• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

The Training Yard: Where We Get Our Learn On

to my knowledge, there are a lot of warrior here with the same concern. it could be ankle mobility, bone structure, balance or a combination! i resolved myself to a wider stance with my toes pointing outwards, this is where my squat is most comfortable. i still "lean forward" more than what some strict form folks might like, but i'm listening to my body!

I like this video: 

and also here's an old thread with a video of my squats, how wide i stand and how much i fold :)  

• Like 2

A little backstory, today was a squat day, the plan was to squat 100kg, normal progression, anyway, my mind was kind of screwed being like that's too heavy etc. I decided to do a few more warm up sets but keep feeling like that will be too much (just mental, I had no problems with 95kg as last warm up). 

So I put on the 100kg lock it out of the squat rack do my first two squats and as I go down to the third the plates on the left side hit the "safetys" so the left side bounces up, most of the weight on my right side I try to balance this as I get back up and drop the bar back into the rack, feeling like wtf.

I didn't injure or hurt myself, but mentally I was done, kind of finished the rest of my workout but without really pushing it. So now I thought about the mental "problem" I have with the weight and how to fix this, my idea would be to squat, less weight the next time like 90kg and afterwards switching to the power rack setting the safety bars slightly below my standing height, loading up the bar with 100kg - 120kg doing the one inch squat and just standing there for 5-10 seconds with the weight on my shoulders to get used to it.

Good idea or pure stupidity?

8 hours ago, SjardisDead said:

A little backstory, today was a squat day, the plan was to squat 100kg, normal progression, anyway, my mind was kind of screwed being like that's too heavy etc. I decided to do a few more warm up sets but keep feeling like that will be too much (just mental, I had no problems with 95kg as last warm up). 

So I put on the 100kg lock it out of the squat rack do my first two squats and as I go down to the third the plates on the left side hit the "safetys" so the left side bounces up, most of the weight on my right side I try to balance this as I get back up and drop the bar back into the rack, feeling like wtf.

I didn't injure or hurt myself, but mentally I was done, kind of finished the rest of my workout but without really pushing it. So now I thought about the mental "problem" I have with the weight and how to fix this, my idea would be to squat, less weight the next time like 90kg and afterwards switching to the power rack setting the safety bars slightly below my standing height, loading up the bar with 100kg - 120kg doing the one inch squat and just standing there for 5-10 seconds with the weight on my shoulders to get used to it.

Never a dumb idea to squat in the power/squat rack (I'm assuming the problem set was done in a squat rack that has 'fixed' safety bars?).

I'm wonder why the left side hit safetys while the right side didn't. How wide is your grip? Typically when I squat, the bar doesn't tilt much, when I've hit safetys its been pretty much both sides.

The main thing, just get back in there. I've had a few spectacular failures over the past couple years, which led to a beet red face on me and much laughter from others (and me too once we all realized I was alright). Make sure you know how to bail correctly and just stick to it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SjardisDead said:

Walkouts are a pretty common way to acclimate onesself to heavier weight. I wouldn't mess around with the safeties though. Just load the weight up on the bar and walk it out as you would with a normal squat. And after that, load it up even heavier and do it again. After having a supermaximal load on your back a few times, the actual weight you want to squat will feel like nothing in comparison. But I do think there's value in doing the actual movement of picking the weight up off the pins, stepping back, getting in position, etc., as opposed to just a static hold in a format you would never actually use for a real squat.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

Walkouts are a pretty common way to acclimate onesself to heavier weight. I wouldn't mess around with the safeties though. Just load the weight up on the bar and walk it out as you would with a normal squat. And after that, load it up even heavier and do it again. After having a supermaximal load on your back a few times, the actual weight you want to squat will feel like nothing in comparison. But I do think there's value in doing the actual movement of picking the weight up off the pins, stepping back, getting in position, etc., as opposed to just a static hold in a format you would never actually use for a real squat.

Yep! Agree. This is actually a pretty common technique w/ both sqaut and bench.

15 hours ago, SjardisDead said:

I didn't injure or hurt myself, but mentally I was done, kind of finished the rest of my workout but without really pushing it.

The walkouts sound good and I might try them, too. The only thing I would add is that sometimes failing a few times can actually make you more relaxed. I was having regular psych-outs with my deadlifts and was afraid of the weight being too heavy, and some of the nerds asked "why, what happens when you fail the weight?" and I realised I'd never failed a deadlift. So I lifted to true failure a few times and--surprise--nothing bad happens. You put it back down. It goes "clink". For squat, maybe just test a couple of times what it feels like to descend, start your ascent, then change your mind and lower the barbell back onto the safeties. Hopefully you will then have a more physically grounded knowledge/feeling that you are safe to attempt a heavy weight.

On 9/6/2019 at 4:30 PM, Harriet said:

The walkouts sound good and I might try them, too. The only thing I would add is that sometimes failing a few times can actually make you more relaxed. I was having regular psych-outs with my deadlifts and was afraid of the weight being too heavy, and some of the nerds asked "why, what happens when you fail the weight?" and I realised I'd never failed a deadlift. So I lifted to true failure a few times and--surprise--nothing bad happens. You put it back down. It goes "clink". For squat, maybe just test a couple of times what it feels like to descend, start your ascent, then change your mind and lower the barbell back onto the safeties. Hopefully you will then have a more physically grounded knowledge/feeling that you are safe to attempt a heavy weight.

You could also have someone else load the bar progressively with small weights and not tell you what is on it.  But you need someone you trust.

• Like 1

Just now, wildross said:

You could also have someone else load the bar progressively with small weights and not tell you what is on it.  But you need someone you trust.

I Watched spezzi go through this with 100kg squat I think.  Took her a good while to get past the “weight that hurt me”. @spezzi might have ideas as well.

27 minutes ago, wildross said:

Interesting! I will just tag @SjardisDead. I don't actually have a feared number or anything, I've failed loads of deadlifts by now. And a few squats. And many benches. 

2 hours ago, wildross said:

I Watched spezzi go through this with 100kg squat I think.  Took her a good while to get past the “weight that hurt me”. @spezzi might have ideas as well.

You mean @spezzy ? :) 

Has anyone ever had foot pain from deadlifts? 

2 weeks ago I pulled heavy (for me) and for a few days afterwards my heel of my right foot was tender when walking. Felt like it was bruised but didn't see any bruising. I assumed it was because I was deadlifting barefoot on a concrete floor. 

The next week was a Deload Week so went super light. This week I pulled semi heavy, this time in shoes, but again my heel is tender. Feels like I just agrivated it. 

On 10/28/2019 at 10:05 AM, h3r0 said:

Has anyone ever had foot pain from deadlifts? 

2 weeks ago I pulled heavy (for me) and for a few days afterwards my heel of my right foot was tender when walking. Felt like it was bruised but didn't see any bruising. I assumed it was because I was deadlifting barefoot on a concrete floor. 

The next week was a Deload Week so went super light. This week I pulled semi heavy, this time in shoes, but again my heel is tender. Feels like I just agrivated it. 

Was that your first time deadlifting heavy out of shoes?

7 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Was that your first time deadlifting heavy out of shoes?

Earlish yes. It eventually healed and I wear shoes now but I'd rather not 

1 minute ago, h3r0 said:

Earlish yes. It eventually healed and I wear shoes now but I'd rather not 

Potentially just a shock to your system to lift without the padding. If it's all healed now, go back to shoeless, leave your ego next to your shoes, and DL light. You'll get back to where you are now fairly quickly, but anytime you make a change in how you lift, drop weight. Your body will thank you.