad knees, so I'm trying to look after mine :) Though I showed my sister that video of John Broz squatting 220kgs two weeks after his knee surgery and she was all :hororr: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H7EVZ75HgE)

Super impressive video.  Here I am complaining of a sprained foot. :neglected:

Hi everyone! I'm new around here and I'm considering doing the strong lift program. My goal is to gain strenght as well as muscle definition. Would this be the right plan to follow? If so, should I supplement with other exercises? I need to start slow since I've been on the bench for the past 5 weeks on crutches.

Thank you in advance

Hi everyone! I'm new around here and I'm considering doing the strong lift program. My goal is to gain strenght as well as muscle definition. Would this be the right plan to follow? If so, should I supplement with other exercises? I need to start slow since I've been on the bench for the past 5 weeks on crutches.

Thank you in advance

strength and muscle? Yeah, it'll do yah. Definition however is based on body fat levels and hence 90% depends on proper diet.

Hi warriors! Working on my first challenge and I've got a question for those of you who are experienced at picking up heavy things and putting them back down again. I bought the 3rd edition of Starting Strength and read it with serious attention to detail (I'm basically using the info from SS on how to lift and applying it to the linear progression model of programming laid out in SL5x5). Once I felt like I had a good grasp on safety and mechanics, I started trying stuff out for a few weeks. Today, while doing low bar back squats, a couple of huge dudes complimented my form - on my very last set, when I felt like I was struggling and everything was going to hell (so that's good, right? even when I'm dying, I'm really really form-conscious?) Also, I've video-taped myself from the side on my last sets and, honestly, I feel like I'm matching the angles that Rippetoe describes pretty well. All of this to say: I think my form might be good at the tiny weights that I'm currently finding challenging (5x5x140lbs).

My obsession with form is really all about injury prevention. After reading SS, I picture all of the horrible things you can do to your back and knees with bad form and heavy weights. This brings me to my question (finally): is it normal to have lower back soreness (I don't know that I'd describe it as pain per se) several hours or the day after doing challenging squat sets if your form is good? My thinking is that I'm basically working my spinal erector muscles hard to keep my back and spine at the proper angle, and that doing so is making them sore, like any other muscle. Is this likely to be what's going on, or is it more likely that I've still got a form problem causing this? In the future, I'll get a form check video made and posted up here, I guess I'm just wanting to see if this is a really common thing for those of you who aren't total newbs.

Thanks everyone!

I don't know if I'd call it soreness.  I can tell the day after I've squat, though I tend to feel it more in my quads than my back.   But I've been told that I have unusually large back muscles (and that was before I started lifting heavy).

Not a dr, etc, etc.  but from my experience if it is stiffness/achiness and it goes away within a day or two, yeah, that's just working on the muscles.  Sharp stabbing pain needs to be listened to.  Achiness usually needs to be worked out.

• Like 1

I don't know if I'd call it soreness.  I can tell the day after I've squat, though I tend to feel it more in my quads than my back.   But I've been told that I have unusually large back muscles (and that was before I started lifting heavy).

Not a dr, etc, etc.  but from my experience if it is stiffness/achiness and it goes away within a day or two, yeah, that's just working on the muscles.  Sharp stabbing pain needs to be listened to.  Achiness usually needs to be worked out.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. My younger brother just found out he has a disc herniation at L5-S1 last week, so my injury paranoia is at an all-time high.

I asked a nurse I work with (who's a life-long lifter) if she gets anything like what I've described, and she says she does. She likes to grab a pull-up bar and hang after doing heavy squats as she feels it provides some "spinal decompression." I've got a pull-up bar in between my office and restroom, so as soon as I was done chatting with her, I gave it a try. I have to admit, it feels a bit better.

I definitely won't ignore any sharp stabbing pain, and I'll pay closer attention to how this runs its course between sessions. Thanks again for your input!

• Like 1

Completely normal. It won't be that way forever, enetually your back won't be the weak link in the squat, especially if you get deadlifting heavy.

And get yourself a foam roller if you don't have one.  Lots of stuff is going to get sore and tight and the roller is the first basic tool of relief.

Thanks, Gainsdalf and Hermione. I hadn't thought of my back as being the weak link at the moment, but that sure makes a lot of sense. I'll definitely be picking up a good foam roller, too. They have a million at my gym (which is like 5 minutes from me by car), but I'd love to just drop down on my floor and work some of this out at home.

And get yourself a foam roller if you don't have one. Lots of stuff is going to get sore and tight and the roller is the first basic tool of relief.

I've read not to foam roll your back because of the spine. Is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Excuse any short replies, please.

I've read not to foam roll your back because of the spine. Is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Excuse any short replies, please.

Huh, I've never read that.  I'd say generally speaking no, that's probably not accurate.  The caveat is we're all unique snowflakes so I'm sure there are people out there who should not foam roll.

But, my chiropractor and a few I know are huge advocates of foam rolling. So.. there's that :P

• Like 1

I'll cosign the foam roller thought.

I get excited when it's time to foam roll.  The sweet pain of working out the spots in need gets me fired up to lift for the day.

• Like 1